A Ray of Light Amongst the Darkness

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

A Ray of Light Amongst the Darkness

Post by Matthew » Wed May 20, 2009 11:35 am

Hey guys,

I know the last couple of days have really taken their toll, but there is a ray of light amongst the darkness. According to the Sci Fi UK website, episode 1 of the Knight Rider 2008 series was watched by over 700,000 people, a whopping 35% more than the backdoor pilot managed last week.

Given that international success was a major component in the original series’ success, the fat lady may not have sung that final chord just yet. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: A Ray of Light Amongst the Darkness

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed May 20, 2009 11:38 am

so- what's the best we can hope for now? NBC has pretty much passed on it, and they own scifi- can we hope to see it there?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

johntee
Volunteer

Post by johntee » Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 am

I would say if there is any chance of seeing anymore of Knight Rider 2008 it would be on the new rebranded SyFy network that scifi is turning into. Go and read the description of the new network and you will probably agree that Knight Rider would totally fit on that new channel. Perhaps with an even smaller cast and more along with the original of only Michael and Kitt helping others. :kitt2:

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Wed May 20, 2009 1:33 pm

The question is: does SciFi (or SyFy) produce its own TV shows, or do they only broadcast repeats and shows they bought from other networks?

Knight Rider could be the No 1 show on SyFy if they decide to do a season 2.

I mean, their press release says
to bring you bolder science fiction, stronger drama, faster action, bigger adventure, deeper mystery
and
Everything you love will come along for the ride
So Knight Rider would fit perfectly.

Guess this is the last glimpse of hope!

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Don't think they've production companies but NBC make shows for them. So do other networks and production companies.

Look at Battlestar Gallactica and Stargate, the latter switched to Sci-Fi for its final few years. There's also other shows too, so it IS possible.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed May 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Garthe Knight wrote:The question is: does SciFi (or SyFy) produce its own TV shows, or do they only broadcast repeats and shows they bought from other networks?

Knight Rider could be the No 1 show on SyFy if they decide to do a season 2.

I mean, their press release says
to bring you bolder science fiction, stronger drama, faster action, bigger adventure, deeper mystery
and
Everything you love will come along for the ride
So Knight Rider would fit perfectly.

Guess this is the last glimpse of hope!
ever hear of a little show called "Eureka?" SYfy produces that one.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:50 pm

It's also worth noting what happened when Dollshouse came on.

Now, I don't know how this "TVR" system works (why can't they just use ordinary numbers these days?!) but the KR pilot last week got a rating 0.69, which was the 500,000 figure. This week it got 0.93(!) which is the 700,000 figure....

Dollshouse got 0.72, which means nearly 200,000 people turned off for it... While it's still an amazing figure it goes to show that Knight Rider earned its figure on its own, not just because it was a "lead in" to the new programme. :)
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

Bandit1
Operative

Post by Bandit1 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:23 pm

i can remember that someone here said that NBC do not care about what the show is doing in other countrys. :shock:
Sorry for bad laguage,i´m still learning english!

GREETINGS FROM GERMANY

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Bandit1 wrote:i can remember that someone here said that NBC do not care about what the show is doing in other countrys. :shock:
Yes they do. Even if it's for future DVD releases, or whether it's for renewel through another channel, but they do care, after all it's a direct quote from them on how good the pilot did last week, NBC Global Networks.

Careful who you listen to on here, and the internet in general, there's a lot of assumptions/guesswork/opinions stated as fact online everywhere.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

Bandit1
Operative

Post by Bandit1 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:36 pm

Careful who you listen to on here, and the internet in general, there's a lot of assumptions/guesswork/opinions stated as fact online everywhere.
i know that :wink:

i still remembered that there was something like that.

its all veyry perplexing, what nbc does and whats going on about knight rider.... :roll:
Sorry for bad laguage,i´m still learning english!

GREETINGS FROM GERMANY

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed May 20, 2009 5:20 pm

It does feel like a bitter sweet moment. On one hand it seems that there is little chance of KR08 getting a season 2. On the other, the first two episodes airing in the UK to such a ratings success on a niche channel shows the franchise has a solid fanbase in this country.

