Why was TKR disliked so much?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Why was TKR disliked so much?

Post by imranbecks » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:07 am

Other than the eye candy from the leading actresses in TKR, the series was a mistake. It was a mistake to have a team of drivers. The formula for Knight Rider will always be one man and his AI car. To have a team was a mess that just did not work out well imo..

vampire knight
Rookie

Post by vampire knight » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:10 pm

I remember watching it when it first aired and enjoying it somewhat. Although in the end I was disappointed, it just lacked the "x" factor of the original. It could have worked if the cars were a bit more modified and the characters developed a bit more. Of course that it had very very few tie ins to the original series didn't help it.

I did recently watch the KRO episode on hulu right after I watched the new KR's KARR episode and if I ignore the really really bad special effects even for their time, I think the KRO episode was better. It certainly had more action not just a few seconds of KARR at the end.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:02 am

I have seen couple of videos on youtube. I didnt like it at all Image :kitt:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:30 am

I always referred to Team Knight Rider as the fan fiction that got a budget. It got things wrong. It ran with interpretations that, had the writers checked with the KRO community, could have been avoided. It made the talking personalities the key to the cars. (And, as a classic KARR line states, speech is the least of the impressive list of abilities.) It put KITT into a coffee can and called a "scarecrow" with some 80's style clothes "Michael". It turned the Foundation into a military branch. (Well...so did the current show for the first few episodes...if I caught the references correctly.) They even listed Michael's missions in print out form...ON CAMERA. Freeze frame and read it. Looks exactly like a paragraph description of each original episode from "somebody's" web site.

TKR. The KR 2010 remake that sort of/kind of figured out how to be legally stealing the original's concept. The overblown fan fiction series.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:17 am

Well...so did the current show for the first few episodes...if I caught the references correctly.
Don't take my word on it... but I think in the new show, the Foundation doesn't exist anymore- or something to that effect. It was Knight Industries, and especially the Knight Research department that was -I assume- contracted by the government. The show was never particularly clear about any of it, but that's my interpretation of it.

By the way, TKR does sound like fanfiction material. It's funny how an actual "final episode" fanfic that was posted several years back in fanfiction.net fits in so well with the series. It's a pretty decent one, too.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:21 am

Either way, if I had to choose between TKR and the new Knight Rider series, I'd go for the new Knight Rider series any day!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:09 am

imranbecks wrote:Either way, if I had to choose between TKR and the new Knight Rider series, I'd go for the new Knight Rider series any day!
Agreed X2, the 2008 Knight Rider series was ten times better than Knight Rider 2000 and 8 times better Team Knight Rider.
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 am

I was thrilled to see anything related to KR after TOS so this series did ok with me but ya it took the cheese and ran with it. I hardly ever seen any of the cars driving themselves and opening doors, moving the gear shifter, and gas pedal and them little things really made me happy. KR08 is also lackng in these aspects but it is better. Now the reason i like TKR the most is that they finally used an import vehicle with K.R.O. the Ferrari really had a AI attitude with it with the exotic sounding exaust and the fast looking low stance it gave. Now the voice was off, why not just us a mafia voice ;) and the interior laser castration tool was so retarded...why destroy your own corinthain leather seat??!! LOL I did think the coolest Ford vehicle in TKR was Domino as the rest of them where too ricey :).
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Glissard wrote:It would've been nice if the car's al least had scanners on them.
They did. If you think the "Find the ComTron truck" game is hard, try making a game out of finding those scanner bars on the TKR cars.
Glissard wrote:Plus the AI in each car was too human and not enough computing.

Example. If anyone remembers. the red Mustang's female AI just wanted to flirt and possibly f@¢* any good looking male character that came into rang.

... That's messed up.
Very poorly mentioned as to why this is. However, their vehicle AI personalities were created from the mind's of the driver's, themselves.

In my opinion, placing a portion of the chaotic Human mind into the logic circuits of a computer is asking for total and complete trouble. Behind the wheel of a massive hunk of powerful metal; double so. Armed? Make that a tripple threat latte, if you please.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:35 am

imranbecks wrote:Either way, if I had to choose between TKR and the new Knight Rider series, I'd go for the new Knight Rider series any day!
this is true man. KR08 is the best thing till now that goes after tOS Image :kitt:

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:40 pm

The only good thing that I will have to say about TKR, is that they at least had "Jack Gill" as the stunt cordinator for a few episodes.
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"