Locations ?

This forum contains discussions about the locations used for the 1982 series.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro, Joe Huth

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Locations ?

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:44 am

KITT wrote:the other shots of comtron don't seem to have a stripe though. maybe they just stuck the comtron sign there for the shot.

We can see a few things here. 1) The unique Comtron building on the left; 2) Space between the two buildings and/or a courtyard which probably indicates that there are at least TWO buildings and not one L shaped structure; and 3) The building on the right with the horizontal stripe near the top of the building which looks the same as the building in the background of the guard shack shot.

DRMR
Stranger

Post by DRMR » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Here's one that's pretty high on my wish list, but I haven't had any luck finding it...the museum from "Chariot of Gold":

The only clue comes in the last picture above. A sign in the background:

Looks like it says "Damark Industries Inc."

Anyone?

Joe
I have the answer to your wish list. The building is located at 20525 Nordhoff St. Chatsworth, CA 91311. It's on the corner of Mason Ave. and Nordhoff St. They have actually filmed "24" there also. I work around the corner from this building and pass it everyday.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:48 pm

DRMR wrote:
Joe Huth wrote:Here's one that's pretty high on my wish list, but I haven't had any luck finding it...the museum from "Chariot of Gold":

The only clue comes in the last picture above. A sign in the background:

Looks like it says "Damark Industries Inc."

Anyone?

Joe
I have the answer to your wish list. The building is located at 20525 Nordhoff St. Chatsworth, CA 91311. It's on the corner of Mason Ave. and Nordhoff St. They have actually filmed "24" there also. I work around the corner from this building and pass it everyday.
Freaking sweet. I was hoping this place hadn't seen the wrecking ball.

Thanks for posting and great find!

knight-online
Recruit

Post by knight-online » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi,

I collected the Knight Rider Locations and put it together in an Google Map. You can see it on my German Knight Rider Site:

http://www.knight-online.info/80er_seri ... horte.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Author of the German book "Das Knight Rider Buch" (licensed by NBC Universal, ISBN 978-3-8370-2220-9)
http://www.das-knight-rider-buch.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

German Fansite:
http://www.knight-online.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:46 pm

so anyone know my location yet? :P
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:01 am

HEY GUYS AND GIRLS!!TAKE A LOOK AT THIS VIDEO A FAN MADE FOR THE FIRST RAMBO MOVIE!!CAN ANYONE HERE MAKE THE SAME FOR KNIGHT RIDER!!WATCH ALL VIDEO IT IS MORE THAN EXCELLENT THE WAY HE COMPAIRS THE LOCATION BACK IN THE DAYS AND NOWDAYS!!ENJOY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7pMuak ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Handzus' Stupid Fro wrote:Possibly something more for the Comtron building(s). In the image below the ladies are seen walking from Comtron to the House of the Rising Sun. Through research, I don't believe the House of the Rising Sun is actually across the street from Comtron. However, the scene below shows a guard shack and gate, and behind it, the top of a building. Several feet below the top of the building you can see a thin horizontal stripe. This same stripe can be seen a little later in the episode when filming at Comtron. Just something more to go on - perhaps the guard shack surroundings will jog someone's memory, or maybe the mountains in the background can help us zero in on a certain region.
Let me say that, looking at the other screenshots now, I do NOT think I found the comtron building in my earlier post. I found something that I think could be similar, but couldn't get a good enough view of it on googlemaps (perhaps someone with vitrual earth could look at it?).

I think you're definately right about it being two buildings. I just reviewed the video from KOTP2 and saw a distinct separation between the buildings.

As to the red guard gate, it doesn't fit the front of the building. Plus, if it IS in Santa Clarita, chances are that back then (like 1982) there were not as many buildings nearby. The entire area has been quite heavily developed since then. It may at one time have been a side entrance.

Also, about the tow truck and the golf course, it appeared to me that the golf course was near the site where KITT was being towed FROM (either the Sheriff's office or the House of the Rising Sun), which is where Michael was arrested. The next scene is of the tow truck entering the Comtron parking lot.

One other thing that I noted, however, is that the building is on a bit of a hilll (at least when they filmed it) - you can tell from the first shot of the front of the building, and also when the tow truck drive in, the driveway is graded up somewhat (not a lot, but enough to notice).

