Why did we lose Knight Rider?????

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Why did we lose Knight Rider?????

Post by Knight007 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Is over, NBC told every body that Knight Rider is cancelled.
the dream is over, we will not see any more KITT, Michle or FLAG. But what happened? why did we lose our show????
After 25 years we got only 1 season!!!.

I think GST is the main reason. he didnt do his homework. he didnt understand what KR is all about and gave us that useless TOTW. when people saw that they went off to other shows and didnt look back. after the reboot not alot of people gave KR another chance. it was game over.

Yes, the Obama thing caused some damage, and Yes NBC didnt advertise for the show. BUT GST is the main reson for KR failer. can you think of any other reason????

Image :kitt:

KITT
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Why did we lose Knight Rider?????

Post by KITT » Tue May 19, 2009 2:58 pm

actually.. NBC didn't say anything about knight rider :P
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Tue May 19, 2009 3:02 pm

Yes....

The Pilot Movie was good to great.....

Then GST absolutely destroyed it. Turned it into a lame Mission Impossible clone with way too many characters and hired awful writers. He made the car look ridiculous (attack mode) -- with morphing that defied logic.... How can a 3300 lb. Mustang change into a 5500 lb. Crew Cab Pickup?

Season 1 was so bad -- it was time to put it out of its misery.
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:09 pm

KITT wrote:actually.. NBC didn't say anything about knight rider :P
so what you saying? they may change their mind and bring it back after all????

ANDREWHEARNE
Rookie

Post by ANDREWHEARNE » Tue May 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Exactly. No Statement has been made about it and they could change their minds - lets hope DVD releases pick it up - :) looking forward to rest in UK and KRO doing excellent job supporting.. ;)

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue May 19, 2009 3:13 pm

we don't know. maybe they'll put it on scifi.
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."

davidknightrider
Rookie

Post by davidknightrider » Tue May 19, 2009 3:16 pm

what really pisses me off is the fact that KR was usually finishing 2nd behind American Idol,
what the hell were they expecting in ratings?

it kept steady at 5 million towards the end. And there is no doubt a second season would have continued climbing.

Its dissapointing, but what can you do.

I'm quite surprised also because internationally, KR is doing quite well, and is making headway far more than many other shows.

And i'm pretty sure the DVD's will be great sellers.

I hope they bring it back in some form, even a set of TV movies would be great.
At least close out the story properly.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue May 19, 2009 3:21 pm

the ratings were climbing at the end too.. cause NBC finally got it right.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue May 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Gary Scott Thompson. He bashed the backdoor pilot for not being action-packed enough (among other things), but the real irony is that his ideas and concepts ended up being 10 times worse and made the backdoor pilot almost look like a masterpiece.

He had plenty to say before the show premiered and as the season progressed. To paraphrase: "Then there are the 'haters.' They want to see the show fail. At least give us a chance first!" "Keep watching." (And you may get a hint of a name used in the original series.) Now he is nowhere to be found. Saving face, perhaps?

I don't care how forthcoming the man was with details about the show and behind-the-scenes footage. He had ambition, it's just that all of his ideas were wrong. Someone by the name of George W. Bush comes to mind (let's not get into political bashing; I'm just venting frustration).
Last edited by Lost Knight on Tue May 19, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

welshKITT
Volunteer

Post by welshKITT » Tue May 19, 2009 4:27 pm

I think it is really unfair to shift the most blame to GST, other factors caused it's cancellation. Let's look at all the things that may have caused it's cancellation but from both sides of the arguments.

Gary Scott Thompson
GST may have thought that fans may not have liked it if he kept everything the same hence why he made it different from the original so even if he did make it a direct copy of the original then fans would have done a 'already have 4 seasons of this, bye' and switch the TV off. It is known fact that the first season or so of any show is called the teething season/s, working out what works and what doesn't. There is a possibility that GST has seen other TV shows that have been sequel shows but were different from the originals. However he could have at least explained what he had in mind for the show before hand and hint that something will happen to cause it to go back to the original show (which makes sense for Mike having his memory erased being slowly revealed), I would have done that in a way if I was in his shoes but I would warn fans that it would be very different from the original but it would slowly go back to the original due to upcoming storylines and subplots. Unfortunately it looked like that many fans couldn't wait hence the bad reaction.

NBC
NBC didn't do much advertising according to the people in the US which showed they didn’t care about it. Also NBC put it up against American Idol, what a retarded thing to do. That is the big difference between US networks and UK networks, UK networks never put their popular shows up against reality shows simply cause well they are not stupid. US networks basically copy off many of our shows so they should copy the way we broadcast them too.

Audience
The audience simply compared it to the original which meant that they wanted it to fail from the get go. The way the audience reacted to it showed that they weren’t open minded about it much, you can’t really blame GST and others for trying to make it different. This is why many spin offs and remakes of other shows fail, fans of originals always compare them to the originals. But on the other hand if they made it exactly like the original from the start the audience would have said ‘why don’t you make it different, we already had four seasons of this’. Either way you can’t satisfy the audience no matter how hard you try.

Overall maybe this show could be accepted eventually if fans become more open minded about the differences, this show is about for the audience to use their imagination if the show itself doesn’t explain it.
I am enjoying the show so far simply by not comparing it the original even though I love the original to bits. I do this with other TV shows like Doctor Who for example but also in the case of movies and video games. It’s a shame really that there aren’t many open minded fans out there but who knows maybe even the haters may accept it over time.
Last edited by welshKITT on Tue May 19, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shrtcrt
Volunteer

Post by shrtcrt » Tue May 19, 2009 4:32 pm

We can hope that SciFi will want to pick it up if the overseas ratings are good enough and the DVD sales are. I was hoping for a second season as I thought the last few episodes were getting back to what Knight Rider was all about. Gary Scott Thompson could have done a better job, but I understand his desire to give it a fresh appeal. I think the Transformers like morphing was a bit nuts and the whole crew was too much. The show improved when it was trimmed down. For those of us who are true fans, and by that I mean we LOVED the original series, it is a shame that those people were not in charge of the show.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue May 19, 2009 4:48 pm

welshKITT wrote:Gary Scott Thompson
GST may have thought that fans may not have liked it if he kept everything the same hence why he made it different from the original so even if he did make it a direct copy of the original then fans would have done a 'already have 4 seasons of this, bye' and switch the TV off. It is known fact that the first season or so of any show is called the teething season/s, working out what works and what doesn't. There is a possibility that GST has seen other TV shows that have been sequel shows but were different from the originals.
Well worded post, first of all, and you have a point here. There will always be those fans who are displeased no matter what is done, and that goes for any franchise. The solution would be to pick the lesser of two evils, apparently. Instead, it seemed more like an ego-driven mentality of somebody wanting to do everything their own way.
welshKITT wrote:NBC
NBC didn't do much advertising according to the people in the US which showed they didn’t care about it. Also NBC put it up against American Idol, what a retarded thing to do. That is the big difference between US networks and UK networks, UK networks never put their popular shows up against reality shows simply cause well they are not stupid. US networks basically copy off many of our shows so they should copy the way we broadcast them too.
Only after the show was beginning to receive real negative word-of-mouth. It's true that perhaps it received that from the get-go, but not to the extent of even after the first episode and how poorly written it was. The backdoor pilot was panned by critics and had mixed reviews from audiences and fans. The new series had overwhelmingly negative reviews from both critics and audiences. But there is a flip side to this coin as well. For the people who will complain no matter what, there are also those who loved the show no matter what they came up with, and were apparently pleased with anything possibly perhaps because the name Knight Rider was on it. What started out as "little" advertising ended up becoming no advertising. As Showrunner, Gary Scott Thompson assumes responsibility for the direction, image and concepts of the show. Thus, he is mostly and/or "officially" to blame.

NBC, if anything, had to step in after the trainwreck to try and salvage what was left of the season, hence the so-called "reboot." NBC obviously wanted this show and franchise to succeed or they would have never resurrected it in the first place and wasted their money. Now, you can certainly argue the reasons why they resurrected it, which is a topic for another thread. Even if it was all about the money or preventing Glen A. Larson from going ahead with his motion picture, they are the ones who even brought this franchise back in the first place.
welshKITT wrote:Audience
The audience simply compared it to the original which meant that they wanted it to fail from the get go. The way the audience reacted to it showed that they weren’t open minded about it much, you can’t really blame GST and others for trying to make it different. This is why many spin offs and remakes of other shows fail, fans of originals always compare them to the originals. But on the other hand if they made it exactly like the original from the start the audience would have said ‘why don’t you make it different, we already had four seasons of this’. Either way you can’t satisfy the audience no matter how hard you try.
Some did, yes, which is why I said:
Lost Knight wrote:He had ambition, it's just that all of his ideas were wrong.
The problem here is that even those who did begin being open minded about it were left supremely disappointed, such as myself.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm

Knight007 wrote:Is over, NBC told every body that Knight Rider is cancelled.
the dream is over, we will not see any more KITT, Michle or FLAG. But what happened? why did we lose our show????
After 25 years we got only 1 season!!!.

I think GST is the main reason. he didnt do his homework. he didnt understand what KR is all about and gave us that useless TOTW. when people saw that they went off to other shows and didnt look back. after the reboot not alot of people gave KR another chance. it was game over.

Yes, the Obama thing caused some damage, and Yes NBC didnt advertise for the show. BUT GST is the main reson for KR failer. can you think of any other reason????

Because this show is dried out and they ran the tv franchise to the ground, it had to go, I Didn't like this version anyways.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:24 pm

HisNameisGarth wrote:Yes....

Then GST absolutely destroyed it. Turned it into a lame Mission Impossible clone with way too many characters and hired awful writers. He made the car look ridiculous (attack mode) -- with morphing that defied logic.... How can a 3300 lb. Mustang change into a 5500 lb. Crew Cab Pickup?

Got that right, I'm glad this was the end of the knight rider tv franchise, The original will always be a classic.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue May 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
welshKITT wrote:Gary Scott Thompson
GST may have thought that fans may not have liked it if he kept everything the same hence why he made it different from the original so even if he did make it a direct copy of the original then fans would have done a 'already have 4 seasons of this, bye' and switch the TV off. It is known fact that the first season or so of any show is called the teething season/s, working out what works and what doesn't. There is a possibility that GST has seen other TV shows that have been sequel shows but were different from the originals.
Well worded post, first of all, and you have a point here. There will always be those fans who are displeased no matter what is done, and that goes for any franchise. The solution would be to pick the lesser of two evils, apparently. Instead, it seemed more like an ego-driven mentality of somebody wanting to do everything their own way.
welshKITT wrote:NBC
Only after the show was beginning to receive real negative word-of-mouth. It's true that perhaps it received that from the get-go, but not to the extent of even after the first episode and how poorly written it was. The backdoor pilot was panned by critics and had mixed reviews from audiences and fans. The new series had overwhelmingly negative reviews from both critics and audiences. But there is a flip side to this coin as well. For the people who will complain no matter what, there are also those who loved the show no matter what they came up with, and were apparently pleased with anything possibly perhaps because the name Knight Rider was on it. What started out as "little" advertising ended up becoming no advertising. As Showrunner, Gary Scott Thompson assumes responsibility for the direction, image and concepts of the show. Thus, he is mostly and/or "officially" to blame.

