This is and should be the KR movie car...

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

This is and should be the KR movie car...

Post by DevonStyles » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:56 pm

This is and should be Kitt for the Glenn Larson movie, that god only knows if it will ever come out or not. This is the car... End of story.... It was meant to be. I read somewhere on here that they will be using a production line car for this movie. That is the wrong way to go. As we all realised during the NBC Knight Rider we were force fed a Ford down our throat. Knight Rider started with a Trans Am... It should end with a Trans Am. I have not seen a car look as good as this one yet.

edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Re: This is and should be the KR movie car...

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 am

that would be a good idea if pontiac wasn't going out of buisness in 2010,!!!!!
in glen larson we trust.

ttsracingworld
Recruit

Post by ttsracingworld » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:00 am

Oh boy, anonther person stuck on the Trans Am thing :roll:

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:03 am

The first image is great, that's a Camaro with the "trans am package".

But the second image is a fake, it's actually a photohopped Mercedes SLK or Corvette which you can find on the internet for some time now. So I guess this won't happen.

But the first one would be definitely a good choice.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:42 am

Here is a drawing how the Camaro Trans Am looks from the rear.

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:53 am

I know this car was used in Transformers 2, which I still haven't seen yet, but I think the Corvette Stingray Concept would make an awesome KITT for the movie.

Here is a link

http://jalopnik.com/5151143/corvette-st ... n-disguise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:11 pm

That is a camaro with an aftermarket package, and is a one off by TransAm Depot. thats not even supposed to be revealed for another week, so good find
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Oh, you mean something like this? I found this and this is the Ki2t I use in my stories. It would have been really cool if this was Ki3t, but the Mustang is really cool too.

I would have definetley bought this car if Pontiac ever made it.
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:27 pm

As one of the bigest trans am fans, I had to accept that the production was closed down in 2002 now few years later the entire pontiac factory is closing down and the moviemakers won't use any trans ams, camaros... because the
T A is no more in production and the camaro is under the licence of transformers a bumblebee.
Actualy I think is good like that, cause the camaro looks like and reminds me every time to the bandit car from smokey and the bandit.
I was thinkin through the american car brands and their cars, but I still have no idea what kind of car will be the movie car. That's what thruly worries me :?
So I just hope that they can find the best car and design for the movie. :kitt2:
If I would be a billionaire, I definitely would open a big car company for the KI2T and the knight rider merchandise production :good: So the people could forget the trans am and buy the KITT car! :kitt:
If its on me I'll will do it, first I have to become a billionaire :mrgreen:
Peace :wink: :!:
"One man can make a difference"
Knight Rider forever

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 pm

As a huge Trans Am fan, it's dead...let's leave it to rest.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TurboBoostMan
Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by TurboBoostMan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:25 am

Lets NOT leave it at rest. The Trans Am is an AWESOME CAR!!!! Although the scanner should be higher. If it's that low, it wont look right. And the Trans Am symbol shouldnt be on the hood. And it shouldnt say Trans Am or Pontiac anywhere on it. The original KITT didnt. :spmgo: posting.php?mode=smilies&f=1042#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"One Man Can Make A Difference" - Wilton Knight

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:22 pm

The fans are fans, because they don't leave it to rest, because if they do, they are no fans anymore :wink:
:kitt2: For me and the other fans Trans am will be the best car for KITT. Since 1982 the car and KITT became one.
That's the reason for KITT is an icon today. So you can replace the car, but it won't be good for everyone.
:kitt:
Knight Rider forever

Comtron Bum
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Comtron Bum » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:07 pm

I realize that people are going to like what they like. That's why there are hundreds of threads around the 'net like this one. For me, though, the biggest reason that the 2010 Camaro- with or without some kind of aftermarket "Trans-Am package"- doesn't feel right as KITT is because its styling cues are a nod to an earlier generation of the car than the one we saw in the '82 Knight Rider.

The current Camaro evokes the second generation models, specifically the 1975-1981 versions (much the same way that the 2005-2009 Mustang referenced the first 1965-1970 generation of that car). Think "The Rockford Files," rather than "Simon & Simon". There's no question that a Firebird/Trans-Am based on the current Camaro would be pretty awesome, but to me, it would be more appropriate for a "Smokey & the Bandit" remake than a Knight Rider one.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:54 pm

I first think that people who think KITT should be a TA for the movie have no understanding of how business works. There's no upside to allowing a model and brand that are retired (ala no current product) to be used for such an iconic vehicle. There's no money for a car company to make if they use a car that they can't sell. I keep thinking about the General Lee, and how it was never updated for the motion pictures and Direct to DVD prequel, but think that it's apples to oranges. I mean, KITT is supposed to be the world's most expensive, intelligent, indestructible, and fuel efficient car. It's supposed to blow all other cars out of the water. The bigger problem is what car can assume the high standard that is KITT? Why does KITT have to be an American car? There's certainly more vehicles that are not American that can meet the criteria needed to become KITT.

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Yes, the key word is business and we know about it. That's the sad part of it, but Knight Rider is an american show, so they newer use other cars. So the whole show -like the other shows- has a business side and that side is not about fans or what they want. "That's all Folks" could they say, cause we can't do nothing about it. "Money Talks" :!:
Knight Rider forever

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 pm

What about not selling out and keeping some integrity? The last thing I want see is another Ford commercial posing as a KR movie.

The first thing I heard people compain about the new KR was a mustang as kitt.

Kitt was and will always be a trans Am. Kitt was established as a TA. That what people in general want to see Kitt as. The General Lee remained the same because that's what he was. People would have been sick to their stomach to see a ford mustang as the general lee.

Should a white guy play Mr. T in the new A-team movie......? My point exactly.

I guanentee you guys one thing... Pontiac ain't going anywhere. It will be back as a GM speciality brand. Once they emerge from bankruptcy and are back to making profits and out from under the goverment umbrella they will be bringing it back. Limited models and high performace.

GM has not sold pontiac as it has other brands..... Their were numerous offers on Pontiac. GM refused to sell. Does that sound like a company in need of money?

Believe me GM is paying attention to this Kevan Morgan TA concept.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:32 am

How about learning what the term selling out means while I go find a wall to smash my head against.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 pm

I think the knight rider makers can learn from the other successful shows where the hero's car has very important role like in the Batman movies and here comes the secret of it:
Where can you buy a batmobile? - nowhere at the car dealers, it's custom :!:
So if you need one, you have to pay someone, who bilds one for you and for a lot of money of course :wink:
That's the point: KITT ca'nt be a normal street car, cause it's much more than that. The trans am was coustomized at that time to KITT and from that point it was no Trans Am anymore, it was KITT and not a Trans Am commercial :!:
That depends on thinking. Some people see a car commercial, some others see the film, the story and what the film is about. These two tipe of people newer understand eachother, but actually they're watching the same show.
So we have to separate business from story telling :wink:

PEACE____________ :kittconv:
Knight Rider forever

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:57 pm

How about learning what the term selling out means while I go find a wall to smash my head against
I do know what the term "selling out" means..... They sold out KR to try and sell out some Mustangs and it failed horribly. Just about every dam car that got any camera time in the show was a Ford. You could not walk into any Pontiac dealership back in the day and order the Kitt dash and scanner package on your car. I can also direct you to some wonderful walls if you still want to bang your head against one?

I agree with the last post.... Kitt was a custom creation.... Same as this new TA concept. As long as they do something high tech and cool with the dash and the car in no way, shape or form transforms into a truck or anything else I will be happy.

We all seen the results from a production line car starring in Knight Rider. I hope the same is not repeated for the Larson movie... (if it ever comes out)

Also I think we wait a few more years to see any type of KR movie.... People need to forget about the horrible nBC attempt and the mustang

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:06 pm

The Trans Am may be a possible choice for the KR movie, but would be from ASC, or more likely Trans Am Depot.
The two companies are working on conversion kits to be put on the Camaro, and they look hot-dang good.
ASC's is still under consideration, and is based on the '70-73 T/A. It's grill and headlights are more squared,
but still look a lot like the original. The Trans Am Depot kit is coming out, and is a one-off design based on
Kevin Morgan's designs. It's called the Phoenix T/A, and is awesome! They could probably work up a design
for KITT, and it could be based on the KR '82 T/A.

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:08 pm

I loved the 2011 T/a concept as KITT. Would have been awesome:

WIBoomer1 wrote:I first think that people who think KITT should be a TA for the movie have no understanding of how business works.
I completely disagree. Just because some people (incl me) feel that a T/A would be great for KITT doesn't necessarily mean we don't know how businesses work. Personally, I would love to see KITT return as a T/A but I also accept the reasons he won't be one. However, KITT does need to have an iconic shape whose silhouette is instantly recognisable, a car which immediately invokes KITT, a car that other people would want to make their own cars look like.
ThomasKnight wrote:custom :!:
A major issue with custom cars is going to be cost. Sure you could have a custom-built car but you'd have to have a few (rather than relying on just one) and that would cost £££ (or $$$ in US). A franchise such as Batman has a huge fanbase, and a lot of money behind it. People are gonna (and have) paid to go see the movie and it resulted in huge profits. Trying to do this with a smaller movie, with a smaller fanbase and backing would mean the 'custom' car wouldn't be hugely fantastic.

Kitt was originally going to be a corvette (like the one Face drove in the A-team. As I understand it, a train carrying a load of T/As derailed. The cars couldn't be sold to the general public but they were bought for the series cheaply. T/As weren't hugely fancy cars, they weren't very powerful but universal/Larson were able to turn an average 'sports' car into an icon.

DevonStyles wrote:You could not walk into any Pontiac dealership back in the day and order the Kitt dash and scanner package on your car.
And yet that didn't stop droves of people going into dealers and asking for the 'Knight Rider' car. Added to the fact there was at least once incidence where a T/A was involved in a collision because the driver believed he was driving KITT meant that Pontiac got a lot of negative publicity and hence this is why KITT gets referred to as a 'T-top' instead.

Although I've said I would have liked a T/A, as I mentioned above, any car that invoked the spirit of KITT would do for me. Especially if it was a lot more aerodynamic than the brick that was the mustang.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:38 pm

I wrote:
I first think that people who think KITT should be a T/A for the movie have no understanding of how business works.
Knight2000 wrote:I completely disagree. Just because some people (incl me) feel that a T/A would be great for KITT doesn't necessarily mean we don't know how businesses work.
Ok then, tell me why NBC partnered with Ford? As I understand it, NBC shopped the project to the Big 3, but only Ford was interested. GM had it's partnership with Transformers, so that nixed the Camaro...and because there was no Trans-Am variant of this body, there's no T/A KI3T. We've all heard the stories about owners wanting a KITT version at the dealers. Ford jumped on this. Is there a direct correlation between KR 08 and Mustang sales? I'd say no, but it still was advertisement neverless, and people knew that KI3T WAS a Mustang, not some other car.
Knight2000 wrote:Personally, I would love to see KITT return as a T/A but I also accept the reasons he won't be one. However, KITT does need to have an iconic shape whose silhouette is instantly recognizable, a car which immediately invokes KITT, a car that other people would want to make their own cars look like.
I totally agree about KITT needing an iconic shape. But you need to have a partnership that make economic sense in order for this to happen. It's not the 80's, where licensing wasn't what it is today. The automobile industry as a whole is a whole lot more protective of their trademarks, and need to make money where ever it may occur. If there is another KITT, you can bet your bottom dollar that it won't be for free, and there's money that changes hands. The producers won't pick a car and stick to it until a deal is made. They might run the risk of getting sued for unauthorized use of the design, no matter now slight the changes are to it.
Knight2000 wrote:A major issue with custom cars is going to be cost. Sure you could have a custom-built car but you'd have to have a few (rather than relying on just one) and that would cost £££ (or $$$ in US). A franchise such as Batman has a huge fanbase, and a lot of money behind it. People are gonna (and have) paid to go see the movie and it resulted in huge profits. Trying to do this with a smaller movie, with a smaller fanbase and backing would mean the 'custom' car wouldn't be hugely fantastic.

Kitt was originally going to be a corvette (like the one Face drove in the A-team. As I understand it, a train carrying a load of T/As derailed. The cars couldn't be sold to the general public but they were bought for the series cheaply. T/As weren't hugely fancy cars, they weren't very powerful but universal/Larson were able to turn an average 'sports' car into an icon.
There's where the money changed hands. Larson and crew gets cars, GM gets Publicity, while writing off damaged vehicles that couldn't be sold at all. A win-win for both parties...until the series took off, and the unexpected requests for a KITT version appear. Then the win turns into a loss, and that's why the change from Trans-Am to T-Top occurred, as you have said as well.
Knight2000 wrote:Although I've said I would have liked a T/A, as I mentioned above, any car that invoked the spirit of KITT would do for me. Especially if it was a lot more aerodynamic than the brick that was the mustang.
The main problem I have with the Kevin Morgan design isn't his take on it...i like it. I (like I would suspect most of us) first noticed the T/A from Smokey and the Bandit. And that was 2nd Gen F-Body, but by skipping the 3rd and 4th styling cues with the 2009 Camaro, there's nothing of KITT here. I'm not going to get technical, but the lines of the 82 T/A are much more slippery that the 09 Camaro. I think that cutting edge aerodynamics have been forgotten in place of making the car look cool, and that's in my opinion is not what KITT is about.