New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Trekie386
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by Trekie386 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:31 pm

Ok guys.. here is a new fic I'm working on. I'm just going to post a bit of it. Tell me what you think so far. (Need to know if it's worth finishing)

“Lifeline”

By Beth C

Summary: Michael saves a woman, and her future is uncertain. Despite warnings from those he knows best, he continues to try to help her.

Rating: PG for now. It’s a WIP.

Disclaimer: Knight Rider is copyright to Glen A. Larson. Don't sue guys.. I only borrowed them. I'll put them back when I'm done.. I promise...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I fail to see the humor behind that remark, Michael.” Kitt commented dryly as he maneuvered out of the personnel area of the city zoo.

Michael sighed. “It was a joke, Kitt. No one is going to paint you with white stripes and let you work as a utility vehicle for the zoo.” Michael had to bite his cheek to keep the grin off his face. The mental picture of Kitt all doled up to look like a zebra was too much.

They had just finished their latest assignment where exotic animals were being force-bred and the mastermind behind it all was sitting pretty drinking wine and exploiting the public for ‘rare, one-of-a-kind’ offbreeds. It hadn’t been easy but Michael had gotten the goods on the guy and the only thing he would be sitting on was 10-20 years in prison.

One of the zookeepers had made a parting comment to Kitt and he was still complaining about it. Still, it did make a funny picture. He would definitely have to share that remark with Bonnie. His mind was only half-on his driving and he almost missed his turn-off onto the interstate when Kitt interrupted his thoughts.

“Michael, look! On the overpass!”

Michael glanced up and saw a woman barely clinging to the chain link fence that covered the overpass walkway for pedestrians to cross to the other side of the interstate. She appeared to be making her way over to where the traffic was the heaviest. Her hands could barely support her weight, and Michael saw her stumble at least once, almost dropping her off the narrow ledge.

“Kitt! Take over!” Michael commanded.

Kitt maneuvered over to where the pedestrians would start up the walk as Michael jumped out. Kitt peeled away and headed down below to block the traffic while Michael raced up to the fence. The closer he got the more details he could see.

The woman wasn’t that old, maybe 28 at the most, and her long blonde hair was dirty and tangled. She was crying, her face was swollen from the tears. Her clothes were dirty and torn, her small knees poked out the holes in her jeans and her faded T-shirt had seen better days.

One thought flashed instantly into Michael’s mind. -She’s gonna jump, that’s why she’s going so far out.-

Michael raised his arm to his face. “Kitt, contact the paramedics, and make sure all traffic is stopped.”

“Yes, Michael.” Kitt’s tinny voice answered from the small speaker in his comlink.

The woman heard the sound and turned her head to face him. Her blue-green eyes appraised him once then turned away.

“Don’t do it!” Michael called out to her. “Whatever is wrong, it’s not worth this!”

“What do you know?” She screamed back at him. “Go away and leave me alone!”

He finally reached the fence and swung his body out onto the ledge, wedging the toes of his boots between the links in the chain. This was not going to be easy, his body was not made for the tiny gaps. The cold metal bit into his hands as he moved sideways trying to get closer to her. “I’m not going to let you do this!”

“What do you care?” She shot back at him as the tears continued to trickle down her face. “You’ve got a home, a car, a life. This is mine and I’m choosing to end it! Now go away! I don’t want to be rescued!”

Michael took a quick glance down, and immediately wished he hadn’t. They were at least three stories up, and a fall from this height would certainly break a neck. He did notice that Kitt had indeed stopped traffic by blocking all the lanes but one. Michael could hear the faint sounds of sirens in the distance. He swallowed his fear and kept working his body closer to hers. “I’m here to help you. There is always another way. You don’t have to do this.”

She turned her head back to face him. “I don’t have any other way! Stop saying that I do!” She sobbed again. “It’s over! I’ve got nothing left, nothing to live for!”

Michael could hear the sirens getting louder and another glance down made him aware that a crowd was forming beneath them. He forced his attention back on the matter at hand. “You don’t know that for sure! I’ll help you.” He put one hand out, he was so close to her now. “Take my hand.”

“No!” She tried to move away, to get away but his longer arms and legs worked for him this time. He caught up to her and attempted to stop her by placing his body over hers. She was now pinned beneath him, effectively trapped.

“Let me go!” She both screamed and sobbed. “I don’t want to live anymore!” She attempted to push off the fence, but Michael had his hands tightly gripped to the chain links. He wasn’t going to take any chances now. It was a long way to the ground below.

“It’s going to be alright,” Michael spoke softly into her ear, his lips mere inches away. “I can help you if you will only give me the chance.”

He felt her body tense once more before she realized it was useless to continue to try and fight him. She didn’t have the willpower or energy to continue this battle. Her body relaxed against the fence. Her breath was still coming in hitches from her crying. “Okay.” Another partially muffled sob. “But if you can’t help me, don’t let them take me away to a nuthouse!”

“Shh.” He soothed. “I promise you, I’ll help.” He looked down again at the crowd and the emergency vehicles that were at last on-scene. “No one is going to take you anywhere. Now can we get back to safety?”

She didn’t say anything but nodded her head.

“So if I move, you won’t jump?” He wanted to be absolutely sure, before he moved one inch.

“I promise.” She hooked her hands tightly to the fence. “All I have left in this world is my word, and I’m giving it to you.”

He was still edgy but he moved to the other side of her, letting her head back in first. He was practically on her heels the entire way back in, taking no chances. If she showed one sign of giving up, he was going to place his body back on hers.

They made their way back to solid ground amidst the cheers of the crowd below. Michael ignored them. He hadn’t saved her just to be a hero. When they both had their feet firmly planted on the concrete, Michael had to resist the urge to bend down and kiss the ground. His knees felt like rubber, and his fingers ached from holding his weight for so long.

She was shaking now. Her whole body was on the verge of emotional as well as physical collapse. Michael gathered her up in his arms, soothing and rubbing her back. “Shhhh. It’s okay. You’re safe now.” He brought his comlink up and whispered into it. “Kitt, I need you.”

~ To Be Continued ~

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:49 pm

Finish it.

And by the way, you don't need to ask from here on out, finish it, we will read, you are a good enough writer that I don't think anybody will have any problems with what you put out. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightimmortal

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by Matthew » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:50 pm

I think that its great so far. You should definatly finish it.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by krfan1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:10 am

Finish It!!! Can't wait for you to finish it.

Nick

Soul Sista
Rookie

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by Soul Sista » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:54 pm

Go! Go! GO! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

kittgirl
Volunteer

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by kittgirl » Thu Oct 24, 2002 3:15 pm

More more more! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

BabsBunny
Rookie

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by BabsBunny » Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:17 pm

Yes! Please finish it!!! You are a FABULOUS writer!!!!!!!!

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by Centaurus17 » Thu Oct 24, 2002 11:06 pm

Hehe, i cant really add anything new to this except to agree with everyone else. You are definately a great writer and there is no doubt that you should finish the story. I'm sure all of us will be awaiting its release.

Good Luck!

Trekie386
Operative

New Fic - WIP - LifeLine

Post by Trekie386 » Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:39 am

I'll hopefully have it up by Sunday. I've got all day off tomorrow to write! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

In the meantime check out my other post.. Dreams Come True.

It's an Adult Fic so you are warned!

Beth C