GM to kill Pontiac on Monday

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: GM to kill Pontiac on Monday

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm

neps wrote:Maybe people will finally get why KI3T wasn't a Firebird?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck to that, we're gonna hear Kitt should have been a Trans Am talk for many years to come. Some people just don't know how to let go. IF I were running GM pontiac would be exclusively performance cars.
tamatt27 wrote:Pontiac's been dead since August. It just wasn't official until now.
I disagree, I think it's been dead since 2002.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:41 pm

I still don't understand why Pontiac goes and Buick sticks around. Who the hell is buying Buicks?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:26 am

cloudkitt wrote:I still don't understand why Pontiac goes and Buick sticks around. Who the hell is buying Buicks?
The problem is the big engin they got. eveyr one now talks about fuel efficiant engins and how to save more fuel and get more milage. Pontic doesnt have that by definition. and GM didnt invest in having small engins with big power.
Look at the Mitsubishi Lancer for example. it only got a 4 cylender engin, but you can get more than 250 bhp!!!
Its a shame to lose the Pontiacs, but not a suprise Image :kitt:

knightsolo1987
Stranger

THE END OF PONTIAC!!!

Post by knightsolo1987 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:47 am

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT GM CANCELING PONTIAC!!! :evil:

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:59 am

Old farts buy buicks. Buick has been dead since the last GNX rolled off the line. I say kill buick keep pontiac.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:10 pm

I drive a 2004 Lancer,as do a few of my freinds we even have our own Lancer CarClub,I get great gas mileage but not a lot of power.If I want more power Id have to add some aftermarket parts.I kinda wish I got an Evo at that time instead but Im happy with my Lil Lancer,gets me where I need to go.
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:03 pm

What is GM?
What does this mean.
Pontiac is no more.They wil not produce pontiacs anymore?
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Ozikool: GM stands for General Motors, the parent company of Chevrolet, Buick and Pontiac (among many other brands that I won't mention to avoid confusion). But yes, bottom line is Pontiacs will not be built any more, they will sell the remaining stock and then it is over.

Why is Pontiac being ditched in favour of Buick? The answer is China, Buick is selling "well" in China (ironically) and that ultimately decided the fate of Pontiac, that and the fact that they did not have any appealing new products coming that would justify GM to invest in the brand using borrowed bailout cash provided by the American citizens.

Like I said, GM overslept while the market was changing drastically and fast... it could have happened to anybody, just so happens it hit GM and Chrysler hardest... as the saying goes "you snooze, you lose!"
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 pm

I Will miss pontiac, the same one that gave the sleek 1982 pontiac firebird transam

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:51 pm

I really don't like the idea of killing off Pontiac, but GM says it is about survival. They could move the cars to
the surviving brands. They redesign them, give them new nameplates: Chevy gets G8 & Solstice. G8 becomes
Bel-Air, Solstice becomes Sting Ray. G6 goes to both Chevy & Buick. Buick: Riviera. Chevy: ? Drop G5, Vibe,
G3, etc. Buick could take G5, rebadge it as the Skyhawk. Just an idea. Buick is still a fave among seniors,
moms, execs, & some others.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 pm

All things come to an end. Trans Am KITT is going nowhere so we have nothing to worry about.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:26 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:All things come to an end. Trans Am KITT is going nowhere so we have nothing to worry about.
True! True! :D Maybe Ford will let KITT return as a TA! You know, because there is no more Pontiac. But it's still sad to see Pontiac go. :(
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 pm

GM should already be dead. They just recently got a second loan billion dollar loan from the Treassury (ontop of the first multi billion dollar one -- which the Treassury still hasnt' finished giving them!).

And all this to help keep the company from going under, and hopefully reinvent their products and come up with new fuel ifficient, eco friendly cars. And what are they rolling out with? This:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/07/gm-a ... 2-wheeler/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who hear actually think that WON'T bomb and blow millions of tax payer money into the toilet?
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:31 pm

This article was a nice little tribute.
Pontiac drives into
history
The first Pontiac car debuted in 1926

Updated: Monday, 27 Apr 2009, 3:11 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 27 Apr 2009, 3:02 PM EDT

By ANTHONY BARTKEWICZ, special contributor
DETROIT - General Motors' Pontiac brand of performance-oriented vehicles has given the world cars that muscled their way into popular culture, like the GTO -- the subject of a tribute by the Beach Boys -- and the Trans Am, immortalized in the movie "Smokey and the Bandit" and the TV series "Knight Rider."

On Monday, GM announced that it would phase out the Pontiac brand by next year as part of a major restructuring in order to stay afloat.

The first Pontiac car debuted in 1926, though the division's history actually stretches back to 1893 and the Pontiac Buggy Company, a horse-drawn carriage company founded in Pontiac, Mich., according to the history at WeLovePontiacs.com . Starting with the Series 6-27 in 1926, Pontiac produced more than 50 diferent models, including:
http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/money/auto_news ... 09_2349122
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

NN11
Operative

Post by NN11 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:24 pm

it is sad to see pontiac dead.
it is even more sad to think that 21000 people are jobless right now.
pontiac should have stayed. GM should have put the awesome G8 to production and sell some to those oil billionare in the middle east
here's an articles i found on jalopnik
http://jalopnik.com/5229443/the-ten-gre ... e=true&s=x
those lucky pontiac car owners can be happy coz their cars resale value is now incresed

Chief Oddball
Recruit

Post by Chief Oddball » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:53 am

As the owner of a '79 Trans Am "Bandit" special edition with one of the holdover 400 c.i. V8s from '78, a '98 Ram Air Trans Am and an '06 GTO with GM's rare sport appearance package...I think my own garage is a fitting memorial to what once was the hottest brand of automobile in the United States.

