Doing a model of the Knight 3000

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Doing a model of the Knight 3000

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:46 pm

I picked up the new 2008 GT500KR mustang kit from my local hobby store.

nice thing about this kit, is the stripes come in silver (like on the box, perfect for a future KARR :good:) or flat black like on KITT :mrgreen:. While there is no major change from the pilot movie car to the tv series car on the outside the interiors are obviously different. while I cannot exactly recreate the interior from the pilot or the tv show I decided to do this KITT MY way. I am making the interior a mishmash of pilot and series car. my car will have the full interior the series has with the red/black seats and door panels. but I do not care for the 'orb' in the center of the dash. so i plan on taking a screen cap of the pilot car's dash screen and reduce to scale and print it out. as for the steering wheel, i cannot find a scale MOMO one like the one in the pilot or the series so I am taking the kit wheel and modding it to something that would look good in either verison of the car...

i did this in a quick windows paint program i am not sure if i will have the red in the middle or not but silver spokes are staying. and when done it will have THIS plate on the back :good:.

for those of you you who want to make their own replica KITT cars here is a replica of the plate used in most of the episodes ;).

and those of you who want do do KARR (remember the GT500KR kit has stripes in black AND silver ;).) here is a KARR plate :mrgreen:

I will show pics as soon as I can :good:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Knightfan82
Rookie

Re: Doing a model of the Knight 3000

Post by Knightfan82 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Looking Forward to seeing it. I've had the same Idea, but finding the KR500 model has been hard for me. The closest I've found so far is a dicast of a Mustang consept. I may make it into KITT, But If I can find a KR500 I'll do it up as KARR instead.

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:36 pm

just remember to get the GT500KR kit. it has the hood with the 'nostrils' in it and the correct rims/tires that the GT500 kit does not have ;).

Atlantean2005
Recruit

Post by Atlantean2005 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Dave Knight wrote:I picked up the new 2008 GT500KR mustang kit from my local hobby store.

nice thing about this kit, is the stripes come in silver (like on the box, perfect for a future KARR :good:) or flat black like on KITT :mrgreen:. While there is no major change from the pilot movie car to the tv series car on the outside the interiors are obviously different. while I cannot exactly recreate the interior from the pilot or the tv show I decided to do this KITT MY way. I am making the interior a mishmash of pilot and series car. my car will have the full interior the series has with the red/black seats and door panels. but I do not care for the 'orb' in the center of the dash. so i plan on taking a screen cap of the pilot car's dash screen and reduce to scale and print it out. as for the steering wheel, i cannot find a scale MOMO one like the one in the pilot or the series so I am taking the kit wheel and modding it to something that would look good in either verison of the car...

i did this in a quick windows paint program i am not sure if i will have the red in the middle or not but silver spokes are staying. and when done it will have THIS plate on the back :good:.

for those of you you who want to make their own replica KITT cars here is a replica of the plate used in most of the episodes ;).

and those of you who want do do KARR (remember the GT500KR kit has stripes in black AND silver ;).) here is a KARR plate :mrgreen:

I will show pics as soon as I can :good:
I saw this post and had to laugh for a moment. I bought this EXACT model LAST night!! :lol: While I was pushing my mom around in a Hobby Lobby, she saw an older Shelby model and then I started looking for a newer one. Finally saw that one and I got really excited. And I mean REALLY excited because about 6 people looked at me funny when I found it! :D Haven't had time to put it together yet. Bad thing is, I bought a Firebird model last year that hasn't made it past the assembly line yet. :D Plus I need to get some paint before KITT can be born!

Shutting up now.... :?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Dave Knight wrote: Image
The letter "I" is the wrong font. The one used in the new series has a different looking letter "I". And the "California" is supposed to be the signature type. Thanks for sharing though!

Anyway, I'm happy with my 1/18 Mustang KITT..

Looking forward to seeing your completed model!

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 am

Good luck with your work man. keep us updated about the progress of your work. Image :kitt:

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:14 pm

how about these then?

:good:

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:32 pm

Doing the TV version is easy as apart from Auto transmission and globe in the dash it's standard & creating a globe is easy, simply put a LED into the dash.

thunder87
Recruit

Post by thunder87 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:03 am

andy-kitt wrote:Doing the TV version is easy as apart from Auto transmission and globe in the dash it's standard & creating a globe is easy, simply put a LED into the dash.
I'd prefer Duo LED 5mm - put a higher resistor on the red LED so the blue one is brighter than the red one. That's it (if they shall simply glow)

like this one
http://www.pur-led.de/product_info.php? ... -PLUS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My KR500 KI3T project
http://www.youtube.com/user/thund3rZX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_azyTpj8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; KI3T 1:18 mod video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6vAIEGUq70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; KI3T 1:18 mod video

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm

thunder87 wrote:
andy-kitt wrote:Doing the TV version is easy as apart from Auto transmission and globe in the dash it's standard & creating a globe is easy, simply put a LED into the dash.
I'd prefer Duo LED 5mm - put a higher resistor on the red LED so the blue one is brighter than the red one. That's it (if they shall simply glow)

like this one
http://www.pur-led.de/product_info.php? ... -PLUS.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've never seen duo LEDs before, hadn't even seen SMD LEDs either. Thanks you have been a great help with these models. :good:

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:08 am

well i don't want to put any lights on this model mainly cause i want to be able to open the hood and seeing wiring for the dash lights, and where would i put the battery etc. plus i do not care for the orb, i liked the pilot's dash better as i said this is K3K done MY way ;). but rest assured it will be nice when done :good:.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:21 am

Dave Knight wrote:well i don't want to put any lights on this model mainly cause i want to be able to open the hood and seeing wiring for the dash lights, and where would i put the battery etc. plus i do not care for the orb, i liked the pilot's dash better as i said this is K3K done MY way ;). but rest assured it will be nice when done :good:.
I wholeheartedly agree with you! Just paint the slot red or paste a red strip like I did. Thats the reason why I didn't choose to use electronics to light up the scanner for my 1/18 KI3T. Not only am I not good with wiring etc, I also don't want to have the trunk of the car filled with wires and battery to light up the scanner as well as wires under the hood. Cld pose a fire hazard maybe..lol..juz kiddin'.. Kinda like how thunder87's custom 1/18 KI3T is, the trunk in his model is filled with wires and battery for the scanner. But even so, his model looks good overall with the light up scanner. Gotta admit though, the scanner lighting up looks really cool on the 1/18 model.. But due to the wires issue, I'd rather not do it..

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 pm

imranbecks wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with you! Just paint the slot red or paste a red strip like I did. Thats the reason why I didn't choose to use electronics to light up the scanner for my 1/18 KI3T. Not only am I not good with wiring etc, I also don't want to have the trunk of the car filled with wires and battery to light up the scanner as well as wires under the hood. Cld pose a fire hazard maybe..lol..juz kiddin'.. Kinda like how thunder87's custom 1/18 KI3T is, the trunk in his model is filled with wires and battery for the scanner. But even so, his model looks good overall with the light up scanner. Gotta admit though, the scanner lighting up looks really cool on the 1/18 model.. But due to the wires issue, I'd rather not do it..
Hiding all those wires isn't easy, and then the bonnet doesn't close properly or base fit properly any more, there is alot more work involved over coming these issues. Fitting electronics isn't as easy as some prople may originally think so don't blame you for keeping it simple and have the feeling that it is yours as you have done your own tweeks, what ever they may be. :good:

coondawg45
Volunteer

Post by coondawg45 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:54 pm

Dave,
I am currently working on the same model. I had the same idea about using the monitor on the middle dash from the pilot. Do you have a good pic that I can use for that part of the dash? All of my pics are extremely blurry and I can't clear them up. Have you had any luck at that or recreated an image?