To KR 08 haters...

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: To KR 08 haters...

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:33 am

TheGHOSTMAN 007 wrote: Also I do not understand how it is possible to HATE this show if you liked the original. I can understand that there could be things that people do not like but it is still Knight Rider
Actually it bares very little resemblance at all to Knight Rider, which I think is one of the things which eerks people. It's almost an exact copy of Viper, they've just made the car talk and called it Kitt. All other aspects of the show are very much Viper... Thats not to say that it's still not a good entertaining show and that I won't still tune in every week, but calling it Knight Rider is a bit of a stretch really. We've basically got Han Solo's son flying the Enterprise.
Also I find the acting greatly improving every week. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, it is okay to post what you do not like (in fact, it is good to do so, so that future episodes can improve) but some people seem to post HATE and I do not think a true Knight Rider fan should do that.
Yeah I agree with you there. The hate post's aren't needed. They're not constructive, or even thoughtful.

I think one thing that we need to remember is that the actors are still finding their way with the characters they play. This happens in all new shows. The actors need to get to be comfortable with each other and the character they are playing. This is only the forth episode after all.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:03 am

Rockatteer wrote:Actually it bares very little resemblance at all to Knight Rider, which I think is one of the things which eerks people. It's almost an exact copy of Viper, they've just made the car talk and called it Kitt. All other aspects of the show are very much Viper... Thats not to say that it's still not a good entertaining show and that I won't still tune in every week, but calling it Knight Rider is a bit of a stretch really. We've basically got Han Solo's son flying the Enterprise.
Yes, I understand that there are reasons that people do not like some of the changes on the new show, compared to the original. I also watched Viper but to be fully honest, I can't remember the show at all except that it had a Viper that could morph and was pretty much bullet proof. With Knight Rider, I still remembered most of the episodes years after I had seen them.

With me, even though KR08 is way different than the original, it still gives me the same feeling. When I see scenes of Mike and KI3T driving down a mostly empty road, it's almost like I am a kid again watching Michael and KI2T. I find the new Michael Knight to be a believable son to the original. I also find the new KITT to be getting better every week. I also, at first, hated the way KI3T transforms but I am starting to except it more each week. I try to think of it as an advancement of the Super Pursuit Mode.

Again, I can see why people who were fans of the original not really liking the new show, but I find it hard to believe that they could HATE the whole show. I guess I just wish that the haters would still watch the show and just post what they don't like. That way, the show would get even better ratings and could possibly keep improving.

Thanks for the reply. I did not mean to imply that all the original fans would love the show, just that I find it hard that they would HATE the show.

I also really, really hope they can get the original Michael and KITT as (recurring) guest stars. That would surely help the ratings and please the fans of old and new.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:34 am

My problem with the show isn't that it's not a recreation. I work in comics and legacy characters and next gen stuff happens sometimes, so I know things hafta go with the times and what not.

My problem with the show is that in "keeping with the times" the writing is sophomoric relying entirely on hot cars and hot chicks to draw in the crowds like most of the current shows. Granted, the 80s show wasn't Emmy caliber, but some of the stuff here just bewilders the mind. Like in the 1st ep where KITT says someone is coming fast; instead of acting like a soldier or ranger or whatever the hell his screwed up mind recalls, Mike just STANDS there instead of taking cover or running for KITT even though he knew someone was after the guy he was with. And then KITT just sits there and lets it all go down, screw the "learning computer" stuff. That could have played out very differently in order to create the neccessary conflict and not make the hero look like a total moron. Now maybe he didn't have enough time to do what I said, but then that becomes the fault of the editing department for cutting the scene wrong. And then there's the fact in the first 3 episodes alone you had two of the lead women strip down to almost nothing. Three. In. A. Row.

Next up, the overall look. Attack KITT is nuts enough without having that dumb KR on the bottom. It also could've been handled very differently and more realistically if you wanted to keep up with the times. And the transformations, really, are they neccessary? I feel it cheapens the purpose of having a supercar if it needs to become ANOTHER car in order to do certain tasks, like run across the desert. I was more impressed by a Trans Am going off-road than I ever will be a Ford 4x4. And the driving was also done poorly; green screens instead of filming on the roads. They don't even make the car look like its moving along a road.

And that's just for starters. Maybe some people can be happy that something Knight Rider is back on TV just because it is KR, but I've never been one of those people. I prefer if something is to continue a legacy of an established franchise it does so in a way that either IMPROVES the concept or honors the original. This show really does neither.
Very well said! I agree with you completely!
I prefer if something is to continue a legacy of an established franchise it does so in a way that either IMPROVES the concept or honors the original. This show really does neither
I guess you and I (and a couple others) are supporters of what the show WAS about. The rest are supporters of what he show HAS BECOME. Obviously, "the writing is sophomoric relying entirely on hot cars and hot chicks to draw in the crowds like most of the current shows" as you put works quite well with some people. The opinions are very diverse in this community, meaning that some say they want to trash KR08 and start all over and others want to keep it the way it is. The net result of what would benefit everyone is quite hard to determine and though some of us want a show that either improves the concept or honors TOS we are sadly asked to let go of that request.
The reality is not what people want, it's what they want - the producers, creators, writers, actors and what have you! Remember when they were about to announce the 2-hour-pilot, almost everyone were furious with the car. Now, majority seems to like the little black cockroach with unrealistic computerized wings and aerodynamics, WHY? Because the network forced us to allow the new Mustang, the new producer, the new actors.

Just because people have resentment towards the new show doesn't mean they should stop watching it. It's still a TV show called Knight Rider and all fans CAN relate to that even though it's not the way we want it to be.

One more thing, people say explicitly "haters". A hater is someone that hates Knight Rider for what it was and what it still is! A hater mocks people like us who enjoy talking about Knight Rider. A hater doesn't even watch Knight Rider. NONE of above fits into any active member of this forum because we all watch the very same show and naturally we have different opinions. I want to edit the new Knight Rider, not hate it!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Mike K
Rookie

Post by Mike K » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:31 am

Faithful Car KRO wrote:
Mike K wrote:Just wish they change the attack kitt - those big rear wheel - horrible :!: & not in keeping with the theme
And what pray-tell is the theme?
he is meant to be sleek, yet powerful, not OTT with dragster type wheels :roll: neons etc.... :|

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:33 am

Mike K wrote:
Faithful Car KRO wrote:
Mike K wrote:Just wish they change the attack kitt - those big rear wheel - horrible :!: & not in keeping with the theme
And what pray-tell is the theme?
he is meant to be sleek, yet powerful, not OTT with dragster type wheels :roll: neons etc.... :|
but i LOVE the GST attack mode......
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:40 am

knightprobe89 wrote:kr 08 the new series is horrible, the acting is bad, i have seen better acting in a soap opera, the storylines are horrible, the transforming into different vehicles is horrible, the mustang is lame because it is a stock mustang with a stock steering wheel,the dash is nothing to look at, just a stock dash. i had no problem with the 2 hr pilot it was a little more believable, the attack mustang from the pilot wasn't too bad. but this new attack mustang is rediculous looking, this series is basically an updated version of team knight rider. kr o8 will be very lucky if they make it past 1 season.
You speak the truth here.

This new series is a mess, bruce davison completely wasted in this one, this show lacks all of the charm, style and honesty of the original.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:30 am

knightprobe89 wrote:kr 08 the new series is horrible, the acting is bad, i have seen better acting in a soap opera, the storylines are horrible, the transforming into different vehicles is horrible, the mustang is lame because it is a stock mustang with a stock steering wheel,the dash is nothing to look at, just a stock dash. i had no problem with the 2 hr pilot it was a little more believable, the attack mustang from the pilot wasn't too bad. but this new attack mustang is rediculous looking, this series is basically an updated version of team knight rider. kr o8 will be very lucky if they make it past 1 season.
Oh the acting is that bad? Then by all means go watch soap operas, see-yah... :roll:

Sarguna
Stranger

Post by Sarguna » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 pm

it seems like you did not have any childhood . if you hate any knight rider let it be the old or new you have no childhood because you grew up watching soap operas and you cannot judge one's acting if you are not a professional in that field so go and tune in to your favourite soap opera and never return to this forum again and never ever insult KITT or The show or KARR. UNDERSTOOD

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Sarguna wrote:... never return to this forum again and never ever insult KITT or The show or KARR. UNDERSTOOD
I realize you're new here, but please drop the attitude. Thank you.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:45 am

Sarguna wrote:

it seems like you did not have any childhood . if you hate any knight rider let it be the old or new you have no childhood because you grew up watching soap operas and you cannot judge one's acting if you are not a professional in that field so go and tune in to your favourite soap opera and never return to this forum again and never ever insult KITT or The show or KARR. UNDERSTOOD
who said anything about hating knight rider, i love knight rider, i had some problems with kr08 before episode 9 but i have changed a lot of my views of kr08 since nbc fixed some things, besides this post is old news!!! and what right do you have to order me around and tell me not to post on this forum? i'm going to keep this reply civil otherwise i would have a few select words to tell you off!
in glen larson we trust.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:09 am

Sarguna wrote: it seems like you did not have any childhood . if you hate any knight rider let it be the old or new you have no childhood because you grew up watching soap operas and you cannot judge one's acting if you are not a professional in that field so go and tune in to your favourite soap opera and never return to this forum again and never ever insult KITT or The show or KARR. UNDERSTOOD
Do you realize you just bumped a topic that's over three months old? New to the forum or not, unless you're new to the internet it's no excuse not to pay attention to how old something is before responding to it and resurrecting topics that are this old..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knight14
Volunteer

Post by knight14 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:12 am

Wow this thread came from the dead,LOL.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:18 am

and yet people till bring this old topic up..haven't we passed this?
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:44 am

TheGHOSTMAN 007 wrote: I find it hard to believe that they could HATE the whole show.
I think you'll find there's no-one (well maybe only 1) fan that hate the whole show. Most people are just disgruntled with various aspects of the changes which where made.

