They sure like the word "douche"

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightofthephoenix
Operative

They sure like the word "douche"

Post by knightofthephoenix » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:12 pm

What's up with this? I know I’ll come off sounding like Mr. Morality here, but why the need for so many “douches” in recent episodes?

Not saying this is the only thing, but way to just write off any younger demographics. I would guess most parents wouldn’t be thrilled either hearing their kids repeat this, or even funnier- asking them what it means.

snafu
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: They sure like the word "douche"

Post by snafu » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:29 pm

It's rather popular around here. (college) I use it myself occasionally.

I think it's stupid diologue for the age of Mike and Sarah. You think an ex- military man and a lab geek could come up with something more creative to say.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:56 pm

i guess to me the word douche is just like say... scumbag, orjerk... it just sounds bad...

i mean... a douche bag is something... that is not a curse.. so... it just sounds that way... derogatory... sure.. but you know
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:39 pm

I think they should change for some other words from time to time. for me, it sounds they are sponsered by a company called "douche" and they keep repeating is name!!!! whats wrong with using other words insted??? Image :kitt:

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 am

Douche nozzle.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:00 am

I'm hearing it all over network TV now too. Perhaps the network censors have recently made it an acceptable word? Our ears are not used to hearing it in prime time so we notice it more than other words.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:21 am

I still say there's a Summer's Eve sponsorship somewhere! <_< >_>

What???

Okay, I'll go back to being quiet now... I still need to rewatch the last two episodes. :shock:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

TallSox08
Volunteer

Post by TallSox08 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 am

I have come to think of it as just a favorite saying or catchphrase of some of the characters. All characters on TV have them, why not MIke and the rest? :D

Granted, it doesn't quite have the iconic nature of "D'oh!" "I see nothing, nothing!" or "Kiss my grits!" but all kinds of characters had a favorite name they called people. Archie Bunker had "Meathead," Red Forman had "Dumbass," and now Michael Knight has "douche" or some derivative of the word. :)

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:47 am

TallSox08 wrote:I have come to think of it as just a favorite saying or catchphrase of some of the characters. All characters on TV have them, why not MIke and the rest? :D

Granted, it doesn't quite have the iconic nature of "D'oh!" "I see nothing, nothing!" or "Kiss my grits!" but all kinds of characters had a favorite name they called people. Archie Bunker had "Meathead," Red Forman had "Dumbass," and now Michael Knight has "douche" or some derivative of the word. :)
If it's Mike's catchphrase, why is everyone else using it too? Sarah, that kid with the XBOx. Watch, KITT will pick up on it eventually, and he'll ether ask what's up with all the douches or call Mike one.

>_>

It could happen!

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:13 am

Can they say doucebag or is it just douche that people have heard on tv? I know they say ass on broadcast tv but I don't think they allowed to say a-hole yet. These censors crack me up sometimes.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:11 am

I think you can say a-hole on network tv after a certain time at night now. Definitely on basic cable.

"Knight Rider is brought to you by Summer's Eve"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 am

Since it's an 8 P.M. show, I'm sure "douche" is the most risque word they can get away with, especially being a "kid's" show. It's like Knight Rider's equivalent of 24's "dammit!" and "son of a bitch" in every episode, but that's a 9 P.M. show which might make a big difference in prime time television? Plus the fact that it's not one of the 7 dirty words that can't be said on television, which I can't repeat here for obvious reasons. :)
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:33 pm

There's old douche commercials on Youtube that are so lame they give a whole new dimension to the word. (hint from the ladies: douches do not send us into the joyous hysterics/reflective moments that these commercials allude to....)
Around here "douche" or "douchebag" expresses an annoying or irritating person, not someone evil or criminal, which is why I thought it out of place for Mike to call the drug runner a douche.

Of course, like others said, they can't really use anything stronger that's a cuss word.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:03 pm

SD_Chick wrote:There's old douche commercials on Youtube that are so lame they give a whole new dimension to the word. (hint from the ladies: douches do not send us into the joyous hysterics/reflective moments that these commercials allude to....)
Of course, like others said, they can't really use anything stronger that's a cuss word.
Thats good to hear, I was getting slightly worried the next KR commercial might say "Knight Rider - powered by Massengill"
A drunk man walks into a bar and orders a drink. While he waits for the bartender to mix his cocktail, he notices a woman alone at the end of the bar. When his drink comes, he says, "Hey b-b-b-artender. Give that douche bag at the end of the bar a drink for me."

The bartender tells the drunk to keep his voice down, but the drunk is belligerent. "Give that douche bag at a drink, dammit!" he shouts.

