New editing style

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

New editing style

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:47 pm

It looks like the editors are also part of the reboot. They've been trying out some new things lately and I mostly like it. They did some split-screening with Sarah and Charles in Day Turns into Knight. As Neil mentioned, last night they had some cool wipes: KITT would drive across the screen and the scene would change behind him. These are little things, perhaps a bit gimmicky, but I think it really adds to the overall feel of the show. It gives it a certain style.

Personally I'm not a fan of the "strobing slow-motion" effect, but I DO support them trying out new things.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Re: New editing style

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:44 pm

I did notice the slo-mo thing. I didn't like it all that much, but I see what they were going for. I don't think it's necessarily a bad effect or anything, but the way it was integrated...it didn't flow as well as other shows I've seen with that effect, because in this episode it was used in an on-off-on-off manner. The drama would have been heightened if they had either a) used it for one long continuous shot or b) used it once for one particular short shot. That effect seems to mesh with the modern shaky-camera filming used in a lot of crime dramas nowadays, but I don't think I'd really want to see that used in Knight Rider (as it's overused and can be annoying). (Actually, thinking about it, modern framing techniques and camera movements are pretty annoying in general....where did this trend come from?)

I noticed the KI3T wipe; it was great. I really like the way they did it and it should become a staple of the show - it'll help establish a new "Knight Rider" identity, and as you said, create a certain style. I wouldn't call this gimmicky because it's so streamlined from scene to scene - they did a great job with that. Now, if they start doing the old Knight Rider schtick before the cut to commercial with the car driving out of the sunset, that will be gimmicky. :P
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:30 pm

I did notice all the invisible wipes. The one with KITT was especially cool. Those kind of transitions take a lot more work to set up but I'd like to see more of them.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:05 pm

I also dug the fast editing when they were looking around the city or into the buildings. It's like KITT was processing the information really quickly and we got caught in its wave.

KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by KITT » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:40 pm

i liked the new editing style. like what neps was saying, i like the fast-paced cuts. the slow-mo thing doesn't bother me, it's kinda cool, a way to break up the action.

i really liked the cut they did where kitt drove across the screen and it changed. i like the seemless cuts.
Lady: "I bet you're tall, dark, and handsome."
KITT: "I'm definitely dark and handsome, I'm only tall when I'm climbing a steep incline."
http://www.dhasselhoff.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:24 pm

I agree, the transitional wipes and the fast cuts were amazing and worked very well.
Hopefully this kind of creative editing will continue on later episodes as well! :good:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:23 am

I love the wipe to next scene that Ki3T did! :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

standgeo
Volunteer

Post by standgeo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:39 am

I liked this new approach too. It gives the feeling that something new and much better is going on with this show!
Along with the other changes of the reboot the new editing style offers its piece to puzzle!
Great work!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:50 am

lunchmeat wrote:That effect seems to mesh with the modern shaky-camera filming used in a lot of crime dramas nowadays, but I don't think I'd really want to see that used in Knight Rider (as it's overused and can be annoying). (Actually, thinking about it, modern framing techniques and camera movements are pretty annoying in general....where did this trend come from
Ugh! I talk about this in my Quantum of Solace thread, I HATE the shaky camera thing. I know the idea to make it look chaotic, but all it does is come off as lazy because they don't have to choreograph a whole scene, just hundreds of minuscule little cuts. Its a cheap way out, makes it very hard to see what the hell is going on. I dunno where the trend came from, but I wish it would go away.

/rant

I never would have consciously recognized the screen wipe if it hadn't been mentioned, but it was pretty cool.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:02 am

Not really happy or unhappy with the new editing. For example, I didn't like that:
last night they had some cool wipes: KITT would drive across the screen and the scene would change behind him
but I did like this:
the fast editing when they were looking around the city or into the buildings.
quite much.

Milkman
Recruit

Post by Milkman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:29 pm

Just throwing in my .02...

I also liked the wipes and transitions. The slow motion I wasn't crazy about.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:39 pm

I too, noticed the KITT swipe scene change...It was fun! It really added to pleasure of seeing the show...I hope to see more of this.

As per the slow-mo, I must have missed that. I will have to pay more attention I guess...All in All I LOVED the changes!
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:53 pm

My_Friend_KITT wrote:As per the slow-mo, I must have missed that. I will have to pay more attention I guess...All in All I LOVED the changes!
There are several slo-mo here:
- Hostage being shot in the back after being told to escape
- Lynn (villain girl) falling down the hill after brawling with Mike
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:30 am

Oh didn't even notice those, I thought you referring to 2 episodes a ago when it went to slow-motion twice as Mike marched through the doors raising his pistol.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:21 pm

lunchmeat wrote:I did notice the slo-mo thing. I didn't like it all that much, but I see what they were going for. I don't think it's necessarily a bad effect or anything, but the way it was integrated...it didn't flow as well as other shows I've seen with that effect, because in this episode it was used in an on-off-on-off manner. The drama would have been heightened if they had either a) used it for one long continuous shot or b) used it once for one particular short shot.
After watching the episode again, I realize that I like the effect, but it was broken for me because of the first shot in which it was used. In this shot, Mike is running across the road and the slo-mo effect is active, but in the middle of the shot, the effect is deactivated. That shot is a little weird because of the way the effect stops in the middle. Everything else is okay, but that shot really calls attention to the effect and I'm not sure why they cut it that way. All of the other shots using this effect, in my opinion, were done well, so my two points in my quote don't hold.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am

It seems as though, from what I've seen, that this editing style was specific to the original season finale...everything in that episode seemed to have a really cinematic quality to it, and I'm not sure we'll see these effects again.

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:56 pm

The FAKE green screen driving was evident in a few shots.The transformation to the attack mode didn't look quite appealing and the transformation to the classic mustang was better.Truck Transformation (despite our dislikes) was executed neatly.Please fix the fake driving thing it looks awkward also there were a few shots where it looked like Mike was driving from the passenger side.There were clearly editing flaws as well sometimes they'd show KITT in auto pilot and the next shot Mike is driving KITT (hands on steering wheel).I also didn't like the MTV flashy editing style when KITT does a 180 degree turn in the Attack mode.The Machine Guns popped out in a weird manner but all the firing thing and going back into the hood was neat.I liked the HUD showing passenger restraint system.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:56 am

I really believe the editing is very important factor of the show. all I can say is excellent job and keep trying going for better ways. Image :kitt:

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Tonight, on I Love the Knight Life...

I really liked the editing style they had also...
The best scene was...
When they had Mike tied up in the chair at the night club, the punch and card shuffle was cool looking!
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!