FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer

FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Ave4uevoli » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Hey all,

Haven't posted much because I couldn't contribute much... but things have changed and I finally got my holy grail.
Many people wanted to know what happened to the FLAG mobile unit miniature. There was only one made and according to this article and tribute to the late Jack Sessums it was sold to someone a few years ago.

http://www.laux.org/airwolf/

Well here it is - I thought you all would like to see and to know where it is now. It's still alive and well.
Below there are also pictures of a screenused miniature - the one that has a working scanner. I believe it's the only one made with a working scanner too. Jack never finished it. If you look at the picture where Jack is holding one miniature - the one I have is the one on his table. It still doesn't have side mirrors.

The trailer is a whopping 7-8 feet long. Altogether with the truck it comes out to nearly 10 feet long. It's constructed of metal, wood and resin parts. It's been sitting in a crate for the last few years untouched. The crate that it came in was the same crate that came from Jack's garage/workshop. Anyways - enjoy.

The trailer itself has some of the interior done - not much though. It was built so that the 4-5 miniatures made could fit inside. It's quite cool. The trailer has working lights on the truck part and the KITT miniature has a working scanner and is supposed to have working rear lights (i haven't tested the rear lights)

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: FLAG mobile unit - screenused miniature- revealed!

Post by Showpro1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:10 pm

Let me be the 1st to congratulate you on first having had contact with such a great guy as Jack Sessums
as we all know quit a legend in movie & tv work with minatures.
And second to have been allowed to buy some of Jacks work as it relates to Knight Rider, what n incredible find.

Its great to know that Jack was so approchable, which seems what Ive found with so many associated
with the series Knight Rider for instance Don Peake, Ron Martinez, Michael Scheffe, Rebecca Holden, Jack Gill-
Glen Larson, Stu Phillips they are all just as personable as you would hope.

So once again congrats on gtting such a great Knight Rider Collectible, th ultimate as they are one of a kind-each
cool piece.
Take care,

Dave Doggett. :kitt2: :dash:

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:01 pm

That is very cool, any idea where the other miniatures like the Comtron truck or Goliath are?

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:39 am

wow, very nice! :good:
in glen larson we trust.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:16 am

Congratulations for having such an unique and cool Knight Rider item :)
It looks very detailed and realistic, gotta admit I haven't spotted any FLAG semi scenes from the episodes which would look like it's made with miniatures.
Perhaps the KARR turboboost to semi was one of those scenes and maybe other one was the trucking episode Ten Wheel Trouble where they drove the semi through concrete beam remains which KITT turboboosted to peaces moments earlier. These are just my guesses based on the thought that they probably didn't want to put the real semi at risk in these scenes.

JimmyPSHayes
Operative

Post by JimmyPSHayes » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:16 pm

What a fantastic find!! And I really enjoyed the article that you linked to. What're the chances that we can all come over to your house and play with those? :wink: Kidding. Once again, congratulations on those awesome finds. Any chance we could get a pic of inside the trailer?

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer

Post by Ave4uevoli » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:01 pm

Thanks so much guys- I do have to mention that I didn't meet Jack Sessums in person. The semi was in the possession of one other owner before me. (i'll ask if he wants to be mentioned here).

Here are more pics -I finally got it unboxed... it's absolutely massive.

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Damn :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh man that is great, is there a chance to see KITTs Dash? Nice Pics, helps me to create my own Semi Version for my collection :good: :good: Can I see KITts Dash? How is the Scanner? In which Episode they where used ??

Josch
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:56 pm

NICE !! VERY NICE!!! :kitt: :karr: :kitt2: :dash: :dash4:

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:38 pm

That's pretty cool! Great find!
The KITT model reminds me of the scene in Junk Yard Dog, when KITT sank in the toxic mud.. (screen shot someone, please).

So what other episodes would these "miniatures" have been used in?
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

Post by sheltonw3 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:28 am

Man you got space to work with!....my boss was kind enought o let me use our back room for the kenner kitt detail model shots!...but that semi is massive!
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:27 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .....SPEECHLESS!!!!!

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:49 am

Stelios you are very lucky...a screen used miniature kitt is only 5 minutes from your home and you can see it any time you wish :lol: :wink:

stelios_z28 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .....SPEECHLESS!!!!!

suave6565
Volunteer

Post by suave6565 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:58 am

Wow...that is beautiful and an ultimate find!!...i wonder why kenner or any other toy manufacturer didnt make a scale model of the semi?
I've only seen it as plastic model but not in as diecast metal from Japan. Unless im wrong?

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer

Post by Ave4uevoli » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 am

sadly no - I've never seen a die cast version of the knight rider FLAG semi. I don't think people made them because it would just be too expensive and too large. The toy companies figure that no one would purchase it. (of course, everyone here on the board would purchase them 8) )

I played around some more with the Semi - I really like how Jack Sessums made a lot of the model out of thin sheet metal. The main structure is made out of wood and the wheels are made of resin. I guess this is as close as I'll get to having a die cast FLAG semi.... not that I'd ever get another one.

