If NBC was watching...

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

If NBC was watching...

Post by DevonStyles » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 pm

If Nbc was watching Vegas this weekend they should clearly see that the "Knight Rider" brand remains strong and people's love and curiousity are still strong after 25 years... How many brands can say that? It should also show NBC tha a return of the original Kitt for an episode or two would be a huge Success

Surely they must have had a rep or two down there...
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Re: If NBC was watching...

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:37 am

Yes, the Vegas event was proof that there's plenty of interest. I really think that if they would of promoted the show and had guest appearances by the Hoff and KI2t at the tail end of the season, the Neilson ratings would of been MUCH higher and there wouldn't be much doubt of a 2nd season. Sadly, that didn't happen. :? Now we have to hope that there's enough support from other countries so we can get a 2nd season. It's all about the green stuff.

I would be curious on how well DVD & BD sets would sell. I think they would sell really well, but who knows.
One man did make a difference.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:58 am

Wait a minite!!! Just thought of this.
Neps told us that NBC agreed to provide the Hero and Attack KITT from the show, so it can be displayed in the KR Festival.
Couldnt this be a test from them to see what is the effect of KR on people? maybe they wanted to see how much KR has affected people. I dont know, just a thought. maybe this is a good sign after all Image :kitt:

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:57 am

There's another thread here where neps explains it was Shelby who wanted the cars there, and that could possibly be for obvious promotional advantages for them. The UK Sci-Fi premiere won't help the series as it's going to be debuting after NBC have released their autumn schedule but I'm keeping everything I can cross, crossed!

I also don't think the new show should have to rely on the Hoff or KITT 2000 in order to save it, and people constantly going on about how this could save the series could show NBC little faith in the new show in its own right. A lot of episodes have proved it can "do" Knight Rider", but unfortunately GST's direction hurt the show big-time! I, too, hope NBC were watching and could see how big the Knight Rider franchise can be if done right and promoted right. I can't, however, blame them for not promoting it towards the end of the season as they threw millions behind what Sci-Fi Now magazine confirmed was "the most successful pre-launch advertising campaign for TV ever" and still the premiere episode only got 7 million... again I feel that's because the advertising showed GST's original direction, which was just wrong wrong wrong.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

Shredder565
Recruit

Post by Shredder565 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:06 pm

ONLY 7 million. That just shows how greedy network execs have gotten. Before these cheap to produce reality shows came along, 7 million would have been a GREAT number.

knightendo77
Operative

Post by knightendo77 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:25 pm

Shredder565 wrote:ONLY 7 million. That just shows how greedy network execs have gotten. Before these cheap to produce reality shows came along, 7 million would have been a GREAT number.
Actually 7 million would still have been seen as "not great". The top shows at one stage garnered 30+ million a few years back, but over the past five years TV audiences have waned. Besides, even forgetting about all that, the pilot movie in February 2008 pulled in 14 million so when the first episode of the first season pulls in half of that I think we're entitled to use the phrase "only" in comparison. Saying that, it was my choice of word, not NBC's. And remember, with a steady 7+ million for those first few episodes NBC granted the show a full season (which later was curtailed to 17 instead of 22 because of the economy, not the show) so I think NBC were happy enough to see if it had legs to grow, but halving the pilot's audience after such an intense advertising campaign simply wasn't good in anyone's book.
knightendo77
"I'm a Goofy Goober."

I'm on Bebo - knightendo_phil

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:02 am

But dont forget it was going against American Idol!!! and it always came in 2nd or 3rd most wtched show. that show tell something.
GST did a HUGE mistake take TOTW theme. this took alot of people who were waiting to see the show to watch any other thing on TV!!!. When they start going to TOS theme, starting from KARR episod, people started to feel the change and tell each other that they should give it ANOTHER chance.
Try to ollok back on this forum, and you will find alot of members trying to spread the word about the REBOOT and get people -who already turned their backs to the show- to start watching again.

Having said that, TV is full of shows, plus the Internet is taking alot of the time now days. and the networks know this. and this is why they have the Internet broadcasting and the live feeds and many other things.
so, its very natural to have 7 Million to see the show. I think this is a good number. and Remember something, this number reflects people watching in the USA. we dont know how much watching all over the world, me included.
American Idol used to get 20 or 30 Million -if I remember correctly- so the numbers are good.

what I am trying to say, NBC should look at the big picture and take all the elemnts into considration before judging to pull the plug. I think its fair to say, NBC's decision will have a world echo to it.
good or bad, people all over the globe will responde to the decision.

we are just waiting for NBC to tell us they will go for season 2. and this time, no one will go easy on GST becasue he already knows what people want from KR and what KR really means to people Image :kitt: