Locations ?

This forum contains discussions about the locations used for the 1982 series.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro, Joe Huth

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Locations ?

Post by Sue » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:31 am

DSC_2052.jpg
DSC_2052.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 40632 times
When I went before to Chandler and Vineland, I thought the old warehouse from Custom KITT had been torn down. But I happened to get a look at it from a different angle it looks as though one of them might still exist.

I also turned and looked the other way down Chandler to get a look at the location Joe posted above. It looks like there are even less buildings still standing than even the google maps show. The whole lot appears to be empty. I'll have to go back and get some better pics of it.
DSC_2054.jpg
DSC_2054.jpg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 40632 times
DSC_2055.jpg
DSC_2055.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 40632 times
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Awesome, Sue, thanks for the photo shoot!

A couple quickies:

Where the KITT pulls out of the semi in "Knight of the Rising Sun":

W. Paseo del Mar, San Pedro, CA:

Matt Erickson's office in "Knight Behind Bars":

Oakdale Ave, Los Angeles:

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Sue and Joe, :D

Very congratulations!

I really enjoyed seeing the locations on the photos and images on television Knight Rider!

You are the best!

8)
Alex.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:30 pm

Okay guys, I have a special treat for you today. I have been working on this on and off for a few months now.

I present to you...NEARLY EVERY FILMING LOCATION from "Knight of the Drones"!! To include the chase through the hills of San Francisco!

Due to the sheer number of images, they are not in any particular order!! First image is from the show, second is from Google Streetview.

I'm tired!!

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Joe,

I think it’s fair to say that for all of the braggadocios and ire raising comments that have been witnessed over the years, you’re one of only a select few people that have constantly worked to provide a positive influence, whether it’s been through new insights, or rare snippets of knowledge.

On behalf of everyone, I just wanted to say thanks for making such a huge contribution for such a great length of time. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Matt,

THANK YOU for the kind words. For the most part, this community has been very kind to me so it brings me great joy to be able to provide info like this to everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Joe

MikeBKnight
Rookie

Post by MikeBKnight » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Yes, I too feel the need to chime in as well and say THANK YOU for taking the time and putting together everything ! Must have taken forever ! I very rarely post, but in this case, I definitely think you deserve a "thank you" ! You are a true asset to the Knight Rider community :)
Mike

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:23 am

Thanks, Joe. :)

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Showpro1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Joe,
AS always great pics, and thenext time I drive through California with KITT I will
have to check out a couple of these spots.
Happy Thanks Giving,

Dave D.

one_man
Operative

Post by one_man » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:24 pm

Joe,

This is by far the most comprehensive KR-location post on this forum :good:
Too bad I was visiting San Francisco a couple months before this post came out.

BTW, could you post the address of the prison in the beginning of the episode?

happy thanksgiving!

one_man
-- I am one man who does not exist.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:35 am

one_man,

Thanks! The prison is in reality the "San Francisco Jail # 3", located on Moreland Dr in San Bruno, CA.

Joe

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Wow Joe, thar's awesome!
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:40 am

Does anyone have the Midnight Club: Los Angeles game? I'm considering to buy it for PS3 and to my understanding it has a free roaming mode in the city, would be cool to know if there's Knight Rider filming locations too in the game to see :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Club_Los_Angeles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Here's another big location I'd like to find. The mansion used in both "The Topaz Connection" and "Knight in Disgrace":

From "Topaz":

From "Disgrace":

Let the hunt begin!

Joe
You'll never believe me but I think I found this freaking place. I can't upload pictures at the moment, but, check out the corner of:

Woodland Ave and S Oakland Ave
Pasadena, CA

EDIT: This is definately it. Somebody hook me up with the pics.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Hmmm......well the Streetview shot definitely looks like the entrance...but check out the aerial shot of the mansion...unless it underwent some SEVERE updating, I'm not sure it's the same place.

Joe

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Hmmm......well the Streetview shot definitely looks like the entrance...but check out the aerial shot of the mansion...unless it underwent some SEVERE updating, I'm not sure it's the same place.

Joe
Joe, two things. Take the screenshot of KITT rounding the corner. Personally, I can now make out "Woodland" (in all caps of course) on the sign. And look at the entrance to the house adjacent. See the two white short brick columns on either side of that driveway? With the two round lamp-looking things?

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Here's some more dirt on the place
When I first moved to Southern California, in the year 2000, this mansion was actually under construction. (There are some differing reports which state the mansion was built in 1991, but when I visited the property in 2000 and in subsequent years, it was still undergoing construction.) The building was finally completed about two years ago and the home has sat empty ever since. So strange!

