Knight Rider 08: The Game

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

EdwardKnoxII
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider 08: The Game

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:37 am

Ok in the last few years there have been 2 video games based on TOS that have been least then great were all you do is drive around in Kitt. Well lets say that made a video game based on the new KR how would you do it?

I would base it on the GTA games and have the game be a open world sandbox. You would play as Mike as you drive Kitt on different missons. You would report to the SSC to get your mission but, you can drive around and do other side missions.

You would start off the game with basic fighting, shooting, and driving moves but, as move along the game you would learn/unlock more moves, abilities, and weapons. Kitt would also have basic abilities but, as you move along you would unlock more gadgets and abilities. Like stronger nanotech skin, higher turbo boosts, etc. Also, Kitt would only transform into attack mode.

Some missions you would use Kitt to chase and take out the bad guy or be Mike and sneak around the bad guy's hideout taking out henchmen. And you would get points for how you would take out the bad guys. Lethal (killing them) or nonlethal (not kill them). Even have some missions were you play as just Kitt as you have to resuce Mike, Sarah, etc. And even have a 2 player co-op modes were you play as Mike and your friend plays as Kitt.

The last boss battle would be against Karr but, the fight would be longer and better then what it was in the show. :D

And that's my idea for a KR08 game.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Re: Knight Rider 08: The Game

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:27 am

Sounds pretty good, I especially like the idea of playing as KITT and rescuing his Team. ^_^

Throw in a fair dose of humor and I would buy a game like that.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:13 am

I would like to have this game. maybe it will happen :wink: :kitt:

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:17 am

I've been drooling over the idea of a decent Knight Rider game for a very, very, very long time. When Davilex was handling the IP, it was the beginning of the open-world craze, so most of us (myself included) wanted a GTA-clone Knight Rider. And while that would have its advantages (roam around the city, trying KITT's features, helping unrelated pedestrians in side-missions, flirting in the classic Bond style etc.), there is one little problem that would probably hamper the title dramatically: it would be very hard to properly utilize KITT.

I mean, you have the super-car. And, seeing how this isn't the '80s anymore, the talking and the jumping alone won't cut it (same issue the show had to deal with). A sandbox game would have to go out of its way to truly put KITT to use, beyond Turbo Boost, ski mode, maybe a few weapons and attack mode (or SPM, if we're talking original). Therein lies the problem with a Knight Rider game in general, but even more with a GTA-clone, which will inevitably switch the focus to Mike/Michael from the awesome car.

That's not to say it's an impossibility. But it'd have to be very careful and use a few gimmicks. Maybe that's why it would probably be better to go about such a game with the original series and an '80s setting, where you could at least replicate the '80s atmosphere. That would also make it easier for the hero to stand out, as in the technology-condensed era of today, the talking car is a little more than an impressive weapon.

If they had in mind to do a game based on the current show, they'd be better off with a somewhat more linear style. Say, 20 missions, split (not necessarily evenly) between Mike and KITT with refined controls and actions.

RC-1337
Recruit

Post by RC-1337 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:01 am

Well, there's a KR mod for GTA: San Andreas, which got KI2T, it's various versions, KARR, KI3T and it's various versions (All with working scanner, abilities and voice), Goliath, Semi, That_Tank_thingy_from_S04E01-02, and many more.

So if you want a sandbox game with KITT - take a look at it.

knightindustriesmodding.com

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:55 pm

EdwardKnoxII wrote:Ok in the last few years there have been 2 video games based on TOS that have been least then great were all you do is drive around in Kitt. Well lets say that made a video game based on the new KR how would you do it?

I would base it on the GTA games and have the game be a open world sandbox. You would play as Mike as you drive Kitt on different missons. You would report to the SSC to get your mission but, you can drive around and do other side missions.

You would start off the game with basic fighting, shooting, and driving moves but, as move along the game you would learn/unlock more moves, abilities, and weapons. Kitt would also have basic abilities but, as you move along you would unlock more gadgets and abilities. Like stronger nanotech skin, higher turbo boosts, etc. Also, Kitt would only transform into attack mode.

Some missions you would use Kitt to chase and take out the bad guy or be Mike and sneak around the bad guy's hideout taking out henchmen. And you would get points for how you would take out the bad guys. Lethal (killing them) or nonlethal (not kill them). Even have some missions were you play as just Kitt as you have to resuce Mike, Sarah, etc. And even have a 2 player co-op modes were you play as Mike and your friend plays as Kitt.

The last boss battle would be against Karr but, the fight would be longer and better then what it was in the show. :D

And that's my idea for a KR08 game.
Awesome Idea you should pitch to a game company to see how it goes... :good:

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:20 pm

NeoRanger wrote:I've been drooling over the idea of a decent Knight Rider game for a very, very, very long time. When Davilex was handling the IP, it was the beginning of the open-world craze, so most of us (myself included) wanted a GTA-clone Knight Rider. And while that would have its advantages (roam around the city, trying KITT's features, helping unrelated pedestrians in side-missions, flirting in the classic Bond style etc.), there is one little problem that would probably hamper the title dramatically: it would be very hard to properly utilize KITT.

I mean, you have the super-car. And, seeing how this isn't the '80s anymore, the talking and the jumping alone won't cut it (same issue the show had to deal with). A sandbox game would have to go out of its way to truly put KITT to use, beyond Turbo Boost, ski mode, maybe a few weapons and attack mode (or SPM, if we're talking original). Therein lies the problem with a Knight Rider game in general, but even more with a GTA-clone, which will inevitably switch the focus to Mike/Michael from the awesome car.

That's not to say it's an impossibility. But it'd have to be very careful and use a few gimmicks. Maybe that's why it would probably be better to go about such a game with the original series and an '80s setting, where you could at least replicate the '80s atmosphere. That would also make it easier for the hero to stand out, as in the technology-condensed era of today, the talking car is a little more than an impressive weapon.

If they had in mind to do a game based on the current show, they'd be better off with a somewhat more linear style. Say, 20 missions, split (not necessarily evenly) between Mike and KITT with refined controls and actions.
I'm with NeoRanger on this one - a sandbox game is a great idea, but it might not fit the premise very well. A linear game might parallel the TV format better - you've got scripted events within "episodes" which would serve as missions, but there are multiple paths that the story can take depending on how well you do. The game, then, could end up having the same dramatic moments as the TV show, via interactive and non-interactive cutscenes.

Has anyone ever played Stuntman: Ignition? I enjoyed that game, and I imagine that driving gameplay could be something like that...except that during the driving gameplay, there would be dialogue between Michael and Kitt ('82 or '08, doesn't matter - Kitt speaking would be better than the generic "Hit the gap! Hit the action button!"). If you do badly while you drive, the episode doesn't end - it just branches to a new scenario (until the end of the episode, where you get a bad ending and have the option to do it again).

There could be unlockable achievements for certain things, similar to Stuntman: Ignition, certain goals that you have to meet (and this would fit well into the X360 environment). Stuff like Turbo Boosting a certain distance or something, or hitting a certain speed, or maintaining a certain speed during a chase. Unlockable achievements for getting the best ending of an episode, instead of a mediocre or bad ending. Anything, really. Replayable episodes would work really well for this.

Additionally, with the episode format, you can have cutscenes with Mike and Kitt driving, with the classic dialogue between the two - without any time restraints.

As for the Michael Knight part....I don't really have any ideas here. Something from a third-person view would probably work best - there would be combat possibilities, armed and unarmed, and you could contact Kitt for certain information....but if they made a Knight Rider game, I think this would be the problematic part for the developers. The driving....they could make a great game with that, but playing levels as Michael would have to involve some type of gimmick to be interesting, and it would probably flop. Well....maybe unless they had mission objectives, or something like that....like, Save the Damsel, or Find the Object....and once you hit a certain trigger, a cutscene takes over. (Just so if you're looking for an item, or a clue, you aren't stuck trying to pick it up or anything - just get within a short range of it, and your character notices and starts the cutscene.)

I think it could be pretty fun, if done well, and I think that the episode format would work well and provide a lot of replayability. However, odds are, if it's made, it'll be a mediocre game at best - a lot of TV-to-game conversions are.

Edited 1 time in total. -lunchmeat
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

the original KITT
Operative

Post by the original KITT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Yes base the game like GTA. But on the original series as we love it so much. You can play Michael and KI2T in the game.

You can drive into the Semi etc etc Basically do anything u wish to do. That would be cool.

Knight rider 1/2 the game, u feel the car is very slow and hasn't got responsive handling.

Garth and KARR shall also be one. (Maybe Garth didn't die, KARR is alive but Garth rebuilds him - could becasue he may know the people involved and force them to rebuild all the systems - he also knows the formula for the molecular bonded shell)
Michael:“KITT I NEED YAH!”
Kitt:“ON MY WAY MICHAEL!”

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Eh, this is a better video of the Stuntman: Ignition gameplay than the link I provided before. Imagine this, but with Kitt....and, uh, cars chasing you (or you chasing cars) in a different environment. And instead of the annoying stunt dude... "hit the gap" or "drift turn right!" you'd have Michael/Kitt dialogue, with the occasional "It's time for turbo boost, Kitt" or "Michael, may I suggest Ski Mode?" when you need to hit the action button at the right time. It'd work well - this game actually had a James Bond parody sequence with the Aston Martin, and a Dukes of Hazzard parody as well... and it worked incredibly well. (This video isn't that, though.)

