Shelby made NBC return KITT's hood

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Shelby made NBC return KITT's hood

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:58 pm

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/11/shel ... trage-eru/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Just how serious is Shelby about getting those KR parts back? Perhaps some of you remember the recently departed NBC Knight Rider redux – a number of KR hoods were used on K.I.T.T. in the production of that television series. Shelby even managed to get those parts returned."
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pct1theory
Rookie

Re: Shelby made NBC return KITT's hood

Post by Pct1theory » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Well that is just f*cking stupid. Shelby is just really damn stupid. Now for sure where not gonna get another Season anytime!

F**k you Shelby.

DLAspider
Rookie

Post by DLAspider » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:10 pm

This is by no means the last nail in the coffin for KR08. That is to say, it is not the deciding factor if it ever continues on or not. It would only mean they would have to request those hoods or, if they can't get any, change KI3T's look for a return. They're not going to say, well, the show was so popular in the UK and the DVD's sold so well (if they in fact did, I don't know) but we can't get the same hoods back, so let's scrap the whole idea.

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Pct1theory wrote:Well that is just f*cking stupid. Shelby is just really damn stupid. Now for sure where not gonna get another Season anytime!

F**k you Shelby.
They are not stupid. They only want it back so they dont have someone buying it then to recreate it exactly. Carbon Fiber is an expensive product to make.

You have no right to call Shelby stupid. Without them u wouldnt have a KI3T in the 1st place.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:43 am

I wouldn't call Shelby stupid. I don't know what I would call them. I understand wanting that hood to be exclusive and not copied. So what do you call a company that wants $20,000 for a hood? Wait , don't answer yet because they have generously cut the price down to around $9,000 now. What happens if the hood is stolen? What happens if you get into an accident? How does your insurance company cover that much for a new hood? How about over $600 just for hood pins? These are real prices folks.This person has been trying for months to get their car fixed. Last I heard, a new hood was sent out but was damaged in shipping due to insufficient packaging. There's some great customer service for ya.
I'm all for business making a profit. Thats what they exist for. If they don't want to sell the hood to you if you don't have a Shelby, thats fine. But if I just gave you $80,000 for a Shelby and my hood gets damaged and I have to turn around and pay another $9,000 just for a hood,I'm going to be a little upset.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:09 pm

$9000 for a hood, originally $20,000 ? :shock:

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Any aftermarket hood company could re-create that hood at a fraction of the cost... Odviously not an exact copy due to patents etc, unless they paid for the use etc.

Besides what's the point of having a shelby hood on a gt mustang?
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:19 pm

DevonStyles wrote:Any aftermarket hood company could re-create that hood at a fraction of the cost... Odviously not an exact copy due to patents etc, unless they paid for the use etc.

Besides what's the point of having a shelby hood on a gt mustang?
There are companies that make a KR replica hood....mine should be painted in a few days.
The point is to give a different look to your GT. Or, in my case, recreate KI3T.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pct1theory
Rookie

Post by Pct1theory » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 pm

GT500KR wrote:
Pct1theory wrote:Well that is just f*cking stupid. Shelby is just really damn stupid. Now for sure where not gonna get another Season anytime!

F**k you Shelby.
They are not stupid. They only want it back so they dont have someone buying it then to recreate it exactly. Carbon Fiber is an expensive product to make.

You have no right to call Shelby stupid. Without them u wouldnt have a KI3T in the 1st place.
Shelby is great but all companies make stupid decisions at times (look at NBC or Microsoft). I'm saying that returning the hoods is stupid and its ridiculous and that's no way to treat customers.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:17 am

In all fairness.... When the pilot was done I remember reading (on here!) that the scanner proved so tempremental that the it was augmented by CGI anyway which was based on the 08 hood...

However, moving forward, we already know that look is not long term for the Mustang... (shelby or otherwise) based on the cameo by 2010 'red Ki3t'...

I like ki3t being a Mustang but I wish the story was fleshed out properly... For the record Ki3t IS totally separate from Ki2t and the KARR episode should have acknowledged that...

I cant beleive they made the effort to get KARRs voice from TOS (ok, 2nd voice...) and not acknowledge the history as it was a blatant nod to original fans....

KARR DID NOT KNOW MICHAEL KNIGHT, snr OR jnr..... KI2T was developed as KARR's successor and was developed FOR Michael Long... Not Knight... (listen to KOTP)

The KARR ep would have made soooooo much more sense if they'd made a reference to KARR being recovered by the government after the encounter in the 80s... Thinking about it, that would have tied the 2 series together...

Graiman, having built KARR and developed Ki2t was encouraged after Devon Miles' demise, was approached by Torres to turn the skills to a more Military application...

Graiman was retired (as in the pilot) and wanted to recreate what he'd seen 20 years earlier in Ki2t.

The pilot would tie in perfectly to this as the bad guys (whos names escape me) reference Wilton Knight creating a car with artificial intelegence but they NEVER reveal the name of the vehicle as it is only legend.... THAT could soooooo easiy have been KARR and also the reason why Wilton spluttered mid sentence to MK snr (although I believe in the novels it was meant to have been some sort of helicopter, I'm gonna borrow poetic licence for the sake of trying to get the continuation back of the ground!) when MK came back after driving Ki2t for the first time....

Ki2t is not Ki3t.... They have to have been developed separately!!!!!! Even after JYD Ki2t regained his memories so Ki3t (if it was an 'upgrade') would not have needed to learn again... Ki2t is IN MK snrs watch... its the only fitting place... Its also where the secrets of the MBS were stored after Devon's death... Story arc for season 2.... :)