NBC, if anything, had to step in after the trainwreck to try and salvage what was left of the season, hence the so-called "reboot." NBC obviously wanted this show and franchise to succeed or they would have never resurrected it in the first place and wasted their money. Now, you can certainly argue the reasons why they resurrected it, which is a topic for another thread. Even if it was all about the money or preventing Glen A. Larson from going ahead with his motion picture, they are the ones who even brought this franchise back in the first place.
welshKITT wrote:Audience
Some did, yes, which is why I said:
Lost Knight wrote:He had ambition, it's just that all of his ideas were wrong.
The problem here is that even those who did begin being open minded about it were left supremely disappointed, such as myself.
would have to agree with ya there. though, despite its flaws, i really enjoyed the show.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue May 19, 2009 5:51 pm

What made it fail?

It's already been said to be honest. GST decided to go for the terrorist of the week plot which killed the first half of the season and that's the worst time you want to screw it up when it's important to keep raking in viewers at that point.

For years to come, people will be saying "if only the last 4 or 5 episodes had been like the whole season".

And I don't mean to add insult to injury but I think KR is done now, at least as a tv show. How many times has it been revived and failed?

3rd time should have been the charm but this didn't work either and they done a lot of things right with the show too.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue May 19, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm just going to say that the audience or fandom who supported this series is NOT to blame. You all did everything in your power to show NBCU that you care. You justified their mistakes, you tried to understand their reasoning for making so many changes, you sent letters, you hung in there through reboot after reboot and for that gesture alone, you have nothing as fans to be ashamed of.

The fans for or against this "new vision" didn't fail to support the property of Knight Rider, NBCU did because back then they didn't "get it" and apparently they still do not today. For better or worse, you fans choose to carry a torch to keep the spirit of Knight Rider alive despite how it may evolve from one incarnation to the next.

You do what people with passion are supposed to do...you chose to care.

Don't ever let anyone else tell you different.

=VK=
:dash:

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue May 19, 2009 6:00 pm

i don't really consider TKR to be part of the franchise.
at least we have the last 4 or 5 episodes that were what the show was supposed to be.

thank you nick for those nice words.

TheSlythe
Volunteer

Post by TheSlythe » Tue May 19, 2009 6:03 pm

How can a 3300 lb. Mustang change into a 5500 lb. Crew Cab Pickup?

Easy...
The weight of the vehicles dont need to be the same as their real life conterparts.

How does a balloon increase in size when you inflate it??

The bigger it gets, the thinner the walls are.

I often thought they could have explained this in the episode where KITT turned into a van. Maybe the walls of the vehiclle were so thin, it was no longer bullet proof.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue May 19, 2009 6:06 pm

i was never a fan of the transforming. got better towards the end of the season though.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue May 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Well thanks for nothing GST.
He has not only got the show canceled after 17 episodes with his lame atempt with no story etc.
He has not only killed the series but i would say he's discredited the KR Francise complely now..
Doubt we'll get a movie after this..

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:46 pm

whet wrote:Well thanks for nothing GST.
He has not only got the show canceled after 17 episodes with his lame atempt with no story etc.
He has not only killed the series but i would say he's discredited the KR Francise complely now..
Doubt we'll get a movie after this..

I Hope we just get a motion picture to clean up the mess.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Tue May 19, 2009 6:53 pm

NBC just had to keep Law and Order on their list....

I want Knight Rider!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:56 pm

:? I am confused is Knight Rider canceled or not?
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Pct1theory
Rookie

Post by Pct1theory » Tue May 19, 2009 7:27 pm

kitt34 wrote:
HisNameisGarth wrote:Yes....

Got that right, I'm glad this was the end of the knight rider tv franchise, The original will always be a classic.
Screw you both. The transformations were really freaking cool. The fact that KITT could change into an F-150 I found to be freaking amazing and awesome. I enjoyed every episode and all of it was good. GST could have done a better job and i'm glad he made the show what it was and i'm also mad how it came out.

Attack Mode looks badass and is freaking cool. SPM looked odd on KITT and Attack Mode Looks Odd. So what! Still both are cool and well enjoyed.

ITS A CAR WITH FUTURE TECHNOLOGIES OF COURSE IT DEFEATS LOGIC ITS A TV SHOW AND THATS WHAT MADE IT SO COOL!!!!!