Jupiter Electronics KARR's Voicebox question

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

RomanticKnight
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Jupiter Electronics KARR's Voicebox question

Post by RomanticKnight » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:16 pm

I just got the said item in the subject title in the mail today, and I'm anxious to, amongst other things, hook it up to my computer as I only wanted the voicebox alone. All I got along with the voicebox are 2 wires and I'm not exactly sure what to do with them. One is silver and the other is black & red. I do know that I need a 12V adapter. Does anyone know where is the best place to find one for this item let alone how to hook it up? So if someone could give me thorough instructions what and how to bring the voicebox to life via audio speakers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID HASSELHOFF!!! :mrgreen:

RomanticKnight
Recruit

Re: Jupiter Electronics KARR's Voicebox question

Post by RomanticKnight » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:24 pm

RomanticKnight wrote:I just got the said item in the subject title in the mail today, and I'm anxious to, amongst other things, hook it up to my computer as I only wanted the voicebox alone. All I got along with the voicebox are 2 wires and I'm not exactly sure what to do with them. One is silver and the other is black & red. I do know that I need a 12V adapter. Does anyone know where is the best place to find one for this item let alone how to hook it up? So if someone could give me thorough instructions what and how to bring the voicebox to life via audio speakers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID HASSELHOFF!!! :mrgreen:
Edit: Does anybody know how to connect the wires to the 12V adapter?

aussie muscle
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by aussie muscle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Your best bet would be to contact the supplier directly. for 12v i'd get one of those plug packs and solder a socket to suit on the voicebox to plug it into. as for the box, it should by my reckoning have two wires for the power and two for the input signal.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:51 am

If you got one of Christian small voice box's then it should be labeled on the PCB itself on the back. Those screw terminals in the board are where you hook up you 12v positive and negative and your audio wires. It should be labeled.

BE CAREFUL!
If you hook it up wrong you will never get it to work right again.
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

RomanticKnight
Recruit

Post by RomanticKnight » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:16 am

aussie muscle wrote:Your best bet would be to contact the supplier directly. for 12v i'd get one of those plug packs and solder a socket to suit on the voicebox to plug it into. as for the box, it should by my reckoning have two wires for the power and two for the input signal.
Would I find any of these plug packs I need at Radio Shack much less the proper kind of 12V? It's just as well, since I have a MacBook, I would even know where to position the other end of the audio wires. Also, where can I find solders? I know this sounds like a stupid question to ask but I've never worked with electronic boards like this before. Besides, I wonder why Jupiter Electronics couldn't have built the voice box to be more simple like just plug in the headphone jack and we see results.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:51 am

To answer some of your questions:
Christian Forget makes his boards 12 volt compliant because most are being run for in-car applications. (Such as Knight Rider replicas)
A headphone jack is unnecessary as well because audio wire is a cinch to hook up. But do be careful with the 12 volt hook up.
Everything you need can be purchased through Radio Shack.
There is no need for solder. That's what the screw terminals are for on the voice box. Also you can get a 12 volt power supply from radio shack that will feed 12 volts from a 110v AC plug. If you want to hook this up to your mac book or Ipod then you need to take an audio out plug (like from a mic of headphone jack) and splice it in half and use those for your audio L & R.
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

RomanticKnight
Recruit

Post by RomanticKnight » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:59 am

taoworm2323 wrote:To answer some of your questions:
Christian Forget makes his boards 12 volt compliant because most are being run for in-car applications. (Such as Knight Rider replicas)
A headphone jack is unnecessary as well because audio wire is a cinch to hook up. But do be careful with the 12 volt hook up.
There is no need for solder. That's what the screw terminals are for on the voice box. Also you can get a 12 volt power supply from radio shack that will feed 12 volts from a 110v AC plug. If you want to hook this up to your mac book or Ipod then you need to take an audio out plug (like from a mic of headphone jack) and splice it in half and use those for your audio L & R.
Thank you

RomanticKnight
Recruit

Post by RomanticKnight » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:40 am

RomanticKnight wrote:
Does anybody have any pics that can help me get started step by step? That would really be useful and I'd appreciate it. Besides, I'm sure other people who buy the voicebox, be it KARR and/or KITT, have the same idea may want to know about how to do this too and, of course, as they say "A picture is worth 1000 words". Plus, I wanna make sure I don't mistakenly buy the wrong equipment and lose money over it.

RomanticKnight
Recruit

Post by RomanticKnight » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 pm

RomanticKnight wrote:
RomanticKnight wrote:
Does anybody have any pics that can help me get started step by step? That would really be useful and I'd appreciate it. Besides, I'm sure other people who buy the voicebox, be it KARR and/or KITT, have the same idea may want to know about how to do this too and, of course, as they say "A picture is worth 1000 words". Plus, I wanna make sure I don't mistakenly buy the wrong equipment and lose money over it.
I guess this was a waste of money after all since nobody can give me visual step-by-step instructions