The bartender becomes angry. "Sir, I will not permit you to sit here and call the lady names."

The drunk persists. "For the last time, bartender, bring me my drink and give that douche bag down there a drink, too!"

Attempting to quell the growing disturbance, the bartender approaches the woman and apologizes for the behavior of the drunk. "The gentleman insists upon buying you a drink, ma'am. What can I get for you?"

The woman replies, "Oh,... I'll have a vinegar and water, please!"
Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 pm

I see nothing wrong with it. Douche is about as dirty as scumbag. And what is a scumbag, kids? First, answer me what scum is.

And we've been hearing crap like this since we were kids and thought nothing of it. 8)

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:05 am

Seems the word douchebag is a staple GST's shows. In Las Vegas Ed Deline seemed to call someone a douchebag at least once an ep.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Makes you laugh really, I get the censorship issues but damn. You should see & hear some of of the crap that gets said on UK tv and nobody bats an eyelid, I wont give examples as this is supposed to be family friendly but Im sure anyone else from dreary old Blighty knows what I mean.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:05 pm

As I'm sure you already know calling somebody a "douche" or a "douche bag" isn't very polite and should obviously not be taken as a compliment. Although, whenever I see or hear the word "douche" I kinda smirk a bit because it reminds me of a friend of mine who mistakenly referred to the all known movie with Keira Knightly "The Duchess" for "The Douches"... :D
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

KittKattBar
Volunteer

Post by KittKattBar » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:22 pm

If the Supreme Court rules this June that the FCC has no constitutional authority over broadcast TV, we might start hearing a lot more colorful words if the show gets a second season. :-D
My next car will be a 2010 Shelby Mustang!

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 pm

man people get over it this is 2008 man! Why does everyone have something so minor to complain about in a tv show? Honestly i have no bloody problem with them using the word douche at all. Just get over it your not the writers. Sorry if i sound like an a-hole here myself but im sick of all the minor complaints from people :twisted: :good:
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:28 pm

weeezl wrote:Makes you laugh really, I get the censorship issues but damn. You should see & hear some of of the crap that gets said on UK tv and nobody bats an eyelid, I wont give examples as this is supposed to be family friendly but Im sure anyone else from dreary old Blighty knows what I mean.
I know right. I watch Most Haunted which by the way is my favorite british television show ever cause im into ghosts and paranormal stuff. and they get away with saying the f word and i mean every bad word LOL. Accept for a womens private part thats about the only word they do not use :P

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:51 pm

_K3000_ wrote:man people get over it this is 2008 man! Why does everyone have something so minor to complain about in a tv show? Honestly i have no bloody problem with them using the word douche at all. Just get over it your not the writers. Sorry if i sound like an a-hole here myself but im sick of all the minor complaints from people :twisted: :good:
It's actually 2009, douche.

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:05 pm

knightofthephoenix wrote:
_K3000_ wrote:man people get over it this is 2008 man! Why does everyone have something so minor to complain about in a tv show? Honestly i have no bloody problem with them using the word douche at all. Just get over it your not the writers. Sorry if i sound like an a-hole here myself but im sick of all the minor complaints from people :twisted: :good:
:lol: very funny i know it is. im refering to the name Knight rider 08. so sorry this is 2009 so get over it their happy now

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:04 pm

Last episode introduced a new word instead of douche:

Assclown.
That one really made me laugh... :mrgreen: :lol:
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:12 pm

_K3000_ wrote:
knightofthephoenix wrote:
:lol: very funny i know it is. im refering to the name Knight rider 08. so sorry this is 2009 so get over it their happy now
Oh I figured that's what you meant. :D

As I sort of alluded to in my original post, I really didn't want to sound like a douche and I'm not a big censorship person either. But from the beginning, I think one of the big mistakes made with this series has been its focus on the teen demographic. While this is a different KR and it isn't the 80s anymore, the old series was much more successful at targeting different age groups. It was a show that was harmless enough for a 5 year old to watch, yet also have enough story and action to entertain whichever parent watched it with them.

Think about it. You have a show about a talking car and the cool guy who drives it. Who is really more likely to want to watch something like that and bring in more ratings? Teens who hang out at the mall? I just don't understand why they wouldn't consider younger demographics with this show too. Their focus just seems too narrow.

Any parent who heard words like "douche" repeatedly or saw stuff like Mike and Sarah banging in Hawaii, etc. most likely tuned out their household for good that night. Lost viewers = Lost ratings. When you think of it that way, do either of those things really make the show better?

Anyway that’s what I was getting at. I obviously wouldn’t have sat here typing all this if I just wanted to bust on KR 2008 and see it fail.