Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:That's all I wanted and they delivered. I can't complain. Last night's episode was what KR is all about. No weird conspiracies, no Mike/Sarah angst. Just KITT and Michael in a perilous situation working together and saving the day with KITT finally becoming more of a star than just a prop. That's all I ever wanted. I was impressed and pleased with last night's episode.
Well then I sure hope you did not write that letter urging NBC to cancel the show and forever bury the K.R franchise and if you did I suggest you write another one retracting from it quick!

Pct1theory
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Pct1theory » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:21 pm

i really liked this episode. I just wish KITT went into attack mode and Val's voice sounded a bit odd this episode. The ending was odd, but overall a great episode. :good:

Mathyus
Rookie

Post by Mathyus » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:25 pm

mustang_fan91 wrote:Is it me, or were the Ford logos of the Taurus and the Expedition blacked out.

View them closely and you will see
yes, I went back and watched that first part, and they are looking blacked out.
End of line program... -MCP-

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:33 pm

BTW does anyone know what the song was at the beginning of the episode, my girlfriend really liked it and I would like to download it. I tried to shazam it with my iphone however it didn't recognise it... :kitt2:

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 pm

Rainack wrote:

If he can display stuff on his hood, shouldn't he be able to display images anywhere on him? Then, he could just display an image on his side windows and windshield. Yeah, if you looked close enough then someone would be able to tell, but in the middle of a SWAT raid, who's going to notice?
I like that idea that he can display an image on his windows and windshield that make it look like someone is inside. It wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny, but it would be passable.
Yep, I think if they can do one thing, they can do the other. Maybe someone just needs to put the idea past KITT?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 am

Good episode!!

Really well written. I like ht plot twists and trying to figure out what the robbers where doing.

Love the scene showing Kitt being shot at.

There where however too rather large things which bugged me in this episode and indicates to me that maybe the producers still don't get Knight Rider

1. Billy is doing all the high-tech geeky stuff that Kitt should[/b] be doing. Remember in the TOS show, Kitt did all the kewl computer stuff. In this episode (and show) Billy does it instead. I think they need to have Kitt as the "tech guy", which will help make him more of a character instead of just a bullet proof talking car.

2. Why was there no reaction from anyone who saw the talking car driving itself??? Not one of the hospital staff looked surprised or even did a double take. The nurse took the girl out of the drivers seat! with no reaction at all!

Anyway, apart from that, I really liked this episode, lots of action, no attack mode. It did feel like a new knight rider show.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 am

In the TOS show, it was mainly just Michael and Kitt, so yeah, Kitt would logically be the computer guy. In this show, due to the times, everyone is kind of the computer guy, except for Mike. Kitt got his share of computer stuff in too - he did a lot of database lookups and a lot of terrain scanning, which in previous episodes was done by Billy and Zoey (due to government satellites). Remember the city scan for underground tunnels, and KI3T's heads-up-display of the 3D map?

It seems like, in the new show, there will be sort of a split between the tech duties, due to the nature of the SSC's position (extra eyes from a remote location) and the times; everything is computers these days, and most people doing what they are doing would have those skills. Billy and Zoey would have no use if they didn't have tech roles, and I'd be sorry to see them go.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Mike Knight
Rookie

Post by Mike Knight » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:14 am

Well, I was curious. My friend, who was also deeply disappointed with the KARR/KARR-E bait and switch, watched last night's episode and told me I should really catch it.

Well, I have never seen such a turnaround in all of my life. The episode last night was perfect. And I actually cannot believe I'm saying that.

My only two gripes:

Smith Cho - she cannot act at all, and she serves no purpose. Billy fills the same role, and he can actually act.

The Knight Rider theme - the new theme has no melody, next season (If the rest of the season is this good, the viewership will stay up, and we definitely will get another season), I'd like to see a more TOS-heavy revamp of it. But however it sounds, it would have been nice to hear it used in the episode's score. Some of the moments would have been nicely underscored by a Knight Rider theme, like Stu Phillips/Don Peake used to do.

I was pleased with the two parter, but it wasn't even this good. The KARR episode let me down a lot, but this completely converted me. Boy, I got owned.

And the KARR-E episode will be forgiven if we get to see the original (actual) KARR return next season! :wink: :)

Roll on, season 2!
One man can make a difference....

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 am

Great episode I just watched it a second time. Now we're back to the way KITT is supposed to be. Now if we keep getting kids involved in the show like what went on in TOS it will be a success.

I think we should all write Bromstad and tell her we love her show and that it's the best show on TV. Granted I know to some this maybe a stretch but if we stretch the truth a little maybe we'll be able to keep it on TV for subsequent seasons.

KnightIndustriesTT
Rookie

Post by KnightIndustriesTT » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:27 am

KnightINSTINCT wrote:I've seriously got to stop coming on here. Lots and lots of senseless nitpicking!

First time viewing any episode of Knight Rider this season and liking it right from the getgo, seems like a rarity for me. Okay, so the episodes I've liked right away are A Hard Days Knight, Knight Of The Hunter, Knight Fever, Don't Stop the Knight's two-parter, and Exit Light, Enter Knight. All these episodes have the best storylines and musical scoring. And getting back to the storylines, it's hard for our actors on the show to look bad when they have material to work with.

There was absolutely nothing to nitpick at all, whatsoever about this episode. I appreciated that KITT did leave his windows tinted for the sake OF NOT SHOCKING any civilians. Why people on here can't look beyond the production of the show and enjoy this from a viewer's perspective annoys me. This episode had humor in all the right places, and the story of the show wasn't rushed. I thought we had a pretty good deal with the way it ended...hey, time allotment used for the best stuff...reminds me on how they usually wrap up an episode of LAW AND ORDER. Which made me think right away as soon as I saw the ending: this show may just suit fine for sticking on the Wednesday time slot with the more serious crime show after all.

Okay, I read someone else also noticed the homage to the theme music was used during KITT's rush to the hospital. That was an awesome fit! And during the tunnel chase, I couldn't help but think that the composer did a damn good job on making the music sound almost like a good orchestra playing off the scene. TOS rarely did that beyond its season one, and I never understood that. Thought out pieces of music makes the show, and this episode really made a good impression on me.

NBC made the right call on turning this show around. And GST did a most outstanding job on directing this episode. I can't believe this episode was still him directing. His talents are definitely broader than I assumed of him. Gary, I hope now that you receive more appreciation after this episode :wink:
Totally agree, this episode didn't even really have too much that was nitpick worthy, it was just a great ride with some good dangerous villains and some nicely snappy dialogue as well as some really funny humor.

Good point about the music, I've found their use of music ever since the reboot started with the 2-parter to be far superior to how they were using the music for most of the season, the new music created for the series is becoming more prominent and memorable in all the right places (VERY appreciated) and the licensed music has finally been used much better and the choices much more fitting to the scenes, like the song used in the KARR episode when he was rescuing KITT, very fitting including the lyrics.

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:41 am

Great ep! 8.5/10 :good:

Only strike was the "stuck in one place" thing, but whatever!

I was actually yelling at my TV for Ki3t to use his EMP, but afterward, I remembered that that would have KO'd the cop cars and everything else.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather not see the T&A junk. This was a better ep for it! :good:

as far as these concerns that I read in the thread
--Ki3t's tinted windows: I agree with those whom have rationalized it
--Medicos at the hospital not being surprised by Ki3t: they had bigger fish to fry, like saving that cop.
--Cops not reacting to ki3t driving himself: they had bigger fish to fry, like getting the situation resolved.

And.. What Microsoft Vista product placement? I didn't see it.
The X-Box one last week, now THAT was a bit of an eyesore!
--SVD
(-
=)

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:59 am

About the cops reaction to KITT... I don't think they knew he was driving himself. The windows must have been tinted the whole time. What strikes me as odd, though, was that they let a civilian drive up and down anywhere near the bank, in the middle of a hostage situation.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:12 am

David Whiteheart wrote:Great episode I just watched it a second time. Now we're back to the way KITT is supposed to be. Now if we keep getting kids involved in the show like what went on in TOS it will be a success.
Hey, I just noticed that this is maybe the FIRST New Knight Rider episode with a kid playing some quite large part in it. IIRC the other episodes had no involvement of kids at all and they being too serious. Maybe this is the first right step towards the right demographics and the family-friendly show that TOS used to be (though Zoe's cleavage show at the beginning of the show might be somewhat gratuitous too).

Also a small nitpicking here towards Zoe:
Zoe, if you let Billy hug you in the previous episode, then why not now? How inconsistent can you be in your attitude towards Billy? And we don't want to waste any more minutes watching this back and forth crap between you and Billy. The show got rid of Mike and Sarah's angle and it was for good. Now it's time for yours to go and for you to make up your mind.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:22 am

Very very good episode. Even from a non-Knight Rider standpoint it was well-written in the sense of figuring out what the robbers were up to. Oh, and did that girl die at the end? I wouldn't mind if she did, frankly, but they show her writhe in pain a bit when she hits the bottom of the ravine.

And while it WAS a little rushed, the wrap-up with the people they saved was a very nice nod to the original. And Rocketteer, there were reactions to KITT, just not consistently so. The medical staff had bigger concerns, but Maddie and her parents both commented on it. Moreso than that, I was surprised that the police allowed this rogue blacked-out Mustang to come speeding in and out of the crime scene.

I liked KITT's use of the laser, and his overall personality in this episode, it was very well done. (Although, if he could duplicate the commanders voice, why could he only keep replaying Mike's "Hang on" or whatever in the two-parter?) Lots of KITT driving himself which was appreciated. Also Rocketteer, Billy did do a lot of tech stuff but KITT came up with his own ideas and acted on his own (the cell phone), I also like that KITT followed Mike's order over Sarah's (I know that's not the first time though)

The questions I raise aren't really nitpicks, just musing, but a very well put-together episode, especially for one in which KITT didn't use a whole ton of his features.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

lup1n
Stranger

Post by lup1n » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:29 am

I just register to say : True, this ep (113) is AWESOME!!

This ep is the real story about a knight and a ride. A knight without earwig(guide) that always shows the right direction. The knight that must choose his own path (MK in the sewer). Cool rite?
Just like C. Graiman said (ep 112) :
You can make a difference, but you must decide.
I also like the intro. The intro is always about transformations, attacks, cobra, and slides. It is really feel cool to include cobra logo transformation when transform to attack mode in the intro. But the opening intro shows to us about a bird (sat imagery). They (Knight Industries)do not have any birds left, do they?
Ontario Knight wrote:BTW does anyone know what the song was at the beginning of the episode, my girlfriend really liked it and I would like to download it. I tried to shazam it with my iphone however it didn't recognise it... :kitt2:
Yes, i also like and look for the opening song in this ep. Part of lyric is -> "and i whisper your secrets" if i still have normal ears. :D Anyone can give clue? Song title maybe...

Also, i want to say : Why you ram it (gate or other obstacle) when you can jump (Turbo Boost) or Why you jump (Turbo Boost) when you can ram at it? :good:

Again, overall this ep is AWESOME!!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:51 am

Question, on the Knight Writers' blog they said they had to edit out notable LA landmarks from the skyline, why? Just because of the nature of what was happening? Shows (including KR) have advertised their location in the past.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

::Jon::
Recruit

Post by ::Jon:: » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:36 am

My only gripe about this episode is that it only went for 40 odd minutes.
I would have watched this if went all knight long.

Very good stuff.
I agree windows should have been tinted.
Justin B is a great actor who can deliver a good line well.
Absolutely loved it.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:47 am

Where where Zoe and Billy so worried about "being exposed" by using an NSA satellite? and why is Kitt still a secret?

Please don't tell me FLAG is now a secret "unknown" organization.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:52 am

Please don't tell me FLAG is now a secret "unknown" organization.
Not necessarily (especially since there are bank accounts with its title). Though I recall that they were generally lenient regarding KITT's existence in the original, it's quite plausible for the private sector not to advertise something like KITT.

If word of it comes out, a number of things could happen. Too much publicity, hindering FLAG's work, corporate espionage, attempts to steal KITT, controversy among the public, even the government could come back and attempt to seize what is pretty much a private-owned super-weapon.

jshorva65
Recruit

Post by jshorva65 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:12 am

BlueChaos wrote:
David Whiteheart wrote:Great episode I just watched it a second time. Now we're back to the way KITT is supposed to be. Now if we keep getting kids involved in the show like what went on in TOS it will be a success.
Hey, I just noticed that this is maybe the FIRST New Knight Rider episode with a kid playing some quite large part in it. IIRC the other episodes had no involvement of kids at all and they being too serious. Maybe this is the first right step towards the right demographics and the family-friendly show that TOS used to be (though Zoe's cleavage show at the beginning of the show might be somewhat gratuitous too).

Also a small nitpicking here towards Zoe:
Zoe, if you let Billy hug you in the previous episode, then why not now? How inconsistent can you be in your attitude towards Billy? And we don't want to waste any more minutes watching this back and forth crap between you and Billy. The show got rid of Mike and Sarah's angle and it was for good. Now it's time for yours to go and for you to make up your mind.
Agreed that the interaction between KI3T and Maddie and the more family-friendly tone was among the best points of the episode. The sexual tension and attractions between Mike/Sarah and Billy/Zoey don't need to be done away with entirely, but I was glad to see them shown less blatantly. Mike referred to Sarah as his "girlfriend" at one point, implying their relationship has resumed. A relationship between them wouldn't hurt the quality of the show as long as "bedroom" scenes were minimized in duration and frequency and kept very tame to fit the 8PM time slot and avoid offending parents of the small children who should be considered an important target demographic.

As for Zoey and Billy, it's pretty clear that there's a mutual attraction but that Zoey is in very juvenile denial. Clearly, Billy appeals to some hidden feelings from her preteen years as a once-painfully-shy "tech geek girl" who only wished she had guts enough to approach ANY boy back then. Perhaps a late-bloomer who is torn between the fact that Billy doesn't fit the new "ultra-cool" persona she seems to be cultivating since whatever late age at which she might have blossomed and some hidden aspect of finding his being her intellectual equal a huge aphrodisiac. So, she has no problem sleeping snuggled in his arms on the tiny sofa, provided that she treats him like crap while awake, going so far as to make that crack about "drooling" as she woke up. I bet she drooled, too, but did a better job of concealing it.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:41 am

The last 4 episodes had only a transformation into Attack Mode, and even that in only one episode. This show has been SO MUCH better without all the transformations. I hope they keep it that way.

jshorva65
Recruit

Post by jshorva65 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 am

Kram061-1 wrote:The last 4 episodes had only a transformation into Attack Mode, and even that in only one episode. This show has been SO MUCH better without all the transformations. I hope they keep it that way.
Agreed. Believable transformations done in moderation are good. Attack Mode is a little too radical a change in shape to have much credibility (Where could that massive intake fit while in Normal Mode? Seems there wouldn't be room for an engine under the hood with it stuffed in there.). Less-radical transformations done less often work much better. Glad to see this episode prove that shape-changing doesn't need to be worked into every episode. This was the best episode so far.
jshorva65 wrote:As for Zoey and Billy, it's pretty clear that there's a mutual attraction but that Zoey is in very juvenile denial. Clearly, Billy appeals to some hidden feelings from her preteen years as a once-painfully-shy "tech geek girl" who only wished she had guts enough to approach ANY boy back then. Perhaps a late-bloomer who is torn between the fact that Billy doesn't fit the new "ultra-cool" persona she seems to be cultivating since whatever late age at which she might have blossomed and some hidden aspect of finding his being her intellectual equal a huge aphrodisiac. So, she has no problem sleeping snuggled in his arms on the tiny sofa, provided that she treats him like crap while awake, going so far as to make that crack about "drooling" as she woke up. I bet she drooled, too, but did a better job of concealing it.
Speaking from a similar personal experience here. Back in Junior High during the late 70s, a girl I'll call "Angie" seemed to go out of her way to be as rude as possible toward me. Some ten years later during our early post-college years, we happened to meet at some local bar where she confessed to having had this wild crush on me since Junior High without the slightest clue of how to approach me. One thing led to another, she and I dated briefly, but it was during one of the brief "off-again" periods about four years into a recurring "on-again/off-again" relationship I had been in which resumed soon after that and continued over a period spanning 8 years.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:44 am

jshorva65 wrote:Agreed that the interaction between KI3T and Maddie and the more family-friendly tone was among the best points of the episode.

Didn't a hostage get shot in the back? I'd hardly call that family friendly much less kid friendly. But I have seen numerous points in the show that is more for grown up's and I think this show isn't actually meant to be for kids.

It's overall tone is darker than TOS.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BobbyYoung82
Volunteer

Post by BobbyYoung82 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:49 am

Awsome ! Its the best episode yet.

Kitt
- Drove himself, (finnaly get to see a GT500 doing what I expect.. SMOKING TIRES)
- Had a personality (for the first time it was obvious)
- Although they were small, he did make his own decisions ( AI did what it should) and I understand him waiting for orders as he is a computer and even KI2T did that, many times KI2T would stand by when he could have done something.
- Was just bad ass :)

Micheal
- Really is growing on me, his acting seems sooo much better. This episode reaked of TOS. I LOVE IT

Things I also liked
- KITT didn't TRANSFORM YAY !!!!! I LOVE IT
- The interaction with KITT and the girl, awsome!
- The other members of the team were really only there providing us with intel, I kinda liked that. Not solving the mystery. Just giving hints or whatnot. I hope their role stays that way....
- There are plenty of other things but ofcourse now when trying to post I draw a blank....

just my love of night rider nitpicking :)
- When Mike rushed in to save girl, he ran past KITT saying call 911, why not grab his gun?
- When Mike put the cop in the car, he was 6 inches from the glove box... Grab the gun / earwick?
- Not fond of the blue energy rings identifing impacts. ( just show me a CGI spark... the cracked glass effect I do like)

Other stuff :)
- Zoe and Billy... yea, she acts like such a bia... but obviously likes him, so needs to not be such a.... bia..
- Tinted Windows.. I agree that they should be tinted. There is no reason to show the world what the car can do, save that for cute kids and other future guest stars. In this day and age there would be paparatzi and everything else all over trying to get a glimpse at the amasing SUPER CAR.. and not to mention youtube :P
- I liked that other guy lup1n's analogy about the Knight and his Ride.. Really did fit well into the story :)
- The ending felt like TOS, so many episodes ended like that. The group or atleast a few around KITT. Loved it, even if it did seem too short for whatever reason. I feel something was edited out of the end, makes sense since this was EP 17.. so yea all in all my favorite episode to date. Keep them like this and I don't see how there wont be a second season. yay KNIGHT RIDER :kitt2: <--- oh look.... Tinted windows :shock:

Sorry had to EDIT and add one more thing.

I I have a 5yo and 11yo both girls, and don't get me wrong... I am not telling someone how to raise their kids. I for one don't mind either way as I don't completely shelter my kids from reality.

Many of you comment on less T&A which is rediculous, because you dont mind at all that this show revolves around VIOLENCE. You will let your kids watch people get shot, but not make out or roll around in bed under the covers.. WOW haha.. just thought it was funny. In TOS Micheal was kissing every girl he met damn near. Sexual things were implied in many episodes. I realize they spent a bit of time focusing on how great Sarah looks but, seriously... have you watched some of the things younger kids watch on TV? They wear cloths in them shows I wouldn't allow my kids to wear and show relationships with boys and what not at an age they are too young for. Sorry RANT / off
Congratulations. You have successfully signed the petition: Save Knight Rider Signer # 2237

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 am

PunkMaister wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:That's all I wanted and they delivered. I can't complain. Last night's episode was what KR is all about. No weird conspiracies, no Mike/Sarah angst. Just KITT and Michael in a perilous situation working together and saving the day with KITT finally becoming more of a star than just a prop. That's all I ever wanted. I was impressed and pleased with last night's episode.
Well then I sure hope you did not write that letter urging NBC to cancel the show and forever bury the K.R franchise and if you did I suggest you write another one retracting from it quick!
I was bluffing. But I think the show is toast anyway. From what I've been reading its my understanding that Ben Silverman's focus was to get co production deals on shows and have advertisers products featured more prominently within the show itself. Knight Rider being a prime example of this strategy with Ford's presence being heavily featured on the show, ie. the transformations from the Mustang to an F150 to a Flex. The end result was a fall lineup that featured more product based programming than creative programming. I think it was a business strategy that didn't meet their expectations in the long run.

Angela Bromstad's comments seem to indicate that NBC is focusing on more live programming, like Leno's new program, and their strategy is to create new programming that will put NBC back on top as a ratings leader. Knight Rider doesn't fit into these plans based on the comments she's made about the direction NBC will be headed in. KR is never going to be a ratings leader. So I think best case scenario is they bring it back but put it in a death slot like Friday/Saturday nights and worst case scenario is that it gets canceled. But since Ford is involved the question becomes whether Ford will accept an airing of the show if its in a deathslot. From Ford's point of view they would want the show to air during peak hours b/c that's when they can advertise to a wide range of people. I just don't see them accepting an airing of the show on a Friday/Saturday night and if Ford is out KR ceases to exist b/c the whole point of KR08 is the deal b/c NBC and Ford. Personally, I don't think it will get to that level b/c I think Silverman's business strategy has not pleased NBC and Bromstad's comments are indicative of the show not returning b/c KR08 doesn't fit into the new direction NBC is headed in. Just my humble opinion.