Entertainment Weekly predicts KR08 is canceled

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Entertainment Weekly predicts KR08 is canceled

Post by KFCreator » Sat May 02, 2009 7:43 am

Just noticed this while surfing darkhorizons.com for movie news and was disappointed at seeing this but I'm trying not to put too much stock into what they say since Entertainment Weekly had almost nothing but harsh things to say about the series even after the reboot and even after ratings climbed at several points. Personally, I think EW is heavily biased and is very much against the new show so that might influence their prediction for whether the series returns this Fall or not.

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/04/fal ... eat-s.html
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Re: Entertainment Weekly predicts KR08 is canceled

Post by LeslieGruffod » Sat May 02, 2009 11:15 am

It doesn't look good for Knight Rider on any level that I can see.

I think we are all holding out hope, because there has been no official announcement. Yet, by all indications, there doesn't need to be. It all hinges on whether Knight Rider will be included in NBC's forthcoming line-up. The majority of media commentators say its not going to happen or its already been cancelled.

My heart wants it to happen. My gut pretty much knows it won't. I hate clinging on to false hope. It just sets up heartbreak. And there has been nothing substantial to cling any hope on at all. The fact it attracts a certain demographic is not enough. Farscape attracted an unusually high amount of female fans and that got cancelled.

I feel, sadly, we should be grieving the show and get past the first stage of that grief, which is denial...

Kudos to all those who fought to keep our show alive. But I feel all that waits is the coroners report! :(

I'll miss Knight Rider. It turned into quite a solid show!

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sat May 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Yea I have to say it as well. I think Knight rider is over. HOnestly I would be amazed if it came back for season 2. I was even thinking maybe they could try a limited season to see of they can pick up some steam but it don't look like that's gonna happen.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Shredder565
Recruit

Post by Shredder565 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:09 pm

Well, the show was troubled from the start.

Yet, even with that, it still lasted far longer than any of the replacement shows that where put in it's place. Has a far stronger fan base....

And NBC, remember what happened when you canceled Star Trek :).

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat May 02, 2009 4:25 pm

NBC not announcing its return on May 5th is not the end of the world. With such a huge built in fan base all across the world it could return in one way or another...it could well go into syndication and live on. Its happened before with Baywatch and Viper for example and they went on to be successful, so NBC not green-lighting a season 2 doesn't mean KR is done for...perhaps its potential will be realised fully by someone else who knows how to do the franchise justice. How long this would take is anyones guess but dont think for one minute that NBC's announcement is final by any means. :good:

KITTKARR85
Recruit

Post by KITTKARR85 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Considering NBC didn't barely advertise for the series at all and yet had the ratings it had, I think we may have a possibility of it being renewed. Face it, most shows that run without commercials or publicity go in the dumps and dont even last the whole season, episodes already made aren't shown, unlike KR that had every episode that was shot aired. I'd say despite all the negative publicity and little to none advertising, KR did pretty well.

:skar:

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Sat May 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Ah but KR had the most successful pre-transmission advertising campaign ever! The fact it didn't get the ratings NBC wanted is because people saw the awful vision GST had for the show in those early eps! So I wish people would stop bloody going on about NO advertising! There was tons! But as the series lost so many viewers you can't blame them for not spending millions more on advertising the reboot of the last five, they were hoping for better reviews etc etc and word of mouth but it didn't pick up. NBC is a business. They sank millions into the show, millions more into pre-transmission advertising, it didn't pay off and people are gonna bitch that they didn't spend more millions for the final five eps of a show that's performed as planned? Sorry to be blunt, but stop being blind to the reality - NBC did everything in their power to make it a success, including forcing GST to reboot it mid-season to make it more like the original and just because it's not done well the fans attack them?! With that attitude they'll not WANT to bring it back to such an ungrateful fanbase! I loved it, but it hasn't worked because of GSR, not NBC.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Sat May 02, 2009 6:57 pm

"didn't spend millions more in the final five eps of a show that DIDN'T perform as planned" I meant. And obviously I meant GST in the final sentence LOL... Typing this on an iPod!
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat May 02, 2009 10:38 pm

knightendo77 wrote:Ah but KR had the most successful pre-transmission advertising campaign ever! The fact it didn't get the ratings NBC wanted is because people saw the awful vision GST had for the show in those early eps! So I wish people would stop bloody going on about NO advertising! There was tons! But as the series lost so many viewers you can't blame them for not spending millions more on advertising the reboot of the last five, they were hoping for better reviews etc etc and word of mouth but it didn't pick up. NBC is a business. They sank millions into the show, millions more into pre-transmission advertising, it didn't pay off and people are gonna bitch that they didn't spend more millions for the final five eps of a show that's performed as planned? Sorry to be blunt, but stop being blind to the reality - NBC did everything in their power to make it a success, including forcing GST to reboot it mid-season to make it more like the original and just because it's not done well the fans attack them?! With that attitude they'll not WANT to bring it back to such an ungrateful fanbase! I loved it, but it hasn't worked because of GSR, not NBC.
Agreed. NBC dumped a lot into pre-transmission advertising. They tried 3 creative attempts at the show and it didn't meet their expectations. They decided to cut their losses early and move on. Its pretty clear in the "more in line with the original" reboot episodes that NBC was finished putting more money into the series - less CG, less principal cast, less extras, less stunt work.

But let's be honest. NBC didn't do everything to make it a success, they did everything to make it a success on their network. It pulled respectable ratings and if it had been on CW it would probably be its highest rated show. There's a slim chance it will survive in syndication for a number of reasons - economy, domestic auto survival rate, shift to reality based programming, etc. I doubt it will make it to another network for these factors and also I don't think NBC will part with the tv rights so easily. Despite this version, they know KR is a strong entity and either they won't sell/license the tv rights or they'll attach an astronomical figure to it. One thing is certain the tv version of KR will be in development hell for a very long time now.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sun May 03, 2009 2:34 am

This is causing me to have many headache pills :roll: even though I cant wait to more days, I am forced to this.
For me KR is a big thing, big dream.
Yes, all the facts are against KR, but still alot happened. Ratings did go up, GST missed up the show at the start, KR festival and the big people attraction. and Finally we have FORD. dont they want a show that keeps promoting their products? they are the only auto company that is doing fine, so they sould have a say in this.

I dont know, we have to wait. I am sorry to say it, but we have to wait. 2 more days. lets see what happens.
I will not light up my Cigar untill the fat lady sings Image :kitt:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun May 03, 2009 3:35 am

Right now, I'm bouncing off the walls, impatiently waiting for May 5.... If NBC kills KR, this is my final straw for the network, and I'm not watching NBC anymore.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

ShadowKnight006
Recruit

Post by ShadowKnight006 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:32 pm

May 5 is going to be a big day......period. Why? Several reasons really.

A. Of course important to everyone here, NBC will release the fall lineup.
B. As any geek will tell you, Microsoft should be releasing Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 to the public
C. Cinco de Mayo of course

Yay, I will be at work and then taking a final. :(

:karr:
Looking for TKR!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sun May 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Deadline Hollywood is leaking that KR has not been renewed. What has been renewed are: Chuck, Medium, Law & Order, Parks & Recreation, and Southland.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/n ... law-order/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sun May 03, 2009 7:18 pm

I just looked at that link, there is no mention of KR so how does that constitute leaking anything about the show's fate?

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sun May 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Well, he specifically mentions the returning series that NBC picked up and renewed, KR was not there. So by deduction KR wasn't renewed unless NBC has some bizarre practice of picking up some returning series and not others which would equate to cancellation of those series that they don't pick up anyway.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sun May 03, 2009 7:35 pm

So by that logic they've only renewed 5 shows?

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sun May 03, 2009 8:54 pm

The logic would dictate that 5 old series were renewed that is to say 5 will be returning which he explicitly states, interestingly I think two of them are very new ones that recently started airing. The new series which are additions to the schedule will probably be announced officially by NBC since this source doesn't divulge that information.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sun May 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Well we'll all find out soon enough, being a fan it sure would be a shame if they toss KR08 in the can, but realistically I can't see it getting renewed.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Mon May 04, 2009 3:50 am

southland and parks and rec aren't old series. they were mid-season replacements and have only been on for a few weeks.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drifty
Rookie

Post by Drifty » Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

They also didn't mention anything about Heroes. It's pretty obvious that Heroes will have a fourth season, yet they've not announced it. Also, I think NBC are waiting to see how KR does internationally before they start weilding any axes. Would this make more sense? This way, it could return in a January slot the same way Lost does. Is there any chance this is a possibility?

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Mon May 04, 2009 12:01 pm

We've just created a new thread for the news that's leaking into the press, so I'm going to redirect this discussion over there guys. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?