I hope Glen Larson would remember the location.
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:10 pm

stelios_z28 wrote:HEY GUYS AND GIRLS!!TAKE A LOOK AT THIS VIDEO A FAN MADE FOR THE FIRST RAMBO MOVIE!!CAN ANYONE HERE MAKE THE SAME FOR KNIGHT RIDER!!WATCH ALL VIDEO IT IS MORE THAN EXCELLENT THE WAY HE COMPAIRS THE LOCATION BACK IN THE DAYS AND NOWDAYS!!ENJOY...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7pMuak ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's great! I made a video something like this for the VIP party at the Knight Rider Festival. His After Effects skills are a tad better than mine but I was going for the same kind of effect. Thanks for the inspiration.

I was just watching Vooodo Knight. Is that office building LA center studios? The same location as Exit Light, Enter Knight? It sure felt like it but I can't be sure with out a more careful examination.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:00 am

i hope you upload this video of yours on youtube so we can see it!!thanks a lot sue!!keep it up girl!!

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Sue wrote:
stelios_z28 wrote:HEY GUYS AND GIRLS!!TAKE A LOOK AT THIS VIDEO A FAN MADE FOR THE FIRST RAMBO MOVIE!!CAN ANYONE HERE MAKE THE SAME FOR KNIGHT RIDER!!WATCH ALL VIDEO IT IS MORE THAN EXCELLENT THE WAY HE COMPAIRS THE LOCATION BACK IN THE DAYS AND NOWDAYS!!ENJOY...

That's great! I made a video something like this for the VIP party at the Knight Rider Festival. His After Effects skills are a tad better than mine but I was going for the same kind of effect. Thanks for the inspiration.

I was just watching Vooodo Knight. Is that office building LA center studios? The same location as Exit Light, Enter Knight? It sure felt like it but I can't be sure with out a more careful examination.
Sue, which part of Voodo Knight - Where the voodoo lady's party is going on, or where the guy's safe is, in the beginning of the episode?

The place where the parties are held is that building just next to the NBC/Universal building with the multiple levels - it's the access road in between the two parts of the building. There was an earlier posting with screen shots of two different episodes (I think Voodoo Knight may be a third use of that site).

As for Exit Light Enter Knight, if you're talking about the bank, I think that's a different location. But I'll watch both again too to be sure. They didn't get a lot of good shots of the area in KR08, and according to GST's interview here on KRO from the set, he indicated that much of the city's skyline was removed from the video to not look TOO much like LA.

BlueAveo
Volunteer

Post by BlueAveo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:11 am

Were there any locations in Texas?

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Did anyone who saw Glen Larson in Vegas at the KRF happen to ask about the Comtron building?
8)

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Sue, the screen shots and earlier posts I was referring to in answering your question about Voodoo Knight are below:

Knight Rider Archive wrote: I recognised this as the same location used in some other episodes, namely Return to Cadiz, Race for Life, and Voodoo Knight. Call sheets I have for Voodoo Knight identify it as 70 Universal City Plaza.

Return to Cadiz

Race For Life

Voodoo Knight

I've checked this out with a fine-toothed comb, and have discovered it is located about 100 yards from the Sheraton, here:

This is the building next to Universal's Black Tower that Joe needed help identifying in the earlier pages of this thread. Here is a shot to illustrate how the location was used in the different shows, which gave the illusion of the building being different locations:

A = K.I.T.T.'s location in Race For Life and Buy Out
B = K.I.T.T.'s parking space in Return to Cadiz and Voodoo Knight

. . .

As a sidebar, a famous photoshoot involving David Hasselhoff and the Trans Am took place around this location too (at the reverse angle to where they filmed the entranceway in Cadiz and Voodoo, etc). Notice the building and its address in the background:

Knight Rider Photoshoot

Universal City Plaza. Another location found!!

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:17 pm

This may have already been discussed and posted, if so my apologies.

At the end of every (first maybe second season) episode, Michael and KI2T are driving through the desert.. wilton's voice saying "one man can make a difference"... Where is that location? What desert highway?
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:55 pm

Vegasmike wrote:This may have already been discussed and posted, if so my apologies.

At the end of every (first maybe second season) episode, Michael and KI2T are driving through the desert.. wilton's voice saying "one man can make a difference"... Where is that location? What desert highway?
Do you mean this one?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11678&p=149989#p137891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

one_man
Operative

Post by one_man » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:56 am

Sue wrote:
Vegasmike wrote:This may have already been discussed and posted, if so my apologies.

Do you mean this one?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11678&p=149989#p137891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vegasmike, it appeared in the first season only. I posted this location a while ago
as a stand-alone thread because it means a lot to me.

Here is the approximate location using Google Street View:
31760 N Bobs Gap Rd, Los Angeles, California 93544

We should name it "The Knight Rider Road" or the "One-Man-Can-Make-A-Difference Road" :mrgreen:
I was hoping someone with a replica could remake this classic scene :D

one_man

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:23 am

Thank you Sue and One_Man!
That was exactly what i was asking about!!

Now how do we pettition the state of CA to dub that road the "Knight Rider Highway" (or Freeway for you cali folks :wink: )

We have the "extra terresteral highway here in Nevada, takes you to Area 51. Goes through Rachel, Nv
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:22 pm

Leaving Las Vegas Neil and I were able to snap some Goliath picts thanks to Tedpro's great descriptions.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11725&p=168455#p168455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Goliath1.jpg
Goliath1.jpg (82.71 KiB) Viewed 22978 times
Goliath2.jpg
Goliath2.jpg (42.5 KiB) Viewed 22973 times
Goliath3.jpg
Goliath3.jpg (85.4 KiB) Viewed 22965 times

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:27 pm

Goliath4.jpg
Goliath4.jpg (49.85 KiB) Viewed 22961 times
Goliath5.jpg
Goliath5.jpg (64.09 KiB) Viewed 22959 times
Goliath6.jpg
Goliath6.jpg (66.22 KiB) Viewed 22955 times

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Goliath7.jpg
Goliath7.jpg (67.97 KiB) Viewed 22953 times
Goliath8.jpg
Goliath8.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 22952 times
We didn't do too bad for not having pictures from the episode. There should also be a shot via camera phone in with the live videos.

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:23 am

EXCELLENT WORK SUE!!!!!

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:26 pm

Very good work, Sue! I liked a lot. :D

Live Shadoy Flight! 8)

Alex.

FalconCrest
Volunteer

Post by FalconCrest » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:40 pm

I am not a particular "Knight Rider" fan, but I am very impressed with your outstanding location research.

We also detect locations used on our show, "Falcon Crest", one of the great 1980's nighttime drama series, in a particular section on our website ("Behind the Scenes": http://www.falconcrest.org/english/mast ... des/ai/bts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - among other background information).

Besides using locations in Northern California (San Francisco and the Napa & Sonoma Valleys), "Falcon Crest" also shot all over Los Angeles -- and also used the Arden Villa in Pasadena in a few episodes. It once posed as a mansion in Buenos Aires (episodes 69 and 70) and later portrayed a mansion in the fictional Tuscany Valley north of San Francisco (episode 212).
I visited the Arden Villa in 2004. In case you would like to have photos for specific purposes on the site, please let me know. I will be happy to help.

When you go thru our "Behind the Scenes" section, you might discover some locations that were also used on "Knight Rider", which might also be of interest to you.

I am looking for a particular building based in Greater Los Angeles. It was used on "Falcon Crest" as a courthouse (but does not necessarily have to be one in real life, of course) and on various other 1980's TV shows. I am attaching two screen grabs from 1989 episodes. I am not exactly sure if it was also featured on "Knight Rider", but if it was, you guys can certainly tell me. We had no luck detecting this building and have no clue in which part of L.A. it might be situated. In case you have any idea, please let me know. You seem so experienced tracking places down. I would be happy to read your comments.

By the way, one of our story editors and writers, Bill Schmidt, also wrote for "Knight Rider". As you can see, there are some parallels in our favorite shows although they are so very different.

Thanks a lot for your help!

T.J.
http://www.falconcrest.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
Courths-1989-1.jpg
Courths-1989-1.jpg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 22729 times
Courths-1989-2.jpg
Courths-1989-2.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 22730 times

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 pm

TJ - I think I can speak for most when I say that we would love to see your pictures of Arden Villa. Also, do you happen to know which episodes of Falcon Crest featured Arden Villa? As far as the courthouse above, I don't recognize it as being in any Knight Rider episodes.

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:33 am

seeing these pictures is like living a dream :lol: a nice one. thank you for the effort Image :kitt: