Music whinge

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ShadowTD
Stranger

Music whinge

Post by ShadowTD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 pm

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster from the UK. I've been watching the new series of KR since the pilot aired. We had a pilot party and I played it out on our HD projector to an audience of 20+. Most of them were people around my age (late 20's, early 30's) who had enjoyed Knight Rider when it was first broadcast. When the first bars of the music began to play during the titles the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. This was brilliant. Knight Rider was back. And then it all went wrong. And it's continued to be wrong since. Not the show which is brilliant - fantastically escapist and even better since the reboot. Not the car, because the Ford thing never bugged me - we never see TA's in the UK and we never see Mustangs.

It's the music. Specifically, the theme. Where the gosh darned heck is the brilliant Knight Rider theme that we all know and love? I've enjoyed them putting the bass line cues in the show of late, but where is the triumphant lead line?

The thing that really bugs the tar out of me is that they were using a really cool version of the theme on the 2 minute promo clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e9wgshS0qI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 24 seconds onwards) and this wasn't even included in the pilot. I had high hopes of the series coming in with a better mix, but they kept the worst thing of the pilot! New titles for the reboot, but still that bland and pointless guitar break just when the theme is about to get going.

Is it just me?

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Re: Music whinge

Post by Knight007 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:48 am

Personaly, I like the new music and the new mix. for the titles, you are right. they need to change it and fix it. some of the clips they are using dont really make much of sense.
like when the word "knight Rider" is displayed, you see the F-150 which is KITT blown up and in the air flying!!!
when this word come, it should have the clip of KITT driving in a majestic way.

Some one here posted before a very nice intro he did him self and it was amazing. I will try look for it and post the link. Image :kitt:

triran
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by triran » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:36 am

Yeah I love the new tune, great twist on the original. I prefer the TV series version as oppose the pilot due to lack of noise from the car and so forth.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:06 am

Good point about the intro sequence - never thought about it much. I agree that the truck flipping should be moved elsewhere (although, when they changed the intro, did that get moved?) and they should have KI3T in place when the title is shown. I guess I never really gave this much thought, but the people who made if should have - action shots are great in a title, but they missed the cue to use the 'Stang as an icon. Hell, even the words "Knight Rider" on a black background with KI3T's red scanner would have been better. (Actually, that would have been great.)

I like the idea behind the new theme - I just don't like the fact that it doesn't have a striking melody until the last bit. Even with that, I'm still baffled as to why the composers decided to go with a chord progression in G major....power chords, no less. I don't get it. Love the drums and bass, though, and some of the effects used in the intro to the theme (tried to figure some of them out to no avail).
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR