If the series is not renewed

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

If the series is not renewed

Post by Solid Snake » Mon May 04, 2009 8:05 am

Should we get the bad news then I suggest we all go to the NBC forums of Knight Rider the very same minute and massively post our dismay and disappointment and that we urge NBC to give the series a second season (maybe as a summer show for next year) or to let the show go into syndication! Because in the right hands the franchise is gold!

NBC Knight Rider board: http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?showforum=307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, let me also clearly state here that all posts should be clean and not be using any harsh, violent and threatening words... Let us show them that we do want the show back and that we are not mindless fanboys. Being a fan of Knight Rider is a non-contact sport.

What do you all say?
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Re: If the series is not renewed

Post by tamatt27 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:35 am

I'm down for posting my dismay.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Mon May 04, 2009 8:47 am

It can't hurt. But I'm not sure what you seek to accomplish. If its not on NBC's slate its too late for a renewal. A show needs 100 episodes or 4 seasons I think before it can be sold into syndication. When Sci Fi cancelled Invisible Man, people did the same thing. I think the interest over the years in the series lead to the region 1 DVD release last year, something I never thought would happen, but since KR is already out on DVD I'm not sure what the purpose would be to slam their board with posts other than to vent frustration.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon May 04, 2009 9:29 am

Baywatch, best ever example. That series was cancelled after just one season, it went into syndication a year later and look what happened... it is the most popular TV show of all time (according to the Guinness book of records) . I am not saying this will happen to KR... but I am just saying we should let NBC know if they don't want to please the fans there is other ways that will please them (by selling the show), syndication will even get NBC some hard needed cash.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Mon May 04, 2009 9:35 am

Viper is another example. Baywatch and Viper were first run syndications, I thought you meant the typical kind of syndication. I suppose it can't hurt to try but I'm skeptical that NBC would sell the tv rights to KR. I think they recognize the worldwide appeal of KR and the value of its tv rights despite any decision they've made on KR08 so IMO they're probably more likely to hold onto them than sell them and if they do, I'm convinced they'd do so at an inflated price. But you make a good point and getting a first run syndication would be a goal to seek.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Mon May 04, 2009 2:38 pm

i could use some help on the comment thread for their fall lineup news article.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

I have a feeling NBC Universal would never sell Knight Rider

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 am

Universal does not have to sell it, just open up the contract to enable it being made for other stations instead of only NBC. They don't have to sell the property rights to the original Knight Rider or its franchise, they will only have to license it... similar to what they do with games that are based on a TV or movie franchise. Which is again... weird to me... why would they not do it... if they don't have the plan to do something with it?

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue May 05, 2009 7:50 am

Solid Snake wrote:Universal does not have to sell it, just open up the contract to enable it being made for other stations instead of only NBC. They don't have to sell the property rights to the original Knight Rider or its franchise, they will only have to license it... similar to what they do with games that are based on a TV or movie franchise. Which is again... weird to me... why would they not do it... if they don't have the plan to do something with it?
The TOS show has been running in syndication for ages now. Other than showing the knuckelheads at NBC that is indeed a popular show it won't do much else. So guess no news yet huh? I thought we would know something by May and we are in May!

KITTvsKARR1995
Operative

Post by KITTvsKARR1995 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 am

Why can they don't show it on an other TV channel? Like FOX or something?
Michael Knight, a lone crusader in a dangerous world, the world..... of the Knight Rider

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue May 05, 2009 9:30 pm

I agree, we should keep up the campaign even if we hear bad news. It's only starting to air in other countries so we will likely have more and more people wanting to get involved in the campaign every day.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:02 am

lets face the facts everybody kr08 didn't live up to the standards of the original series, gary scott thompson screwed it up and tried to make it more like fast and furious, nbc should have stuck to the pilot version for the series and the ratings would have held up a lot better, also the stupid truck transformations killed the show too, and the series attack mode was ugly looking. also the series was lacking in stunts and the turbo boosts were not done very well with the cgi. lets face it the writing is on the wall, kr08 is cancelled on nbc and wont be coming back. it's a shame because it could have been a really good show if it was done right from the beginning, the 2 hour pilot was a good start but it went downhill from there!
in glen larson we trust.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed May 06, 2009 4:50 am

you and marcus should get together sometime.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 am

I am down for it too mate when it happens post the link up and we will do the rest. people need to stand up
for what they believe in. as we did on April 15 Tea parties they need to start to listen to us or else!!

Boycott all NBC programming!! When they have no viewers (if they have any at all). Maybe they will realize their stupidity.
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed May 06, 2009 4:23 pm

KITTvsKARR1995 wrote:Why can they don't show it on an other TV channel? Like FOX or something?
One, NBCU owns the TV rights and wouldn't give them up, second why would another broadcast network take a risk on a show that performed so poorly? Being the "best of the worst" really isn't enough as seen with how there's been no mention by NBC about the fate of KR..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Wed May 06, 2009 11:26 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:I am down for it too mate when it happens post the link up and we will do the rest. people need to stand up
for what they believe in. as we did on April 15 Tea parties they need to start to listen to us or else!!

Boycott all NBC programming!! When they have no viewers (if they have any at all). Maybe they will realize their stupidity.
The only things I have watched on NBC in the last couple of years were Journeyman and KR. The majority of what I watch is on CBS. I watch a few things on Fox, and CW.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Thu May 07, 2009 12:59 am

Hey the only things I watched on NBC as well were Journeryman and KR,I was sad to see Journeyman go,I wish they released it on DVD.

If KR isnt renewed Ill stick to the DVDs and never watch NBC again since I rarely watch it anyway...
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu May 07, 2009 5:16 am

the only shows I watched on NBC are Journeyman, Bionic Women, Heroes, Crossing Jordan, Knight Rider. there is a trend with NBC to cancel the good shows and do not listen to the viewers.
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Thu May 07, 2009 5:49 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
KITTvsKARR1995 wrote:Why can they don't show it on an other TV channel? Like FOX or something?
One, NBCU owns the TV rights and wouldn't give them up, second why would another broadcast network take a risk on a show that performed so poorly? Being the "best of the worst" really isn't enough as seen with how there's been no mention by NBC about the fate of KR..
Was it though? I mean best of the worst? It was pegged against American Idol and got in the second place rating wise without major promo and announcements (after the 3rd episode?). American Idol dwarfed every single thing that was on that day but KR came second more than just one or two times. It virtually always ended in the top 3.

I think a smaller TV station would be happy with the constant 5-6 million viewers that a show can get when it was lined up against American Idol.
I think KR had the bad luck of being run by GST, having to much skin, a bad time slot, abrupt ending of promotion (after the Obama break), and a turnaround that was initiated a few weeks to late. Still the series can get picked up for another run and with some easy fixes it can be better than this last season, replace GST (with Andron), make the story lines more serious and believable... and that alone would prove as a big change for the better. Oww... and use more KR sounding music during the episodes, I am sure Christopher Tyng can make some cool KR based tunes for action scenes... or heck... bring Don Peake in to do it... would get some fans in hyper happy mode :D .

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Thu May 07, 2009 5:49 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
Was it though? I mean best of the worst? I am not talking about critical reviews here, but I am talking about pure ratings. It was pegged against American Idol and got in the second place rating wise without major promo and announcements (after the 3rd episode?), did NBC really think a remake....... I mean "continuation" of an old 80's franchise would be able to beat a reality show? American Idol dwarfed every single thing that was on that day but KR came second more than just one or two times. It virtually always ended in the top 3.

I think a smaller TV station would be happy with the constant 5-6 million viewers that a show can get when it was lined up against American Idol.
I think KR had the bad luck of being run by GST, having to much skin, a bad time slot, abrupt ending of promotion (after the Obama break), and a turnaround that was initiated a few weeks to late. Still the series can get picked up for another run and with some easy fixes it can be better than this last season, replace GST (with Andron), make the story lines more serious and believable... and that alone would prove as a big change for the better. Oww... and use more KR sounding music during the episodes, I am sure Christopher Tyng can make some cool KR based tunes for action scenes... or heck... bring Don Peake in to do it... would get some fans in hyper happy mode :D .

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu May 07, 2009 6:47 am

Solid Snake wrote:
PHOENIXZERO wrote:
Was it though? I mean best of the worst? I am not talking about critical reviews here, but I am talking about pure ratings. It was pegged against American Idol and got in the second place rating wise without major promo and announcements (after the 3rd episode?), did NBC really think a remake....... I mean "continuation" of an old 80's franchise would be able to beat a reality show? American Idol dwarfed every single thing that was on that day but KR came second more than just one or two times. It virtually always ended in the top 3.

Exactly! They even rebooted series with KARR episode and did't even advertised.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu May 07, 2009 7:21 am

Let's face it, it's probably better that they didn't and they did advertise it, just not very much and it might be a good thing with how it played out, the ratings for that episode weren't so good either. I think the whole "transforming" thing continued to turn people off.

Honestly, I don't think Andron is the right person, inexperience aside, I don't think he has the right passion for it. He might have a closer idea as to what KR is but he still would want to do things his way which I'm sure would have included even more changing established history though probably not way GST took it. I'm not sure how much respect he has for the original series from the changes he did make when things could have been handled in a different way as to not at all clash with what was already established. I'd want someone who's a genuine fan of the original and respects it for what it was and has a firm enough grasp of the mythology that he/she doesn't need to pull stuff from out of nowhere to make a story that's a continuation. They don't need to know every little detail of every episode but they should be familiar with the basics and major characters and be able to mention them without struggling to think about it like they crammed for a test the night before. But also still have enough sense to take it where it needs to go 20+ years later and not totally stick it into a 40 minute love fest every week of the original series.

As for ratings, you need to look at all the situations in that KR performed, I no longer think (and haven't for months) that the week off impact the ratings as much as the excuses for the drop made it. I think if that were the case then the ratings would have had an even bigger drop after KR was on hiatus for over a month, but they didn't and even went up a bit. Also, the ratings "wins" aren't something to brag about seeing what competition there was during those increases. The last episode that was in second place went against reruns of everything that had beat it before, aside from American Idol. Even if KR ran totally unopposed I have a feeling things wouldn't be that different. If people really want to watch something, they'll watch it, if they do and don't like what they see they'll change the channel and never come back. I can believe 2.5M people were turned off after the first several episodes before Obumpa, though I still think that was a bad move to bump a show that had yet to establish itself. On the other hand, a lot of NBC's other shows that are coming back barely did better in total viewers than the last episode of KR but again, unfortunately the ratings in the key demos were still stronger for them than what KR had.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Thu May 07, 2009 10:44 am

I think Andron does have the passion for it, as shown in the way how he tried to make the best of out the pilot story... writer strike and all. They referenced the Trans Am and its AI, Wilton Knight... Michael Knight... What more could you want? Of a pilot that was backdoor and rushed thanks to the strike.

And so what if he changes the way KR is going? The same happened with TOS (in a way) when it went from season one to two... much more outlandish and "big time" villains. Andron could do the same... the only thing he needs to drop really is the FBI element, which in the reboot of the show was dropped already.

True he is not experienced... but experience does not mean everything? Look at GST, NBC hired him as he had experience with fast action... was that a good thing?

I am just saying give the bloke a chance :) .

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Fri May 08, 2009 3:57 pm

IF it's not renewed I won't watch NBC much. I don't watch their craptastic network much as is other than catching Leno occasionally. If his new show is any good I'll watch it but if it's boring I won't and then NBC will be totally off my viewing list.