NBC's "Kings" bombs as well

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Luis
Rookie

NBC's "Kings" bombs as well

Post by Luis » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:47 pm

Hi guys,

I was actually hoping Kings got good ratings, mainly because it looks interesting and I want NBC to succeed. But it bombed... Badly.

From The Hollywood Reporter: "NBC's "Kings" had a devastating premiere Sunday night. Despite generally positive reviews, with some calling the project the most original new drama of the season, "Kings" (6 million viewers, 1.6 preliminary adults 18-49 rating and 4 share) was the lowest-rated program between 8 and 11 p.m. on a major broadcast network Sunday night. Its two-hour debut is one of the weakest of the season, on par with with the bow of last week's reality show "Chopping Block" and former Friday night adventure "Crusoe."
at: http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/03/kings-nb ... tings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Notice that Knight Rider wasn't mentioned. On a similar spot, a year ago or so, the KR2008 pilot did roughly 13 million viewers.

I think that Knight Rider looks better and better every week for NBC. It's the only scripted series showing ANY kind of promise in the ratings -- like an upward trend.

What do you guys think?

triran
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: NBC's "Kings" bombs as well

Post by triran » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Wow I hope your right, NBC will open their eyes to see what type of product they have!

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:27 pm

Well, to keep optimism around here, it seems like KR might be the best new show that NBC has... I hope they keep it and they should.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:20 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:Well, to keep optimism around here, it seems like KR might be the best new show that NBC has... I hope they keep it and they should.
Amen dude, amen!

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:41 am

What are the conditions or "the should have" list, the stations look at when taking decesions if they want to renew a show for another season? ratings? advertisements? Image :kitt:

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:28 am

1) money
2) money from advertisers
3) ratings that bring in that money
4) money
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:15 am

Wow, I haven't seen it and I think the concept behind it is kind of lame but I read some good reviews for it and will be giving it a chance though I'll still favor KR. I'm can't say I'm surprised since it is NBC after all, but it shows again that with all the promotion NBC did it didn't translate into viewers. What's going to be interested is next week's ratings, if they fall below this or even what KR did things could get interesting as I'm sure that IF NBC had to make a choice between this show which is probably not going to ever have any sort of merchandise to exploit, they'd go with the one that would potentially make more money which IMO would be Knight Rider. Only thing is that NBC might give it a chance to catch on and keep pushing it if critics really do like it, something KR of course has seriously lacked.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 am

The critics won't matter if viewers don't tune in.

When the KR BDP aired, it picked up viewers every half-hour, ending up with around 14 million. Kings shed viewers every half hour, ending up around 5.5 million. That's a bad sign for Kings...it means viewers weren't liking what they were seeing.

I'm afraid, though, that none of this will matter with regard to KR because Angela Bromstad doesn't like the show. It wasn't her baby, and from what I can gather, she never would have approved it had she been in charge at the time. It just isn't the direction she wants to go.

So, our glimmer of hope is fading fast.

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:53 am

thats truly disappointing, because i love KR, but Kings as so good too
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:03 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:The critics won't matter if viewers don't tune in.

When the KR BDP aired, it picked up viewers every half-hour, ending up with around 14 million. Kings shed viewers every half hour, ending up around 5.5 million. That's a bad sign for Kings...it means viewers weren't liking what they were seeing.

I'm afraid, though, that none of this will matter with regard to KR because Angela Bromstad doesn't like the show. It wasn't her baby, and from what I can gather, she never would have approved it had she been in charge at the time. It just isn't the direction she wants to go.

If it were up too Angela Bromstad she would can all scripted shows and just broadcast insipid so called reality shows that need no fandom and no ratings and are as disposable as toilet paper. If one fails another piece of crap replaces and then another it does not matter to them anymore. :x

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:The critics won't matter if viewers don't tune in.

I was thinking of Friday Night Lights but that's more thanks to DirectTV's money, there's also sitcoms who have had it happen though and were only canceled after given plenty of time to find a wider audience and failed to do so, but of course a 30 minute sitcom doesn't have nearly the budget of a usual 60 minute show unless the actors are expensive, heh.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:24 pm

I was watching The Today Show and everybody had them silly orange flags. NBC is killing themselves trying to promote nonsense based on a bible story and not promote good television.

I'd say Angela is fading fast as well :).
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Well maybe this is some good news for season 2 of KITT. Maybe Bromstad will see that KITT was a winner compared to "Kings" and renew it for season 2.

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 am

I hope you're right.

Between "Kings" bombing, and (from what I hear) NBC passing on an American version of Top Gear, Knight Rider does look like it's showing signs of life.

Keep your fingers crossed, everyone.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:01 am

calhoun24 wrote:I hope you're right.

Between "Kings" bombing, and (from what I hear) NBC passing on an American version of Top Gear, Knight Rider does look like it's showing signs of life.

Keep your fingers crossed, everyone.
Hope you are right man. all of us waiting for the golden word to come out of NBC. Although I would love to see the American version of Top Gear and how it would perform Image :kitt:

Sty Knight
Recruit

Post by Sty Knight » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:44 pm

From what I have seen of NBC as of late, I'd say Ms. Bromstad has done nothing good for the network at all and has actually made things worse. Sure, canceling KR would be something she may want to do, but you really have to think how much the top execs will put up with her decisions since they seem to be sinking and very fast. Leno to Prime Time will be an epic failure. The Tonight Show was popular, but had nothing close to Prime Time ratings. He'll have to retain all of his previous audience plus add a ton of new viewers and that is just not going to happen. He'll be up against shows like CSI: Miami and CSI: New York... that experiment will not last long.

