Official cancellation posted by Sci Fi

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightendo77
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Official cancellation posted by Sci Fi

Post by knightendo77 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:47 pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but back in May (going by the dates on the posts I've just found) NBC did officially cancel Knight Rider. An administrator over at the Sci Fi Channel's forums here in the UK posted the following on 20 May:

"Hi guys,

We can confirm that sadly Knight Rider will not be commissioned for a second series. This is a shame because the response we've received since the show launched has been very positive.

Pete"

As "Pete" works for the channel, and the channel itself is owned by NBC Universal Networks this is as good as coming from the horse's mouth, so to speak. All this talk of NBC bringing it back and the campaigning I'm afraid is for nought. It was never up in the air with them after those announcements for the autumn shows, it was cancelled outright when those lineups were released but NBC simply didn't make a bit deal out of it. I know there's talk about campaigning for Sci Fi to pick it up, but they're skirting around the issue and this is the only official word to come from the channel.

I loved the pilot, but hated what GST did to the great characters we had in the pilot and hated the other changes he made. It just wasn't Knight Rider anymore. It DID improve as it moved on and there are definitely about half the episodes which are very good, but how hard can it be to get KR right? Completely the wrong man for the job, Bartis and Andron should've been left in charge. Such a shame, as I thought the cast (as they were in the pilot before the unnecessary additions and the stupid changes made to Sarah for the series) and KITT were all fantastic and I feel genuinely sorry for them that GST ruined their chance to be household names.

Here's the link to the forum page by the way:

http://forums.scifi.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

EVKRWriter
Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Official cancellation posted by Sci Fi

Post by EVKRWriter » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:11 pm

...I don't understand.

How could they have canceled it before knowing how well---or bad--it would have been received by the overseas viewers?

And are you QUITE sure this 'Pete' is a reliable source?

I mean, I knew NBC was cruel but not THAT cruel. It's...just not fair. That may sound sound childish, and yeah, life isn't fair...but this...

I suppose I should have expected this, but even with this new piece, or shred, of evidence, I STILL can't accept it. Heh. Talk about blind devotion.

Well... :?
~EV

KITT Happens!!!

KR Fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~evryderwriter. My way of keeping Knight Rider alive and well.

SilverFoxThief
Recruit

Post by SilverFoxThief » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:13 am

[quote/]I suppose I should have expected this, but even with this new piece, or shred, of evidence, I STILL can't accept it. Heh. Talk about blind devotion.

Well... :?[/quote]

Totally Agree!

Well, atleast it's good to know SyFy is still beating around the bush about picking up the show. Perhaps we should direct the campaign at them instead on NBC? :?
Kid at gas station: Dude, your car’s glowing!
KITT: Michael, we don’t have much time.
Kid at gas station: Dude, your car’s talking!!
(Episode – Knight Fever)

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:18 am

I agree that Mr. Andron should've been left in charge of the series. It would have been a MUCH better show! :good:
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:45 am

I keep thinking "what if...?" as far as Andron and Bartis go, who both seemed very keen about the film during interviews, only to be sidelined by GST. Well done GST and NBC :S

"Pete" is a reliable source, working for the Sci Fi channel over here in the UK he's probably the most official voice we've heard (or rather, read) about this since the show finished. And I didn't mean that they're skirting around the issue as in they're considering it, what I meant was people are suggesting that Sci Fi pick it up and they're not replying to that specifically, but are confirming that it won't be renewed which I'm sure means not just by NBC but also themselves.

Oh well, it started off brilliantly, went and ruined itself and yet still showed promise and potential of what could've been. KITT and Mike, we'll miss you...
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:40 am

May 20?! And nobody picked that up in nearly three freakin' months? I'm pretty sure the show's cancelled and all, but just... wow.

And I agree we should just demonize GST. It's certainly easier than remembering that the pilot movie was a badly-written, product-placement-infested borefest that was equally ridiculouled by critics.

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:54 am

That's your own opinion, but I loved the pilot and many here did also. It's much easier to remember the bad comments than the positive ones, and as for the "reviews" of the pilot, when it aired here in the UK it was generally very positive but with scathing remarks for the regular series. Internet reviews aren't reliable, they're not written by professionals and really most of them were just people who didn't like change and so were never going to give it a chance and just sat down to watch it to criticise it, in other words without an open mind - it was ridiculous to read!! Doctor Who got slaughtered online when it returned and it's the UK's #1 drama now. It's always got brilliant professional reviews though. KR the pilot got average to good in the professional reviews but online, well no offence to anyone on here, but anyone can review something online now, even those who would criticise something for some really stupid reason or those who would never have accepted a new KR in any form.

