Don Peake Knight Rider Soundtrack

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

tharpdevenport
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Don Peake Knight Rider Soundtrack

Post by tharpdevenport » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:48 pm

In the new Don Peake interview he states "Knight Rider" Volume 4, 5, & 6 are coming, and a 2CD set of the score for the episode "Goliath".

He also says he did the instrumental re-arranging for the "White Bird" song and instrumental.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:12 pm

:shock: This is beyond my expectations. Great, great, great news!!! :D

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:26 pm

"Junk Yard Dog"

4:20 to 7:20: Michael Sneaks In / Junk Yard Battle / "Michael, help me!"
7:21 to 9:13: Removing K.I.T.T. From the Acid Pool / Nothing Left
9:14 to 9:33: The Original F.L.A.G. Team Works On K.I.T.T.
9:34 to 11:50: Rebuilding K.I.T.T. Montage
11:51 to 12:10: Thanking Bonnie / F.L.A.G. Mansion
12:10 to 13:06: "It's not him"
13:07 to 14:54: Cautious K.I.T.T. (first few second not used)
14:55 to 16:17: Finishing Up K.I.T.T.
16:18 to END: Stopping the Hired Arsonist

MISSING CUES:
-- After Michael asks her to tell him everything she knows about the company. (would have gone after 12:10 in the suite)
-- Short outro piece that begins when he warns the every owner about the "side that cuts" (would have gone after 13:06 in the suite)
-- Score during which Michael drives the newly finished K.I.T. threw the obstacle course.
-- Next piece of score in the episode is also not in the suite: hosrt outro piece after Michael asks them to "Wish me luck" as he goes to Byron.
-- Michael spys on the Bryon business site. (all three these cues would fall after 16:17 in the suite)
-- Outro piece after getting payback and Byron.
-- Final outro piece ending the episode, with some nice soft music briefly before it.

Unfortunately I had to work with it illegally on YouTube, and Part 1 was not up, so I couldn't make a full track list. Coming up next is "White Bird" -- which is up fully and legally on IMDB.com/Hulu.com video.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 pm

"White Bird"
BEG to 0:44: Seeing Stephanie on a Newspaper
0:45 to 1:08: "Do I know you?"
1:10 to 2:50: "When I was Michael Long..." / Going Back to Stephanie
2:55 to 4:55: Comforting Stephanie / "Nobody calls me Stevie anymore..." / Relocating Stephanie to F.L.A.G.
4: 57 to 6:12: Beautiful Sunny Hills / "K.I.T.T., cover us!!!"
6:13 to END: "I wonder if she knew" / Something to Remember Her By

MISSING CUES:
-- First cue in the pisode is not in the suite, which start after the boss tells Stephanie to bring a forgetful client their briefcase.
-- Piece during which Michael remembers Stephanie, and her telling him she loves him. (would come after 0:44 in the suite if included)
-- Brief piece after Michael drops Stephanie off at her apartment (would be after 1:08 in the suite if included)
-- Sad piece where Michael visits an unconcious sTevie in the hospital.
-- Sad piece where Devin and Michael walks and Devin tells hgim about a girl he once loved and that he has a choice to make.
-- Michael searches the boss's office. (all three would be after 6:12 if used in the suite)
-- Piece after Stephanie makes the phoney phone call to her boss / traveling to the mountains / shooting henchmen
-- Michael Visits Stephanie In the sospital

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:59 pm

"Scent of Roses" (no full length video to make the tracklist with)
6:04 to 7:17: Getting the Rat / "Michael, you'll never be able to live with yourswelf!"
7:18 to END: The Scent of Roses Will Linger forever

MISSING CUES:
-- Lengthy dramatic piece where Michael yells the bad guy has 59 minutes unti lthe hutn is back on, then drives to a warehouse to meet them.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 pm

"Halloween Knight" (no full length episode online to make a full tracklist)
4:26 to 5:22: Someone Tries tp Run Over Michael
7:07 to 8:21: Michael and Bonnie Discover a Woman Under a Sheet in the Psycho House / Gas Leak

MISSING CUES:
-- Piece where Michael and Binnie arraive at the Psycho house.
-- Cue where someone watches Michael and Bonnie from a window, leaving the Psycho house while police cars are there.
-- Piece where Norman carries what seesm to be a body in a bag, into the house, and Michael surprises him in there.

And that concludes all the tracklists for all CDs I can make at this time. If anymore episodes get put up on youtube or Hulu.com, I'll finish them.

Chief Oddball
Recruit

Post by Chief Oddball » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:01 am

tharpdevenport wrote:In the new Don Peake interview he states "Knight Rider" Volume 4, 5, & 6 are coming, and a 2CD set of the score for the episode "Goliath".
If anything could lift my spirits after yesterday's miserable death of Pontiac story, it's this. Off to watch the interview now! :)

Great job on the track lists, they're a real boon. My only disappointment with the score for "Junkyard Dog" was the missing bits you mentioned where Michael is driving KITT through the obstacle course, and then the short "hero" outro. Really wanted those. Ah well, I have my DVD audio rips...

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah, I only hope future scores are complete. And if fuure volumes are going to be ridiculously short like Volume 2, then include missing material from previous episode scores.

Chief Oddball
Recruit

Post by Chief Oddball » Fri May 22, 2009 12:56 pm

I finally was able to order my copies of Volume 2 and Volume 3 from Hitchcock Media -- they got here yesterday. WOW, I am really impressed! Despite the fact that Volume 2 is a bit on the short side, the audio quality is amazing. I never expected 26-year-old scores to sound that good. The mastering is even better than Volume 1 (the reverb has been toned down), and Volume 3 has been remastered to add a much wider stereo effect and a little more low end. Superb job.

After studying the scores on Volume 2 and the episodes they go with, I had a clarification to tharpdevenport's track listing for "Hearts of Stone." Specifically:
tharpdevenport wrote: 16. Peddle WAY Too the Metal (1:41) (track 12) (contains score not used, or maybe an alternate ending)
17. Rickey Tries To Get Away / It's Over (1:54) (track 10)
18. UNIDENTIFIED (0:32)
Track 16 (M-303) is actually unused score for the helicopter chase scene. It occurs right after the episode comes back from act break after KITT blasts into the warehouse to pick up Michael. As a test, I played my DVD of the episode and synced up the beginning of CD track 16 immediately when this scene starts. The music is absolutely made for this scene and syncs up perfectly with the events on-screen and the end of the chase.

Why the editors decided not to use this score is beyond me. Perhaps they thought the chase felt more serious without the score behind it. Or perhaps they just forgot, I don't know. There were a lot of quality oddities with the soundtrack in that episode. (For instance, on the DVD, the parking lot chase in the beginning -- M-104 -- is full of dropouts and sounds horrible.)

So, now that we have identified the purpose of track 16 (M-303), we can deduce that the formerly unidentified track 18 (M-504) is the "Pedal to the Metal" outro where KITT races the hot rod right before the end titles.

Thought you all might be interested in this. ;)

If not for the copyright issue, I'd dub M-303 over the helicopter chase scene and throw it up on YouTube. It really is pretty cool.

In the end, though, my hat's off to Don Peake and Ron Hitchcock for putting together a great CD. (And for doing a nice job with Hi-Tech's old bootleg.) I am majorly stoked for Volumes 4 through 6. I hope they don't have any further licensing issues with Universal!

Black Cat
Recruit

Post by Black Cat » Mon May 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks for the info, Chief Oddball! Can't wait to hear volume 2 :D

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:34 am

I made this for all those on the fence who have not bought Volume 2 yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx9IAMttIBI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Suite for Volume 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9im95VWqmQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthi
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthi » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:16 pm

Hi

I was watching knight rider bloopers on the internet the other day and I found an alternative soundtrack for the episode 'The Scent of Roses'. You can see it HERE. It's the very last clip, the tune itself starts at about 3:00. There's completely another tune playing on the KR DVD of this ep. In my opinion, the one on the blooper is WAY better, I wonder why they didn't go with that one and also why is it a blooper. :?

But what I really want to know is, where can I get that song? Is it Don Peake's work? Has it been used on any other episodes or anywhere else in general?

What do you think, which ending is better? I think the one in the blooper has a much more powerful effect. That tune and that episode would have made the perfect ending for the whole series. :roll:

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 am

the song you hear in the blooper is the original soundtrack from rambo the first blood.search in you tube for the song "it's a long road"

Matthi
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:27 am

Wow, thanks so much, that's the one. What a great song, especially the instrumental version. 8)

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:02 am

glad to be of service!! :wink:

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:10 am

tharpdevenport wrote:"Scent of Roses" (no full length video to make the tracklist with)
6:04 to 7:17: Getting the Rat / "Michael, you'll never be able to live with yourswelf!"
7:18 to END: The Scent of Roses Will Linger forever

MISSING CUES:
-- Lengthy dramatic piece where Michael yells the bad guy has 59 minutes unti lthe hutn is back on, then drives to a warehouse to meet them.
Full tracklist now:

0:00 to 1:11: Attempted Murder
1:12 to 2:19: A Table to Love (full "You Must Remember This" piano rendition not included for some reason; the CD just fades it out after a few seconds, but it goes on in the episode for like another 15 or 25 seconds)
2:20 to 3:00: "Yes, I will marry you!" / Killer Model Plane Test Flight
3:01 to 4:04: Video Playback of Michael's Shooting
4:05 to 5:35: Stevie's Shot / Shootout / Stevie Dies
5:36 to 6:03: Vengeful Driving
7:18 to END: The Scent of Roses Will Linger Forever

MISSING CUES:
-- Very first cue of the episode, long dramatic piece entering the compound. Would have been really nice to have this cue.
-- Second cue in the episode, another long dramatic piece while hte men attempt to get what they get, and K.I.T.T. is super persuit moding it. And then Michael gets shot, and the trip to the hospital.
-- A short sad piece after Michael walks out of K.I.T.T.; would come next after "Attempted Murder", had it been included.
-- Very next cue after that; another somber piece.
-- Short amoinous drone (this cue would be next after "A Table to Love"); cuts directly to the "White Bird" song.
-- Next cue, a short tense piece.
-- Next cue, another piano rendition of "You Must Remember This". About 20 or so seconds.
-- Dramatic action piece as the death plane flies toward, and then bombs the cottage.
-- Wedding music, which sounds like it might have been performed by Peake.

There's a lot of good score missing as you can see, enough for another long suite

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:12 pm

"Let It Be Me"
0:00 to 1:19: Michael and Stevie Talk About Her Last Love
1:20 to 2:45: Stevie's Somber Piano Solo (first cue in the episode)
2:46 to 4:48: Michael Retrieves the Tape
4:49 to 5:31:
5:32 to END: White Bird Instrumenal Short

MISSING CUES:
-- Cue as Stevie and Michael go to her place and find it ramsacked. And the subsequent chase music after Michael is attacked.
-- Action music as the breaks on the yello jeep Michael and Stevie are in, fail.

I could not finish it as the full episode is not loaded to YouTube. And no seasons except the first, are on Hulu.com.