I do need some help though - Honestly, I'm not sure what scenes used these miniatures. Does anyone have any idea what scenes used a FLAG semi miniature or the KITT miniature with the working scanner? Any help would be appreciated. I've looked through all the books that I have and I can't seem to find any good articles discussing how KR did their stunts and the use of miniatures.... any help would be appreciated :good:

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:08 pm

The only scene that comes to mind where the miniature semi is used is season three's "Ten Wheel Trouble", where the semi plows through the remains of a concrete truck.

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Showpro1 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:44 pm

Joe,
If memory serves me correctly, there was a model used in the scene of KITT VS KARR that had KARR
crashing through the back of the FLAG semi.
I would bet that this particular model was the one used for that scene, I think that idea tracks.
Also AJ called me last night & he told me that he relies on your vast knowldge of Knight Rider.
Take care,

Dave Doggett. :kitt2: :dash: :dash4:

greeknight
Rookie

Post by greeknight » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:38 am

A tresure!
Jack Sessums is a legend, It's a honour to own one of his models.

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer

Post by Ave4uevoli » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 am

Showpro1 wrote:Joe,
If memory serves me correctly, there was a model used in the scene of KITT VS KARR that had KARR
I would bet that this particular model was the one used for that scene, I think that idea tracks.
Also AJ called me last night & he told me that he relies on your vast knowldge of Knight Rider.
Take care,

Joe Huth wrote:The only scene that comes to mind where the miniature semi is used is season three's "Ten Wheel Trouble", where the semi plows through the remains of a concrete truck.

Joe
Thank you both so much. I will have to break out my KR dvd's once again to get some screenshots (unless it's easy for someone to get them sooner - help would be appreciated). I"m currently trying to figure out how to display these two beautiful pieces in a way that will do both justice. I found some tables online that match the length and width. Are there any iconic things that "scream" knight rider that should be incorporated in the display? (not that the flag semi and KITT aren't enough :wink:)

xmguy
Rookie

Post by xmguy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:29 pm

WOW! Those are very cool!!
LOYAL Knight Rider fan since 1995
:spmgo:

Ave4uevoli
Volunteer

Post by Ave4uevoli » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:51 pm

^ Thanks so much man..

I just wanted to give thanks to Gary Cannavo. He was the previous owner of both these beauties.

He has some absolutely amazing stuff and he's definitely a person to know in the world of collecting movie props.

Thanks so much man! Without him I definitely would not have been able to "step up my game" and start collecting screenused stuff.

Everyone can visit his site at http://www.battlebuck.com/

he owns the original battlestar Galactica! and just about everything else from the show. :D (buck rogers too)

FASTKNIGHT
Recruit

Post by FASTKNIGHT » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:53 pm

thats a very nice peice of Knight Rider history... thanks for showing. :dash4: :good:
1989 Pontiac Formula 5.7

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:36 am

Showpro1 wrote:Joe,
Take care,

I'm recalling KITT driving through the lava too.
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kngt2k
Volunteer

Post by kngt2k » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:26 pm

I remember during one of my conversations with Jack he mentioned this model, but he didn't know where it was or any details. He also could not recall what episodes it was used in. After all... it was one of so many jobs he did over the years.

The picture of Jack holding a KITT and one sitting on the bench has been mentioned somewhere in regards to this. Let me give you the history of that picture. The car he is holding is mine, as far as I know the last one he sold before he died. he did NOT sell these cars to just anyone, as he did not want people just buying them and turning them around on eBay. He checked my background out before agreeing to let me have one of his cars. Before he shipped my car I asked him to take a picture of himself with it. I was aware he was very sick with cancer and not likely to be around much longer, so although I knew I would never make it out to Redland to meet him, I would have a picture of him to remind me of the many phone conversations we had. He graciously agreed, and that is the pic you see, of Jack just a few scant months before he passed.

I should note that the body of KITT I own was the one thrown from a helicoper on a parachute in the episode "Goliath Returns"... it has 4 holes drilled into the rocker panels and marks on the body where the lines going to the parachute rubbed the paint.

It should also be noted that there were dozens of miniatures made, used, and destroyed during the run of the show. These models were built tough, but horribly abused. I have a film of a model being tossed off a cliff for the filming of "Goliath Returns", and I can guarantee you that model did not survive. Apparently there were quite a few KITT bodies hanging on the walls at Jacks workshop.

The one sitting on the bench was supposed to be for his personal collection, and was to have a complete interior... he requested pictures of the interior of my conversion for reference, which I sent him. The only other KITT model with a scanner was used in "Junk Yard Dog" and Jack told me it was at Planet Hollywood in Vegas for a while... I have no idea where it is now....

To the best of my knowledge, nothing from Jacks shop was sold after he died, although I know his widow locked up his shop and as far as I know has not allowed anyone to take anything from it since.

kngt2k
Volunteer

Post by kngt2k » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:45 pm

This is the picture of Jack with my KITT

This is the KITT model I have, complete with a little MK at the wheel... and no... it just has a Camaro interior

here is one of the holes I mentioned in the previous post

and my full size replica