Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kwsta25
Rookie

Re: Knight Rider might have been cancelled: two sources

Post by kwsta25 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:30 am

If nbc canned knight rider then its sad,the ppl in charge are lost. knight rider is a great family show all we have now is reality shows. the choping block is probably gona get better ratings. todays ppl i swear are loosing there minds. I HOPE THEY GIVE IT A SEASON 2. or i will never watch nbc again.

MrPayner
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by MrPayner » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:33 am

What have the ratings been like since the reboot?

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 am

ratings high of 6.01, dropped back down to 5.4ish, and has been on a steady increase for the past month.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:21 am

Knight94 wrote:IF KR08 is cancelled, and that is a big "IF", it's partially because of those who crapped all over it, wanting it
cancelled. Some said it's cuz it's not the original, that ONLY the ORIGINAL will do. Some because they hate
KR anyway. Either way, they wanted to take it away from those of us who do like it and wanna see it stay.
I personally hope it's just the end of the season, not the series. Those of you who keep hating on it, don't
watch. Change the channel a'ready.
I disagree with you compeltely. Your statement makes absolutely no sense considering that Knight Rider has FAILED TO HOLD SUSTAINED RATINGS, NBC doesn't care whether you support the show or not or even if you like or hate it, all it cares about is the RATINGS and obviously no matter what excuses people keep trying to invent for its lack of direction, story development, design, character development, promotion, etc. the bottom line is that not enough people are watching it and that is why it's in danger of getting placed on the chopping block.

Changing the channel because "you don't like it" kills your ratings and in broadcast that equals failure.

Your support doesn't matter and it doesn't make a difference to the studio brass who don't even get what Knight Rider is about. They have to "get it", they have to understand that ratings is not the measuring stick to what makes a successful show.

The fans DO matter and they SHOULD make a difference. Here we are telling them everything that would keep us watching. We give them free advice better than any focus group on what we like to see and what we don't like to see and apparently that doesn't matter because the episodes are shot so rapid fire that when they try to change things, it's already too late and they've blown through half their budget!

They have to accept that if they want a #1 show, they need to create a #1 show and give a #1 show the budget it needs to have a lasting run. Clearly with its third attempt at "rebooting" itself, this series has finally reached potential enough to sustain an audience and win over some new followers but it is not where it needs to be to go four seasons. The fact it has to "hope" it can get a second season speaks to its lack of lasting potential.

Those are the key words "lasting potential". Make a show that is designed TO LAST, not just to peddle a car or some other product. Don't design a show that is meant to rely on slang or just sex appeal.

If it were planned better from the start, it wouldn't have this issue now and it would have had enough money left to turn things around. Now it's plagued with people trying to save a sinking ship that has been patched together more than once. The result is we get episode inconsistancies which distract from our ability to follow along with the story for the week. Jumbling up episode orders is always a risky venture but when you have no other choice...at least you try to turn things around and I commend them for the effort.

The blame doesn't lie with the fans whether you're an advocate of preserving the respect of TOS or if you don't care about the original mythology and just go along for the ride with this "new mythology" - the blame lies with NBC's lack of respect or care to make a #1 show with lackluster planning, sloppy writing, and frivilous spending FROM THE START.

They value product placement over substance. Knight Rider is a show where YOU NEED TO WRECK CARS at some point, the whole appeal of Knight Rider aside from "One Man Can Make a Difference" (which is now a team apparently) is seeing this super advanced car take a beating and keep on ticking. Turbo Boost should not be the stunt of the week, it should be the norm with KITT. It's one function that is unique to K.I.T.T. alone (and you could debate KARR). Ski Mode, grappling hook, crashing through solid objects...these were all a given in the original series for one general purpose, to make us believe that KITT was virtually indestructable and unique.

So please stop playing the "all the haters, all the people who hate the show, all the original TOS who watch things through rose tinted glasses are the reason this series is getting cancelled" card and really do some credible research instead of creating yet another thread of unecessary whining.

I'm really exhausted with reading posts where people keep pointing fingers at "haters" and original series fans as if we're the downfall of the great new Knight Rider utopia. Face the fact that some people like this show and some people do not.

That's our god given right as viewers to decide what we find "good" and what we think "sucks". It's our right to say what works and what doesn't work. You can't police people's objective views because you happen to watch the series with the perspective that it's figuratively the best thing since sliced bread. If you like the show great but respect the opinions of those who choose not to.

