GM to kill Pontiac on Monday

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

GM to kill Pontiac on Monday

Post by neps » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Maybe people will finally get why KI3T wasn't a Firebird?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

one_man
Operative

Bad News of Pontiac

Post by one_man » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Just saw this news on CNN and others. It's kind of sad :shock:
(search Pontiac on news.google.com)

GM to pull the plug on Pontiac
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/p ... 2009042414

GM prepares to announce Pontiac closure next week
http://www.autonews.com/article/2009042 ... 49967/1078
-- I am one man who does not exist.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Re: GM to kill Pontiac on Monday

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Very sad news.

I have a feeling Pontiac is just the beginning. While Ford got some good news today, all 3 automakers are still in pretty deep.

:kitt2:

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:44 pm

This was expected and will make the G8 GXP's true collectors items, the last and best performing Pontiac ever.

FASTKNIGHT
Recruit

Post by FASTKNIGHT » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 pm

this will be a sad day in automotive history........ i am a pontiac fan,, :cry: i guess my GTO will be worth a few bucks in the future :?
1989 Pontiac Formula 5.7

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:11 pm

It's a sad day for KR, but would be an even sadder one if KI3T were a Pontiac. I've got all my fingers crossed that Ford will come through for us and get us a season two.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

2K&3KKITT
Operative

Post by 2K&3KKITT » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:18 pm

I can't believe GM is killing Pontiac! I love Pontiacs! It really is a shame but there is nothing we can really do about it. Maybe in future years somebody will bring it back.
SAVE KNIGHT RIDER! Sign this petition! I was #205! One of the first!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:kittspin:
Read my Stories!
http://kileandkasey.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Pontiac's been dead since August. It just wasn't official until now.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 pm

GOD DAMN ECONOMICAL CRISIS!!!!!

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Sad day for Knight Rider.

It's weird how we don't know if GM will even survive.

Anyway, here's Pontiac's wiki if anyone's interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:38 pm

knightofthephoenix wrote:Sad day for Knight Rider.

It's weird how we don't know if GM will even survive.

Anyway, here's Pontiac's wiki if anyone's interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GM will survive...in one way or another. They'll likely file for Ch. 11 bankruptcy protection on June 1 under the gov't oversight. Make no mistake, though. While GM mis-managed Pontiac into the ground, it was the gov't that killed Pontiac.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:52 am

Thats sad.If it wasnt for them we wouldnt have KI2T at all and My uncle was actually goinga by a Pontiac Soltice,I was goinga put some after market parts on it to make it look like Jazz from Transformers the Movie just for fun.

:cry:
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:27 am

Even though it's going to be a sad day in automotive history... and it's making me feel sad too, maybe it was a good choice for NBC to make KI3T a Mustang. But if it weren't for them KR would never be what it is today. I always wanted a TA as a little kid (it was one of the cars I've always wanted) ... and now, I'll most likely never get one. :cry: Nothing can last forever though.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:17 am

Nothing in the Pontiac current line up will be missed. I think their lack luster sales show that. Just about every car is re-badged except for for a select few like the Solstice and they are going to re-badge that as a Chevy along with the other popular Pontiac rides. The Vibe and the Matrix are the same car, that's not going anywhere. The G8 and G6 models (again re-badged Holdens) will be heading over to Chevy... no loss there. They had no real plans of saving the muscle car Firebird or GTO so as far as Pontiac building excitement.... they were dead anyway.
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:04 am

msKEN wrote:Nothing in the Pontiac current line up will be missed. I think their lack luster sales show that. Just about every car is re-badged except for for a select few like the Solstice and they are going to re-badge that as a Chevy along with the other popular Pontiac rides. The Vibe and the Matrix are the same car, that's not going anywhere. The G8 and G6 models (again re-badged Holdens) will be heading over to Chevy... no loss there. They had no real plans of saving the muscle car Firebird or GTO so as far as Pontiac building excitement.... they were dead anyway.
Many, like myself, will miss the opportunity to drive the Solstice coupe and G8 GXP (which appears to have limited availability). The Solstice won't be rebadged as a Chevy. The G8 is a rebadged Holden Commodore but the G6 is on GM's Epsilon platform (the previous generation Malibu's rebadge).

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:57 am

but there is no word about bringing it back in the future. i mean after many years in the future, will they have the will to bring it back???
some very known sports cars makers still here like ferrari and porsche. so will GM think about bringing the Pontiac back to face them??? or will Cadilac do the job insted? this is really confusing :roll: :kitt: Image

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:09 pm

I know they dont make the GTOs anymore but when the newer ones 1st came out a few years ago I thought they were so awesome.So Im goinga miss both the classic GTOs and the modern model they had as well. :cry:
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

Samborghini
Rookie

Post by Samborghini » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Well, as they say 'Nothing last's for ever' shame it also applies to Pontiac though :(
Protecting the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:34 pm

neps wrote:Maybe people will finally get why KI3T wasn't a Firebird?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My point exactly! GM in a way did this to them self, like all car companies have (mainly in the US) they ran the companies not like a company but a cash cow. And they relied to much on the sales of pick up trucks and neglected the increasing demand for *shrugs* economic cars... or at least ones more oriented towards economy.

Ford saw this trend just in time (not a moment to soon) and was able to do a full 180 turn and run the company like a business, now they are churning out cars at a blistering speed that people actually like and are well made... which additionally get great reviews (Mustang, Fusion, Fiesta, new Taurus, not to mention the European cars). GM jumped on the bandwagon to late (not to mention Chrysler) and now they pay the price.

As for Pontiac being revived, don't count on it. Unless the brand gets sold to the Chinese the brand will go away for a long while... just like Oldsmobile has... similar heritage same grim fate.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:59 pm

Sad, but not surprising. By the time I had got my 1987 Pontiac 6000 in June of 2000, Pontiac was already going downhill with lackluster new models. It's sad. And it'll be one year on May 9th that I had to let go of my Pontiac 6000 due to bad rust that made the frame irreparable. :( That car was 21 years and 2 months old when it got towed away to it's final resting place! STILL RUNNING! Outside of the rust, you couldn't kill a 6000!

I'm glad I got a Ford and not another used Pontiac. I'm sure parts prices will go up now for those who own a Pontiac still! I am glad to hear Ford seems to be fairing better than some of the others, but reality is, they too are not doing good. But at least they aren't doing really really REALLY bad either!

I think that a second season of KR is essential. As it can mean Ford can maybe fair even better in these tough times, due to the advertising KI3T provides in and of himself! (I don't say 'it' because I never thought of KITT as an 'it'). :)

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Solid Snake wrote:
My point exactly! GM in a way did this to them self, like all car companies have (mainly in the US) they ran the companies not like a company but a cash cow. And they relied to much on the sales of pick up trucks and neglected the increasing demand for *shrugs* economic cars... or at least ones more oriented towards economy.
GM built trucks and SUV's in the 90's because *gasp* that's what people wanted! The point to any company is to make money. Unfortunatly GM's management had a very poor strategy and ran their business into the ground.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:41 pm

GM built trucks and SUV's in the 90's because *gasp* that's what people wanted! The point to any company is to make money. Unfortunatly GM's management had a very poor strategy and ran their business into the ground.
I have to disagree with you on this. GM built trucks and suv's because that is what people wanted and needed. How many families you see crammed into 4 door sedans nowdays.... Not to many. How many 4 cylinder hondas do you see pulling trailers and boats..... None. Their is still a want and need for those big vehicles which is why all the foreign competition are now building big trucks like GM.

if you live in Michigan like I do. A truck is almost a necesity in the winter time. I can't tell you how many people with little cars get stuck in their own driveway and street.

HIgh gas prices killed Detroit.... I work in the auto indrustry. A small fact that hardly anyone has noticed. Since we have seen a decrease in gas prices truck sales have actually increased over car sales. You will always have a need and a use for trucks. When the housing market jumps again as well as everthing else you will see truck sales soar once again.

As far as the Kitt being a mustang vs. a Pontiac..... GM killed the trans am because you could spend $20,000 more and get a vette with the same performance features as a Trans am. That's the truth!!!

A while back last year I believe Gm actually pulled a profit in the quarter. Rick Wagoner looked like a genius and now here we are dropping Pontiac. Which I believe is a hig mistake. They could have dropped some other brands besides Pointiac which is still one of their best selling divisions.

Waiting for my PONTIAC trans am to jump in value :kitt2:
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

bucksanass1
Volunteer

Post by bucksanass1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:53 pm

The main reason GM shut down production of the f body is because they shut down the main plant that produced them then signed a contract with the union to not produce them again unless the plant reopened

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:56 pm

DevonStyles wrote:
I have to disagree with you on this. GM built trucks and suv's because that is what people wanted and needed. How many families you see crammed into 4 door sedans nowdays.... Not to many. How many 4 cylinder hondas do you see pulling trailers and boats..... None. Their is still a want and need for those big vehicles which is why all the foreign competition are now building big trucks like GM.

if you live in Michigan like I do. A truck is almost a necesity in the winter time. I can't tell you how many people with little cars get stuck in their own driveway and street.

HIgh gas prices killed Detroit.... I work in the auto indrustry. A small fact that hardly anyone has noticed. Since we have seen a decrease in gas prices truck sales have actually increased over car sales. You will always have a need and a use for trucks. When the housing market jumps again as well as everthing else you will see truck sales soar once again.

As far as the Kitt being a mustang vs. a Pontiac..... GM killed the trans am because you could spend $20,000 more and get a vette with the same performance features as a Trans am. That's the truth!!!

A while back last year I believe Gm actually pulled a profit in the quarter. Rick Wagoner looked like a genius and now here we are dropping Pontiac. Which I believe is a hig mistake. They could have dropped some other brands besides Pointiac which is still one of their best selling divisions.

Waiting for my PONTIAC trans am to jump in value :kitt2:
The point of my post was that GM built trucks and SUV's because people wanted them. I live in Texas and KNOW there will always be a market for trucks. GM killed the Trans Am because the plant was closing down. I work in the auto industry too and know GM's situation through and through ( well, as much as I can know being on the outside of GM's Board Room). GM hasn't posted a profit in North America (the biggest car market) in many years. Pontiac hasn't been a big retail seller for years, as more than half of their sales are to fleets such as rental car lots.
I agree that dumping Pontiac is a mistake, however I'm not going to hold on to false hopes and remain happy with my Mustang KI3T. 8)

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:18 pm

tamatt27 wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:
You just said it yourself the 90's, and i will not deny that now there is no demand for trucks or Suv's (far from it), the problem is GM (and Ford and Chrysler) almost entirely relied on the sale of those trucks for to long. Ford recognised the shift and change in the market just in time (really only just), which now gives them a CHANCE to recover. The two other companies will not be able to... Chrysler is as good as dead (sorry to say it so hard) and GM is on life support...

And yes for the record, Pontiac last year was the third best selling GM brand... so it really is a massive blow to the giant that is GM to have to admit that Pontiac is no more... and to the people saying why didn't they kill the other brands off... they did actually, Hummer is being sold except nobody is really interested in buying it at the price GM wants. Saab is being cut off, Opel is also let loose, Buick is rumoured to be sold to one of the Chinese GM partners... fact is... The general is down and is losing the fight.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!