From what I heard from a real estate agent, in 1997 the owners actually purchased three different neighboring mansions on South Oakland Avenue in Pasadena only to completely knock them all down and build the monstrosity that stands there today. Sadly, one of the homes that was demolished was a mansion that formerly stood at 1284 S. Oakland that was featured as the Clampbett’s new upscale digs in the 1993 movie The Beverly Hillbillies. Such a bummer!!!
http://www.iamnotastalker.com/2008/11/1 ... -pasadena/

It may also be worth noting that this place carries an address of 1288 S. Oakland Ave. We've seen two similar shots of the entrance with the lions. One from Topaz, the other Disgrace. One of them shows "525" on the columns. Could the estate at one point used the address of 525 Woodland Ave, only to change to the S. Oakland address as part of ongoing renovations? I don't find it coincidence that if you Google 525 Woodland, it'll put you smack dab in the middle of this property.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:36 pm

And some more... This place was used in The Beverly Hillbillies movie in '93. It looks like even in 1993 the place had undergone a renovation. However, you'll notice the grounds look VERY much like the Knight Rider sequences from 10 years prior (with the lions and the four tall skinny trees).

You can watch the movie here: http://veehd.com/video/2178332_TheBeverlyHillbillies. You'll need to install DivX to view it. The mansion scenes start at the 17:00 minute mark. Spoiler alert: It's painted pink!

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:23 am

You know what? After examining it a bit more, I think you HAVE found it! Nice work! The three points that convinced me...

1. The driveway entrance - looks nearly identical to KR:

2. As you said, the white pillars with the globe lights that you see when KITT turns the corner off Woodland...they are identical.

3. This satellite image from 1994 - while it's hard to see the house, you can see that the fountain area was rectangular and still had those immense trees on each corner, just like KR:

from the '93 Beverly Hillbillies Movie:

Let's just be thankful this developer didnt do this to our beloved Foundation at Arden Villa, which is only 1.5 miles from this location.

Again, GREAT sleuthing!

Joe

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:54 am

Joe Huth wrote:You know what? After examining it a bit more, I think you HAVE found it! Nice work! The three points that convinced me...

1. The driveway entrance - looks nearly identical to KR:

2. As you said, the white pillars with the globe lights that you see when KITT turns the corner off Woodland...they are identical.

3. This satellite image from 1994 - while it's hard to see the house, you can see that the fountain area was rectangular and still had those immense trees on each corner, just like KR:

from the '93 Beverly Hillbillies Movie:

Let's just be thankful this developer didnt do this to our beloved Foundation at Arden Villa, which is only 1.5 miles from this location.

Again, GREAT sleuthing!

Joe
Thanks Joe. I've been looking for this place for months now. I feel like I've graduated or something. Where in the world did you find that satellite shot from '94? Anyways, I found some more info on the estate. Take it for what it's worth. This may explain the renovations.
You will also get screwed because the house needs a lot of renovation. You’d probably be better off just buying a hotel in Vegas. This house is a reconstructed version of the original 1913 house, which was severely damaged by fire in 1988. The then owners decided to raze the house and rebuild it in 1990. No one has lived on the property since 1987, but former owners include a child star and a mistress of Ferdinand Marcos.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2006/10/p ... sadena.php

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:12 am

I used Google Earth...they have satellite images archived back to 1994, but as you can see from the pic above, the quality isnt that great. I'm going to do some google searches to see if I can find any info on the fire.

Joe

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:31 am

Bingo! Jackpot...I found a 67 page PDF that contains TONS of info on the property from 1913 to present....including photos...check it out:

http://web.archive.org/web/200611210701 ... akland.pdf

Joe

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:46 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Bingo! Jackpot...I found a 67 page PDF that contains TONS of info on the property from 1913 to present....including photos...check it out:

http://web.archive.org/web/200611210701 ... akland.pdf

Joe
Dang that is awesome! That place has a lot of history. I'm going to read that article. It's a shame the old place burned down, only what, 4 or 5 years after KR was filmed there?

Intersting for a place that old, outside of the folks that lived there early on, there really haven't been THAT many people to call that place home. Seems as if it's been vacant most of the time and just collecting dust while the bank sits on it.

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Also, notice that no where in that article (that I have found) does it mention the address as 525 Woodland. If you notice in The Topaz Conenction, those pillars didn't say 525 but in "Knight in Disgrace" they did. Perhaps the 525 was simply placed there by the set decorators? Although, like you said, it's too much of a coincidence that entering that address in Google Maps takes you to that exact spot. I did see how they consolidated three plots of land into one parcel in the last decade or so...so maybe one plot was 525 Woodland? Who knows...

This location was very high up on my "to find" list...thanks!

Joe

one_man
Operative

Post by one_man » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:13 am

Joe, excellent detective work :good: This cold case is finally closed.
Unsolved cases: The Comtron building, and the House of the Rising Sun

Just to add something that might be related:
The following scene (starting at 1:13) in Automan (Murder MTV [episode 9])
might have been filmed at the same mansion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBuq6r5sSi4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see lion statues in the background. Unlike KR, the automan
scene could have been shot at the rear side of the mansion.
-- I am one man who does not exist.