KIFT/ Knight 4000 movie car - where did it go???

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Jules
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

KIFT/ Knight 4000 movie car - where did it go???

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi guys. I am new on this forum. my names jules. im 22 years old...have been a lot into knight rider over the years. still one question never has been answered:
Where did the movie car from Knight Rider 2000 television movie go to? The red one called Knight 4000/ KIFT...built out of a Dodge Stealth once had been used in Power Ranger´s episode and on MTV´s scare tactics...but does anyone know where it is now...or wheather it exists at all? any sources or pictures would be great---did anyone already built a replica`? thanks for any comments/posts.

jules :good:

jeremy223
Rookie

Re: KIFT/ Knight 4000 movie car - where did it go???

Post by jeremy223 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:27 pm

It still exists. It belongs to a guy who used to post on the Foundation board. If memory serves, I believe he got it on ebay where it was still dressed as a cop car from Power Rangers. But the guy restored it back to KIFT. As for replicas, Knightdesigns.com will be coming out with a kit,plus it is also available from Jay Ohrberg.com as a kit for $9000.

Dave KR2
Volunteer

Post by Dave KR2 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:01 pm

i found this
i found this
knight%20rider%204000%20jay%20ohrberg.jpg (101.64 KiB) Viewed 36467 times
i found this pic m8 :kitt:

Jules
Stranger

Post by Jules » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 pm

wow...awesome...this guy is really lucky! well then. thank you very much for the quick replies!

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by DevonStyles » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:37 pm

No offense to anyone involved but that car is ugly. As everone recalls Kitt was happy being black and thry managed to make him look like his worst nightmare... A tomato on wheels... lol
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

cjkent74
Stranger

Post by cjkent74 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:32 pm

I may be out of the loop but i thought it was pontiac banshee not a stealth..... I could be wrong thohttp://auto.howstuffworks.com/1988-pont ... pt-car.htm

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:57 pm

DevonStyles wrote:No offense to anyone involved but that car is ugly. As everone recalls Kitt was happy being black and thry managed to make him look like his worst nightmare... A tomato on wheels... lol
I really didn't like it when I first saw it, but so many years later, it falls under "pop sci-fi" per the early '90s, so I kind of dig it now. It's, say, more memorable and distinct than the stock cars of TKR.

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Yeah, personally I liked the Trans Am soooo much better than the KIFT car. And you're right, Kitt liked basic black better than being a 'tomato on wheels'. lol But I do have to admit it is better than the TKR cars that they used. At least it was unique in a way.
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:21 pm

cjkent74 wrote:I may be out of the loop but i thought it was pontiac banshee not a stealth..... I could be wrong thohttp://auto.howstuffworks.com/1988-pont ... pt-car.htm
You're right about your wrong! :D
The car was made from a dodge stealth by jay ohrberg and it was inspired by the banshee concept car :wink:
You'll find photos from the making of the car here: http://www.jayohrberg.com/Knight_Rider_2000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :good:
"One man can make a difference"
Knight Rider forever

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:49 am

I think the car design was ok, cause it was wery familiar to the original KITT by the Pontiac banshee design.
The problems are: the colour, the hood, the wheels.
I was playing a bit with photoshop and made my version of KIFT:
"One man can make a difference"
Knight Rider forever

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:11 am

DevonStyles wrote:No offense to anyone involved but that car is ugly. As everone recalls Kitt was happy being black and thry managed to make him look like his worst nightmare... A tomato on wheels... lol
i think it was made the color red because it was meant to be the same color and look as the pontiac banshee concept car, and i have to disagree with you, kift is an awesome looking car no matter what color it is!!!!
in glen larson we trust.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:50 am

It looks like a boat on wheels! Didn't care for it then, don't care for it now. Funny, Kitt said it fits him like a glove. What about the Trans Am, then? Surely it suited you better...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Jules
Stranger

Post by Jules » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:14 am

well...there is no accounting for tastes...for these who are more into the trans am original look, KIFT might be too futuristic or too "boat like"...but regarding to TKR and even the latest tv series, KIFT is truely unique and reflects somehow the spirit of the Knight foundation...it just is not mainstream. of course i could not imagine how KIFT does a turbo boost, because the chassi is just too aerodynamic and clean :D
but i have always loved the look of KIFT. i do miss a continuity in Knight Rider´s history..have been pretty disappointed that KIFT was never meantioned again afterwards and just had a few unspectacular moments in the movie until it vanished.

Samborghini
Rookie

Post by Samborghini » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Knight Rider 2000 was a failed TV movie that's probably why the new KR doesn't mention it who ever has the car now though is probably glad he has it it would make a good collectors piece. :good:
Protecting the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

cjkent74
Stranger

Post by cjkent74 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:25 am

ThomasKnight wrote:
cjkent74 wrote:I may be out of the loop but i thought it was pontiac banshee not a stealth..... I could be wrong thohttp://auto.howstuffworks.com/1988-pont ... pt-car.htm
You're right about your wrong! :D
The car was made from a dodge stealth by jay ohrberg and it was inspired by the banshee concept car :wink:
You'll find photos from the making of the car here: http://www.jayohrberg.com/Knight_Rider_2000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :good:
wow.. they did make it look almost exactly like the banshee.. i see the differences now though. Thanks for pointing it out. it looked better as the black cop car though..... well hindsight is 20/20 they say...

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:48 pm

As for the car design itself, to me it looks like a surf board with wheels. If the crew had been allowed to use an actual Pontiac Banshee, however, it still would have had to have the front end modified and rounded out in order to accomodate the scanner. The jagged point of the Banshee's front end just has no real place for a scanner. So an actual Banshee may have indeed ended up looking more like the final design the crew came up with for the 1991 Dodge Stealth, anyway.

I really wish they could've at least made the final dashboard design the same as Jay Ohrberg's sketches. Those designs are awesome and it would have made the interior so much more like the Knight 2000.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:41 am

I didnt like the car at all too. but the reasoun I keep wtching this movie from time to time, its because it has almost all the elemnts from the original. Image :kitt:

aussie muscle
Recruit

Post by aussie muscle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:37 pm

jeremy223 wrote:it was still dressed as a cop car from Power Rangers.
anyone know what episode/movie it was in PR?

jeremy223
Rookie

Post by jeremy223 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:18 pm

I don't remember which specific episodes it was in (it was more than one I think) but it was the Time Force season. Don't forget it was also in the tv movie Chips '99.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:08 am

The Time Force pilot "Force from the Future", I think in part I. It's one of the Time Force's futuristic cop cars.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:29 am

I believe this is the car your talking about.

DaveR
Stranger

Post by DaveR » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Looks like it is in this auction on the 15th August

http://www.premiereprops.com/live_auctions.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Item 718 - 1991 Dodge Stealth from Knight Rider there are no bids at the moment but the Start Price is $1,000.00 and the estimated price it's gonna go for is between $80,000.00 - $300,000.00 USD!!!!!!

The 1969 Mustang Mach 1 Fastback from Knight Rider 08 is up for sale as well (Item 642)

Happy Bidding!

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:00 am

Wow...in looking thru the Jay Ohrberg pics, it looks like they were considering a Vector W2 and a Volvo??? WTF!!!

Someone here mentioned that they should have used an actual Pontiac Banshee. Sorry, but that was a concept from Pontiac, and never mass produced. There was no way that GM (then) would have let someone go to town on a one-of-a-kind machine like that.

hoffman95
Operative

Post by hoffman95 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:19 pm

I loved the noise kift made it was like an electic whoosh.In the movie they never spent enough time with kift we never saw the full interior in deatail.I think kift was ok some people may disagree but I like the design I wish kift could turbo boost though.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
boo
:kittconv:

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:34 am

Ya know with the auctionouse being partnered with the same people who built the KITT Mustangs I figured we would see a couple of them. Has anyone heard what is happeneing with the old props and stuff from the show. Has it all been moth balled or like the original KITTs are they rusting away on Universals backlot somewhere. :kitt: