Knight Rider 2010 car was based on a Thunderbird ?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider 2010 car was based on a Thunderbird ?

Post by Josch Schulz » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Hey Guys

I was getting the movie Knight Rider 2010 today, and its not as that bad as people think about it. I have read that they used Thunderbirds from the 90s for the Knight Rider 2010 car. What kind of Thunderbird from Ford was it. I look for the 1994 Thunderbird, but its hard to find pictures. Mayby somebody can help me with the based car.

Josch
There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Re: Knight Rider 2010 car was based on a Thunderbird ?

Post by Stylez » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:27 pm

It's a custom Ford Mustang body, looks to be 80's Fox Body (I might be wrong). Seems to also look like they made the body longer and needed to put it onto a longer chassis, that would explain why they put it onto a Thunderbird chassis. I guess if you're trying to make a custom model you probably want to start with a Mustang because it's essentially a Mustang rolling around on a Thunderbird chassis. Hope that helps some.

othermoviecars
Volunteer

Post by othermoviecars » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:10 pm

It's a stock 1989 thunderbird 3.8L with a stock chassis- you can see from http://www.jayohrberg.com/Knight_Rider_2010.html they just pulled the trunk off and put a fiberglass plug on it. Then for the actual filming they cut the end of the plug off with a sawzall and mocked up a boxier nose.

--Brian

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:52 pm

:shock: It's not a Mustang? That's all I've ever heard is that it was an old Mustang. That's wild, there was just a thread talking about how KR has seen 3 Mustangs and so on. You learn something new everyday. Holy misconception Batman lol

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 am

so basicly they tried having KR on every possible american car made!!!! Pontiacs, Mustangs, Thunderbirds, Dodge. If we get to have another remake of KR after 20 or so years, I wounder what they will use :lol: Image :kitt:

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:04 am

I remember in the movie they said, that it's 1969 Mustang, it's on 47:04. I quote "1969 Ford Mustang". Perhaps it's only replica made from Thunderbird, not the movie car. Compare:

This replica:

Movie car:

It's different.

It's clearly a Mustang:

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:58 am

Hey Guys

We clearly think about to make a KR 2010 replica. We seen the car in the desert but my wife says the problem is that the car is a hydraulik car and it is so hard to have work on it. I would pay a good price for the car and restorate it a littlebit but if it is then not at the end of the year. We come from North Carolina and the other problem is to ship the car from Los Angeles to our home and fix it there. And what motor we can use. Questions over questions. But its good to get help here. I like the KR2010 mvie alot and its bedder then some people say, to bed that they dont produce a tv series from that. I found this here and it seems to me the KR2010 car has some parts of a Thunderbird Stock Car in it watch:

There's nothing worse than a smart-ass automobile