An Interesting Development

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

An Interesting Development

Post by Shapeshifter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:34 am

I had occasion to spend some time with one of KR's producers and heard some interesting tidbits.

The first is, the DVD is definitely happening, they were working on car crash footage for the gag reel. It should be out within the next month or two, and will include the 2-hour. No word on Blu-Ray, but probably not.

The second is very interesting, and could be significant. NBC has paid Justin Breunning a considerable sum of money to retain his services. They have apparently NOT done this for other cast members, so it could mean that they have something else in mind for him, like a different show. Or, they are thinking of doing KR in a different way. Nothing else has been done in terms of pre-production, so it's hard to know what this means. But, it's the first positive news I've heard in some time.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: An Interesting Development

Post by Stylez » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 am

Well that's really good news, hopefully. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, it's great having you around here Shapeshifter! :good:

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:57 am

It's not unsual. And if true, I wouldn't, as you haven't, take it that it involves Knight Rider.

It happens with writers and producers also. Ask Tim Minear (Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls, Drive, Dollhouse). He has one such contract with Fox lasting so many years. Yet nearly ALL his shows get cancelled. In fact all of them have, by memory.

It's easy to spot talent in the individual, and even if the show is very good, one thing matters: ratings! Wanting to keep someone who is good at their job is part and parcel with the industry.

Knight Rider has a lot going against it tho. It was a critical failure (rarely was there ever a good review, from non-Knight Rider sites). It's viewing figures dipped to lousy, and sprung back to mediocre.

Lack of promotion, inconsistent first few episodes, and generally bad press might factor in, but it doesn't look good. Many have said Knight Rider is cancelled for months.

Unless I hear officially Bruening has been signed for more Knight Rider, I won't believe he is. However, out of the cast he is the only inexpendable player to the mythology, should it continue. Even Kilmer could be replaced.

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:33 pm

LeslieGruffod wrote:Knight Rider has a lot going against it tho. It was a critical failure (rarely was there ever a good review, from non-Knight Rider sites). It's viewing figures dipped to lousy, and sprung back to mediocre.

Lack of promotion, inconsistent first few episodes, and generally bad press might factor in, but it doesn't look good. Many have said Knight Rider is cancelled for months.

Unless I hear officially Bruening has been signed for more Knight Rider, I won't believe he is. However, out of the cast he is the only inexpendable player to the mythology, should it continue. Even Kilmer could be replaced.
Although I liked Kilmer, I do wish Will Arnett would be able to take over as KI3T for a possible season 2.
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:05 pm

Interesting indeed... Though if the first season is going to be out so soon I dunno if that's a good sign or not since if the show was coming back I'd expected it to be released somewhere in mid-late summer just in time for the fall season. Then again, they could want to get it out of the way if they might possibly again, totally revamp things. The Justin thing is quite interesting, even if it isn't for Knight Rider, but if it is I hope he wouldn't be the only one to return out of the four remaining cast, who for the record seem like a totally cool bunch. I'm still going to ramble about a possible second season and another possible cast reduction that could be done.

I wouldn't be too broken up (though it'd suck for consistency sake) about Kilmer not returning, a voice change can be explained away easily. I think I'd miss Deanna but unfortunately Smith and Paul's characters are still too interchangeable and over lap so I could see one or both of them not being needed since for the most part their tasks could be replaced by KITT due to (and I think correct) thinking of a super computer on wheels with the most advanced AI ever created and they still need someone else doing computer stuff? Plus Sarah could still fill a Bonnie like role of taking care of KITT as well as doing occasional field stuff. Comic relief aside, there's not much of a role that they could fill that couldn't be filled by KITT, Sarah and Mike. Who knows, somewhere down the line one or both of them could return when things need to be freshened up a bit. I think three regular cast members/characters (possibly four) would make for maybe one of the smallest cast rosters on TV these days? Are there any TV shows on now that have casts that small?

Okay, I'm really going off track and rambling now, I'll shut up.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

DarylKnight
Rookie

Post by DarylKnight » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Actually, Kilmer was the biggest sign of all! They penned him to 5 years when he took it from Arnett for the BDP.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:28 pm

The thing about Kilmer is, he can ALWAYS come in and do his part, (no matter what else he's doing) so the fact that they haven't nailed him down doesn't mean anything. After all, they picked him to do the pilot about a month before it aired. Not including Deanna at this point is a bit of a head-scratcher, but it may not mean anything, either...who knows what they have in mind.

BTW, last Sunday evening I'm sitting in a dusty bar in the town of La Playita, Mexico, and what comes on the TV? KR08. With Spanish subtitles. It was the episode, ironically, that was supposed to be set in Mexico. Knight of the Iguana. The Mexican patrons at the bar seemed glued to it.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Great news, but I demand a blu ray release too!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:16 pm

DarylKnight wrote:Actually, Kilmer was the biggest sign of all! They penned him to 5 years when he took it from Arnett for the BDP.
That's kid of interesting- I mean wouldn't there be a conflict with his possible run for Governor?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:59 pm

i don't think he'd ever get elected.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:55 pm

No blu ray release? That, in itself, is interesting. Even the flopping Sarah Connor Chronicles went Blu Ray. Plus they are showing it in HD here in the UK so it doesn't make much sense.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Wow, that's all great news! Would they ever keep an actor just to promote a show in other countries? Or is this a definite sign hes going to make some kind of show with them. If they do bring it back I hope Andron is still available to write.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:07 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I wouldn't be too broken up (though it'd suck for consistency sake) about Kilmer not returning, a voice change can be explained away easily. I think I'd miss Deanna but unfortunately Smith and Paul's characters are still too interchangeable and over lap so I could see one or both of them not being needed since for the most part their tasks could be replaced by KITT due to (and I think correct) thinking of a super computer on wheels with the most advanced AI ever created and they still need someone else doing computer stuff?
There were too many instances of the wonder twins coming up with the final solution that KI3T should have easily figured out. I'll give you that this version of KI3T was still "learning", so perhaps it just wasn't able to "learn" as fast as KI2T, since KI2T was able to come up with the answer a whole lot quicker.

Personally, I've grown to like Val Kilmer as KI3T. I really don't want to have a glib Gob barking back at Mike. :P
PHOENIXZERO wrote:Plus Sarah could still fill a Bonnie like role of taking care of KITT as well as doing occasional field stuff.
I dunno about this one, I mean it's like taking a infielder off the field, making them the pitcher, and then putting them back into the infield. I think if we see a 2nd season, Sarah should be a stronger leader, the writers could easily say XX amt of months have past since the whole KARR/Knight Industries thing happened, etc...to distance herself from the computer tech we all thought she was becoming in the first 13 eps.
PHOENIXZERO wrote:Comic relief aside, there's not much of a role that they could fill that couldn't be filled by KITT, Sarah and Mike. Who knows, somewhere down the line one or both of them could return when things need to be freshened up a bit. I think three regular cast members/characters (possibly four) would make for maybe one of the smallest cast rosters on TV these days? Are there any TV shows on now that have casts that small?
I think that the location issues, as well as special guest stars would make up the rest of the $$ that would be offset if the cast was cut down. Once again, if there is a 2nd season, make Billy the semi-driver, have him drive the big rig, have a laptop/touch windshield so he can continue to help the team out, etc in the cab, so he's justified (you could still have him do the sidekick thing for Mike, playing different parts). Have Zoe do the tech work ala Bon Bon, and Sarah the FLAG business side of things, ala Devon.

I think you'll see Justin go down the same road that Nathan Fillion has, or Kevin McKidd. KR will go down as his stepping stone to bigger and better (written) things. I would love for Deanna and Smith to have the same chances, sooner than later. And Paul, his star keeps rising.

Please know that I would really like a 2nd season to come along, but just don't see it so. Too many factors have doomed this inKARRnation (evil one of a kind pun), and it'd be a very dark horse to get back in the saddle.

