Katie and Lisa.

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

sebhaque
Volunteer

Katie and Lisa.

Post by sebhaque » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:53 pm

From the new Knight Rider - the robots used to paint/scan KITT.

Image (link http://i43.tinypic.com/2605u8z.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Just thought I'd post one of the robots I work with - this one's called Abby as it's an ABB. I know it needs a clean, but p'raps it's a bigger sister to our Knight Rider chums? This old girl stands a good few metres tall.

sebhaque
Volunteer

Re: Katie and Lisa.

Post by sebhaque » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:58 pm

Don't leave me hanging :(

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:29 pm

Perhaps. I don't know where the Knight Rider production team got the robot props, but ti is quite possible that they come from the same line as yours do. I did really like the robots...
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Sue » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:15 pm

I did some looking and found some really cool info on Katie, Lisa and Hank. Let us know if they are the distant relatives of your robot.
Follow the link to the story.
http://knightrideronline.com/news/2009/ ... k.php#more" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:27 pm

It was a very interesting read, Sue. Thanks for the find! :good:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

sebhaque
Volunteer

Post by sebhaque » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks Sue, nice find. Coincidentally after I read that I clicked back to the KRO main page and there was a little link to Katie, Lisa and Hank in the news section.

Abby is an ABB IRB 4400 with a general payload of 60kg - we only use her for moving fixtures from machine to machine; however when they go wrong and get stuck she's quite happy to pick up a 4-ton CMM machine. Bit bigger than Katie and Lisa but it's always nice to see her little sisters.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:38 am

Interesting topic as there's one Fanuc industrial robot as well at the factory I work. It's kind of neat that the robots in Knight Rider and the one at my job are from the same manufacturer, though different models as the one in my job is FANUC Robot R-2000iB 165F. It's feeding/unloading a Homag CNC machine.
I'm not the one working with the robot though but here's a pic of it:

sebhaque
Volunteer

Post by sebhaque » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:49 pm

KITTFan - that's pretty cool. What industry do you work in? I work in the aerospace industry, that ABB moves workpieces between a CMM, a loading table, and a Magerle grinding machine. That Fanuc of yours looks a lot bigger than Abby - although I've been on a robocoaster which is basically a gigantic KUKA robot that swings a two-seater gondola around.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:27 pm

sebhaque wrote:KITTFan - that's pretty cool. What industry do you work in? I work in the aerospace industry, that ABB moves workpieces between a CMM, a loading table, and a Magerle grinding machine. That Fanuc of yours looks a lot bigger than Abby - although I've been on a robocoaster which is basically a gigantic KUKA robot that swings a two-seater gondola around.
I work in woodworking industry. The heaviest items I think are approximately 100kg this robot have to move to and from the cnc machine. Other machines in the factory I work have just "regular" stacking devices to load the items to the production line and unload & stack them at the end of it.