And I think now that the shows moved into it's second phase (the reboot) and (hopefully) many of the concerns have or will be addressed, these people will be much happier with this new version.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Rockatteer wrote:
TheGHOSTMAN 007 wrote: I find it hard to believe that they could HATE the whole show.
I think you'll find there's no-one (well maybe only 1) fan that hate the whole show. Most people are just disgruntled with various aspects of the changes which where made.

And I think now that the shows moved into it's second phase (the reboot) and (hopefully) many of the concerns have or will be addressed, these people will be much happier with this new version.
Agreed and since all the I hate the show threads were closed I propose that this thread is too closed by the mods and adm. of the board... :good:

David
Rookie

Post by David » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:
My problem with the show isn't that it's not a recreation. I work in comics and legacy characters and next gen stuff happens sometimes, so I know things hafta go with the times and what not.

My problem with the show is that in "keeping with the times" the writing is sophomoric relying entirely on hot cars and hot chicks to draw in the crowds like most of the current shows. Granted, the 80s show wasn't Emmy caliber, but some of the stuff here just bewilders the mind. Like in the 1st ep where KITT says someone is coming fast; instead of acting like a soldier or ranger or whatever the hell his screwed up mind recalls, Mike just STANDS there instead of taking cover or running for KITT even though he knew someone was after the guy he was with. And then KITT just sits there and lets it all go down, screw the "learning computer" stuff. That could have played out very differently in order to create the neccessary conflict and not make the hero look like a total moron. Now maybe he didn't have enough time to do what I said, but then that becomes the fault of the editing department for cutting the scene wrong. And then there's the fact in the first 3 episodes alone you had two of the lead women strip down to almost nothing. Three. In. A. Row.

Next up, the overall look. Attack KITT is nuts enough without having that dumb KR on the bottom. It also could've been handled very differently and more realistically if you wanted to keep up with the times. And the transformations, really, are they neccessary? I feel it cheapens the purpose of having a supercar if it needs to become ANOTHER car in order to do certain tasks, like run across the desert. I was more impressed by a Trans Am going off-road than I ever will be a Ford 4x4. And the driving was also done poorly; green screens instead of filming on the roads. They don't even make the car look like its moving along a road.

And that's just for starters. Maybe some people can be happy that something Knight Rider is back on TV just because it is KR, but I've never been one of those people. I prefer if something is to continue a legacy of an established franchise it does so in a way that either IMPROVES the concept or honors the original. This show really does neither.
Very well said! I agree with you completely!
I prefer if something is to continue a legacy of an established franchise it does so in a way that either IMPROVES the concept or honors the original. This show really does neither
I guess you and I (and a couple others) are supporters of what the show WAS about. The rest are supporters of what he show HAS BECOME. Obviously, "the writing is sophomoric relying entirely on hot cars and hot chicks to draw in the crowds like most of the current shows" as you put works quite well with some people. The opinions are very diverse in this community, meaning that some say they want to trash KR08 and start all over and others want to keep it the way it is. The net result of what would benefit everyone is quite hard to determine and though some of us want a show that either improves the concept or honors TOS we are sadly asked to let go of that request.
The reality is not what people want, it's what they want - the producers, creators, writers, actors and what have you! Remember when they were about to announce the 2-hour-pilot, almost everyone were furious with the car. Now, majority seems to like the little black cockroach with unrealistic computerized wings and aerodynamics, WHY? Because the network forced us to allow the new Mustang, the new producer, the new actors.

Just because people have resentment towards the new show doesn't mean they should stop watching it. It's still a TV show called Knight Rider and all fans CAN relate to that even though it's not the way we want it to be.

One more thing, people say explicitly "haters". A hater is someone that hates Knight Rider for what it was and what it still is! A hater mocks people like us who enjoy talking about Knight Rider. A hater doesn't even watch Knight Rider. NONE of above fits into any active member of this forum because we all watch the very same show and naturally we have different opinions. I want to edit the new Knight Rider, not hate it!
Missed this thread the first time around, but the above post pretty much sums up my feelings on KR2008 - though I'm glad now that I stuck with the show through the reboot - I really enjoyed Exit Knight, Enter Knight (well right up until it came unglued in the final 5 mins). It felt great to actually be having fun while watching Knight Rider again!

As an aside, I have found the rather nasty tone of many of the posts "hating" on supposed "haters" to be a little unsettling.

To express one's frustration is one thing: to do it aggressively is quite another. All this macho "calling people out" crap is, as I believe you Americans would put it, rather "a drag."