BTW, should we get memorial t-shirts? let me know what you think AFTER 5/5/09. I'd love to be wrong. :(
Attachments
Back t-shirt
Back t-shirt
back t-shirt.JPG (23.6 KiB) Viewed 58481 times
Front t-shirt
Front t-shirt
Front T-Shirt.JPG (20.4 KiB) Viewed 58473 times

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 am

maybe they are going to bring kr08 back with just justin for a second season with a lot of changes to reduce the cost of the show to make it more profitable with the ratings they are getting, maybe they are going to introduce the 2010 mustang and use it to promote it for ford, hopefully if it does come back they will make some changes to the car to make it look better!
in glen larson we trust.

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:16 am

LOL that shirt is awesome :good:
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

NN11
Operative

Post by NN11 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 am

maybe they want the "one man can make a difference" slogan
to make more sense for kr08 season 2

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:43 pm

i love billy, i would hope they keep him for the second season.
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."

MikeLutton
Operative

Post by MikeLutton » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:27 pm

i want david hassolhoff and william daniels back mabye R c 3 now that be perfect team right there if few people leave always back up i can dream cant i

DLAspider
Rookie

Post by DLAspider » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 pm

MikeLutton wrote:i want david hassolhoff and william daniels back mabye R c 3 now that be perfect team right there if few people leave always back up i can dream cant i
I don't understand why, and I'm not just picking on you, MikeLutton, people want the original KITT with the Hoff back. Everyone says thats how to make a new KR series work. Why not just go to Amazon.com and get the original series and watch that. This is 2009, the new series is about a different KITT and a different Micheal Knight. Even if you signed up the TOS crew and dusted off KI2T it wouldn't be as good as we all may remember. I'm starting to, in my mind, lump together the people who want the original KITT and the Hoff back along with the KR08 haters who say KITT as a mustang is stupid and that the new series is garbage(their words)...Whew.. rant over..

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm

DLAspider wrote:
MikeLutton wrote:i want david hassolhoff and william daniels back mabye R c 3 now that be perfect team right there if few people leave always back up i can dream cant i
I don't understand why, and I'm not just picking on you, MikeLutton, people want the original KITT with the Hoff back. Everyone says thats how to make a new KR series work. Why not just go to Amazon.com and get the original series and watch that. This is 2009, the new series is about a different KITT and a different Micheal Knight. Even if you signed up the TOS crew and dusted off KI2T it wouldn't be as good as we all may remember. I'm starting to, in my mind, lump together the people who want the original KITT and the Hoff back along with the KR08 haters who say KITT as a mustang is stupid and that the new series is garbage(their words)...Whew.. rant over..
ah.. but I think I caught a hint of sarcasm in MikeL's post. :wink:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

DLAspider
Rookie

Post by DLAspider » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:10 pm

I don't see any sarcasm at all...please explain.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:32 pm

people want the hoff back.. i want the hoff back... but in the sort of devon miles type role.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:20 pm

I'd actually be upset if they replaced Val Kilmer. I've really gotten to like his voice in this K.I.T.T. Though I wouldn't think he’d continue if he ran for NM governor.

I think the only thing certain at this point it's good news for Justin Bruening. While I still have a feeling the show's fate was decided months ago, it is interesting that the two people who get larger salaries and couldn’t be replaced seem to be taken care of.

I also wanted David to appear again. Yeah it’s a new show, but most fans want to see what Michael Knight’s been up to. David’s always liked Knight Rider, he has always wanted to be involved, and a guest appearance or two would have gotten lots of attention. One of GST’s dumbest moves with the show IMHO.

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 pm

well, not too much longer and we'll no regardless... either way, its nice to see that NBC would still take care of Justin, and give him a shot at something else.
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

DLAspider
Rookie

Post by DLAspider » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:08 pm

knightofthephoenix wrote: I also wanted David to appear again. Yeah it’s a new show, but most fans want to see what Michael Knight’s been up to. David’s always liked Knight Rider, he has always wanted to be involved, and a guest appearance or two would have gotten lots of attention.
I'd like to see him return as well, in a Devon-type role or with him and KI2t assisting the new Mike and KI3T. My rant was referring to the idea of basically making a fifth season of TOS, no new Mike, No KI3T, no new cast members.