Original KITT Cars 1982-1986

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sean1242
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Original KITT Cars 1982-1986

Post by Sean1242 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:47 am

:kitt: I know this question been asked Dozens of times so don’t get mad but I am new to the group but does anyone
know what happen to the Original KITT Cars does Universal studios still have any on its backlot what happen to the 1st KITT The one built for the pilot what happen to the one that was once displayed at Universal studios Hollywood
I know some of the later models were sold off George barris has the computer car from season 3-4 and at one time had the SPM car. but does anyone know what happed to the 1st one and does Universal still have any????????????????
:kitt: :dash:

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Re: Original KITT Cars 1982-1986

Post by Vegasmike » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Sean, check out this link.. AJ has one of THE original KITT's. This was video shot at the Las Vegas Knight Rider Fest.
http://knightrideronline.com/videos/2529.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OKC KNIGHT
Operative

Post by OKC KNIGHT » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Good question and I honestly don't think it's documented as well as it should be. :?

I know one is in a Indiana museum,Another in a museum in the UK and AJ has one,Mark Scarvini had one.And the one Micheal Jackson owned back in the 80's that was auctioned of in the San Francisco area a few years ago and ended up in a dealer in the bay area for sale at $150,000 :shock:.No one knew about that one until I stumbled upon it on one of my nationwide car and part "Scans" lol :twisted: And after my discovery all hell broke loose on that car :lol: 8)

And the one that was used at the gumball 3000 last summer 8) that Hassellholf left in a Austrian garage for 20 years or something after his European "night rocker" tour ?? :shock:

And the N'Sync clown "Joey whatever" DOE'S NOT have an original screen car,It's a just a replica.Boy did he get played :lol: ,I guess to much hair product in his head :P :lol:

Dave
Specializing in 1982-1992 Firebird/Trans Am Parts since 2002 and the ONLY seller of High Quality KITT Taillight blackouts

My contact Dmcman108@yahoo.com

transam82
Rookie

Post by transam82 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Don't forget about the Knight Rider car on Universal Studios backlot, the neglected one, which was used as a display car, this car was recently parted out and crushed. That was sad :(

I remember going with my brother on the Universal Studios Tram tour (Mid to late 1990's), we went by and there was KITT parked next to the A Team Van which also looked in sorry shape. My Brother tried to use his Media Credentials to go see the KITT car but wasn't able to because they said it was a weekend and media relations person wasn't there.

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 pm

I have what may be considered an odd question, and may have been discussed before on here, but I haven't found it. In the Pilot episode, Knight of the Phoenix, in a few shots there appears to be a different version of KITT than the one we all know and love. The main difference on it is they didn't appear to have built the extension on the nose and scanner seems to be just in the stock front end of a trans-am. Does anyone know anything about this design. It appears that it takes on the design we know and love when Michael used KITT in the demolition race. Thanks

Dave

KittCARR
Recruit

Post by KittCARR » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:35 pm

That car was put together just to show the executives at Universal a 15-20 preview of what the show would consist of.

Once the show was picked up, Michael Scheffe designed the nose most people are familiar with. The "test nose" was actually the stock nose with the front grilles covered, and an extended hood.

Joey.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3236658" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slade
FLAG Assistant

Post by Slade » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:09 am

transam82 wrote:Don't forget about the Knight Rider car on Universal Studios backlot, the neglected one, which was used as a display car, this car was recently parted out and crushed. That was sad :(

I remember going with my brother on the Universal Studios Tram tour (Mid to late 1990's), we went by and there was KITT parked next to the A Team Van which also looked in sorry shape. My Brother tried to use his Media Credentials to go see the KITT car but wasn't able to because they said it was a weekend and media relations person wasn't there.
I saw it once before like late 80s hoping to see it again but alas I was too late and found out it was gone :(
"See ladies,what happens in Vegas,stays in...KITT"
"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing"

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:22 am

and there is no word fron Universal where they took it? or where they have kept it? this is original 8)
Image :kitt:

transam82
Rookie

Post by transam82 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Another question that would be interesting to know is, where is? or what happened to the original KITT car used in the opening of the Knight Rider 2000 TV movie? I always loved that opening.

acor
Volunteer

Post by acor » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 pm

transam82 wrote:Another question that would be interesting to know is, where is? or what happened to the original KITT car used in the opening of the Knight Rider 2000 TV movie? I always loved that opening.
As far as I know that car is the one from the original opening on KR:TOS. They used 'unused' footage from different angles. So, you fell in love with a 'remix' of the original opening. :) :kittspin:

transam82
Rookie

Post by transam82 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Too bad NBC or Universal doesn't release the unused footage on DVD, that was a really cool angle.

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:45 am

I do remember seeing a video on youtube saying that this KITT is not a replica,it is being sold by universal studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 pm

I wonder if they just sanded and repainted Michael Long's gold trim from the pilot KITT. Or if they used a completely different car?
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:46 am

MR2NR wrote:I wonder if they just sanded and repainted Michael Long's gold trim from the pilot KITT. Or if they used a completely different car?

Sounds like a question for Victor Kros..Victor???
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:47 am

MR2NR wrote:I wonder if they just sanded and repainted Michael Long's gold trim from the pilot KITT. Or if they used a completely different car?
My guess is that Michael Long's stock Trans Am is the very first produced 1982½ Trans Am off Pontiac's assembly line, and one of the first two that were donated to Glen for the series. I'd say the all black Hero Car was the second of the two.

I'm always skeptical when people claim "one of the original cars." These so-called original cars would have to have had so many touch-ups and swapped parts that half of the cars themselves are mostly refurbished components. It would be kind of hard to tell the difference anymore.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: