R.O.V.E.R Introduce Yourself

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightR.O.V.E.R
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

R.O.V.E.R Introduce Yourself

Post by KnightR.O.V.E.R » Mon May 19, 2003 5:05 am

8)
Hello this is the Voice of The Knight Industries Reconnaissance ObserVation and Evacuation Robot's Central Processor.
KnightR.O.V.E.R if you Prefer.

That's Enough R.O.V.E.R. My Name is Stephen Bailey I'm ROVER's Driver.
The Foundation Has loaned us to The Witness Protection Program. Greetings and Here's to many Great Discussions.

KnightR.O.V.E.R
Volunteer

The Assignment

Post by KnightR.O.V.E.R » Mon May 19, 2003 4:00 pm

8) R.O.V.E.R: " Steve, Whitiker is calling. "

"Ooh. great," I thought. "Nothing like a retentive government bureaucrat to put a cap on already great day." You talk to him ROVER, I'm not in any mood to play nice with him. Whitiker the head of the FBI's
Witness Protection Program has been forced to turn to The Foundation for help (over his objections). Apparently theres a high level leak in the Program, resulting in the death or disappearance of several Arab former terrorists and Their FBI handlers. I (over my objections) have been assigned to personally handle the last witness Ahmed Mohhamod Shered and find the Mole in WitSec.

R.O.V.E.R. We are on.

"Let's move" I said. turning back to the Gray/Black Trans-Am 2002 with the Icy Blue Scanner

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon May 19, 2003 4:08 pm

Welcome to the board.

So are you creating a fan fiction or something, and giving us a heads up about it?

KI

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon May 19, 2003 11:18 pm

All the while, Tracy, Olivia and Linda observed Stephen and R.O.V.E.R. from a distant hill through binoculars.

Linda: "We have the mark sighted, boss. Awaiting further orders."

A male voice came through the head set in a soft, yet clear tone. "That's good, ladies. For now, just make sure that you aren't spotted by Mr. Stephen. The Firm only needs to know his current actions...for now."

Linda: "Got'cha, boss. Over and out."

===

Welcome to the KRO board. We're a friendly bunch and I hope your chatting experience here will be a long and happy one.

KnightR.O.V.E.R
Volunteer

Here we go

Post by KnightR.O.V.E.R » Wed May 21, 2003 7:46 am

8) R.O.V.E.R's Engine starts and he turns and head's toward the highway

"ROVER" Stephen said," Run through the witness files again, there must be some link I missed

R.O.V.E.R.: Steve we're being followed. Shouldn't we lose them.

Stephen said, "Not yet' I think it's time to deploy S.I.D-X and try April's modifications.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Wed May 21, 2003 12:52 pm

Just a question here but shouldn't fan fic's be just a posted link or something were we have to go read it there? Seems a waist to take up board space reading this in threads? Again, just wondering?
Brian - Knightdriver.com

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Wed May 21, 2003 7:08 pm

i agree...

i'm still weirded out by this knight rover guy..

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Thu May 22, 2003 12:02 am

What's up, R.O.V.E.R? Welcome to the board! Pull up an easy chair and sit a spell.

Darknight

KnightR.O.V.E.R
Volunteer

Just A Little Fun

Post by KnightR.O.V.E.R » Fri May 23, 2003 12:14 am

8) I'm just having a little fun with a story guys. If anyone wants to step in round robin style feel free. Now here's a poll question for you.

Star Trek and Pocket Books hold a Fan Fiction contest every year called Strange New Worlds. How would you feel about a Knight Rider Fan Fic Contest?

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri May 23, 2003 12:24 am

KnightImmortal actually maintains (or maintained...I guess events like that are currently in a holding patern. :( ) a rather large database site called The Edwards that she runs on a yearly basis. It's generally a place where everyone has a vote on their favorite KR Fan Fic's in many categories.

I don't quite remember the (old?) URL off hand. Might have been http://www.edwards.8m.com

KnightR.O.V.E.R
Volunteer

Fan Fic Contest

Post by KnightR.O.V.E.R » Fri May 23, 2003 12:37 am

8) What I was thinking was SNWs is an anthlogy contest with 1st place getting I believe $1,000 plus rate per word. They've just published Vol. 6 and a remarkable amount of top 5 end up going professional.

an Anthlogy of KR Fan Fic.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri May 23, 2003 12:47 am

Let me step in just for a moment here.

The Edwards are at http://www.edwards.krfoundation.com (shameless plug, but a slight correction from above)

Next, the published anthologies that come from Star Trek are sponsored and cleared with Paramount Studios. To do the same thing for KR 1) we would have to have money. 2) we would have to have Universal's permission. 3) We would have to have a publisher who was willing.

KI

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri May 23, 2003 1:12 am

and once again, money. :P

KITT
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightR.O.V.E.R
Volunteer

Fan Fic

Post by KnightR.O.V.E.R » Fri May 23, 2003 1:13 am

8) Well This discussion board is a good start. Maybe someone will see this topic and bring it up on other KnightSites. Thats how the SNWs got started, Fans started writing in wanting to see their stories printed. We can have a lot of weight. Nobody say we don't have enough storylines, We have Pre-series Micheal Long, Devon, Wilton, Garthe, KARR, KITT,and then post series, not to mention KR2000 and TKR. I not saying it wouldn't be work, But I do think it's worth at least considering.

"If one man can make a difference, think about what a bunch of KR fans can do."

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Fri May 23, 2003 2:35 am

Geez, you have to wonder how many pages it would take (and how many volumes) if every KR fanfic ever was published in book format.

WhiteBird
Rookie

ugh.........

Post by WhiteBird » Fri May 23, 2003 3:11 am

Before this goes too far, a fellow fan fic writer, namely me, wants to step in.
I just wanna back up KI and remind you guys what happened to the Buffy fanfic writers. They got phased out by the show's creators and produces and they were just existing, they weren't trying to get money from their stories they wanted to put together an anthology, and get some noteriety. The Buffy people are back, but they don't draw so much attention to themselves.

All the fanfic writers in the KR community try to keep ourselves as low key as possible for a good reason, pssst........we don't wanna get kicked off the net.
And since, I'm almost a paralegal, I know that KI has all here legalities in order concerning her fan fics, since she has been doing this for quite awhile.

Anywho, thanks for the consideration.
White Bird

KnightR.O.V.E.R
Volunteer

I'm not suggesting ....

Post by KnightR.O.V.E.R » Fri May 23, 2003 3:57 am

8) that we violate the copyrights. I just suggesting that with fan backing Universal or Glen Larson or whomever holds publishing rights, might consider it. especaily since there is a major motion picture and talk about a New KR TV Series.

1. It would expose people to KR that haven't seen the show.
2. It could be considered as a Tie-In for The Movie.
3. It Could be used to show support for a new KR TV series
4. It could be used to show support for a new KR book series.

That's why I think whomever holds the publishing rights would show some interest.

P.S. Remember back in the 70's it hadn't been for Trek fans, there would be no Star Trek today. Should I consider posting this as a new topic?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri May 23, 2003 4:21 am

Let me remind you, if you don't know already, that 90% of the KR fan fiction out there is non canonical. Meaning that there are added characters, and drastically changed storylines.

I checked with Universal. They said no.

I had somebody check with Larson. He said only certain ones could go through, but would have to be approved first, and still get through Universal.

It wouldn't be a tie-in for the movie, because tie-ins for movies are associated with the movies.

It wouldn't be showing support for a new TV series, because 90% of the fic could be a completely different TV series.

There is all kinds of fan backing, but we still keep a very low profile, because we know the fan fiction rules.

A TV show is drastically different from fan fiction. That was to put a copyrighted item back up on its station, and guided by its creator. Fan fiction isn't even in the same realm.

I don't mean to discourage you. But, even though I am departing this community, it doesn't mean that I don't know the Knight Rider Fan Fiction Community like the back of my hands. A few of our stories have made it into fanzines, but remain under the radar. I run the Edwards every year, and have struggled to find ways to encourage writers more and more, but find that copyrights and good intentions don't mix. The only reason why anybody would show interest, is if you paid them for it.

Sorry, but that is the cold, hard, truth about fan ficdom. Why don't you write somemore, put it up on a website, and join in the ficdom, we may try to stay under the radar, but we are good about other things.

KI