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/772039/s ... 32207.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Dr. Graiman
Rookie

Post by Dr. Graiman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:28 am

http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider/games/KnightRacing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...that's a new game... sadly i'm not a good player :roll:
knight rider game.jpg
knight rider game.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 19567 times

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:45 am

After hearing all this news about the show, I dont think we can have the chance to enjoy a game based on the new series. dont get me wrong, I am a big supporter of KR. but Those NBC big heads are giving us any good signs :kitt:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Dr. Graiman wrote:http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider/games/KnightRacing/
...that's a new game... sadly i'm not a good player :roll:
That game is fun! :good: It helps to read the instructions first. :mrgreen: I love how they have a FLAG truck that comes and fixes you.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

RC-1337
Recruit

Post by RC-1337 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Pff, a Classic Spyhunter rip-off... =\

Not the best one either.

P.S. By the way, I really recommend playing Spyhunter series on the PS2: it's also about the [talking - in Spyhunter2] supercar with slightly more realistic transformations :D

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:42 pm

Even though it's a Spyhunter rip-off, it's not bad for a flash game! :)
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Is it me or does the car in that game look more like KI2T than KI3T?

As for the game, it'd be very difficult to truly make the game both man-based, car-based, open ended/sandbox huge 3ds world. It would work if some of the levels were car based and some were man based.

I agree about GTA not being the best style. but it can be done.

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:34 am

If you really want to play a KR game play this one it's pretty good. http://www.online-game.tv/play/knight-rider" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

colley
Volunteer

Post by colley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 am

My ideal Knight Rider game would be made by people who made the Saints Row series. They know how to make a good sandbox game, without trying to focus too much on "realism" like the GTA games do. They also know how to blend driving and on-foot action rather well.

Initial setup of the game would involve whoever the main villian turned out to be finding a way to screw with KITT's systems at the start, disabling many of the advanced functions. Essentially putting KITT the way he was when he and Mike battled KARR a few weeks ago. Leveling up in the game would be equated to "repair time" needed to bring all the other functions back online, like Attack Mode, 4X4 mode, and what not.

Map a button on the controller to a "KITT, I need you," command, to summon KITT when you wind up far away, and need a quick get away, or to give chase.

Unlockables could include the ability to replay the game with either Original KITT (With SPM replacing Attack Mode) or KIFT (with the ability to drive on water, natch.)

RC-1337
Recruit

Post by RC-1337 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:31 am

colley wrote:My ideal Knight Rider game would be made by people who made the Saints Row series.
You've got to be kidding me. I'd rather have Nintendo develop it...

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:31 am

RC-1337 wrote:
colley wrote:My ideal Knight Rider game would be made by people who made the Saints Row series.
Then it would only be for the Wii!And I play all my games on a PC!It would attract a bigger crowd if it were available for all platforms instead of just the Wii.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:30 am

Agreed! I don't have any of the next gen systems yet. SO I would like to play it on the PC< or my DS. ^_^ A Lego Knight Rider game would rawk by the way. They could totally do KITT's transformations easily there.

RC-1337
Recruit

Post by RC-1337 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:
RC-1337 wrote:
Then it would only be for the Wii!And I play all my games on a PC!It would attract a bigger crowd if it were available for all platforms instead of just the Wii.
lol, I'm just hinting at the fact how bad SR's developers are... ;p

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:21 pm

THQ has turned in some pretty good games. Personally, I've enjoyed SR2 more than any other sandbox game- certainly more than GTAIV.

Still, I stand by my earlier statement that sandbox is not the best genre for a Knight Rider game.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:20 pm

Saints Row 2 certainly has a bit more of a cartoon like approach than the likes of GTAIV,
although I was slightly disappointed that SR2 only used a slightly tweaked version of
the Havok graphics engine used in the original SR game.

Having said that, there is a way of getting a sort of Knight Rider-esque car in SR2, that
can appear to be a strange hybrid of the old KITT with elements of the new KITT.

Grab a Magma, take it to one of the Rim Jobs garages, customise it with black paint,
a T-top roof, plus any of the other available customisations, and you end up with a
a car with looks a little bit like the old KITT at the front, with a back end similar
to that of the Shelby Mustang used as the new KITT.

The end result can seem like the new KITT has made an attempt to transform into
his 1980's predecessor, but gave up or got stuck part way through transformation!

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:31 pm

That's funny! That type of game would be good for the PS3. I still wnat a Lego Knight Rider game for the DS though. Whenever KI3T needs to change into another car, Mike could just smack him into pieces and rebuild him!

71KR117
Stranger

Post by 71KR117 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Yeah that would be cool. There could be a mission where KI3T meets KI2T. :good:
:spm:
KITT is the GREATEST car of our generation!