Positive Spins from LEGIT News Sources

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Positive Spins from LEGIT News Sources

Post by neps » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:28 am

TVGuide, TVByTheNumbers - they're quoting unnamed sources and their own data. I'm not expecting NBC to make a press release that the show is canceled. However, I'd want a respected source to break it.

If The Hollywood Reporter, Variety or the Times (new york or la) do an article about it being canceled then that I will trust. Not some page view counting websites just trying to make a mark.

Speaking of, here are the NY Times and Variety on record about Wednesdays show:

NYTimes 1:
Ratings: ‘Knight Rider’ Finishes in Second Place
By Benjamin Toff

A rocky season for NBC’s remake of the 1980s crime show “Knight Rider” drew to a close on Wednesday, showing minor improvement, but improvement nonetheless, in the show’s struggling ratings.

NBC says no decision has yet been made on the series’ fate, but if Wednesday’s finale was indeed its last episode, at least it went out on a relatively high note. According to Nielsen’s estimates, “Knight Rider” earned a modest 5.8 million viewers, its most in more than a month and enough to place second only to Fox’s “American Idol” (22.5 million) in its 8 p.m. time slot.
NYTimes2:
‘Knight Rider’ Crashes Into ‘American Idol’
By BENJAMIN TOFF; Compiled by DAVE ITZKOFF
Published: March 5, 2009

Season 1 of NBC’s remake of the 1980s action show “Knight Rider” sputtered to a close on Wednesday, drawing 5.8 million viewers, its most in more than a month, according to Nielsen’s estimates. Its primary competitor at 8 p.m.? A Fox series called “American Idol,” which attracted 22.5 million viewers. Fox led the night over all, despite trailing at 9 p.m. with “Lie to Me” (10.2 million), which lagged behind ABC’s “Lost” (10.6 million) and CBS’s repeat of “Criminal Minds” (10.3 million). CBS was runner-up for the night, while ABC and NBC finished in third and fourth.
And Variety:
NBC saw the best scores in a while for "Knight Rider" (1.8/5 in 18-49, 5.8 million viewers overall), which aired its finale. It out-rated the net's repeats of "Life" (1.3/3 in 18-49, 4.6 million viewers overall) and "Law & Order."
To me this means the shows not over yet. Vareity and NYTimes don't sensationalize and are respected.

Lameth1
Recruit

Re: Positive Spins from LEGIT News Sources

Post by Lameth1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:31 am

Thanks for that.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:35 am

This is what I want to see, positivity!

It proves KR is consistent and holds its own considering the Juggernaut that AI is, very respectable.

EDIT: oh I forgot to add lack of promotion also.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:29 am

this is good news indeed. but this is the way the media saw KR. I got a question here for the people living in the US, does media view -or openion- affect TV industry?? did it happent before?
I am just looking for any thing to hang on, you know? just hope this positive media coverage will help in making the mind of NBC's management. :kitt:

King2000
Volunteer

Post by King2000 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:44 am

Since the reboot, this has been the closest thing to "Knight Rider" since TOS. The show is very enjoyable to watch, and the whole reboot was for the better. If they wanted to generate more buzz, the best thing to do is bring it back for another season on an interim basis, and change the car, since many have objections about a mustang being KITT. Throw in The Hoff and Ki2T, and you have a good formula for success.

The-Knight-2000
Volunteer

Post by The-Knight-2000 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Good news, and brings hope that it'll survive, though I disagree with King2000. They dont need to change the car (although personally, i'd lose the huge silver blowers in attack mode...), and i dont think they really need the Hoff or KI2T to make it work, although i'd love to see both return for a two parter or something. Maybe sarah wants Knight Sr's perspective on the new FLAG or something like that, some flimsy excuse that then ends with Michael helping Mike face a tough threat (KARR handled properly!) and providing a real link between old an new

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:16 pm

King2000 wrote:the best thing to do is bring it back for another season on an interim basis, and change the car, since many have objections about a mustang being KITT. Throw in The Hoff and Ki2T, and you have a good formula for success.
Not this again... I admire your support for the series to come back... but please... The Mustang IS Ki3t and it must stay, for several reasons. Ford is the one supporting the show and keeping it alive (even for as long as we had it now) any other company from the US would have pulled the plug already due to the bailout etc etc. And not to mention that the Mustang is just looking cool... not only did a lot of people get used to it and love it now... but it also has brought in a whole bunch of new fans! Again I am not criticizing you or anything, just saying that this car discussion is getting old and totally boring... but again I commend you for your support.

Also thanks for the positive spin Neps!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:27 pm

the mustang is here to stay, and you'll just have to get used to it.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITTman
Volunteer

Post by KITTman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:19 pm

that all makes me feel a little better,its not over yet.I do like the mustang,but to satisfy everyone,have the Hoff come back with the old Kitt's AI,and down load it into new Kitts memory,and have him transform into an 82 trans am every once in a while.

KDMatt
Volunteer

Post by KDMatt » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:35 pm

KITTman wrote:that all makes me feel a little better,its not over yet.I do like the mustang,but to satisfy everyone,have the Hoff come back with the old Kitt's AI,and down load it into new Kitts memory,and have him transform into an 82 trans am every once in a while.
Better yet, find the shell for the original KI2T? .. wasn't it in the pilot?

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:41 pm

Ah. I don't know. Yesterday I just about accepted KR was gone for good. I can deal with the despair, it's the hope I can't handle.

Honeykitt
Rookie

Post by Honeykitt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:24 pm

neps wrote:TVGuide, TVByTheNumbers - they're quoting unnamed sources and their own data. I'm not expecting NBC to make a press release that the show is canceled. However, I'd want a respected source to break it.

If The Hollywood Reporter, Variety or the Times (new york or la) do an article about it being canceled then that I will trust. Not some page view counting websites just trying to make a mark.

Speaking of, here are the NY Times and Variety on record about Wednesdays show:

NYTimes 1:
Ratings: ‘Knight Rider’ Finishes in Second Place
By Benjamin Toff

A rocky season for NBC’s remake of the 1980s crime show “Knight Rider” drew to a close on Wednesday, showing minor improvement, but improvement nonetheless, in the show’s struggling ratings.

NBC says no decision has yet been made on the series’ fate, but if Wednesday’s finale was indeed its last episode, at least it went out on a relatively high note. According to Nielsen’s estimates, “Knight Rider” earned a modest 5.8 million viewers, its most in more than a month and enough to place second only to Fox’s “American Idol” (22.5 million) in its 8 p.m. time slot.
NYTimes2:
‘Knight Rider’ Crashes Into ‘American Idol’
By BENJAMIN TOFF; Compiled by DAVE ITZKOFF
Published: March 5, 2009

Season 1 of NBC’s remake of the 1980s action show “Knight Rider” sputtered to a close on Wednesday, drawing 5.8 million viewers, its most in more than a month, according to Nielsen’s estimates. Its primary competitor at 8 p.m.? A Fox series called “American Idol,” which attracted 22.5 million viewers. Fox led the night over all, despite trailing at 9 p.m. with “Lie to Me” (10.2 million), which lagged behind ABC’s “Lost” (10.6 million) and CBS’s repeat of “Criminal Minds” (10.3 million). CBS was runner-up for the night, while ABC and NBC finished in third and fourth.
And Variety:
NBC saw the best scores in a while for "Knight Rider" (1.8/5 in 18-49, 5.8 million viewers overall), which aired its finale. It out-rated the net's repeats of "Life" (1.3/3 in 18-49, 4.6 million viewers overall) and "Law & Order."
To me this means the shows not over yet. Vareity and NYTimes don't sensationalize and are respected.
Thank-you for the positive stuff Neps :)

wez
Operative

Post by wez » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:32 pm

KITT wrote:the mustang is here to stay, and you'll just have to get used to it.

i love the mustang i really hope we get more of it...

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:57 pm

I hope so too! :good:

At first I was unsure about the Mustang but it really grew on me, it is a sexy machine, especially in motion.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks for all the positive stuffs Neil! :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Mr. M
Rookie

Post by Mr. M » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Let me also add a "thank you" as well for posting this.

PS I'm sure the Mustang is here to stay if there is season 2. Now depending if Ford pulls its money we'll see if the Cobra badging is displayed any longer. (GM is really not in a good condition to pay to promote the Camaro if Ford did drop out, which I doubt they would).

King2000
Volunteer

Post by King2000 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:49 pm

Solid Snake wrote:
King2000 wrote:the best thing to do is bring it back for another season on an interim basis, and change the car, since many have objections about a mustang being KITT. Throw in The Hoff and Ki2T, and you have a good formula for success.
Not this again... I admire your support for the series to come back... but please... The Mustang IS Ki3t and it must stay, for several reasons. Ford is the one supporting the show and keeping it alive (even for as long as we had it now) any other company from the US would have pulled the plug already due to the bailout etc etc. And not to mention that the Mustang is just looking cool... not only did a lot of people get used to it and love it now... but it also has brought in a whole bunch of new fans! Again I am not criticizing you or anything, just saying that this car discussion is getting old and totally boring... but again I commend you for your support.

Also thanks for the positive spin Neps!
I actually like the Mustang as KI3T. However, this was a thought to regenerate some buzz for season 2. I wouldn't be heart broken if they reworked the looks of, or even removed, Attack Mode. The show post reboot is a wonderful improvement on the weak stories in the early season.

Mr. M
Rookie

Post by Mr. M » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:18 am

King2000 wrote:I actually like the Mustang as KI3T. However, this was a thought to regenerate some buzz for season 2. I wouldn't be heart broken if they reworked the looks of, or even removed, Attack Mode. The show post reboot is a wonderful improvement on the weak stories in the early season.
I agree. I could do without attack mode and all the transformations. The post reboot episodes were more along the lines of what we the fans were looking for.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Well I do hope is renewed and if it tanks it means basically curtains for the franchise for good. It will only a dead a dead and buried franchise catered by the fans and no more forever and ever, the end...