Voice of KARR

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sir Knight
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Voice of KARR

Post by Sir Knight » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:37 pm

What ever happened to the guy who voiced KARR ? And do you think he sounded good :?:

sfusco3
Rookie

Re: Voice of KARR

Post by sfusco3 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:23 pm

Which one there were two people to voice KARR first being Peter Cullen in Trust doesn't rust, second is Paul Frees in kitt vs karr. Peter Cullen is the voice of Optimus Prime in the original transformers cartoon as well as the movies, and reprised is role as karr for the Knight Rider 08 Series knight to kings pawn

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:26 pm

Peter Cullen is the Man...Im so glad he came back for Karr in KR08 :D
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

msKEN
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by msKEN » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:33 pm

Paul Frees passed away in 1986. :cry: He was involved in over 250 movies, cartoons, and TV shows. I would say he was most famous for the voice of Jack Frost/Frosty The Snow Man/Santa in all of those old childhood clay animation films like Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and Frosty The Snowman. Though he does have a huge list of other credits for other popular shows and cartoons.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LCBenson
Recruit

Post by LCBenson » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:40 pm

This is going to be kinda sad, but I only have the first two seasons. So... Does Paul Frees sound the same as the first guy? I mean, can you REALLY tell it changed? I hope you can't. I'm not one for changes. :) Guess that's why I don't like Knight Rider 08... Hm. Anyway, answer please.
If I am destroyed, so shall you be.

jyd85
Operative

Post by jyd85 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:34 pm

This is going to be kinda sad, but I only have the first two seasons. So... Does Paul Frees sound the same as the first guy? I mean, can you REALLY tell it changed? I hope you can't. I'm not one for changes. :) Guess that's why I don't like Knight Rider 08... Hm. Anyway, answer please.
The voices are somewhat different, but it's not too much of a dramatic change.

I like Peter Cullen in other roles, but I prefer the way Paul Frees portrayed Karr. The character wasn't as robotic and computerized in K.I.T.T. VS. K.A.R.R. He was more cunning and manipulative, and Frees did a good job at pulling that off.

I feel he fleshed out Karr's voice better.
If you'd be so kind as to put me down.

Down?

My dear, I'm a car. Not a plane.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:21 pm

jyd85 wrote:
The voices are somewhat different, but it's not too much of a dramatic change.

I like Peter Cullen in other roles, but I prefer the way Paul Frees portrayed Karr. The character wasn't as robotic and computerized in K.I.T.T. VS. K.A.R.R. He was more cunning and manipulative, and Frees did a good job at pulling that off.

I feel he fleshed out Karr's voice better.
I loved the way Karr sounded in kitt vs. karr.He was cunning and devious.He sounded more human than in Trust Doesn't Rust.Peter Cullen got Karr good for a first episode to show how he was more a prototype of kitt as a basic first step towards artificial intelligence but not too far from the basic pre-programmed computer responses.

LCBenson
Recruit

Post by LCBenson » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Yay! You do have a point about him being the prototype and his voice being more... computer like as a result of that. Soon I'll own all four seasons and I'll be able to see it myself. I should be able to get it soon. Yay!!!
If I am destroyed, so shall you be.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:29 pm

LCBenson wrote:Yay! You do have a point about him being the prototype and his voice being more... computer like as a result of that. Soon I'll own all four seasons and I'll be able to see it myself. I should be able to get it soon. Yay!!!
Correct me if I am wrong - but wasn't Paul Frees the Original KARR Voice, and then Peter Cullen for the second version?

One of the most common times anyone will hear Paul Frees' voice is when they go to the Haunted Mansion at any Disneyland. Listen to this set of outtakes from him performing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlR9YeewwJw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think Paul has a more 'evil' sound to his voice. Whereas Peter sounds stronger and bolder. More aggressive.

Different styles, but both equally devilish.

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Tue May 18, 2010 4:26 pm

no simon its the other way round peter cullen in trust doesnt rust paul frees in kitt v karr
michael;i've got a problem.
devon;my dear boy,dont be so modest,you have a wide range of problems.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:42 pm

peterp&j wrote:no simon its the other way round peter cullen in trust doesnt rust paul frees in kitt v karr
I stand corrected. But my god do they sound similar when you listen to them at the same time (thx to Youtube).

But yeah, the sound from Paul is more harsh, more deep and meaning ful. I almost didn't notice Optimus!!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue May 18, 2010 8:31 pm

I've always preferred Paul Frees' version of K.A.R.R., both in terms of the voice and the fleshed-out character development. He had a lot of time to analyze and interpret during those two years in the salt water. I like his evolution as it's similar to K.I.T.T.'s where he sounded more computer-like in the Pilot, compared to, say, "Voo Doo Knight" and especially Knight Rider 2000.

I felt bad for K.A.R.R. and even sometimes laughed at his responses in "Trust Doesn't Rust." I feared him in "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R." He's the anti-K.I.T.T. and works better as a character that way.

:karr:
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Irony
Rookie

Post by Irony » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:40 am

I didn't know that the second voice of KARR died. :( It is so sad, I think a part of KARR died with him.
Intelligence is the right of all free beings