The series went overboard with product placement, but as for the pilot I didnt mind all the close ups of the Mustang's logos, after all the car's the star in KR as they say, so obviously it's always going to be seen as advertising but no one complained about the Trans Am being referenced in the first years of the original (talking about the viewers here) or the A-Team's van being reference by name either. And add in the fact that Ford was funding the show this time round and how they filmed the pilot was fine in this respect, but in the series the way KITT transformed into Ford vehicles was too obvious and the fact we saw Microsoft logos everywhere really pissed me off too.

The pilot shows us that we could've gotten a great new KR series and the characterisation was brilliant, even the more negative reviews here in the UK said they were looking forward to seeing the cast again.... but then look what happened :S

Anyway, we've strayed off subject...
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 am

Internet reviews aren't reliable, they're not written by professionals
I resent the comment. Firstly, because professional reviewers have actually discovered the Internet and secondly, because professional or not, they still represent the conscensous.
were just people who didn't like change
Hmm... the pilot that endorsed the original show in every other line is well-received around fans, but the show that strayed to a different direction gets tons of flak. Irony? The comment is unbased.
The pilot shows us that we could've gotten a great new KR series and the characterisation was brilliant
There was no characterization, in any stretch of the word. Look, folks, I don't care which version people like the best, but don't pretend there was anything dramatically worthy in the pilot (or the series for that matter), because literature bleeds every time you make up something like that. It was crap, every bit as crap as the show, just a tad more pretentious.

The show was doomed the moment NBC decided they could make a full-blown-action show for boys without paying for it. They tried to cash in on the popularity of the Transformers (which should be proof enough that the public doesn't -unfortunately- give two *?$# about characterization and proper writing), but they forgot that that movie had a $150 mil. budget.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:22 am

NeoRanger wrote:
And I agree we should just demonize GST. It's certainly easier than remembering that the pilot movie was a badly-written, product-placement-infested borefest that was equally ridiculouled by critics.

I think the pilots downfall in some ways had more to do with NBC tying Andron's hands money wise than anything else.
Dave Andron wrote a terrific script and created the whole KR08 universe. It should have stayed his baby.

I know we all pissed and moaned about no turbo boost and Mikes roommate was annoying, but other than that Dave did a great job and I for one thank him for giving a sh*t enough to get that script out and care enough about the production to do what he did.

Now GST brought some things to the KR universe like: Carbon credits?! Terrorism scare story-lines and other roll your eyes propaganda.
GST messed up big time. I shall NEVER forgive him for that nor watch or support any future project he makes.
On a side note, if you were Dave Andron, how pissed would you be at NBC?
I would be on a level of 10. :evil:

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:33 am

Well said taoworm, and I'd be pissed too. NeoRanger, you're presentig your own opinions on the pilot (and now Transformers) as fact, let's please stay on subject. I realise I brought up GST but I did state that was my opinion and it was tying in with the comment made by Pete from Sci Fi about how well received it was at the time of his post, when only the pilot movie had aired to record ratings here in the UK. The ratings for the first regular episode were even higher because of good word of mouth over here after the pilot, but the ratings have fallen again.

To get back on the subject properly, it's a shame Sci Fi won't be picking it up, we've all seen shows which didn't perform well in their first year come back bigger and stronger when a netork took a risk or a show went into syndication. Looks like this KR shall now be sitting on the shelf alongside the other three attempts from 1990, 1992 and 1996(? TKR?) and we'll see what's made of the planned movie.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:36 am

So? Is this new? There have been various press outlets saying this for a while? NBC however keeps silent and does not want to embarrass themselves (even more than they already did) and thus they are not mentioning KR when asked directly.

This "cancellation note" was only a word to Sci Fi that they should not expect any second season after this one airs and this was known for a long time, but as such is not official (even though we all know that this year will not see a new KR episode on tv) . Fact of the matter is when NBC is asked if it is cancelled their position is "no comment"... they give it the silent treatment as they hope that way it will blow over.

Contracts are still active for the series even though it is not being produced at the moment.

As for doing a campaign being for "nought", there have been dozens of series that have been cancelled at brought back one or two years later. Sci Fi's poll on the site is checking what series is the most popular on there, you can count on it that this will be noted one way or another, in addition to that continued noise making will also make it know that KR is and was more popular than NBC wanted to acknowledge (even with its "furious" :roll: shortcomings).

Keep rattling the tree... you never know what surprise nut may drop out
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:38 am

taoworm2323 wrote:
NeoRanger wrote:

I think the pilots downfall in some ways had more to do with NBC tying Andron's hands money wise than anything else.
Dave Andron wrote a terrific script and created the whole KR08 universe. It should have stayed his baby.

I know we all pissed and moaned about no turbo boost and Mikes roommate was annoying, but other than that Dave did a great job and I for one thank him for giving a sh*t enough to get that script out and care enough about the production to do what he did.

Now GST brought some things to the KR universe like: Carbon credits?! Terrorism scare story-lines and other roll your eyes propaganda.
GST messed up big time. I shall NEVER forgive him for that nor watch or support any future project he makes.
Yes but if I was Andron and I really had a heart for my re imagined franchise... I would try and get some support to kick start it back into gear... Andron style.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:44 am

NeoRanger wrote:May 20?! And nobody picked that up in nearly three freakin' months? I'm pretty sure the show's cancelled and all, but just... wow.

No offence, but the original TOS pilot and series (for a large part of the first season) was just as much product placement and ridiculed by critics, the only people that loved the show was its audience... and don't tell me that there was no moment of bad writing or bore in the original show, because believe me and my season 1 TOS dvd... there was.

The only gripe I had with the pilot of the new show was that is was a bit slow paced but otherwise a great script (the gripes are largely attributable to the writers strike back then remember? Even Andron was biting his nails and wishing he could do sporadic rewrites to it during the strike, but could not.)

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:56 am

NeoRanger wrote: There was no characterization, in any stretch of the word. Look, folks, I don't care which version people like the best, but don't pretend there was anything dramatically worthy in the pilot (or the series for that matter), because literature bleeds every time you make up something like that. It was crap, every bit as crap as the show, just a tad more pretentious.
I think we should agree to disagree here, I for one (and I am SURE many others) was intrigued to find out who this Mike was... he hears that his dad is Mike senior... Jennifer clearly knew something about the original FLAG operation as she asks about the new KITT and asks if he is not another Trans Am... so she knows about the old one. Charles is the AI designer for both the KITT's (he was at least one of the designers of the original KI2T AI) and he was repositioned... Why? Why did he hide this long? And how come the security has failed so bad? And why did FLAG seemingly vanish? All of these could have been explored in an alternate series as opposed to the one we have gotten... All of this could have been answered with the great characters Andron gave us... Charles, Sarah (who I liked as a character in the pilot), Mike, the new KI3T... imagine how "Ohh my God what the f*ck" KI3T would have went if he found out about the old KI2T... that in it self could have been a great episode...

I loved the main villain of the pilot, he was great, well acted and nice and sinister... who did he work for? What were there exact plans for prometheus... all of that could have returned in the new series...
There was plenty of characterization in my book.

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:24 am

Great posts Solid Snake, 100% agree.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tom
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 am

Agreed :)
"Pain is temporary, but the pride lasts forever"

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:34 am

Solid Snake wrote:
NeoRanger wrote: There was no characterization, in any stretch of the word. Look, folks, I don't care which version people like the best, but don't pretend there was anything dramatically worthy in the pilot (or the series for that matter), because literature bleeds every time you make up something like that. It was crap, every bit as crap as the show, just a tad more pretentious.
I think we should agree to disagree here, I for one (and I am SURE many others) was intrigued to find out who this Mike was... he hears that his dad is Mike senior... Jennifer clearly knew something about the original FLAG operation as she asks about the new KITT and asks if he is not another Trans Am... so she knows about the old one. Charles is the AI designer for both the KITT's (he was at least one of the designers of the original KI2T AI) and he was repositioned... Why? Why did he hide this long? And how come the security has failed so bad? And why did FLAG seemingly vanish? All of these could have been explored in an alternate series as opposed to the one we have gotten... All of this could have been answered with the great characters Andron gave us... Charles, Sarah (who I liked as a character in the pilot), Mike, the new KI3T... imagine how "Ohh my God what the f*ck" KI3T would have went if he found out about the old KI2T... that in it self could have been a great episode...

I loved the main villain of the pilot, he was great, well acted and nice and sinister... who did he work for? What were there exact plans for prometheus... all of that could have returned in the new series...
There was plenty of characterization in my book.
Yeah, that would have been a great show with Ki2t and Ki3t. They should have had more of the original show in this series. I mean, wasn't this supposed to be a continuation? All I saw was what GST did to add his own points. It would have been real nice to see why Michael wasn't able to see his son for those years. I know we all probably know the reason, but it would have been nice to see it in the show. Also, yeah, where the heck did FLAG go? It did disappear only to be revived by the new team.

I think that no matter what and no matter how long, the show will continue someday. Yeah, GST did screw this one up. The last 5-6 episodes were the best when he finally realised that people wanted the show to head more in the direction of what the original did. I know the SSC was a BIG mistake. I never cared for it. And I mean, Ki3t was finally growing! In Knight Fever, Ki3t showed emotions after he realised he was sorry for killing Arrow. I don't care what anyone says, Ki3t was gaining emotions and it wasn't a side effect of the virus. Also, in the last episode, Ki3t had actually shocked the guard at the club in order to find his beloved driver. All through that show, Mike and Ki3t had many heart-to-hearts. Ki3t was growing and he hasn't had the chance to prove himself.

Personally, I hate NBC right now. They won't completely say whether or not KR is cancelled. They do keep ignoring it and trying to sweep it under the rug. It would be really great if SciFi (now SyFy) picked KR up. Maybe in a year or two, when the economy is together again and there is more money to be spent, the show will be back on.

I think that no matter who produces or sponsors the show, it will go on someday. We need to rattle cages and make sure that something, anything, falls out. All of us who still love Ki3t need to give him a voice. I know I will personally be yelling at the top of my lungs until someone see that I ain't gonna shut up until I get what I want, which is to have Ki3t and KR back. I know there are many people out there who are like me and we all have to make sure this doesn't end. KR, Michael Knight, and Ki3t will live on!
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:40 pm

Solid Snake wrote:
taoworm2323 wrote:
NeoRanger wrote:

Yes but if I was Andron and I really had a heart for my re imagined franchise... I would try and get some support to kick start it back into gear... Andron style.
So how do we get in touch with Dave Andron and let him know that he's got our support?
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:04 pm

tamatt27 wrote: So how do we get in touch with Dave Andron and let him know that he's got our support?

A member here at KRO knows Dave Andron personally. (No not me..)
I will let said member relay this thread to Dave. It should mean a lot to him. :wink:

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:30 pm

hear hear, great idea Tao! We must do this... let him know he was on the right track, and maybe should pursue it?

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Excellent! Tell him we're behind him 100%. We want KR08 back, with him behind the wheel! Ask him what we need to do to make that happen! :twisted:
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:45 pm

I'm going to join in and support him 100% too! :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:09 pm

I'll support him! As long as it brings Kitt and Mike back, I'll do it! :D
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

modelmaker
Volunteer

Post by modelmaker » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:32 pm

in androns pilot i find myself able to watch maybe half of it before getting annoyed how slow and how much the story gets interrupted for emotional depth! This show was brought back to give a fast paced franchise a new beginning nearly thirty years from the beginning! The original show was after the first two seasons lacking in originality however the love for this on air partnership every week kept us going. The facinction with Kitt and his christmas tree dashboard and amazing ability to jump crumple to the ground then rejoin a car chase without dent or scratch the facinction kept that a reality for everyone but lets be fair a world nearly thirty years on how would this show succeed post reality tv post 24 and csi etc etc. They both did their best both andron and gst but lets face it if in 82 you lot had had the internet and been able to pick the sh&t out of original kr the way you all did through this site and the rest do you HONESTLY AND BE ABSOLUTELY HONEST expect this show to have a chance? You all expected hoff a far far far overrated person and a piece of crap T/a with christmas decorations and a crap 1.24 model to get you through this! I mean really come on blame nostalgia and blame yourselves kr 08 was not kr 82 and you cannot compare the two in any way share or form its like comparing enterprise to star trek deep space nine it cant be done it doesnt fit! Stop for gods sake blaming GST and wishing that andron had done it better! Battlestar fans argued for years i was one of them but once i got past my original fears about the first season i came to terms with it different yes enjoyable most definately yes. NBC are to blame for this travesty it would never have happened with paramount as you all know from star trek the next generation the first season. It was crap it was weak and the trekkies myself included hated it at first i mean a pilot filled with two jellyfish floating in space how ridiculous but it WORKED although slammed by critics and fans. Kr was given its chance it got better it was not given its time to shine justin was worth a thousand hoffs they did over staff knight industries they should have sacked zoe and billy charles should not have died but we cannot blame gst for that we can however blame the writers gst worked what he was given by the writers the same as the actors did do you think realisticly the writers would have been different if andron had continued.... No? Me neither. Now if anyone wants to disprove me or disagree fair play i accept this fully from anyone with a rational arguement entirely. Matt knows how long for the very least i have been around but for anyone else i have been around the internet kr sites since december 1999 knight registries was on a free server knight rider uk had not even been uploaded to the net TKR as in mike pajero own rite was coming into its own i even had one of the free email addys he used to offer as part of joining that site. I speak my mind very little but to be honest i have watched this hobby this interest get destroyed by people that saw power rangers and wondered why kitt never turned into a stegosaurus with a gold coin out of michaels pocket. Every day i read crap by people and it makes me hate working on my 82 season four conversion. One last thing to say and i promise to fade back to the lurker kingdom this is all purely my own opinion after near two years of observation since this 08 road began! However if you are all expecting larson to bail KR out of this mess after his little speech for the knight con uk 07 speech think again factually backed this project is not happening GUARANTEED!i cannot and will not reveal my source for this information for legal reasons so do not bother asking or emailing as i cannot under contract reveal details.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:26 pm

knightendo77 wrote:We can confirm that sadly Knight Rider will not be commissioned for a second series. This is a shame because the response we've received since the show launched has been very positive.
um... I hate nick-pick, but not making a second season doesn't mean the show is canceled. This is something which has been talked about in other topics. They could just have put it on hold.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;