Live Discussion - Fight Knight

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

t.b.77b
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Live Discussion - Fight Knight

Post by t.b.77b » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:50 pm

I loved the episode. I agree that it wasn't as good as last week but o well. As for the transformation it was nesecary and I don't mind that at all (looks like we'll have another one next week by the promo). It had a great TOS feel and didn't focus on the backup characters as much. I liked the pinning of the sheriff and the small town law trouble. I had no bad comments at all and only wish I could have seen it live instead of having to track it down on the internet (local NBC station showed a local colage basketball instead of KR). I give it an 8 out of 10. I hope the ratings will continue to increase. We'll see tomorrow at 10-11.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

tmtcnya
Volunteer

Post by tmtcnya » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:50 pm

This week we have yet again a great plot and storyline, but a snap of a finger ending. Again no turbo, ski, crash a wall, these are all things KITT is famous for, not just driving around and talking. This show needs to pump up the car action, if they do that its a great show.

Also for the part tiki barber played, he didnt have much to say in the episode. They could have spent alot less money hiring anyone off the street to say "nothing".

See ya'll next week

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:03 am

Wow! That was another great episode!

I really don't mind the transformations. Especially when they help K.I.T.T. do something to help Mike, like going off road.

What was with that woman's mugshot! That was funny!
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

egomez2777
Volunteer

Post by egomez2777 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:09 am

Bottom line. It was a good episode. Sticking to TOS and the idea of the Foundation for Law And Government. One man (and his car) making a difference. :kitt:
K.I.T.T.: "Don't worry Sarah, I got this!"

Renegade94
Recruit

Post by Renegade94 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:10 am

All in all, I thought that this episode was another solid one. They have really gone back to TOS with the Re-Boot and we are finally getting to see alot more focus on Mike and KITT! I really think that they are keeping the Transformations to a minimum, but I still believe that they are necessary since it has already been established as one of KITT'S major functions. I think that it would be a big mistake if all of a sudden, KITT no longer could transform to help out Mike in a certain situation, especially since that is the feature that NBC promoted the most for the new series! I really like the way the series is now going and I am really enjoying watching the relationship between Mike and KITT grow in each episode. I am looking forward to the last 3 episodes and I hope a season 2 as well because I think that the show really deserves it! :good:
"KITT keep your eyes peeled" Michael
"Michael I do not have eyes" KITT
"Figure of speech KITT" Michael
From Knight In Shining Armor

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:24 am

This episode was ok, it wasn't better than last week's episode by far.

Few things I noticed that irked me a bit.

#1. Odd selection of music in some parts -- like the roling drum beats during scenes where it's building to something as insignificant as an arrival at a location.

#2. Mike's shirt kept changing from deep maroon red to black and back again, especially with his showdown talk with the Sheriff.

#3. If KITT is so friggin sophisticated why couldn't he just follow the GPS in Mike's fancy cellphone or does his phone somehow magically not have that ability? It felt like it made KITT's abilities weakened again.

#4. Another lack of effects for bullet impacts at close range by a villain (in this case the Sheriff) firing into KITT's armor at point blank range. When I'm very aware that an actor is firing blanks, it really destroys the serious nature of the moment. News flash --- it takes more than gunfire sound effects to sell a dangerous situation NBC.

#5. Digital (I'm assuming DV) tapes give off radiation? Really? Also "magnetic" radiation so apparently substantial that a car can detect them from outside a building? This is news to me.

I guess what I could say about this episode that I liked is again the villains were believable. I think it's actually very funny how they've decided to convey that Sarah could pull off the Devon role with the "Sarah" Palin glasses look and suit...but we'll see how well this plays out towards the end of the season.

I don't exactly believe that Sarah has matured so much from the last episode to this one in order to buy her as a credible leader as experienced and disciplined as Devon was or even Charles to some extent.

I'm also glad the comedy between Zoe and Billy was downplayed and that there wasn't a lot of groan worthy remarks and awkward sexual moments. I think the only thing I really picked up on was Constance's remark about seeing her "downstairs" instead of seeing "the" downstairs, but hey I have nothing against somewhat clever word play.

I think the timing between KITT and Mike still needs to be worked on, it felt very off towards the end of the episode as in forced rather than a natural response.

I still don't see Daniel's wit coming into play because as clever as this KITT may be, he still lacks the inflection of Daniel's more humanistic approach. It's getting better but not by much and I'm still not convinced KITT is a character more than a computer inside a car. It's not the written dialogue, it is still the delivery.

The transformations this time were necessary and served the purpose of the story. Kudos for using visual effects where they were needed and not just for show. The corrupt Sheriff angle, also a nice touch even if it felt more forced than actually believable.I mean it's one thing to be a Sheriff who is just set in his ways and stubborn, looks the other way, or protecting the interest of a suspect -- but to have been taking money from suspectable sources for months and no one finds out -- especially through the internet, that's just a bit far fetched for my tastes.

But in the Knight Rider world, it's usually the norm, so I can go with it.

Still not a bad episode but this time around weaker than the last one.

The whole Lionheart/Annapolis/Fight Club type angle -- eh it was ok but not very exciting considering most of the episode was not focused on the actual fighting itself but more the history behind it.

=VK=
:dash:
Last edited by Victor Kros on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Knight
Rookie

Post by Mike Knight » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:30 am

The episode was perfection, except for one thing:

The Transformation.

Yes, I still don't like it, and no, you're not going to get me to change my mind. It's still too much. But at least it wasn't Ugly (Attack) Mode.

The path the F-150 was on was still driveable by the normal Mustang. "Slipping on the dirt" is no excuse as KITT drove in non-truck mode on the desert floor in an earlier episode this season.

They want KITT to go off-road? Bring back the High Traction Drop Downs. Simple-as-that. The transformation mode ONLY serves to promote other Ford cars. Had the truck actually gone off-road, it would have been less silly. But it stayed on a flat path that the Mustang could easily have been on.

Thankfully, we've seen footage of Truck KITT getting blown up. I think transformation mode's days are numbered and we'll see it die before the end of the season.

Still not a fan of Smith Cho's acting, but she wasn't around enough to stink things up.

Everything else was perfect, though! Well written, well paced and well acted (Cho aside)! BTW, did anyone else think the main baddie was the SPITTING IMAGE of a young Jack Nicholson?

9.8/10 (.2 points off for the truck mode)
One man can make a difference....

kwsta25
Rookie

Post by kwsta25 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:31 am

ok i feel like a kid waiting for christmas morning to see the results in ratings for tonites episode. transform or not i love this show=) we need to be in the 7.5 million.

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 am

Another great episode and I can't wait till next weeks episode! To the producers and writers I congradulate you on the great turn around with the show. Maybe having kids interact with KITT is the key to great ratings bounces? Who knows but what ever it is it's working so keep it up, and again I congradulate you on another great episode.

bucksanass1
Volunteer

Post by bucksanass1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 am

New surveillance video at knight industries site for next weeks episode

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:54 am

Victor Kros wrote:#3. If KITT is so friggin sophisticated why couldn't he just follow the GPS in Mike's fancy cellphone or does his phone somehow magically not have that ability? It felt like it made KITT's abilities weakened again.
Did u watch the episode? It wasnt his phone, he took it from the guy that he beat down. Stop making assumptions about what u thought happen when its clearly wasnt his phone.
News flash --- it takes more than gunfire sound effects to sell a dangerous situation NBC.
News Flash -----------its called SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

I thinks its stupid ppl are complaining about the transformations...........who freakin cares. It doesnt destroy the storyline or the interaction between KITT and Michael. Attack Mode and Truck are here to stay till the season finale. So please get over it.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

manlai
Rookie

Post by manlai » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:39 am

neps wrote:Use this topic to discuss tonights episode Fight Knight. We'll also be in the chat room - as usual! http://knightrideronline.com/chat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DOWN FOR THE COUNT--Mike's old Army friend recruits his help to investigate the suspicious death of a tough-as-nails drill sergeant Jack Burber. Mike learns that the drill sergeant was participating in an underground fight club for military veterans for extra money. In order to find out what really happened, Mike has to infiltrate the fight club and try not to get himself killed in the ring.
We are up against a Lost repeat on ABC, a Criminal Minds repeat on CBS and of course American Idol on FOX. So we need to be in second tonight and keep up that 6.2 million viewers number in order to keep hope alive.
It's not the total viewers that's relevant, it's the demos. If we can get back to at least 2.2/6 or higher in the 18-49, we have a chance. That's where the ad dollars come from after all.

As for the episode itself, I felt good about it. Tiki was pretty weak... and they tried to give him extra airtime with the continuous replays of the drill video. On the good side, his brief fight scene looked surprisingly good. Mike and KI3T felt right, and it's nice to see them on the road and taking on things themselves with the team in support at the cave. One detail thing I liked was Sarah nagging Mike about breaking the law with the fake ID and the theft... sort of highlighted their civilian status. I would like to see Sarah out on the field sometimes, but I feel good about letting Mike and KI3T establish themselves as the main team in these episodes. Transformation is obviously a hot button issue with this board. I tend to like it when it isn't abused. They've been toning down the neon from attack, which is one of my big gripes with it. Truck was well used here, so I liked it. HTDD wouldn't give the same performance advantages as being a full blown pickup would, and I've always felt transformation is a nice (albeit ridiculous) fun progression in tech. Transformation wasn't abused here, so I'm with it. I liked last week better, but this was still a continuation of the upswing from the second half of the season.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:06 am

Yes, this episode had a lot of the basic elements of the original series:

The corrupt sheriff. The damsel in distress. The "I know the official report says one thing but I KNOW there is foul play here" angle. But it didn't have the most important element: car action. This is a show about a superCAR. Not super-surveillance.

While am very glad to see that the storylines have improved a lot and there are all of these nice little things in the episodes, I would like to see more of the BIG things. Chases. Crashes. CGI or real, I want to see stunts.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:00 am

I agree with Mike although the show was good & solid we need more car stunts! And for the transformation i couldnt believe it was used again i had thought they listened to the fans & did away with the silliness but i guess i was terribly wrong, now KI3T could have easily navigated that road with being in that stupid truck mode! The other thing that bothered me a bit was Sarah wearing those glasses & Billy with the preppy sweater? Are they trying to make them look more sophisticated? If so it was a bad move because it just looked completely out of place! Im not talking about putting Sarah back in a bikini but the glasses were a bit much! I enjoyed it better than last weeks episode just for the fact that there was more of KI3T in it & it looks like the episodes just keep getting better! But they have to use the damn car more than what they have been because as Mike stated this is a show about a SUPERCAR! It doesnt take a genius to figure out what makes this show work & what conserns me is what kind of people are we dealing with that is taking this long to get it through their heads?
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:54 am

Last week's episode was better. I think they used truck mode again because they couldn't afford to drive such a low mustang through that road, but i think if we'll get second season, there won't be any truck mode. They used it again, because they can't afford to make another mode to KITT when the season is towards end. If we'll get second season I think they'll have modificated higher 4x4 Mustang for such situations.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:07 am

PunkMaister wrote:Why is it that a lot of people are so against women being strong and would rather see them as forever helpless damsels in distress? I'm a male and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me! :?
And by strong you mean can't help but get into bar fights because she's upset?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

jshorva65
Recruit

Post by jshorva65 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:23 am

Harry Singh Jr. wrote:I liked tonights episode. It was it was old school Knight Rider style, crooked sheriff, helping a friend, and some cool fight action. Didn't care for the transformation, but I can live with it. I'm also glad that they're finally giving this car some character:)

I'm definitly looking forward to next week. :)
Another excellent episode! Glad to see KR08 staying on track as a continuation of TOS without necessarily trying to copy or remake TOS. Would have preferred to see HTDD instead of Truck Mode, but the transformation hit the mark regarding relevance to the immediate need for better traction than the Mustang would have on unpaved terrain. Since the concept of a high-tech supervehicle adds a sci-fi element to a show which is basically an action/adventure set in the present, some "things which seem impossible in the real world can happen in sci-fi" logic applies here. Campy? Perhaps, but TOS and most series/films/etc. which are/were of a sci-fi sub-genre will always have a campy element. In that context, the open-platform or dimensionally-disproportionate spaceships on Lost In Space 40+ years ago made KI3T's Truck Mode transformations appear much less radical. Even Super Pursuit Mode in TOS seems more realistic than The Keeper's endless corridors of cages within a ship having an exterior less than 10 feet in diameter. For those unfamiliar with it, "The Keeper" was a two-part episode during the first (1965-66) season of Lost In Space, guest-starring Michael Rennie and filmed in B/W as were all 29 of the Season 1 episodes.

As I've said before, TOS was the best series featuring an AI as a major character since LIS and KR08 is the next-best such series since TOS.

Chazsza
Volunteer

Post by Chazsza » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:32 am

knightriderfan123 wrote:see what im saying thats why a wrist watch is better
LMAO! exactly what I was thinking!
great episode, reminds me of TOS and FINALLY a transformation with a purpose! lol
but i think that they should just jak up the mustang like KI2T and KARR did... but oh well
Signer #1433

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:41 am

Let's see...

Shots of KITT driving (even without the stunts) instead of being nailed to the parking lot? Check.
Simplified but likeable story? Check.
Plenty of action? Check.
Some pretty decent attempts at humor? Check.
The SSC bunch not hogging screen time? Check.
Indulging society's hypocrisy that boobies are bad, but beatdowns in cage fights can't possibly harm little children? Check.

I don't really see much to bitch about here. Personally, I've enjoyed it throughout, with the exception of one thing: KITT's method of tracking down Mike. When he made that call, KITT should've been able to pinpoint his position. If he's fast enough to think and talk like a human, he's fast enough to track down a nearby signal. Especially in sci-fi.

The "digital tapes emit radiation" thing is also kind of iffy, but I can turn a blind eye to it. All in all, a very enjoyable episode.

necrophilissimo
Rookie

Post by necrophilissimo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:52 am

NeoRanger wrote:Indulging society's hypocrisy that boobies are bad, but beatdowns in cage fights can't possibly harm little children? Check.
Spot on :)
TAGAP: The Apocalyptic Game About Penguins - Join the penguin apocalypse!

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:06 am

The ear piece is easy to get lost and destroyed. They should go back to the comlink wristwatch. This episode was more inline with the original series. F.L.A.G. is back!!!

PS In chat I called it that the sheriff was on the take before anyone spotted it.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :kitt: :kitt2: :dash: :dash4: :twisted: :good:
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:13 am

a transformation with a purpose? what would that purpose be... they didn't have to clean up the mustang during shooting? because that's the only reason i can think of! i mean come on... they didn't even drive off-road, it was only a country road.
i hate it that for any kind of action they let KITT transform into other vehicles, more mustang normal mode action would be great!
but apart from me still hating the transformations, it was a good episode... not as great as the last two, but still good.
it had a nice, TOS-ish feeling to it... i really like the reboot so far!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:24 am

GT500KR wrote:
Victor Kros wrote:#3. If KITT is so friggin sophisticated why couldn't he just follow the GPS in Mike's fancy cellphone or does his phone somehow magically not have that ability? It felt like it made KITT's abilities weakened again.
Did u watch the episode? It wasnt his phone, he took it from the guy that he beat down. Stop making assumptions about what u thought happen when its clearly wasnt his phone.
News flash --- it takes more than gunfire sound effects to sell a dangerous situation NBC.
News Flash -----------its called SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

I thinks its stupid ppl are complaining about the transformations...........who freakin cares. It doesnt destroy the storyline or the interaction between KITT and Michael. Attack Mode and Truck are here to stay till the season finale. So please get over it.
- He could have had KITT scan for it (the phone) when he did have the signal before it went out again or Sarah for that matter. He could have also had KITT scan for the phone while he was ON THE PHONE WITH HIM to begin with.

Clearly you are the one not caring about these details, but other people do.

Safety precautions for showing bullets hitting KITT's shell? I think not. Said new "effect" is entirely CG, no one is in danger. Secondly the Sheriff had ample distance to fire blanks that would not have effected Justin, especially since the shots were being aimed at the car more so than him.

As a viewer I have every right to question what happens in every episode that airs. I will express that right when I choose to do so even if you don't agree with what I have to say.

Additionally I agree with Michael Pajaro about the point that this show is about a SUPERCAR and not so much CSI. We definately need to see the car stunts go back up a notch, especially if the show wishes to earn a second season.

As for ratings? I predict this episode will not surpass last show's ratings.

=VK=
:dash:
Last edited by Victor Kros on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:25 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Yes, this episode had a lot of the basic elements of the original series:

The corrupt sheriff. The damsel in distress. The "I know the official report says one thing but I KNOW there is foul play here" angle. But it didn't have the most important element: car action. This is a show about a superCAR. Not super-surveillance.

While am very glad to see that the storylines have improved a lot and there are all of these nice little things in the episodes, I would like to see more of the BIG things. Chases. Crashes. CGI or real, I want to see stunts.
Yep I agree with Michaels comments. I'd really like to see more Kitt action. That is after all why we watch Knight Rider. Having said that though, I watched a couple of the very early TOS episodes the other night, and they too where pretty low on the Kitt action, although the action they had was better than anything we've seen in this show. :(
But I do feel that we're on the right track for more Kitt action, I just hope it hurries up and gets here.

One thing which I was really pleased to see was how Kitt scanned the bar when they first arrived and pointed out that there was a sub-structure which he couldn't immediately scan. Very old-school KR. :good:

One thing which didn't please me very much was Mikes comment about how he placed the plastic bag on Kitts hood and he had "surface tech" so he could scan it... I would have though that Kitts scanners would be able to scan that bag regardless of where it was?

While I was watching that examination of the dead guy, I kept asking myself "Why can't Kitt scan the guy and get that information?"
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:29 am

Very, very good. I actually liked it better than last week's episode, probably because there was more movement here. Last week most of the episode was centered around the bank which is kind of a problem for me with a CAR BASED show, although it was still good. But the very fact this week's episode had plenty of movement to and from places made it great even if it wasn't full of stunts, which just goes to show the question is always far bigger than 'was there a turbo boost'.

I don't mind the transformation - if a couple of minutes of that is what it takes to keep the show on, fine - although I would prefer it if KITT stopped saying 'transformation complete'. it's a little robotic. However, the final scene with him and Mike more than made up for it. First time in KR08 I actually laughed out loud. Classic stuff.

Keep on the good work!