writting knight rider fan fiction and copyright laws ??

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Milo
Recruit

writting knight rider fan fiction and copyright laws ??

Post by Milo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:11 pm

G'day, even though I've sighned in as a new user Ive always either been on here as rhdaussiekitt, or Knightman, most knightrider sites I'm known as Knightman, but had trouble with passwords and stuff here.

any way I know theres alot of knight rider based fan fiction and I've kinda had a story in the works for a while , a friend of mine who is writting a book says I need copyright permission to write a story based on the show.If this is so, how do I go about it, Im not doing it to make money, as I'm sure alot of others out there arnt either that have written many fan fics on the show and other shows.. so whats the go??

this what I've got so far
:kitt: :dash4:
http://www.freewebs.com/knightmansstori ... nights.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rainack
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: writting knight rider fan fiction and copyright laws ??

Post by Rainack » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:58 pm

Several of us on here are members of fanfiction.net. It's a site where you can post your fan fiction for any show you have an idea for. Every story I've read on there, right up front, the author writes a disclaimer stating that the characters and show itself do not belong to them. Though they may lay claim to the actual story idea, or any original characters.
I myself have posted 2 knight rider stories on the site, and this is also what I have done.
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 pm

The way it's gone is that you need copyright permission... if yer selling your fanfiction in a book. If you're making any profit off it or anything related to money, you need NBC/Universal's okay.

If yer just posting it on the web for anyone to read, they could care less.

Now, if NBC suddenly said they don't want fanfiction on the web, they'll ask those who post it to remove it. I know this happened to all the Pern fanfiction -and- fanart several years ago. Or if NBC suddenly decided to release a series of fiction books, they might not want fanfiction to be competing (I'm surprised that this hasn't happened in the Doctor Who world).
Read KR Fanfiction and Post your own at http://www.knightfic.com

Milo
Recruit

Post by Milo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:17 am

wonder if its possible to email and talk to nbc ?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:09 am

If it's just fan fiction and it's not going to be for profit then there's really nothing NBC could do, especially after all these years of not doing anything while thousands upon thousands of stories have been written by fans.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar: