K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rainack
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: K.I.T.T. Dashboard/Voice Modulator Blunders

Post by Rainack » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:19 pm

GarthKnight08 wrote:
Rainack wrote: This one isn't TOS, it's from Team KR. The third episode, when the two company execs are speeding head on toward each other: they show the RPMs revving on the engines, but if you look to the right, you see the mph are at 0.
What the hell are you talking about? Team KR? Since when did KITT appear in Team Knight Rider?
Ok, I KNEW I shouldn't have posted that here. It is a Dashboard blunder, just not KITT.

:cry:
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Here's a couple more from "Inside Out."

This is the clearer shot of the odd dashboard I mentioned earlier:

And here we can see a stunt driver, no overhead console, a rear view mirror, no "KNIGHT" license plate and a round steering wheel. In fact, this is likely just a normal Trans Am altogether aside from the front nose:

“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:59 pm

This one is from blind spot:
no dash with regular steering wheel

same dash from the ice bandits

round steeringwheel from blid spot

round steeringwheel from custom kitt

missing switchpod from return to cadiz

missing dash electronics and switchpod from return to cadiz

missing switchpod from ring of fire

fake dash from knight by a nose

and in buyout

weird upper console from return to cadiz

season one voicebox in season two - ring of fire
"One man can make a difference"
Knight Rider forever

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 am

ThomasKnight wrote:This one is from blind spot:
no dash with regular steering wheel

same dash from the ice bandits

round steeringwheel from blid spot

round steeringwheel from custom kitt

missing switchpod from return to cadiz

missing dash electronics and switchpod from return to cadiz

missing switchpod from ring of fire

fake dash from knight by a nose

and in buyout

weird upper console from return to cadiz

season one voicebox in season two - ring of fire

awesome sherlock holmes skills
:good: :good: :D :kitt:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks! I'm happy you like it!
Actually i had these in my mind for a long time, I watch the episodes almost every day or week and now I know witch episode contains mistakes and where.
I'm a very big fan of the original dash, just as the whole car, so that is also the reason why it was soooo painful to see the today treetment of the original screen car dashes:
Most of them they gone! Remember the screen used kitt car for sale about 150 000 $ in california few month ago?
When I saw the dash, I was truly shocked, how fake materials where on it everywhere. Wery sad thing. :? :!:
I think our hero car deserves much more respect and care!
If I would be an owner: it would be the minimum for me to care about my item 100% at least because I'm a fan of it!

:kitt:
Knight Rider forever

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:05 am

Gee you think those are bad goofs! Check out this one from "Out of the Woods" in season 4!

K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Wow, great finds, guys. ThomasKnight, that's a pretty impressive string of pictures!

James_kr, wow, what the hell is that?! I can't believe I've watched that episode so many times and never noticed...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:55 am

lol, I don't know how people have missed it. It has got to be the worst interior view shot of the series! Don't know why they even bothered putting that red light on the dash, What's the point??
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:30 am

Thanks Lost Knight! :D

Nice catch James_kr! :good:
I remember this one, but didn't got time to post it.
As you can see it's the same dash which I captured from Knight by a nose and Buyout. That little red light there probably was a sign for the Hoff to help look to the right place or a sign for the stunt driver. Maybe both. We can ask Viktor Kros about it.
I also not understand, why the made a close up like this with a fake dash, but it's a fact, that you can see these moments in the series only for few seconds and they are usually in the middle of the action, soo really hard to recognise them: sometimes I watched about 6-8 times the same scene, when I recognised the mistake. You need a very good eyes and patience for it.
Knight Rider forever

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 pm

This one is my favourite:
Kitt is parking by it self in just my bill and someone is in the car, close to the door, his head and shoulder:

[IMG=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6416/pdvd000x.th.png][/IMG]

These ones are for white bird:
The driver bilt in the seat, round steeringwheel, missing switchpod and a hand is opening the door:

[IMG=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7897/pdvd001v.th.png][/IMG]

[IMG=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2366/pdvd006.th.png][/IMG]

[IMG=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4569/pdvd007.th.png][/IMG]

[IMG=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3616/pdvd003z.th.png][/IMG]

[IMG=http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2182/pdvd004.th.png][/IMG]
Knight Rider forever

ThomasKnight
Operative

Post by ThomasKnight » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:35 pm

This one is very funny from Burial ground:
Missing switchpod and dash electronics, but the steering wheel is working by remote control:

[IMG=http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9071/pdvd005q.th.png][/IMG]
Knight Rider forever

FLAGCEO
Operative

Post by FLAGCEO » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:25 pm

This is a KITT exterior blunder, in a bunch of turbo boosts, at least one of the pop-up headlights would come up, as in this screen shot (from hulu) in "Plush Ride":
plush ride 1-12.jpg
plush ride 1-12.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 34313 times
Bring Knight Rider back for Season 2!!

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:18 am

I'm pretty sure this counts as a Dashboard Blunder.
The Ice Bandits - Season 3.
Two thieves on bike do their stealing, Michael and Kitt chase them down the CA Aqueduct up to a small door-sized gap. KITT can't get thru and Michael says "I want those guys".

He goes to get back into the car - and look at the dash...... no 'curve'.

Did the producers not think to use the one of the cars at least with the curve (if not the interior)??

If you watch the Ending of all the shows on Big Gap (that long road), you will ALWAYS see the straight dash. Such a major flaw, particularly when it is on every single episode.

Whitestar
Volunteer

Post by Whitestar » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:10 am

Curious, I've heard that the gullwing steering wheel is not street legal for owners of KITT replicas within the US. Why is this the case? Is it less secured for driving as oppose to a rounded steering wheel? Perhaps this would explain why the stuntmen used a rounded steering for the stunts?

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:03 pm

I suspect it is because you cannot control a gullwing wheel as well as you can with a round one.

I best a roundone can be turned and controlled far more safely than a Gullwing.

:dash:
2-screen fan!

Whitestar
Volunteer

Post by Whitestar » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:12 pm

simon_a6 wrote:I suspect it is because you cannot control a gullwing wheel as well as you can with a round one.

I best a roundone can be turned and controlled far more safely than a Gullwing.

2-screen fan!
I agree. While the gullwing steering wheel may look cool and futuristic, it doesn't seem so safe to drive with. All of us drivers are instinctively more comfortable and secured with a rounded steering wheel. Even in the 1960s Batman series, Adam West requested to have the gullwing steering wheel replaced with a rounded one because he didn't feel the gullwing was secured as the latter. Speaking of which, Nissan has a concept car called the Land Glider in which it has a gullwing steering wheel.

Check out the links right here:

http://images.google.com/images?q=photo ... h%3A1&sa=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive/20 ... -02-lg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as that car has the gullwing steering wheel, Nissan will never get approval for it to be street
legal to use.

What do you think?

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:20 pm

That is very cool. Looks like the car swings down on the side like a bike.

If you get Top Gear in the USA , look out for a programme where Richard Hammond drives a car that moves like a bike.

Sorry - we are going off topic here!!

I love the fact that the producers just either didn't see, didn't bother to check, or were not at all bothered that it's so clear when you see the 'straight dash' and the steering wheel. But love some of the images people have uploaded of shots in the car where the dash is 'blank'.

It's a bit like seeing how a magic trick was done: some like to see, some don't. I DO!!

Not read yet anything about the obvious flaw in the Semi either. When he drives up it, there's about a foot either side of the car to fit it in the 'trailer'. But when he's in there, the doors open wide.

Yes I know - it's a studio - but still.

If anyone here has a KITT replica they drive around it, would love to hear from you.

Aydann.
Rookie

Post by Aydann. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Victor Kros wrote:Anyway, the Convertible Mode trailer car was always parked during the convertible transitions as I said, so therefore there would be no reason to install fully functional electronics in a car that was supposed to barely be used throughout Season 4. To be safe, I would assume the production crew stickered the dashboard just in case it happened to slip into a shot or two, which obviously happened in "Knight Of the Juggernaut." But I believe that's the only time it ever occurred. Every other time you can tell it's the trailer car not only because the roof is retracting, but because a red handle can be seen hanging from the roof (check the scene in "Out Of the Woods" as an example).

Furthermore, I believe the actual functioning Convertible Mode Car also didn't have functioning electronics AND had a Seasons 1-2 dashboard. Since it's one of the few original screen-used vehicles from the original series, I've seen shots of it from the Cars Of the Stars museum with the 2-T.V. dash where in currently resides in England.

- Yes you are correct, the convertable version of KITT didn't have real functioning electronics (or tv's for that matter) and you can also clearly see in Knight of the Juggernaut that most of the displays are just mostly stickers and gels. Here is an exclusive shot from behind the scenes of KITTnap on page 559 in The Knight Rider Companion which gives you a clear idea of just how cheaply constructed the convertable dash really was. Keep in mind that the camera didn't usually focus on the dash itself on screen, mostly as you said the stationary transforming roof effects.

Enjoy and do not repost this image to any site without my expressed permission.

(psst is that a Comtron trailer I see? *grins*)

=VK=
I'm going to Check out that Episode.. Seems good from the Quick Preview!
One man can make a difference, Michael.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:31 pm

I was just watching Deadly Nightshade - Season 3 or 4.

The scene where Michael is chasing the magician (Lance Burton) down into the alley, KITT chases down that alley too. Now remember, this is the season, an an episode AFTER Knight of the Drones - so we are on the Two TV Dash. As you see KITT drive down there on his own, it's the TWO TV dash - but later on in the same show, when Michael drives, it's One TV.