You've served me well, Pontiac, every day of my life since November of 1995 when I landed my first: a '93 Grand Prix SE B4U. Occasionally you gave me problems -- and at times it was oh, so hard to love you -- but in the end, every minute was worth it.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 am

I hate to see Pntiacs go and be part of history insted of making History. but as -Solid Snake- said "you snooze, you lose!". GM went for Loooong sleep and this is the result, they cant survive without goverment help.
FORD on the other hand, refused to get any help from the goverment and they are getting their debt lower by the day!!! they are holding their own tell now and know how to steer through out the storm. Image :kitt:

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:37 am

Solid Snake wrote:Ozikool: GM stands for General Motors, the parent company of Chevrolet, Buick and Pontiac (among many other brands that I won't mention to avoid confusion). But yes, bottom line is Pontiacs will not be built any more, they will sell the remaining stock and then it is over.

Why is Pontiac being ditched in favour of Buick? The answer is China, Buick is selling "well" in China (ironically) and that ultimately decided the fate of Pontiac, that and the fact that they did not have any appealing new products coming that would justify GM to invest in the brand using borrowed bailout cash provided by the American citizens.

Like I said, GM overslept while the market was changing drastically and fast... it could have happened to anybody, just so happens it hit GM and Chrysler hardest... as the saying goes "you snooze, you lose!"
Thanks alot.That is very very sad.And i mean VERY :( Its like loosing :kitt:
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

death of a dream

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Death of a Dream....
the bigwig fat cats at GM /MOPAR/FORD ought to be dragged to the street & beaten!

they've literally shot themselves in the: foot, legs, thighs, hips, lower torso....
any takers as to where they should aim next....?

WELL, the T/A & certain Camaro designs just became priceless! like vintage muscle cars b4 them
( ya can include a special truck-& -unique minivan look too- ala Star Trek TNG )

Now the people hould truly speak, in the words of Ronnie James Dio -vocalist for Black Sabbath
"Get ready for the revolution....." - from the Dehumanizer Album
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Re: death of a dream

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Why exactly should they be shot? They were all mis-managed, but Ford is in a slightly better position at the moment than GM and Chrysler.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:17 pm

Not all Pontiacs have had big engines.

My 1987 Pontiac 6000 sedan I used to have had a 2.5L 4-cyl engine.
I know of Firebird base models that also had the 2.5L 4-cyl engines (also known affectionately as the Iron Duke).

I'm just so sad that they will be cutting out Pontiac. From what I read, they aren't gone *yet*. But plan to either by end of year or in a year as part of their restructuring plan.

Maybe it's not too late to get a petition going?? Or find one that is already going on!

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:58 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Not all Pontiacs have had big engines.

My 1987 Pontiac 6000 sedan I used to have had a 2.5L 4-cyl engine.
I know of Firebird base models that also had the 2.5L 4-cyl engines (also known affectionately as the Iron Duke).

I'm just so sad that they will be cutting out Pontiac. From what I read, they aren't gone *yet*. But plan to either by end of year or in a year as part of their restructuring plan.

Maybe it's not too late to get a petition going?? Or find one that is already going on!
Pontiac has officially been axed and will be completely phased out by the end of 2010.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:27 am

Ford is in much better position than GM and chrysler. its the only car company that didnt take any goverment money support, AND managing its debt and getting it lower by the day!!!.
I hope Ford do understand for more marketing and advertising using different methods, and TV is one of them. and this in turn will make them do some hard talks with NBC pushing for season 2 of KR. they used almost every thing the manufacture in the show!!!! Image :kitt:

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:38 am

ANY KIND OF PETITION NEEDS TO BE BACKED BY SHOWING OF REASON, INTENT BUT WITH OUT VIOLENCE PLEASE.

MAYBE A DELUGE OF MAILINGS,EMAILS, FAXES, SURGES IN BUYING OF PONTIAC SPECIFIC PARTS- EVEN FOR DARE I SAY IT ...( Dare, DARE...! ) "OLD CARS" - aka T/A- FIREBIRD,{93-97} Transport,Sunfire GT....Tho I don't belive Pontiac has/had a via SUV -[ Aztec aside- I've Neighbor who swears by it, she owns 1 & loves it. ] & a well thought out plan outlining a saving of GM overall that'd make the other two gulp in disbelief of their own!
( sorry kids ,my brain is running out of ideas here )

Sorry about the varied usage of caps.... finger slipage & the expresso/caffiene buzz has worn off.... Zoiks!

The Mustang is a icon,no doubt as is the GTX,Road Runner,Trans-Am & its stable mate the Camaro & to say that the 82-92 T/A- CAMARO--F Body design is old...well, slap an engineer around & give em a coffee shot...!
*******************************************************************************************************************************
in the words of the Late James Doohan-aka Mr Scott---Star Trek:the Voyage Home
"EXCELSIOR? , Now what would ya want with that bucket of bolts...?"
*******************************************************************************************************************************
This argument is old But I'll stand by it just on design principal...the T/A is vast aero-dynamically better than the current Mustang that is the Knight 3000 ....engine output aside & hollywood special effects depts not withstanding.
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:49 pm

I'll probably be wrong but I'm going to guess that GM isn't really phasing out Pontiac they just say they are. Bye bye Spewick.