It will be interesting to see how the ratings trend compare to the USA during the season 1 run.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Bishop37
Recruit

Post by Bishop37 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:20 pm

Matthew wrote:According to the Sci Fi UK website, episode 1 of the Knight Rider 2008 series was watched by over 700,000 people, a whopping 35% more than the backdoor pilot managed last week.
That's really good, the new Battlestar Galactica was only watched by about 320,000 on Sky 1.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri May 22, 2009 2:12 am

This is a blessing! :D NBC has got to give this another chance. All this show needs is some effort and of course, one other magic word no show can survive without: promotion. NBC barely promoted the show, so what do you expect? NBC should know better than this.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 pm

But didn't the US ratings soar for the pilot and first couple of episodes? They dropped off like flies when they saw how inconsistent and mediocre the first few episodes were.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the show. I would love to see a 2nd season, but this is clasping at straws I feel. It's gone :(

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sat May 23, 2009 2:17 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:This is a blessing! :D NBC has got to give this another chance. All this show needs is some effort and of course, one other magic word no show can survive without: promotion. NBC barely promoted the show, so what do you expect? NBC should know better than this.
Although I'd like to be optimistic, i'm not gonna bother. I know networks too well, NBC has pretty much made up their minds. Even if it did come back NBC would make sure it's an extremely short comeback. Sorry to say.

Super Flash
Rookie

Post by Super Flash » Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Hello There Everyone, :D

I am not giving up on Knight Rider and hope to see it as a mid season replacement on NBC or another channel like USA Network or SCI-FI Channel prehaps syndication. There were alot of reasons for the ratings drop which have
been discusssed at length here since March. From pre-emeptions due to the President, Thanksgiving-Christmas Holiday, some weak episodes, and going against Lost and American Idol. Plus, NBC did not promote the show like then during the pilot so, it is hard to watch the show if you do not know it is on. Going against American Idol with its 20 million plus viewers and Lost certainly didn't help out either. Even if Knight Rider had better episodes I highly doubt that it would have done better then maybe 7 million or 8 million viewers if that. Had Knight Rider been on Thursdays I could see more viewers. All of that is a moot point now since Knight Rider is in limbo and if and when it comes back will it probably be on a different night and hopefully do far better then it's last viewing of 6 million viewers. I will not give up here and I hope you all do not. There is always a chance here and the fat lady has not song. :good:

Take care,
Michael P. Nepa :kitt:
Knight Rider Lives!!!

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sat May 23, 2009 11:42 pm

Super Flash wrote:Hello There Everyone, :D

I am not giving up on Knight Rider and hope to see it as a mid season replacement on NBC or another channel like USA Network or SCI-FI Channel prehaps syndication. There were alot of reasons for the ratings drop which have
been discusssed at length here since March. From pre-emeptions due to the President, Thanksgiving-Christmas Holiday, some weak episodes, and going against Lost and American Idol. Plus, NBC did not promote the show like then during the pilot so, it is hard to watch the show if you do not know it is on. Going against American Idol with its 20 million plus viewers and Lost certainly didn't help out either. Even if Knight Rider had better episodes I highly doubt that it would have done better then maybe 7 million or 8 million viewers if that. Had Knight Rider been on Thursdays I could see more viewers. All of that is a moot point now since Knight Rider is in limbo and if and when it comes back will it probably be on a different night and hopefully do far better then it's last viewing of 6 million viewers. I will not give up here and I hope you all do not. There is always a chance here and the fat lady has not song. :good:

Take care,
Michael P. Nepa :kitt:

wtg super flash! nice to know that there are still those out here that aren't haters, and actually care enough to do something. and not just give up right away like everyone else seems to be doing.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:23 am

Let me break down my points so I can make them as clear as possible:

1- If NBC doesnt renew KR for the fall lineup, can they bring it back some other time later on in the year or next year and continue as nothing happens?

2- how is SiFi and NBC are connected??? can they swtich shows between each other like that? and did it happen before?

3- in a normal senario, will NBC keep an eye on the world reaction to its shows? or they just sell them to other networks or countries and then forget about it?

4- if the DVD sales are ok, will the money factor will be the reason for bringing back a show???
Thank you all Image :kitt:

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Sun May 24, 2009 3:00 am

1. KR is left off of the fall schedule, NBC has yet to "officially" cancel the show. they have not commented on the show at all.
2. NBC owns SciFi and might put it there.
3. NBC will never sell knight rider to another network.
4. it has a part. NBC likes money. preorder the DVD like crazy to show support.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun May 24, 2009 4:33 am

ok, so far so good. now if this SiFi things is to work, do they have thier own lineup? do they have a date to announce their plans for the fall? and if yes, when that will be?
Image :kitt:

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Tue May 26, 2009 11:56 pm

I hope that the UK will save KR. I really want it back. I am litterally having withdrawals.
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aydann.
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Aydann. » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:30 am

2K&3KKITT wrote:I hope that the UK will save KR. I really want it back. I am litterally having withdrawals.
I agree, But KR needs to be accepted in the US before it reaches the UK. I really do hope that we get a Season 2.
One man can make a difference, Michael.