Real Life Superheroes - Why Not Real Life Knight Rider?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Real Life Superheroes - Why Not Real Life Knight Rider?

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:58 pm

CNN had a story on real-life superheroes. People who dress up and fight crime. Really!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/06/04/re ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking into the sites mentioned, here are two of them:

Superheroes Anonymous: http://superheroesanonymous.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Real Life Superheroes: http://www.reallifesuperheroes.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reading these sites, these are community-oriented people who want to help and make a difference. I was thinking, what if someone got their car computerized and with a cell phone that could call 911 when they see crime, and be a real-life Knight Rider? And have a base of operations called "Foundation for Law and Government" (or FLAG)? Now that would be cool! They could do like the RL Superheroes and yet be all together connected with their "super" cars (well, computerized cars). Maybe even represent at the annual KR fests!

I was thinking that would be so neat. In these days, anything can happen and dreams can come true. Would be another cool way to make a difference! :)

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Re: Real Life Superheroes - Why Not Real Life Knight Rider?

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:41 am

Somebody in this board I do not recall his username was developing a real life KITT based on the KR08 model. It even used Real Speech TM software. So it would be a matter of people getting together to make it a reality, you know you are right, we have been complaining that the shows are over but the show's message live on and is time to make thst message a reality, God knows we need it in this day and age more than ever before, if TV can no longer provide something to dream and aspire for let's do it for real this time! :good:

k.i.t.t2k
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by k.i.t.t2k » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:20 pm

I think the dream is a great one .. the idea is cool ...but if this was real life then everytime you busted some mugger rapist ect then they would be arresting you too . Sad but true .

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:53 pm

Taoworm is the one building a real KI3T which Transforms and everything :D
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:33 pm

while I definitely appreciate the idea of someone who is a hero, making a difference in the world,

but you really can't support vigilante behavior because it literally begets more crime, and more work for the police.
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:19 pm

honnziva wrote:while I definitely appreciate the idea of someone who is a hero, making a difference in the world,

but you really can't support vigilante behavior because it literally begets more crime, and more work for the police.
A vigilante is someone who dispenses his or her own band of justice outside the law and order system as seen in the Vigilante movies and the recent Femme Fatale version of it "The Brave one". That is not even remotely what is being considered here. Check the Real Superhero website ad you will see that none of those people fall under the Vigilante category either...

If this is going to work in the real world we cannot think of it in the same exact term as in the shows that inspire it.. For example it will probably take more than one person to be enrolled to drive KITT around, I mean we cannot honestly expect one single individual to be on call 24/7 day or night. So KITT will need a team of designated drivers so that one can take over the duties when the other one cannot for whatever reason.

Another thing is that when it comes to choosing the designated drivers we cannot and we must not be sexist about it either! Again this is not a show but the real world we are talking about and if a woman has the qualifications to be a KITT designated driver so be it.

And last but not least even though we would expect to maintain the good 'Ol KR/Superhero code, truth is in the real world where split second life or death decisions sometimes have to be made is not that simple and I would rather read that a drug dealer/gangster etc bit the dust than someone of our newly formed team if it came to that.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Well, I guess I should make some points clear here:

1. Nobody would be arresting anybody. That's the job for the cops. Even in the original KR, they called the cops. They never arrested anyone.

2. In RL, there would be no one "KITT". People could use current car PC technology to outfit their own cars with these things. And they don't have to be awake 24/7. Micheal wasn't either! And I bet KITT even needed recharging at times!

3. In real life, a car could do the following: Video of accidents, video of someone running from a crime scene, the operative/driver calling 911 via on-board cell to report a crime. Using the internet via the AI computer to research suspects and their history, looking for missing kids, looking for suspects on the wanted list.

Also, there are those called "Bounty hunters" which operate within the law, and this could even be something like that (up to the individual, really).

4. Another thing the car/operative could do is go to car shows and other doings and support non-violence and community service. The car could give talks, Q&A sessions, display video, etc. Sorta like what was done with some of them at the Knight Rider Festival. But with more than one theme (instead of Children's Miracle Network which is great and all, but some cars could be promoting fire safety, road safety, child seat restraint safety, nonviolence, anti-crime, pro-education in computers and science, and other worthwhile causes).

There are a lot of different things a person and their car can do. AND stay within the laws of the jurisdiction in which they live/operate in.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:38 pm

^ Agreed!