And if you watch it later when again Kitt is driving on his own down there, and it's dark, you'll see that there are no lights on the dash. So it's either turned off - or it's a plastic dash like the pic posted above.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 am

Has anyone ever noticed that when you see michael in the car, with the camera closeup but with the top of the dash in view - it's obvious isn't not a 'proper' dash, because the strip where the 4 or 5 lights are (when KITT starts up beep, beeep...... ), the lights - in fact the entire jagged edge of them, is smooth!!

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 am

wow see what happens when your not on for a while huge debate going on here thought i could add my opinions if i could.
when the pilot was made they had 2 cars 1 stunt car and 1 hero car with a KITT dash and a fully functional mock up dash on the sound stage thats the dash you see the first time micheal sits in KITT and its probably the dash you see whenKITT breaks him out of jail later on (full lights on and monitors working) the hero car at that time lacked the detail (probably made in a hurry for the pilot) so you can see blunders
when the show was picked up they still only had 2 cars for some of the earlier episodes(i think by the end of the show they had something like 17 or 18
"deadly manouvers"if you look carefully at the scenes when KITT is in the firng range the car being used for he interior shots is the stunt car if you look closly you can see that the curve dash is really just a mock-up placed on top of the normal dash (look at the edge of the dash at the door the bottom of the dash is missing not to mention the funny wheel
"inside out"the car used in the scene above is probably the hero car from "deadly" as by then they probably had money behind them to build a better hero car and
"the final verdict" the whole in the seats and lack of switchpods would suggest the car used is a stunt car with a gullwing wheels put in place of a round one for the scene also i think the whole in the seat is probably fixing pionts for the canopy to hid the driver whenKITT is in auto cruise
"white bird" the stunt car used had no monitors in the car so its just empty
burial ground" the car used in the scene where KITT comes for micheal is the car i call auto-cruise2 this is a stunt car that jack gill had designed with a second streeing wheel on the passenger side so whrn KITT picked mk up mk could jump into KITT on the drivers side and not have the scene stopped another car put in place and the scene restarted also that car had the gullwing wheel installed so it looked better
"ice bandits" if you look at the chase scene at the end one shot shows david turning the gullwing wheel and finding it quite difficult to control hence the perference to use a normal round wheel(which im glad to say got smaller over the years as earlier episodes like slammin sammy the stunt wheel is quite noticible
"daedly nightshade"the car used in the scene where KITT tries to trap austin is the hero car from season 2 (i call it auto-cruise 1blind driver behind drivers seat) i asume that rather upgrade the dash for season 3 the built a new hero car and the season 2 hero car became a stunt car (or the auto-cruise car)in scene later when michealis dropped off by KITT and he heads for the back of the hotel the car used is auto cruise 2 as david gets out and KITT then pulls a 180 the blind driver is behind the passenger seat(curve dash but no electronics)
"the switchpods" there was more functions inKITT than buttons so what they did was put trasfers on the buttons and then remove them if you look closly at the scene in speed demons when micheal hits the ski-mode button the corner of the transfer had lifted
"silent knight"the hero car dash was used for normally long shots so the lights and dails didnt work the number 2 was fixed
these are my opinions on speculation some right and im sure some wrong
michael;i've got a problem.
devon;my dear boy,dont be so modest,you have a wide range of problems.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:12 am

Always when I see pic of Altair 8800 computer from the 70's it remindes me of KITT's original dash with those red LEDs :)
Attachments
1975_altair8800.jpg
1975_altair8800.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 32926 times

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 am

Haha.
Here's a good blunder for you:
When ever at any time in the entire series KITT played a music track - he always had the white tape going into the socket.

1) how much bloody music did he have on that tape
2) how come it was always 'cued up' to the right song at the right moment in the track (ie. Scent of Roses when he played that part of the music when they were on the beach).

Most of this is artistic license, but still..............

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit

Post by simon_a6 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

House of the Rising Sun (Tinika!)

After MK and that manager of the firm have a talk, after the fighting and MK says "fights on...", he drives off and going around a corner.

It's crystal clear if you pause the DVD that it's the 'straight' dash.

I know they kept the curved dashes away and used the straight ones for the possible accident stunts - but this was just going around a bend.

Will keep watching and update this post if I see more.

peterp&j
Operative

Post by peterp&j » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:01 pm

not sure to post this here or on gaffs and goofs but this thread is about blunders this is in my opinion the worst one for me its from"killer kitt" after kitt slams micheal into the newstand you can see clearly a pair of hands though the seat turning the wheel always hated the fact that they made it so obvious how kitt drove by himself even though we all knew how it was done to see it on screen was really crap and i would have shot the editor :x
michael;i've got a problem.
devon;my dear boy,dont be so modest,you have a wide range of problems.