KR 2008 UK Viewer

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Mad Max Smart
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KR 2008 UK Viewer

Post by Mad Max Smart » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Everyone,
I may be about to cause a storm in a tea cup here, but what the heck.

I'm in the UK and the only way i'm able to watch the new show is via downloading the episodes the day after airing and have a few friends who are in the same situation.

Obviously my viewing is not appearing in the ratings for this show and when it finally gets shown in the UK I've seen the episodes, so won't tune as much. but i can't wait that long.

I'm a huge fan of KR old, new and the movies and don't want it to leave our screens through low viewing figures.

really I'm just wondering if NBC can tell how many people are downloading the episodes to give themselves a real opinion on how many viewers this show is getting.

The new show is getting better and better with each episode and more people will be catching up.
Since the mid season reboot it's felt a lot more like the original series.
The cast has a great chemistry on screen and are believable in their roles.

Are there any other fans on the forum that are walking the same thin line between illegally downloading and fan of the new series?

Mart

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Re: KR 2008 UK Viewer

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:56 am

really I'm just wondering if NBC can tell how many people are downloading the episodes to give themselves a real opinion on how many viewers this show is getting.
Considering this is the same network that aired a special "3D" episode of Chuck, just to show that theirs is bigger than the others', I doubt they're particularly interested in how many people abroad illegally download the episodes (and this is by no means criticism from my part, I assure you).

Having said that, there might be some ways to show your support for the show; you might want to have a look around the Campaining section for that.
Are there any other fans on the forum that are walking the same thin line between illegally downloading and fan of the new series?
Far more than you imagine.

Alan1972
Volunteer

Post by Alan1972 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:26 am

I'm from the UK too and i download it and watch it on my PS3, if only NBC knew how many people really watch it instead of what the US ratings say would it make any difference?.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:09 am

over here man. I iam the exect same copy of you. and i too download every episod. infact i have each and every episod of KR08 on my laptops hard drive now. i just NBC give it a go for another season :kitt:

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:48 pm

It is sad that NBC has no clue at all as to how many people actually watch it... even in the US (the non Nielsen people), let alone in the rest of the world. But if you want them to know... go to the campaigning section, print the the 2 pre-formatted letters and send them to the NBC address shown on the letters! The more people do that, the more voices will be heard!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:34 pm

Im the same,i download the episode a day after its shown in the US. NBC must know people do this?

xmguy
Rookie

Post by xmguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm in the US and have to do the same thing for Doctor Who as new episodes are only aired in the UK.
LOYAL Knight Rider fan since 1995
:spmgo:

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:31 pm

xmguy wrote: I'm in the US and have to do the same thing for Doctor Who
as new episodes are only aired in the UK.
I thought Doctor Who was available on BBC America and The Sci-Fi Channel over there?

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:26 pm

DeeKnight wrote:Im the same,i download the episode a day after its shown in the US. NBC must know people do this?
It's a moot point. Currently, Knight Rider isn't officially marketed overseas, so it's only the domestic market they're concerned about. Besides, just like with people who TiVo or DVR the show, downloading the episodes means no commercials, which is the main source of profit from a TV show. And even if commercials were still there, they wouldn't really have any effect on foreigners, since they're commercials from and for the American market.

Our opinion of the show has bearing only in terms of potential for marketing it overseas, should it be renewed. But at this point, I don't know how much they'd even care about that.

Mike K
Rookie

Post by Mike K » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:20 am

I also watch it :D

Its about time they sent the toys & marketing PR stuff out

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:32 pm

DJGM wrote:
I thought Doctor Who was available on BBC America and The Sci-Fi Channel over there?
They are, they're just about 6-8 months delayed... and they've been cut & edited to include commercials. A UK tv show is about 52 min long, a US tv show is about 46min long.

Also it's a bit weird. US tv writes itself to include mini cliffhangers right before commercial time. UK tv (least with Doctor Who) is written completely flowing, with no pauses or stops.
Read KR Fanfiction and Post your own at http://www.knightfic.com

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Mad Max Smart wrote: Are there any other fans on the forum that are walking the same thin line between illegally downloading and fan of the new series?Mart
Ive noticed on certain file sharing networks that the show is availible a few hours after it aired & then ive noticed that thousands of people by that time are getting it & as time goes on that number just increases rapidly!
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

gromia77
Rookie

Post by gromia77 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:52 pm

I download the eps too, glad to know I'm not the only one. :mrgreen:
Zoe: Burn rubber Kitt!
Kitt: Burning rubber.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Kitzira wrote:
DJGM wrote:
They are, they're just about 6-8 months delayed... and they've been cut &
edited to include commercials. A UK tv show is about 52 min long,
a US tv show is about 46min long.

Also it's a bit weird. US tv writes itself to include mini cliffhangers right
main before commercial time. UK tv (least with Doctor Who) is written
completely flowing, with no pauses or stops.
Series episodes of Doctor Who usually for a total of around about 43 mins from beginning to
end. They have no pauses or stops for ad-breaks, as it is aired on BBC One, which contains
no ads during programs, but promotional trailers for other BBC shows in between them.
BBC channels in the UK are not allowed to broadcast commercial advertisements.

Doctor Who special episodes, such as the Christmas specials run for about an hour from
beginning to end on their original BBC airings. The four special episodes to be shown
on BBC One over the course of this year in the run up to David Tennant's departure
as The Doctor, are likely to be about the same length as the Christmas specials.

I believe Doctor Who is aired in 1 hour timeslots on BBC America and Sci-Fi, and the ad
breaks would appear to be dropped in at random with the risk of interrupting scenes.

Shows made to be broadcast in 1 hour timeslots on BBC One/Two/Three/Four generally
run for around 55-60 mins from beginning to end, while similar programs made for our
main commercial channels (ITV1, Channel 4 and Five) would usually run for about 50
mins, sometimes a few mins less, if viewed without the ad-breaks.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:27 pm

DJGM wrote:They have no pauses or stops for ad-breaks, as it is aired on BBC One, which contains
no ads during programs, but promotional trailers for other BBC shows in between them.
BBC channels in the UK are not allowed to broadcast commercial advertisements.
Thats true, bloody ITV makes up for it though! :)

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:45 pm

WOW, I am really surprised about this huge number of people that downloads the show to watch it. even in the US. I just want the people in NBC to open this site and listen to other people who really wish for this show to keep going on Image :kitt: