Knight Rider News - NBC Announces Their 2009-2010 Line-up

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

The-Knight-2000
Volunteer

Re: Knight Rider News - NBC Announces Their 2009-2010 Line-up

Post by The-Knight-2000 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:14 pm

The other thing to consider is that the show has started airing in other countries. It actually starts here in the UK on SciFi on the 12th of May and its being advertised pretty heavily - something NBC should have done from the start.

I've already downloaded and watched the entire series anyway, but i'll still be watching on TV just to help the ratings. The UK market has saved shows before, for example Due South. it was cancelled after 2 seasons, the BBC stepped in and we got another 2 seasons of Due South afterwards with only minor cast changes (notably David Marciano departing though he returned for the end of the series).

We're not done yet people.

Drifty
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Drifty » Mon May 04, 2009 5:35 pm

The-Knight-2000 wrote:The other thing to consider is that the show has started airing in other countries. It actually starts here in the UK on SciFi on the 12th of May and its being advertised pretty heavily - something NBC should have done from the start.

I've already downloaded and watched the entire series anyway, but i'll still be watching on TV just to help the ratings. The UK market has saved shows before, for example Due South. it was cancelled after 2 seasons, the BBC stepped in and we got another 2 seasons of Due South afterwards with only minor cast changes (notably David Marciano departing though he returned for the end of the series).

We're not done yet people.
Agreed. Lets not forget Heroes started out there too before being picked up by BBC. Plus I've seen it advertised in the TV guide that come with The Sun newspaper. I guess time will tell......

ianruk
Rookie

Post by ianruk » Mon May 04, 2009 5:59 pm

thats true here in the u.k we haved saved a few shows even 24 wasnt that going to get canceled until it was showed here got huge ratings so they decided to keep it running cause of the ratings here in the u.k

only difference is knight rider being on sci-fi here in the u.k and that channel doesnt really bring in good ratings like something like sky-one

so it will be hard to get high ratings here although they have promoted it here really good

maybe NBC should take a leaf out of our book here with promoting shows

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon May 04, 2009 6:07 pm

I could only hope for a second season renewal but the odds are indeed against us. Unfortunately GST has not been able to deliver what I thought would be a fully-blown-action-series. In my opinion I think they made a lot of promises they knew they were not able to keep and that alone is a failure viewers are not willing to take (and by viewers I mean the vast majority, not a minority that loves everything about Knight Rider no matter how badly it's done). If you want something that works you need to put effort into making it great! Some of us might say - what was GST thinking? what was the expected outline for the entire season? I'm sure lots of things went haywire with all the changes they were trying to make. Speaking of changes, what did they really change with the reboot? In essence they got rid of the terrorist-theme, they reduced the cast and the show was narrowed to what Knight Rider was in the 80's - one man and his car set to fight crime. As far as special effects and technology goes nothing was changed. Oh well, perhaps something did change regarding the special effects... the CGI was used even more. I know they were on a tight budget but if you let CGI do all the talking somewhere along the season people will be asking for other... how shall I say "technicalities". Everything they did included CGI and somewhere it has to stop! I know the weeks are long and wearing without the Knight Rider-shot every Wednesday night but if a series is not progressing in a way the majority prefer it's better off cancelled and that's why the network is taking this course of action...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

ianruk
Rookie

Post by ianruk » Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 pm

it wasnt about them saying things they couldnt deliver the problem was

1.they didnt promote it at all
2.they put on a night where there were big shows on other networks (instead of putting it on a quite night to make them gain viewers)
3.i think the CGI did go over board and the K.A.R.R thing didnt help because they tried to change what knight rider was

i accually though the series got better and better each week it was 10000000000 times better than the 2 hour movie cause that just sucked

in closing its nbc falut for the low ratings not the show or the kr writers

juliec30
Rookie

Post by juliec30 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Garthe Knight wrote:I guess we should all sign in and post for a second season for Knight Rider.
http://www.nbc.com/news/news-from-you/submit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what the Chuck fans do.

So let's start writing over there. :kitt2:

I told NBC my story. I want a 2nd season. I miss Knight Rider on Wednesdays. :D :kittside:
Always keep Knight Rider in your heart and soul and it will live on forever.

probe2006
Volunteer

Post by probe2006 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:47 pm

its monday may 4 and there is no sign of knight rider anywhere http://www.nbc.com/upcoming-shows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; id nbc dumb or just blind why did they replace our show with a stupid Harry pothead looking show called merlin. id does say more shows picked up by may 19 but i aint holding my breath. :cry:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon May 04, 2009 7:01 pm

it wasnt about them saying things they couldnt deliver the problem was

2.they put on a night where there were big shows on other networks (instead of putting it on a quite night to make them gain viewers)
3.i think the CGI did go over board and the K.A.R.R thing didnt help because they tried to change what knight rider was

i accually though the series got better and better each week it was 10000000000 times better than the 2 hour movie cause that just sucked

Actually they did promote it quite well, at first! It was not until after the presidential election that things got out of hands and they didn't promote it at all. That January very few knew about the reboot and only a small percentage gave it another shot. The rest knew the race was over.
I know Wednesday nights are not an ideal slot for Knight Rider and that the Karr episode did squat but you can't deny the facts that the show was down on ratings because of the things I mentioned in my previous post.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

ianruk
Rookie

Post by ianruk » Mon May 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Knight-Armen
your right in some ways because they didnt change much from the reboot
apart from get away with some characters.

But don't forget they were really planing on 22-23 episodes (cant remember how many) and they cant suddenly change things in a few weeks they were prob going to do it slowly with the remaining episodes being cut due to NBC, so the writers never really got the chance or had the time to change everything and make it back into a series like the old knight rider way

the 80's version was 'one man and his car' but that was 20 odd years ago and i think what they wanted to put across is in the 80's one man could make a difference but in these day and ages one man needs a team aswell

from the reboot they did make it mike and k.i.t.t on the road alone but the thing i think that messed up is the comedy (ok the comedy with mike and k.i.t.t was good cause it reminded me of the old knight rider) but when you go back and have zoe and billy trying to make jokes and the lovely stuff just didnt work and made the show a bit silly, they should have had more mike and k.i.t.t

i was a fan of sarah and billy cause it was like the old knight rider instead of devon you had sarah (after they killed off the other devon type), you had billy that was like the geek in the show which reminded me a bit of bonnie with his knowledge of computers and k.i.t.t, but i never really saw the use in keeping zoe,i didnt accually like her 1 bit and in my book she wasnt important to the show

i think if NBC doesnt pick it up and i doubt they will now,that they have missed a good chance to let knight rider have a second chance.
they should look at the other shows on other networks and put knight rider up with some low rating shows on a different night,because you have to give people a chance to get into it and watch it,you cant put it up with shows that have been going for years and have a good following and expect people to miss thier show for knight rider or any other new show.
you need to build up a shows fanbase then once they have viewers and people get into it THEN the following season you might change things around.

the writers could have done a bit better but they can only do as much as the network lets them and on a budget wouldnt help like the 80's knight rider they could use little effects and do real stunts and smash up cars for fun,but they cant really do that now cause of budget

not to mention things being cut out by the network on certain epsiodes

i think the writers did a good job with what they were given,people said they didnt like certain points and the writers to thier credit tried to listen and change little things,so least they were giving it a go

where as the network do not listen at all,all they are interested in is money

if any of the shows actors or writers read this then i say

'well done and thank you guys for trying to give us what we wanted and thanks for listening to us, you did a good job for what you were allowed to do, you cant please everyone but you did a good job i think'

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Mon May 04, 2009 8:33 pm

With all due respect, I think we need to read the writing on the wall. It's over.

daroga
Rookie

Post by daroga » Mon May 04, 2009 8:40 pm

I was just thinking today that Knight Rider might be a nice "summer series" for NBC, not unlike TNT does with The Closer and few others. Get ratings for their network during the summer reruns, it wouldn't be fighting the other "big" shows out there, and could probably be pretty successful with 13-or-so episode seasons.

Not that I think such a thing would happen (especially not for this summer). Our best bet at this point seems to be the series continuing to live on USA or SciFi.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:19 pm

juliec30 wrote:
Garthe Knight wrote:I guess we should all sign in and post for a second season for Knight Rider.
http://www.nbc.com/news/news-from-you/submit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what the Chuck fans do.

So let's start writing over there. :kitt2:

I told NBC my story. I want a 2nd season. I miss Knight Rider on Wednesdays. :D :kittside:
This is what I put:
I left work every Wednesday in order to catch the latest adventure of Mike and KITT! Knight Rider of the 80's was a cult classic, and I LOVE the new series! This was the perfect time to resurrect the series and I plead to NBC....."Let us have another season of Knight Rider!" Since the show has started, I've actually bought a Mustang GT and am making a replica of the new KITT! There is a huge fanbase that will pull in steady ratings! Knight Rider was ALWAYS got the second best ratings compared to the American Idol. It's the strongest show in the timeslot. Please...give Knight Rider ONE MORE CHANCE!

Everyone do the same! If it'll have a chance of working for Chuck, then Knight Rider should be no different!!
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mustang_fan91
Rookie

Post by mustang_fan91 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:57 pm

Autoblog has just posted, that "KR has been cancelled" *say in mocking tone* using the LA Times entertainment section.

I feel like setting all the haters straight in there by saying that there is nothing official right now.

LONG LIVE KI3T
KI3T: "I have something we need to discuss. It's important."
Mike: "Dude, It's been a really long day and if you're secretly falling in love with me, I'm going to be awfully upset"

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:31 am

I dont know how I stayed alive untill May 5th. and now we have to stay alert untill May 19 or 18!!!!!!!!! dont we know any body with a copy of NBC's key so we can open their offices and find out before that time??????? KR should have better treatment from NBC. Image :kitt:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue May 05, 2009 4:55 am

ianruk - You've made some good points! :D

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 am

ianruk wrote:it wasnt about them saying things they couldnt deliver the problem was

No offence, but you couldn't be more wrong if you tried!! You should really do your research before bitching about the people who are holding the life of the show in their hands!

NBC promoted the life outta KR at the start, and for a LONG time building up to it as well! Sci-Fi Now magazine here in the UK reported on the independent research that proved Knight Rider had the most successful pre-transmission promotional campaign ever! In other words, more people knew about it than any other show in recent memory prior to it coming on. But when it aired it only got 7 million.

This might seem like a good figure to people on here but it simply isn't. I know TV had taken a plummet, ratings-wise, across the board but the fact remains this was only mediocre. But still NBC gave our show a full 22-episode order (which was only cut back to 17 due to financial reasons, nothing to do with KR itself) and ordered GST to take it back to be more like what the original was like. A few months ago Sci-Fi Now also reported on this in an interview with GST in which he admitted that NBC had been constantly on at him to make it more like the original in those first episodes and finally they ordered a full reboot to bring it into line with what they thought people wanted and would work much better.

Now, to me, that shows faith in the original concept and shows faith that the new show CAN be similar and enjoy the same success. But what business in the world is going to shove more millions into promoting a show that's only got five episodes left?! No one would, and so you can't blame them for not doing so. They will have been checking up on fan reaction, word-of-mouth, and ratings, and we'll find out their answer in a few weeks.

The fact remains that at the end of the pilot, no matter what people thought of it, a solid cast and setting was in place and GST came in and turned it into what he wanted to do with it - which in my opinion was 'Fast & The Furious: The TV Show', certainly NOT Knight Rider! It's not a hard concept to get right, especially since it was all set up for him with the pilot movie!

Yes, series get tweaked and shuffled about between pilot and series but he totally screwed it up! The last few episodes show he can do proper Knight Rider and make a hugely enjoyable show out of it and I love his work on those eps (and a few of the early ones which showed promise , like the two-parter and the one where the bad guy was the actor from Knight Rider 2010) but people saw his original vision and simply didn't tune in and the critics jumped on it!!

The show had two very competent Executive Producers already and Dave Andron could've been head writer. With a better choice of programme runner Knight Rider could've been huge, picking up viewers as it went along. It still can with a second year, and GST has finally proven he can do it brilliantly, but if it gets cancelled I for one will NOT be blaming NBC.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

MURDOCK
Rookie

Post by MURDOCK » Tue May 05, 2009 10:14 am

Just read the show is gone......
Please God tell me i am wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm

The one thing that I find quite amusing is the amount of people having switched from bashing the show to whinging about it being canceled.

Way to go with being consistent!

Its not all over for the show yet, lets wait till the 19th (or whenever it is) for the full line up to be announced. In the meantime annoy the hell outta NBC with calls, emails and thread posts regarding the potential cancellation.

Make some noise, after all it costs nothing and we have nothing to loose by trying. :good:
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm

chrisjones wrote:The one thing that I find quite amusing is the amount of people having switched from bashing the show to whinging about it being canceled.

Its not all over for the show yet, lets wait till the 19th (or whenever it is) for the full line up to be announced. In the meantime annoy the hell outta NBC with calls, emails and thread posts regarding the potential cancellation.

Make some noise, after all it costs nothing and we have nothing to loose by trying. :good:
Dude its over. They're not even talking about it. There's been no mention of it at all. If this was Chuck I'd agree with you b/c the sites and papers are talking about it not showing up yesterday and the possibility of it showing up on the 19th. But they didn't even mention KR, they acted like it never existed. Completely ignoring it like it never existed won't somehow magically bring it back on the 19th. If Silverman had said "There's still a decision left to be made on KR" that's one thing, but he said nothing. Its time to face reality.

Knight Writer
Recruit

Post by Knight Writer » Tue May 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Looks like it is canceeled guys

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... 9235.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bottom Paragraph!!

:(

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Tue May 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
chrisjones wrote:The one thing that I find quite amusing is the amount of people having switched from bashing the show to whinging about it being canceled.

Dude its over. They're not even talking about it. There's been no mention of it at all. If this was Chuck I'd agree with you b/c the sites and papers are talking about it not showing up yesterday and the possibility of it showing up on the 19th. But they didn't even mention KR, they acted like it never existed. Completely ignoring it like it never existed won't somehow magically bring it back on the 19th. If Silverman had said "There's still a decision left to be made on KR" that's one thing, but he said nothing. Its time to face reality.
Your reasoning is flawed though. The fact they said nothing could as easily imply its canceled as much as they are sitting tight on information whilst they asses the interest in the show in Europe. Fact is none of us know and until someone actually says its canceled its just as fair to assume the show might be back, be it on NBC or syndication, just as much as it could be caned.
Lets not forget Ford have a major interest in the success of this show. Your gonna tell me that Knight Rider hasn't helped ship a stack load of Mustangs? In the current climate anything to help sell cars will be pushed to the limit.
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue May 05, 2009 5:37 pm

chrisjones wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:

Your reasoning is flawed though. The fact they said nothing could as easily imply its canceled as much as they are sitting tight on information whilst they asses the interest in the show in Europe. Fact is none of us know and until someone actually says its canceled its just as fair to assume the show might be back, be it on NBC or syndication, just as much as it could be caned.
Lets not forget Ford have a major interest in the success of this show. Your gonna tell me that Knight Rider hasn't helped ship a stack load of Mustangs? In the current climate anything to help sell cars will be pushed to the limit.
1) There's no way foreign ratings will ensure renewal on NBC. At best, it will make the case for a first run syndication and that's if ratings are pretty high and NBC is willing to sell/license the tv rights. As far as domestic is concerned it is indeed toast. Don't expect an official announcement from NBC. They didn't release a statement for Bionic Woman, they just ignored it like they are doing now to KR.

2) You aren't looking at the big picture. These bailouts and democratic government means they will push incredibly hard for Detroit to make smaller, lighter, fuel efficient vehicles. Every source I've read predicts this to happen. The fate of cars like the Mustang, Corvette, are very dubious right now. Pontiac just died and GM is completely phasing it out by next year. So even if NBC's KR boosted Mustang sales 500%, I'm making that up I have no idea if the show helped Mustang sales at all, it doesn't matter since its looking more and more likely that American car companies are going to reduce or eliminate heavy fuel hogging vehicles, ie. sports cars and SUVs.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote: 2) You aren't looking at the big picture. These bailouts and democratic government means they will push incredibly hard for Detroit to make smaller, lighter, fuel efficient vehicles. Every source I've read predicts this to happen. The fate of cars like the Mustang, Corvette, are very dubious right now. Pontiac just died and GM is completely phasing it out by next year. So even if NBC's KR boosted Mustang sales 500%, I'm making that up I have no idea if the show helped Mustang sales at all, it doesn't matter since its looking more and more likely that American car companies are going to reduce or eliminate heavy fuel hogging vehicles, ie. sports cars and SUVs.
The gov't doesn't have direct control over Ford as they do Chrysler and GM at the moment. Ford will do everything under the sun to keep the Mustang around because it's a mainstay with the American public and a core asset for Ford. The Gov't has always pushed for smaller, more fuel efficient cars....even though the general consensus is the public doesn't want them.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue May 05, 2009 8:25 pm

tamatt27 wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote: 2) You aren't looking at the big picture. These bailouts and democratic government means they will push incredibly hard for Detroit to make smaller, lighter, fuel efficient vehicles. Every source I've read predicts this to happen. The fate of cars like the Mustang, Corvette, are very dubious right now. Pontiac just died and GM is completely phasing it out by next year. So even if NBC's KR boosted Mustang sales 500%, I'm making that up I have no idea if the show helped Mustang sales at all, it doesn't matter since its looking more and more likely that American car companies are going to reduce or eliminate heavy fuel hogging vehicles, ie. sports cars and SUVs.
The gov't doesn't have direct control over Ford as they do Chrysler and GM at the moment. Ford will do everything under the sun to keep the Mustang around because it's a mainstay with the American public and a core asset for Ford. The Gov't has always pushed for smaller, more fuel efficient cars....even though the general consensus is the public doesn't want them.
IMHO its only a matter of time. But you're right it hasn't come to that....yet on both counts the gov. influence over Ford and the Stang's continued existence. I don't want to turn this into a will the Mustang live or not argument. But even still, I don't think the Ford deal will come into play with KR especially at this point in time. Its over folks for this new version of KR that is.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue May 05, 2009 9:56 pm

marcus, you are a disgrace to knight rider fans.

it ain't over until the fat lady sings.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;