Turbo Boost

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sir Knight
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Turbo Boost

Post by Sir Knight » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:48 pm

How exactly did Turbo Boost propel KITT into the air ?

Kal-el4
Operative

Re: Turbo Boost

Post by Kal-el4 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:22 am

which kitt we talking about here? original, or KI3T?

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:28 am

Well according to show it was Jet Booster that propelled it. But in real life ramps were used to launch the cars. Alot of them were tore up doing those scenes

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:01 am

I think we all assumed air guns.In the episode Plush Ride Michael and kitt are about to roll off a cliff with his break lines cut.He asked kitt to rotate his turbo booster to stop the cars inertia before they reached the end.Funny thing was he was able to drive kitt with cut break lines the remainder of the show as if they were never cut.

Those same ramps in real life were originally on Dukes of Hazzard.

2knight
Rookie

Post by 2knight » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:17 am

I never assumed air guns. I always figured they were miniature rockets - like they use on the space shuttle and earlier space rockets and like they use on missles and so forth. In the KITT Kit diagrams and schematics you could get sent to you from NBC prior to the Goliath episode, they showed rocket boosters attached to KITT's rear axle (I don't have the diagrams handy, but I believe there were four of them attached to the rear axle).

KITT could adjust his angle of ascent using his trajectory guidance system. There was a diagram of this also near the front axle. If I remember correctly this looked like a box on the schematics and you couldn't really make out how it was supposed to work. I kind of assumed - correctly or incorrectly -- that this must have contained a smaller rocket or rockets that could be angled to give just the right lift to the front of the car for KITT to clear whatever he was turbo boosting over.

:kitt2:

Check out this link for a little rocket science: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket
Knight Racer wrote:I think we all assumed air guns.

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:03 am

Knight Racer wrote:I think we all assumed air guns.In the episode Plush Ride Michael and kitt are about to roll off a cliff with his break lines cut.He asked kitt to rotate his turbo booster to stop the cars inertia before they reached the end.Funny thing was he was able to drive kitt with cut break lines the remainder of the show as if they were never cut.

Those same ramps in real life were originally on Dukes of Hazzard.
I just watched this episode the other day. The brake lines hadn't been cut. KITT states that they are non-effective because they are moving at such a high rate of speed on that really high grade hill. That's why Michael can still drive once they get the car back up the hill.

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:11 am

I also remember when KITT got Damaged by Goliath, Micheal turned the boosters into a ram jet to get them home.

Sir Knight
Recruit

Post by Sir Knight » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Kal-el4 wrote:which kitt we talking about here? original, or KI3T?
Original :good:

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:54 pm

I think with the K2000, it was Thrusters, and with the K3000, It was a ramjet(I think) :?