Stop pointing fingers at other viewers and point them at THE STUDIO.

Our opinions don't matter when they're using focus groups that know nothing about Knight Rider to begin with. Unless NBC is going back to Comic Con or promoting that they want to know what you think about the series - you're just numbers to them. If you were anything more, they would be blitzing fans with merchandise, with hot wheels cars, with everything you as fans ask them to give you in order to keep your attention focused on their series. NBC would be running commercials consistantly and marketing Knight Rider as agressively as they started. I mean they even had a standee in a movie theater! They went that tenacious with their marketing campaign...

Then what happened? All that promotion, all those billboards just disappeared and if that's not a clear sign of the studio having their doubts, I really don't know what is.

Where are the t-shirts, where is the merchandise? Short of a few choice tradeshows...you get NOTHING.

They don't have the budget right? Yet look how much they've invested in Heroes merchandise which is now collecting dust on the clearance isles of Toys R Us, while Shelby GT500KRs are flying off the shelves.

Here's an idea! Stop making crappy merchandise for shows that aren't pulling their weight and start putting money into what people ASK FOR. It's the old saying - GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT.

Start off small to test the market if need be but really...do SOMETHING. Clearly it is a well known fact that toys of the original KITT sell like hot cakes. Ebay is littered with people clammering to get Knight Rider merchandise from t-shirts to posters to signed photos and KITT cars. The Joyride KITT was so sought after, they had to do a second release just to meet demand!

You Knight Rider 08 fans want to make a difference and keep Knight Rider on the air? Tell people to keep watching it...even if they hate it. To NBC all that is going to matter is the ratings.

Not your letters of support, not your passion, not you opinions, not your advice.

ratings.

If Knight Rider gets renewed in NBC's eyes, it's not because anyone made a difference to them, it is not because they have a "good show", it will be because it's the best of the worst. They would rather renew an existing series with an established questionable fan base than take a chance on a new set of pilots that may not go anywhere.

If it's renewed, no matter the reason for fans its a sign of victory and hope. It will however be an uphill battle to keep Knight Rider on the air and the only way this is going to work is if they learn from their mistakes with the first season and write a stronger and more cohesive story arc. They need to focus on what works, not what is "cool" or "trendy" - what makes the episode work and what keeps people watching them.

Drop the reliance on modern trends, drop the reliance on CG, and make a show that is created in a more cost efficient manner that makes the story stronger, then worry about the effects. This is what made Knight Rider work...stories with HEART as well as action. It's not just about the gimmicks, it's about using KITT's technology to progress the story, not just to show off a new feature or to flash some product placement moment.

Mroe driving, more car action, more visually kinetic moments. I swear you look at this last episode with the "claw" crusher right? Notice how KITT doesn't even move and it's the slowest "claw" in the history of on screen car crushing moments...now you compare that to Not a Drop to Drink when KITT and Michael are facing the backhoe.

Of course the backhoe doesn't touch KITT just like the claw but you know what the difference is? MOVEMENT. KITT races around avoiding the backhoe as it slams down back and forth --- this worked wonderful for the KITT vs KARRE fight when KITT was avoiding KARR's powerful arms --- but in this episode it was so slow and anti-climatic that you just lose interest. A laser and some sparks its going to cut it when it's the climax of the episode and therefore should be the most exciting. At the end of the day Knight Rider is a show about a CAR and what the CAR CAN DO, how the CAR MOVES, how the CAR LOOKS IN MOTION. KITT isn't supposed to just sit there like a stone and helplessly face danger, he's supposed to take on all on challenges head on providing it doesn't jeapordize Michael's life.

Look back at the climatic moments of Knight Rider like Buy Out or even Hills of Fire and Out of the Woods. Even Circus Knights which was not the best episode (pretty much a rehash of Slamming Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular) had some of the best stunt work in the season. KITT jumped through fire, he used Ski Mode, he took on a clown car with a friggin flamethrower and all in ONE EPISODE. These are the intense moments you want to see again and again and these are what is missing from this series now.

Whoever happens to make Season 2 of 08 needs to go back to the basics and watch Season Two of the original series because it is the one season of Knight Rider's entire four season run that has the most episodes that are for the most part not only watchable in a single season but also rewatchable...the rewatch value is key.

By Season Two, Knight Rider found its footing to warrent an oustanding Third Season and if the new Knight Rider can just understand what works and ditch what doesn't work, it has a shot of sticking around for awhile.

You're free to disagree with me but as far as I'm concerned this die has been cast, we'll see what the outcome is.

=VK=
:dash:
Last edited by Victor Kros on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:25 am

If a show like Terminator can have a second season, I don't see why Knight Rider couldn't have one.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:25 am

Knightfan82 wrote:If a show like Terminator can have a second season, I don't see why Knight Rider couldn't have one.
I agree with you and the funny thing is it's still on FOX which is notorius for cancelling shows before they can get very far. Family Guy did a great skit about it when it returned to the air about all the shows that needed to be cancelled in order for them to have a shot of getting back on tv.

The one thing I really enjoy about Terminator: TSCC though is that it respects the original mythology of the previous movies and given that it has the luxury of time travel, it doesn't have to stick to it by the book.

Like many series it has its best episodes and its filler episodes but I would say it has some solid storywriting and some great character development compared to other shows out there.

Also TSCC isn't designed to have a third season (hence the extended second season) - it's engineered by the Halcyon Company to end right before Terminator: Salvation.

=VK=

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 am

Well, again here I sit waiting for word on my new fave show...
Since TVGuide is already saying KR is "garaged", much like it said Moonlight was "Staked" this time last year; I have serious doubts about a S2.
I pray I am wrong, but TVGuide reported this early the fate of Moonlight and it had viewers.

As to KR not having substantial viewers; I don't remember who said that and personally I am too sick to care.
Knight has had steady viewers every week. Granted they may only be 5mil or so, but that's still steady!
The fact that KR had done retty good against Christine, Gary & Lost (albiet repeats) I like to think of as a good thing.

It would be so awesome to see a Second Season. The even "better" part of this is that I will find out the week b4 my birthday! :x

And although I like the L&O's I haven't kept up with them in years, mostly since they took the L&O Wed Block off. So if KR leaves the "peacock" net, so will I.
(sigh) Back to watching reruns of Christine I guess, since nothing else good will be on on Wed's. blahh
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:42 am

is there an online petition we could sign to send to NBC...Personally I think it is rumor until NBC Says it's Canned
Charles Edward Untz III

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:32 pm

http://knightrideronline.com/knight_rid ... /campaign/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is all the info you need to know to show nbc your concern.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Johnathan Kent
Rookie

Post by Johnathan Kent » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:31 pm

done thanks Solid Snake
Charles Edward Untz III

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:00 pm

Victor Kros wrote:
I disagree with you compeltely. Your statement makes absolutely no sense considering that Knight Rider has FAILED TO HOLD SUSTAINED RATINGS, NBC doesn't care whether you support the show or not or even if you like or hate it, all it cares about is the RATINGS and obviously no matter what excuses people keep trying to invent for its lack of direction, story development, design, character development, promotion, etc. the bottom line is that not enough people are watching it and that is why it's in danger of getting placed on the chopping block.
---
Changing the channel because "you don't like it" kills your ratings and in broadcast that equals failure.
---
Stop pointing fingers at other viewers and point them at THE STUDIO.
---
You Knight Rider 08 fans want to make a difference and keep Knight Rider on the air? Tell people to keep watching it...even if they hate it. To NBC all that is going to matter is the ratings.
---
Not your letters of support, not your passion, not you opinions, not your advice.

ratings.
---
=VK=
Victor, maybe you should be more specific - if you have a Nilsen (or other) ratings box, DON'T CHANGE THE CHANNEL! (or if you have a Nilsen diary, don't note that you changed the channel!) Yes ratings matter - but they don't get ratings from EVERYONE. Just because you happen to watch a particular show doesn't mean that your watching/not watching matters - unless you have a set-top ratings box or a Nilsen weekly diary.

Also, if you don't like the writing, the plot, the tricks, the visual graphics, etc., don't blame NBC (not that I would ever defend NBC) - blame GST and the producers. The network has very little influence in the actual production (including writing) of the actual episodes. Keep in mind that the producers DO read KRO and other blogs - the retooling is a perfect example of this - they responded to the fans and made KR into a good show worth watching with lots of potential to grow and improve in the future.

But you are right - ultimately it's all about the ratings. Unfortunately, if you're not one of the "lucky" families with a Nilsen box or a diary, you're not counted. If you also happen to only watch the show on line at NBC or Hulu, you are still not counted (even though I'm sure they could track who and how many times an on-line video is watched). That's why we have to at least try and make the NBC execs understand that there are a ton more people than the ratings reflect that watch this show.

Interestingly, that TVguide.com article mentioned ratings of 5.75 for KR's season finale this week. That's better than the original reporting of 3.3, and better than some other episodes - all without advertising.
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:56 pm

the season finale was also on the front page of hulu's most popular videos..
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."

Bishop37
Recruit

Post by Bishop37 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:00 pm

The show's cancelled. Period.

In the end it didn't perform well enough and if having it's full season order cut isn't a big fat sign saying it's cancelled, then people are just sticking their heads in the sand.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:26 pm

FLAGCEO wrote: Interestingly, that TVguide.com article mentioned ratings of 5.75 for KR's season finale this week. That's better than the original reporting of 3.3, and better than some other episodes - all without advertising.
The 5.75 is the millions of viewers that watched it, the 3.3 is the show's rating.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:06 pm

Bishop37 wrote:The show's cancelled. Period.

In the end it didn't perform well enough and if having it's full season order cut isn't a big fat sign saying it's cancelled, then people are just sticking their heads in the sand.
That's been my stance as well. The episode order being cut was a sign to me that it was toast. I think it went down like this:

- Ratings fell
- NBC cuts cast and funding
- Ratings don't improve relative to what NBC was expecting
- NBC reduces episode order and ends production on the series, no marketing is done for the remaining episodes.
- Remaining scripts are held and expected to carry over to season 2 in the event ratings dramatically increase on the remaining episodes.
- Ratings of the first couple of retool episodes do not meet NBC expectations.
- Show is canceled by NBC but status is kept secret and not released publicly.
- Decision is made to air last remaining episodes ending the series run.
- April 2009 Fall Slate is announced. KR not returning.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:37 pm

FLAGCEO wrote:Also, if you don't like the writing, the plot, the tricks, the visual graphics, etc., don't blame NBC (not that I would ever defend NBC) - blame GST and the producers. The network has very little influence in the actual production (including writing) of the actual episodes. Keep in mind that the producers DO read KRO and other blogs - the retooling is a perfect example of this - they responded to the fans and made KR into a good show worth watching with lots of potential to grow and improve in the future.
- I personally don't believe that our opinions had any real influence over the "retooling". It is pretty obvious (and stated by NBC) that they needed to cut costs and writing off some of the higher paid actors and scaling down sets was their solution. It was not intended from the start to lose Torres, Graiman, and Ravai. It was a business decision that forced the writers to write these three higher paid actors out of the show which is not uncommon in television series. I don't believe that these departures were planned out in advance of production.

Smallville did the same thing with John Schneider, Annette O'Toole, John Glover, and reduced involvement with Kristin Kreuk and Michael Rosenbaum although in this case it was the actors themselves requesting either to move on to other projects or have their involvement reduced.

If NBC wants to cut costs, they absolutely do have an impact over the production of the series (including writing/story direction) and thus are held responsible if they want to do things that GST disagrees with. Case in point, GST wanted to keep the darker flashbacks of Mike's time in Iraq in tact and they chose to cut them.

They call the shots, the production team has to follow the orders of NBC brass. Therefore the buck stops with NBC first, then the production itself. From a story standpoint, I do agree that GST and the rest of the writers are responsible because they ultimately decide what direction to take the series and then pass those ideas on back to NBC for funding and approval.

In this instance, they're both to blame for the series' shortcomings.

Although I can conceed that some producers might take into account some things that are said on internet forums, I would not give the internet much credit for the decision to make the "retool" as a means to improve the show in response to what the fans wanted. I believe it's more a cost cutting decision which as GST stated came from "the higher ups" (the studio brass) as most of the cast (and fans) didn't want to see Bruce Davidson for example, leave the series.

If anyone involved in the show has taken into account what the fans have to say online, it's the visual effects team at Master Key Films who fought to give us more TOS visual influences such as KITT's three bar vox and Ski Mode.

=VK=

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Knightfan82 wrote:If a show like Terminator can have a second season, I don't see why Knight Rider couldn't have one.
Terminator has an established and bigger fan base. Fact. That probably contributes to why the show is still around. However, it IS a good show with some solid writing.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:40 pm

i thought NBC cut episodes due to budget cuts, not because the series was in trouble.

Garth96
Stranger

Post by Garth96 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:43 pm

It may be too late, but we need THE HOFF! Even if it's a 5 min cameo or a small recurring role, NBC could do some massive marketing and get the word out. I know a lot of people that don't watch the show but say they would if they had some HOFF.

:kitt:
One man has made a difference.

welshKITT
Volunteer

Post by welshKITT » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:53 am

I think that ratings are made up for what ever TV show. How ratings are so called gained varies from country to country, some are in the form of boxes attached to TVs or digiboxes or whatever (which could in some ways be invasion of privacy) while other countries simply do surveys which just like the other one seems flawed. As I said I believe that ratings are made up and it's something that TV networks, TV channels and TV companies came up with on purpose to give it a so called good excuse to cancel shows whether they are popular or not.
If ratings do matter then why is it that near every TV show that has been cancelled over the years were scripted TV shows? Think about all the other types of TV shows such as sports shows, reality shows, animated shows, documentary shows, live shows, quiz shows and all the other types of TV shows very rarely get cancelled. Maybe NBC should move it to the Sci-Fi channel instead but people who liked the remake of Bionic Woman were hoping that NBC would have moved that to SC-FI which of course they didn't.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:40 am

welshKITT wrote:I think that ratings are made up for what ever TV show. How ratings are so called gained varies from country to country, some are in the form of boxes attached to TVs or digiboxes or whatever (which could in some ways be invasion of privacy) while other countries simply do surveys which just like the other one seems flawed. As I said I believe that ratings are made up and it's something that TV networks, TV channels and TV companies came up with on purpose to give it a so called good excuse to cancel shows whether they are popular or not.
If ratings do matter then why is it that near every TV show that has been cancelled over the years were scripted TV shows? Think about all the other types of TV shows such as sports shows, reality shows, animated shows, documentary shows, live shows, quiz shows and all the other types of TV shows very rarely get cancelled. Maybe NBC should move it to the Sci-Fi channel instead but people who liked the remake of Bionic Woman were hoping that NBC would have moved that to SC-FI which of course they didn't.
LOL ratings are not some imaginary device that's used as an excuse to cancel a show. Everything is about money. Ratings matter in so far as they bring in advertising. A high rated show means more people are watching which means the networks can charge more for advertising slots.

The ideal show is one which appeals to that coveted 18-49 demo in very large numbers. That's a network's golden goose b/c they can charge a fortune for commercials during that show. And plenty of reality shows have been canceled for sagging ratings. Dog Eat Dog, Fear Factor, Average Joe are just a few of the reality shows on NBC which have been canceled.

The only place where ratings don't matter as much is on cable or HBO, Showtime, etc b/c they rely less on advertising to make money. For instance, HBO relies on subscriptions not advertising. Its for this reason why the better quality shows come from cable or HBO b/c there's isn't that pressure to create a show that has mass appeal. Mad Men on AMC has won numerous awards and much critical acclaim but its one of the lower rated shows on tv with less than 3 million total viewers.

The 500 lb. gorilla in the room that no one wants to admit is that KR08 wasn't very good. It was given 3 creative chances, a good consistent time slot, and yet it didn't perform to NBC's expectations. You can't fault the network for wanting to cancel it. They gave it plenty of opportunities to be a big hit but in the end people weren't interested enough to make NBC renew it.

welshKITT
Volunteer

Post by welshKITT » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:31 am

Mr.Marcus wrote:
welshKITT wrote:I think that ratings are made up for what ever TV show. How ratings are so called gained varies from country to country, some are in the form of boxes attached to TVs or digiboxes or whatever (which could in some ways be invasion of privacy) while other countries simply do surveys which just like the other one seems flawed. As I said I believe that ratings are made up and it's something that TV networks, TV channels and TV companies came up with on purpose to give it a so called good excuse to cancel shows whether they are popular or not.
LOL ratings are not some imaginary device that's used as an excuse to cancel a show. Everything is about money. Ratings matter in so far as they bring in advertising. A high rated show means more people are watching which means the networks can charge more for advertising slots.

