Option: What about USA or Sci-Fi?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

calhoun24
Recruit

Option: What about USA or Sci-Fi?

Post by calhoun24 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Hear me out.

Even though it's most likely already decided (hopefully not), we've been marching along with the hopes that NBC will renew the show [i}on NBC{/i}.

But NBC Universal does have other networks at their disposal: Bravo, Sci-Fi, and most notable, USA.

So why not propose that they renew the show, but move it to another network, preferably USA, in order to let it grow, while solving their NBC network woes? They did it for Law and Order: Criminal Intent, and shows like Burn Notice, Monk, Psych, and In Plain Sight have all had success there. I see KITT fitting into their "Characters Welcome" campaign. That, and NBC Universal will still be able to own the show, with the move giving the show's staff some wiggle room to work with.

The show would also work with Sci-Fi, but I would prefer them not to go there, since they seem to be tied up with Sanctuary, the Stargate franchise, Battlestar Galactica, and have been a little more prone to go further from their sci-fi roots. This would be a secondary option.

It would free up an hour on NBC, the show would be renewed, USA would have another show to add to their rotating lineup (giving the show to work on storylines while not having to adhere to the stricter network guidelines of the mother network), and we as fans are happy gets to live another season.

What do you think?
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

scorbing
Recruit

Re: Option: What about USA or Sci-Fi?

Post by scorbing » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Dude if you see my posts, I have been suggesting and saying this for the longest time. I'm glad someone finally thinks the same way I do. Knight Rider has a better chance to make it at Sci-Fi or USA than it does at NBC...Period.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:16 pm

I think a lot of people are missing the point. KR08 wasn't really a creative driven product. It was a business driven product. The two things are as different as night and day. The former is something where concessions will be made to maintain the artistic integrity of the product. The later is something where the artistic integrity will be compromised for the sake of the business goals. Its important to note the following about KR08:

"According to a Ford press release regarding the deal, the company says that Knight Rider is more than just the product integration of a Ford vehicle into a plot line; it's also a media sponsorship with commercials and promotions for Ford products interjected throughout the two hour program. For instance, Knight Rider provided Ford with the opportunity to showcase its new SYNC voice activated information and entertainment technology (for the Focus and Edge) into the storyline. The arrangement also allowed NBC and Ford to co-promote both the movie and the cars at special events, in theaters, in print, and on the internet."
http://mustangs.about.com/od/modelyearp ... der-kr.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What this means is that Ford is highly unlikely to support the show if it switches over to cable since cable means less viewership and consequently a diminished market to showcase their products. If Ford bails out of the deal there is no KR08 b/c the whole point of KR08 was to provide a unique media platform for Ford's products, not to bring back a creatively worthy successor to TOS. The series doesn't have the ratings to survive as a creative driven show and moving it to another NBC Universal affiliated network is not something NBC would do unless Ford maintained sponsorship which for the reasons mentioned is not likely.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:54 pm

While the ratings for KR08 have not been the top, it has consistently stayed in the top 10, mostly the top 5 of that
10. So I'd be willing to venture that NBC's gonna renew it. I think they'd only cancel if it falls into the bottom 5
of the top 10, or lower. They could run repeat eps on Sci-Fi or USA, but I believe it'll be back in the fall.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:37 pm

the Rerun on other networks is good idea, but cant we do it now?
I mean dont get me wrong, I am not living in the US so what I say may be already been done. can the episod that is shown on Wednesday get repeated on other networks thet following days? that will be a big attraction for bigger number of viewers Image :kitt:

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Personally, I presume nothing is a done deal. (I'm a poker player, and this is always the case.) I'm not saying we're going to get canned, but there's no indication we're going to go on either. All I'm saying is cover the bases, just in case.

scorbing, sorry about that. I've been busy, and it never occured to me that someone else on this board had the same, if not similar idea.

Hopefully, NBC will renew it, and everything will be right with the world.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:50 pm

I really hope they do renew it but i have a gut feeling that they won't. The situation reaks of what they did to Vegas last year. Show ended in february and then never mentioned it again. Although you would think they would learn from their mistakes. Vegas did really well in the ratings on fridays and they replaced it this year with Crusoe and look how well that worked out for them. We are consistent in our ratings and up against HUGE obsticles in Dancing and Idol and look what happened when we didn't have either of them competing a couple weeks ago, we had a big spike in numbers. I really hope that they realize this when making their decision. Does anyone know who's decision it is? Woudl it be Angela Bromstead or Ben Silverman?

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:03 pm

Knight316 wrote:I really hope they do renew it but i have a gut feeling that they won't. The situation reaks of what they did to Vegas last year. Show ended in february and then never mentioned it again. Although you would think they would learn from their mistakes. Vegas did really well in the ratings on fridays and they replaced it this year with Crusoe and look how well that worked out for them. We are consistent in our ratings and up against HUGE obsticles in Dancing and Idol and look what happened when we didn't have either of them competing a couple weeks ago, we had a big spike in numbers. I really hope that they realize this when making their decision. Does anyone know who's decision it is? Woudl it be Angela Bromstead or Ben Silverman?
What makes KR unique is how everything is structured. The joint venture makes it different than a normal show. The two major players in KR are NBC and Ford. Either one could end the deal but NBC has more at stake than Ford. Ford got the better end of the deal since they had a chance to advertise their products for a year through KR. NBC got shafted since the show has been annihilated by critics and is a major contributor in making NBC the laughing stock of network TV. Its for these reasons why I believe if NBC said no more to KR, Ford wouldn't object.

From what I've been reading it seems Bromstad is the major player over at NBC since people aren't happy with Silverman's executive decisions. But what's telling to me is Bromstad's recent comments which strongly suggest that her primary goal is to make NBC a ratings and programming leader again. With this in mind, I don't see how KR fits into her vision and direction for NBC. Like it or not KR has a stigma attached to it since its been incessantly hammered by critics for a year. If I were Bromstad and my goal was to make the network a leader in programming again, canceling KR would be a first step in bringing credibility back to NBC.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:45 pm

As long as the show is renewed for a second season I do not care if it's on NBC, SciFi or USA.

bucksanass1
Volunteer

Post by bucksanass1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:13 pm

I believe personally that NBC has lost focus on there parent network in a prime time slot and tends to focus on cable viewers until late night then Leno, Conan, now Jimmy so it would actually probably do better on USA do to the fact that the promotions dept of the subsidiary network would put a hire focus on the promotion of the Knight Rider franchise. NBC has set a high price for advertising in prime time on the parent network so advertising a show with mediocre ratings is a bad business venture to them, if they have little hope in it then why waste funds on it. however if they had plans to increase the value of the market slot they would promote the living sh@% out of it to make a few additional mill. a year to offset the cost off production.
The reboot was something that the execs. weren't thrilled about ,but has actually gone really well(just showing you the execs at NBC have lost touch), but unfortunately in MHO G.S.T. and the rest of the production crew of KR08 should have had that focus from the start,..... Oh, and instead of Graimen as a focal point desinger of KITT they should've tied into TOS by using one of the Origanal 3 builders plus Barstow. Bruce Davidson could have played at least 2 of the 4 ( not Yamoto or Barstow for obvious reasons :lol: )

To summarize in MHO too little too late unfortunately because I am a fan and like the direction their going now and the possibility of a second season KARR ep. would be great not to mention 1/2 through th 2nd season I could realistically see a spot for Hasselhoff to be wrote in as an adviser or something of the like and possibly even bring in W. Daniels as the original voice of KITT again as a stand alone A.I> in the KITTcave for an ep. or to

N E waze sorry for the long post just thinking out loud in cyberspace 8)