Fact is, KR had steady ratings which is something that can't be said about really any shows on NBC besides The Biggest Loser. Heroes is falling fast and Chuck doesn't seem too far behind. I watch nothing but KR on NBC besides 30 Rock sometimes and if they remove KR, nothing will have me tuning into NBC. I know there are a lot more people on that same wavelength as well.
Save Knight Rider Petition Signed #5610

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:42 am

i heard that as long as jay leno can maintain the same ratings at 10 pm that the tonight show has been getting in the 11:30 time slot nbc wont cancel it.
in glen larson we trust.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:16 pm

I saw a few minutes of Kings but it reminded me of some other crap. You know the same story, guy saves king's son or whatever then the king starts getting paranoid and ultimately tries to kill the guy. Same crap different name. Isn't the king's daughter on the show kind of a whore anyway, why would I want to watch that. The problem with the KR haters is that too many of them want the original show back and that's never gonna happen. Too much seperation anxiety, I like the original but I'm with reality here I know it's never coming back and I'm not sure I'd want it to. This is the knight rider universe after the original, get used to it people. Did this many people bitch back in the 80's?

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:39 pm

This is what i have to say:

HA HA HA HA Knight rider is way better,better that anything,anything in this world. :kitt:
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:48 pm

KR is better than like everything on TV! :D If NBC kills KR, I'm not watching their network again.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:KR is better than like everything on TV! :D If NBC kills KR, I'm not watching their network again.
Knight Rider is the only thing on NBC I watch, I used to watch Leno fairly regularly but all this political *?$# just ruins the entertainment on his show so I quit watching it.

gotigers1
Rookie

Post by gotigers1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:24 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:
Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:KR is better than like everything on TV! :D If NBC kills KR, I'm not watching their network again.
Knight Rider is the only thing on NBC I watch, I used to watch Leno fairly regularly but all this political *?$# just ruins the entertainment on his show so I quit watching it.
AMEN!!

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:34 am

gotigers1 wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:
AMEN!!
Toobad I don't know when he does the Fred Willard or Gilbert Godfried skits or even Pump Casting, I'd watch those episodes only. That's when his show is the least political when they do stuff like that. The funny part is when Conan takes over the tonight show I'm really not watching it. Look at Jimmy Fallon's late night show, what a joke he's a total douche. At least friggin Conan was funny sometimes Fallon can't even accomplish that. For the record some of the things they did with the new Knight Rider that I peronsally would not have done, with regards to KARR no robot stuff. He would have his memories from his previous encounter with KITT plus the green laser would be back and to counteract it KITT would have the ability to turn mirror shiny to deflect it. That's would I would have done, that's what the origina KITT did was mirror his driver side window to deflect the show back to KARR. Since this new KITT can do things with his skin I figure why not have a light deflector ability. I didn't complain too much, I'm not gonna be like the non-believers who bitch about Knight Rider needlessly.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:08 am

KnightRiderKR wrote: Toobad I don't know when he does the Fred Willard or Gilbert Godfried skits or even Pump Casting, I'd watch those episodes only. That's when his show is the least political when they do stuff like that. The funny part is when Conan takes over the tonight show I'm really not watching it. Look at Jimmy Fallon's late night show, what a joke he's a total douche. At least friggin Conan was funny sometimes Fallon can't even accomplish that. For the record some of the things they did with the new Knight Rider that I peronsally would not have done, with regards to KARR no robot stuff. He would have his memories from his previous encounter with KITT plus the green laser would be back and to counteract it KITT would have the ability to turn mirror shiny to deflect it. That's would I would have done, that's what the origina KITT did was mirror his driver side window to deflect the show back to KARR. Since this new KITT can do things with his skin I figure why not have a light deflector ability. I didn't complain too much, I'm not gonna be like the non-believers who bitch about Knight Rider needlessly.
I never thought all those people watch NBC ONLY for KR!!!! this is really amazing. so in other words, nothing that comes out of NBC's production worth watching, but KR changed this and attracted some people to watch NBC!!! Image :kitt:

Sty Knight
Recruit

Post by Sty Knight » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:14 am

Knight007 wrote: I never thought all those people watch NBC ONLY for KR!!!! this is really amazing. so in other words, nothing that comes out of NBC's production worth watching, but KR changed this and attracted some people to watch NBC!!! Image :kitt:

Knight007 it's true. 30 Rock is really the only program I occasionally tuned into on NBC besides a very rare viewing of SNL. Once KR showed up, I officially because a full time viewer of one program on NBC. CBS has my eyes with many shows, like the Monday comedies and the CSI's to name a few.

If the recent ratings trends aren't signs to NBC that KR has a dedicated audience, NBC will one day in the future be in serious trouble and Ms. Bromstad, the chief of haters for KR will be out of a job. She has brought absolutely nothing good to Prime Time NBC.
Save Knight Rider Petition Signed #5610