The ideal show is one which appeals to that coveted 18-49 demo in very large numbers. That's a network's golden goose b/c they can charge a fortune for commercials during that show. And plenty of reality shows have been canceled for sagging ratings. Dog Eat Dog, Fear Factor, Average Joe are just a few of the reality shows on NBC which have been canceled.

The only place where ratings don't matter as much is on cable or HBO, Showtime, etc b/c they rely less on advertising to make money. For instance, HBO relies on subscriptions not advertising. Its for this reason why the better quality shows come from cable or HBO b/c there's isn't that pressure to create a show that has mass appeal. Mad Men on AMC has won numerous awards and much critical acclaim but its one of the lower rated shows on tv with less than 3 million total viewers.

The 500 lb. gorilla in the room that no one wants to admit is that KR08 wasn't very good. It was given 3 creative chances, a good consistent time slot, and yet it didn't perform to NBC's expectations. You can't fault the network for wanting to cancel it. They gave it plenty of opportunities to be a big hit but in the end people weren't interested enough to make NBC renew it.
Maybe, but putting it up against american idol is the most stupidest idea they done. It would be like swimming with great white sharks without using a cage and cut yourself on purpose. If it is about money I will suggest that all scripted TV shows should be made for the internet only and not do that stupid "only available in the US or whatever country they are in". I mean there is plenty of advertising on the internet so surely if they make Knight Rider a internet only show and keep it as it is (buget wise for example) then they will be getting money either way cause let's face it standard television viewing is dead.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:03 pm

Well there's no way to win with you guys. If they put KR in a friday/saturday night time slot you would be arguing that no one was watching it b/c those nights suck for tv. NBC puts it on a Wed. night slot and surprisingly does not move it at all during its entire run, thereby giving it a great opportunity to build a cumulative audience, and you guys are complaining that its up against AI.

The bottom line is this. KR found its audience. They were the 5 million who tuned in every week. It wasn't going to increase beyond that. It just wasn't good enough to score 8+ million viewers and certainly wasn't good enough to score 10+ million viewers. No time change, day change, or more promotions was going to do that.

If this was CW we might be looking at a solid renewal. But its NBC and 5 million won't cut it. A better business decision is to put a new show in there and see if it takes off, if not cancel it and repeat, and so on until they get a hit show.

Harry Singh Jr.
Operative

Post by Harry Singh Jr. » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:17 pm

:cry: Oh say it isn't so.

Sty Knight
Recruit

Post by Sty Knight » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:Well there's no way to win with you guys. If they put KR in a friday/saturday night time slot you would be arguing that no one was watching it b/c those nights suck for tv. NBC puts it on a Wed. night slot and surprisingly does not move it at all during its entire run, thereby giving it a great opportunity to build a cumulative audience, and you guys are complaining that its up against AI.

The bottom line is this. KR found its audience. They were the 5 million who tuned in every week. It wasn't going to increase beyond that. It just wasn't good enough to score 8+ million viewers and certainly wasn't good enough to score 10+ million viewers. No time change, day change, or more promotions was going to do that.

If this was CW we might be looking at a solid renewal. But its NBC and 5 million won't cut it. A better business decision is to put a new show in there and see if it takes off, if not cancel it and repeat, and so on until they get a hit show.
Your logic is flawed though. 5 Million won't cut it for NBC? I can't see much on their station doing better besides a few shows. Friday Night Lights has been a failure since last season but they kept it on TV. It's rated lower than Knight Rider is. It's all about the money for NBC and Ford is a cash infusion right now with KR on TV. That factors in a bit different than say Bionic Woman cause they didn't have a major sponsor for that show. Like I mentioned in the other topic, Ford's sponsorship could have a lot to do with KR getting a second season.

Knight Rider can get 6 million viewers because the ratings have been increasing. If we had a few more shows, then we might have exceeded 6 million once again. My Own Worst Enemy was canceled right away and yet KR has been on TV since the beginning. If it was truly that bad for NBC, it would have been gone before now.

An NBC rep will be at the KR festival and I'm sure if a second season is to come, chances are it will be announced there. If KR was as bad as you claim Mr. Marcus, there is no denying it would have been gone before now.
Save Knight Rider Petition Signed #5610