In concert: Saluting Stu Phillips

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

In concert: Saluting Stu Phillips

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:18 am

The Golden State Pops Orchestra paid tribute to Stu Phillips last night in the beautiful, 1930s art-deco Warner Music Hall. I didn't think I was going to be able to make it to the concert, but I was able to at the last minute and was glad I did.

I admit I was a little disappointed when I first saw the program; Stu had told me that they would be performing Knight Rider during the concert, but it wasn't listed on the schedule. These things happen, but I was still looking forward to the other performances. First, conductor Steven Alan Fox led the orchestra performing the end credits to Star Trek First Contact (not one of Stu's pieces). They also performed a classical piece Stu composed, to show that Stu wasn't just a "Hollywood" composer.

Stu came on stage and led the orchestra performing movements from Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, and an independent film he scored, "The Name of the Game is…Kill." Before each piece, Stu would give a brief overview of the storylines and characters. He was very funny about it all, and had a tongue-in-cheek attitude about how shows were a bit different in the 70s. The BSG theme in particular was absolutely amazing performed live.

At the end of the concert, Steven Fox came back on stage for an encore, performing the theme from the X-Files. Pretty cool. When they were finished, the sound crew played a recording of Knight Rider over the sound system. It was a nice consolation to at least hear the song for the exit music. It looked like it was a last-minute decision, because the conductor seemed confused by it. He didn't know what to do, and kept gesturing as if to say "are we supposed to stay here? should we get off stage?" After about 20 seconds he just shrugged, raised his baton, the recorded music stopped and the orchestra took over live. Bazinga. It was very cool, and a fun "gotcha" trick.

After the concert, there was a VIP Reception which also served as an 80th birthday party for Stu. (80?! Happy Birthday Stu!) Stu wore a Battlestar Galactica T-shirt during the concert, but for the reception he changed into a KnightCon 2004 shirt (the Germany show.) I think that's a testament to how fondly Stu still thinks of Knight Rider and how much he enjoyed the convention. When I saw Stu, he "apologized" for not having more Knight Rider stuff in the concert. I put "apologized" in quotes because he had absolutely nothing to be sorry for; it was a fantastic show as is. He explained that it's tough to do KR in concert, because there really aren't long orchestrations for the show, the way there are with Galactica. No worries.

I also spoke with conductor Steven Fox to thank him for including Knight Rider in the concert. He told the story of how he went to Stu's house and Stu was playing all sorts of music for him, asking "well what about this piece? what about this one?" Stu then played Knight Rider, and Steven said he was brought back to being a kid, watching the show, and said they HAD to include it. So they added the little tribute at the end.

Pics to follow.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Re: In concert: Saluting Stu Phillips

Post by stelios_z28 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:53 am

do you have any videos to upload?this must be amazing!!!!!!

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 pm

My Friends..!

Please keep the noise down because Stu Phillips will start playing music Knight Rider Festival: Rapping Stu, OK?

Image Mr.Stu Phillips!

Knight Rider Festival: Rapping Stu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdii9064iTg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8)
Alex.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:34 pm

I think Stu is one of the Greatest Composers for TV and Film-I just wish I could find his music on CD!!! :good:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Stu on stage:
stu-stage.jpg
stu-stage.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 11528 times
At the reception, Stu was presented with a stylized painting showing an overview of his career. The image of Stu is a reproduction of an old photograph of him. The artist is Peter Wood.
stu-painting.jpg
stu-painting.jpg (69.57 KiB) Viewed 11528 times
Me and Stu:
stu-mike.jpg
stu-mike.jpg (62.2 KiB) Viewed 11528 times
The KnightCon shirt (Stu has worn this at other events as well):
stu-shirt.jpg
stu-shirt.jpg (52.16 KiB) Viewed 11528 times
Stu's birthday cake at the reception:
stu-cake.jpg
stu-cake.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 11528 times

TurboBoostMan
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by TurboBoostMan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:22 pm

does anyone have a video of Stu Phillips conducting the orchestra that played at some Knight Rider thing this past weekend? they played the Knight Rider theme. It was an orchestral version. Somebody have it????
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Here's the video of the Knight Rider theme performed live. Steven Alan Fox was conducting the orchestra at this point, not Stu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z62Exiu-Yk

I didn't realize they were going to switch over to a live performance, so I wasn't worried about the camera view at the beginning; I was just trying to record the audio. I apologize for the lack of camerawork at the beginning!

(Some of you may know me for being a stickler for "fair-use" rules when posting videos. Flash photography was specifically prohibited during the performance, but to the best of my knowledge this type of video is OK.)

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:43 am

good job michael!!!it is more than perfect to hear live the song that grew us up during the past years!!the knight rider theme is the best composed music ever made!!period!

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:57 am

Michael and Stu Phillips, :D

I liked a lot of seeing their pictures and the classic music also! 8)
You are the best! :good:

KNIGHT RIDER!

:kitt:
Alex.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:04 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Here's the video of the Knight Rider theme performed live. Steven Alan Fox was conducting the orchestra at this point, not Stu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z62Exiu-Yk

I didn't realize they were going to switch over to a live performance, so I wasn't worried about the camera view at the beginning; I was just trying to record the audio. I apologize for the lack of camerawork at the beginning!

(Some of you may know me for being a stickler for "fair-use" rules when posting videos. Flash photography was specifically prohibited during the performance, but to the best of my knowledge this type of video is OK.)
Awesome to hear Knight Rider music performed live :D
When the orchestra took over it sounded to me like the background music from the 1st season episodes which is very very cool! I can imagine KITT & Michael driving scene when this music is playing and at the end, KITT just entered to the FLAG semi or arrived to other destination :D
Thanks for sharing this video :good: