Why NBC should save "Knight Rider" - External Article

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why NBC should save "Knight Rider" - External Article

Post by neps » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 am

Very long and thoughtful article - brings up some interesting points:

http://www.411mania.com/movies/columns/98856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Re: Why NBC should save "Knight Rider" - External Article

Post by WIBoomer1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 am

I agree that Chuck and KR would be a better 1-2 than Chuck & Heroes. I'd rather see Chuck lead into KR, since KR seems more spicy, but really could care less in what order they come in.

This is that rare "KR is OK" article that you don't see that often.

CrimsonK9
Recruit

Post by CrimsonK9 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:03 am

AMEN!!!!
-
I'm pretty sure they used to - you know - make waffles!
Ooo, Dr.G., pass the syrup!

I speak nine languages AND I have a card that gets me discounts at participating Red Lobster restaurants!

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 am

Well, I'm not sure if the guy is a fan of the show, or what, but he does make some interesting points. I sort of feel that "KR" could replace one of the Monday night shows- I never got into either, but I don't get "Chuck's" appeal, and "Heroes" just seems too bogged down in it's own premise. I do feel that the violence could still be toned down a bit, but i agree that the four leads have a sort of goofy chemistry between them, (I just wish the guy hadn't broken them down into such stereotypical roles) I do agree with his assesment about Billy- sometimes his extreme nerdiness makes me ashamed to call myself one. And then there's Val Kilmer. The guy sort of makes a reverse arguement- pay him more to keep him out of office- i wonder how serious VK is about this, and if he has a snowball's chance in heck of pulling this off. Still I wonder if anyone at NBC would read this article, and take it seriously.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

DavidKnight
Rookie

Post by DavidKnight » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 am

"And finally,

- It's keeping Val Kilmer employed. "

LOL, i've just fell down from my chair.

CrimsonK9
Recruit

Post by CrimsonK9 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:48 am

My favorite point he makes is in regards to why we can't have a fun exciting one hour piece of scripted escapism. Why does everything have to be 24, a Hallmark movie, or yet another edition of 'Lions Eat Christians' reality shows? When I was a kid we had Dukes of Hazzard, knight Rider, A-Team,Starsky & Hutch - just good guys zooming around in hot cars and crashing into bad guys. It makes me sad that if KR goes, my kids won't have anything like that to get nostalgic about someday. What are they gonna say, 'Wow remember when we used to play CSI and Celebrity Apprentice when we were little?'
-

I speak nine languages AND I have a card that gets me discounts at participating Red Lobster restaurants!

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:49 am

t's a show about a guy and talking car, for the love of Drake. It's meant to be ridiculous. The regular cast members (the new Michael Knight, the new foundation woman, the hot Asian computer chick and the whiny little nerd) have a goofy chemistry that, even when the show delves into "serious character issues" like a death in the family or whatever, is still kind of goofy. It's all meant to be rather light and fun and stupid. It's just entertainment.
Exactamundo! :good:

This guy has hit the nail right on the head in the article.

And the Kilmer quip? priceless lol

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:02 pm

weeezl wrote:
t's a show about a guy and talking car, for the love of Drake. It's meant to be ridiculous. The regular cast members (the new Michael Knight, the new foundation woman, the hot Asian computer chick and the whiny little nerd) have a goofy chemistry that, even when the show delves into "serious character issues" like a death in the family or whatever, is still kind of goofy. It's all meant to be rather light and fun and stupid. It's just entertainment.

Except that doesn't sell at all in 2009, that's the problem. Superheros are ridiculous, breaking your brother out of a maximum security prison using a tattooed blueprint on your body is ridiculous, a forensics expert who moonlights as a serial killer is ridiculous. But these ridiculous premises have been given great writing and a dark tone. That's why they are popular today. Well Prison Break is on the way out but it was immensely popular its first 2 seasons.

KR08 once again proves that today's audiences aren't embracing light, fun, and stupid anymore in a scripted series. Make KR dark and give it great writers and you have a better chance of creating a series that will catch on.

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Marcus, how come everything you write is negative? GST's update should have lightened you up a little :)

CrimsonK9
Recruit

Post by CrimsonK9 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote: Make KR dark and give it great writers and you have a better chance of creating a series that will catch on.
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.
-

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
weeezl wrote:

Except that doesn't sell at all in 2009, that's the problem. Superheros are ridiculous, breaking your brother out of a maximum security prison using a tattooed blueprint on your body is ridiculous, a forensics expert who moonlights as a serial killer is ridiculous. But these ridiculous premises have been given great writing and a dark tone. That's why they are popular today. Well Prison Break is on the way out but it was immensely popular its first 2 seasons.

KR08 once again proves that today's audiences aren't embracing light, fun, and stupid anymore in a scripted series. Make KR dark and give it great writers and you have a better chance of creating a series that will catch on.
Yes, because that worked out SO well for "Bionic Woman."
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

larmindy
Volunteer

Post by larmindy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
weeezl wrote:

Not entirely true. NCIS is not a "dark" show and it does well. It will even have a spin-off. Chuck, not dark by any means, is actually a very silly drama. What about the Simpsons, Family Guy et all? I think all of these are light fun and stupid...so the market and acceptance is here.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm trying to offer up some solutions. They tried it the GST way. If a dark tone and great writing is objectionable, then maybe KR is best left buried and remembered via TOS. The mass public was not interested in KR08 in the form it was presented in. The ratings proved that.

There really isn't anywhere to go from here but down if you aren't willing to change the tone and direction of the show. Its reached its 5 million audience and stabilized there. Not enough for NBC and more than likely will lose viewers as the series progresses which is the typical trend once a series has maxed out its viewership.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:. Superheros are ridiculous, breaking your brother out of a maximum security prison using a tattooed blueprint on your body is ridiculous, a forensics expert who moonlights as a serial killer is ridiculous. But these ridiculous premises have been given great writing and a dark tone. That's why they are popular today. Well Prison Break is on the way out but it was immensely popular its first 2 seasons.

Your negativity is ridiculous and quite frankly...boring. There are those of us who remain positive about the shows future, so if you don't mind.
KRAvengerII wrote: Yes, because that worked out SO well for "Bionic Woman."
Indeed, BW was slammed because of it and probably one of the main reasons we have yet to see KR here in the UK.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:24 pm

weeezl wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:. Superheros are ridiculous, breaking your brother out of a maximum security prison using a tattooed blueprint on your body is ridiculous, a forensics expert who moonlights as a serial killer is ridiculous. But these ridiculous premises have been given great writing and a dark tone. That's why they are popular today. Well Prison Break is on the way out but it was immensely popular its first 2 seasons.

Your negativity is ridiculous and quite frankly...boring. There are those of us who remain positive about the shows future, so if you don't mind.
KRAvengerII wrote: Yes, because that worked out SO well for "Bionic Woman."
Indeed, BW was slammed because of it and probably one of the main reasons we have yet to see KR here in the UK.
I don't mind at all. I do have one suggestion, if my posts bore you just put me on ignore. It'll save you the frustration of reading them. I only read a fraction of the posts here and it helps.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Trust me I don't read them, unless you've quoted me in a post.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:00 pm

And finally,

- It's keeping Val Kilmer employed.
LOL but quite true! :mrgreen: :good: :mrgreen:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:58 pm

:O Neil's following 411Mania now! I visit most of the sections several times a day and was on the movie section earlier but I didn't notice Bryan Kristopowitz's new column, I've read and commented on it occasionally. I do have to agree with it though....
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:15 pm

CrimsonK9 wrote: It makes me sad that if KR goes, my kids won't have anything like that to get nostalgic about someday. What are they gonna say, 'Wow remember when we used to play CSI and Celebrity Apprentice when we were little?'
LOL! Too true!
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 pm

In an ideal world, I'd love for them to bring back the campness of the original but IMO, the best episodes (the two parter) and the bank episode contained gritty and darker elements and I thought it worked for the show. It has it's fair share of comedy and light hearted moments to keep things in tone.

In order for the show to work, I think they should concentrate on the gritiness and hard edge which, of course, would make the show darker than the original but if you mix that with some scenes of comedy and jokes that are in the spirit of the original, then it would work.

I don't think the campness of the original would work in today's world.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:13 pm

We have to remember too that Knight Rider in the 80's was not campy.
But looking back on it it is campy in retrospect ONLY because it was aired in the 80's.
Likewise THIS version of KR will be campy 15 years from now without them trying to be.
Make it serious and it will be campy by default years from now.
Try and make it campy...and you got the power rangers..
We don't want that for KR. lol

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:07 pm

taoworm2323 wrote:We have to remember too that Knight Rider in the 80's was not campy.
But looking back on it it is campy in retrospect ONLY because it was aired in the 80's.
Likewise THIS version of KR will be campy 15 years from now without them trying to be.
This series doesn't need 15 years for the realization that its campy. It IS campy. KITT going Whoa on a sideways turbo boost, the garish looking attack mode, the exhaust tubes that pivot to turbo boost, etc. That is camp.

Seriousness doesn't go campy by default in time. That's a ridiculous line of reasoning. For instance, Twin Peaks was a serious drama and I don't think anyone out there would argue that its campy now, 20 years later.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
weeezl wrote:

Mr. Marcus, I agree with you....to a certain extent.

I personally think that the balance of the show has come a long way since inception - in terms of character balance, plotlines, and overall tone. I personally like the humorous touches, but the show never comes across as pure comedy - it comes across as an escapist crime-drama, with elements of action and hints of comedy. For me, personally, it strikes a good balance.

I agree that some dark writing could possibly benefit the show, perhaps in later stages/seasons - but I say save it for particular story arcs. Seriousness, I don't mind, but overly dark tones could kill the show. I think that "dark" writing will simply give us the first few episodes, in terms of quality, in a new format; KR got a bad rap because of the first few episodes and I don't see any reason that a radical change in the writing style would yield different results. I don't think that it's impossible to do it right, but given what we've seen from the pre-reboot episodes, I think "dark" writing would give us an overly-ridiculous show.

In moderation, it could work well. Maybe a few darker episodes here and there, or maybe a dark-toned story arc, but I don't think that the writers will find a good balance if they do it to the entire show.

Just my two cents.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
taoworm2323 wrote:We have to remember too that Knight Rider in the 80's was not campy.
That's a ridiculous line of reasoning. For instance, Twin Peaks was a serious drama and I don't think anyone out there would argue that its campy now, 20 years later.
You don't think Twin Peaks is campy?!
Ohhhhhkkkaayyyy.....(walks backwards slowly out of room...)

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:48 pm

lunchmeat wrote: Mr. Marcus, I agree with you....to a certain extent.

I personally think that the balance of the show has come a long way since inception - in terms of character balance, plotlines, and overall tone. I personally like the humorous touches, but the show never comes across as pure comedy - it comes across as an escapist crime-drama, with elements of action and hints of comedy. For me, personally, it strikes a good balance.

I agree that some dark writing could possibly benefit the show, perhaps in later stages/seasons - but I say save it for particular story arcs. Seriousness, I don't mind, but overly dark tones could kill the show. I think that "dark" writing will simply give us the first few episodes, in terms of quality, in a new format; KR got a bad rap because of the first few episodes and I don't see any reason that a radical change in the writing style would yield different results. I don't think that it's impossible to do it right, but given what we've seen from the pre-reboot episodes, I think "dark" writing would give us an overly-ridiculous show.

In moderation, it could work well. Maybe a few darker episodes here and there, or maybe a dark-toned story arc, but I don't think that the writers will find a good balance if they do it to the entire show.

Just my two cents.
Yeah that's more or less what I'm getting at. Even the darkest shows on tv have light elements and comedic moments. But you're open to changing aspects of the current series to make it better. There's a lot of people who blindly accept what they're given and rationalize it every which way they can "it'll get better" "its not camp" just to keep the show on the air. Its desperate.