Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Ontario Knight
Operative

Re: Live Discussion - Exit Light, Enter Knight

Post by Ontario Knight » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:59 pm

I figure that this will draw 5.5 millin and about 3.4/5 in viewing share what do you all think

LisaRosa
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by LisaRosa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:01 pm

I loved this episode! The interaction between Kitt and Maddie definitely reminds me of TOS. I loved the fact that the SSC is decked out with a couch and a little bit of the rubble left over from when the feds tore it apart. Kitt's sense of humor is getting way better and Val Kilmar seems to be more comfortable in doing the voice too. My only issue is that the ending was really short. My mom watches the show with me and she even commented that the scene with Maddie's parents, Kitt and the others was too short, like something was cut out. I still liked the way they reacted when Maddie started telling her parents about Kitt, though. She's a doll. :D
Lisa :kittside:

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 pm

I really enjoyed the episode tonight. I thought it was well written and directed. It kept me guessing. It was well paced with a good amount of suspense and action. The fight scenes were well executed. I liked the humor in the beginning. I thought it was a very solid episode and was way better than last week's.

I so hope NBC doesn't cancel this. The show is getting creatively on track. I'm concerned the network is doing zero promotion for the series and feel like they are just buring off these episodes. Knight Rider has a lot going for it and I want more.

I think the creative team are starting to get it and tonight was a big step in the right direction.

divalover159
Volunteer

Post by divalover159 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 pm

i'm so pissed i mist 30 minutes of the show tonight because of my local nbc station went out due to bad weather. so i mist 30 minutes of it. but what i did see was very good. i liked it. heres to season two ----------> :good: live on KNIGHT RIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:24 pm

[
LisaRosa wrote:My only issue is that the ending was really short. My mom watches the show with me and she even commented that the scene with Maddie's parents, Kitt and the others was too short, like something was cut out. I still liked the way they reacted when Maddie started telling her parents about Kitt, though. She's a doll. :D
Yeah, I loved the Maddie thing too at the end, it was cute but not overly so. I surprised myself by actually cracking a grin. As for the ending, yeah, it was kind of short....but that's that episode formula, so no real surprise there. Gotta tie up the loose ends in 45 minutes, and I think they did a great job of it. As you said, though, that scene with the family was a little short.....it makes me wonder if the episode had more footage but NBC's edits removed some of it.
tmtcnya wrote:The episode had a great plot, but what did the girl find in the vault?
I can't remember correctly, as I'm not really up on the terminology or the system, but she found a lot of bonds, or something like that. From what I understood, they were deeds to overseas accounts filled with money, and the hostage they had was able to provide the code names to open the accounts.
Lost Knight wrote:Well, I felt the episode's more serious tone was definitely a step in the right direction. But I found myself bored through a lot of it, for some reason. I kept feeling like the episode was missing something and then I figured out what it was. There was no Mike driving with K.I.T.T. and doing stunts, K.I.T.T. didn't turbo boost and no car chase.
I get where you're coming from - about halfway through the episode, I was a little bored as well, although still loving the show and the plot. I realize now that it wasn't boredom; it was excitement. I was itching for some action because the story was great! I guess I had that little kid feeling where you can't wait for something cool to happen.

I REALLY enjoyed the driving scenes in this one. I remember a thread in here mentioning a new FX team specifically for the driving scenes, and I think I really saw it come into play here. The driving scenes with KI3T were great (and I know it's lame, but I totally love seeing KI3T pulling powerslides and 180s with screeching tires when they aren't necessary, like when he pulled into the hospital. He had to be doing, like, 25... :P).

I don't mind not having a turbo boost every episode, and I think it actually gives the show a little more credibility - as much as we all love Turbo Boost, it IS a LITTLE cheesy (come on, guys, I know I'll probably be flamed for this, but you know it's at least a little true) and I'm glad that they didn't force it into this episode. I say use it if it works well in context, in the situation, but don't try to force it in an episode just to appease the fans. Something like that makes for bad writing. (With that said, I do advocate the use of Turbo Boost and I do want to see it; I just don't want to get tired of it.)

In short, I loved everything about this ep - KI3T's interaction, the characters, Billy and Zoey, Mike totally being a badass in the face of extreme danger, the use of the name Michael Knight (it seems that, in this iteration of Knight Rider, that name is more of a cover name than anything; his friends call him Mike Traceur...but then again, these episodes are out of order now so maybe there was a story element for his name change), KI3T's awesome driving scenes, the little girl....basically, it was a really good ride. I will be watching this again on Hulu in hi-def since I missed about five minutes of the ep.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Karman
Stranger

Post by Karman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:26 pm

I haven't had a chance to see this episode yet, but from what I'm reading here it sounds like they've gotten back to what Knight Rider is in our minds and what Knight Rider should be; 'one man and his inseperable partner fantastic car' with Mike and Kitt being the focus and the others being 'support' and not a focal point. I've been very critical of this new series as noted in the contructive criticism thread but if this is the direction they are going then kudos and thank god. I'm looking forward to seeing this episode...
"Michael Michael stop it!"

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:34 pm

Karman wrote:I haven't had a chance to see this episode yet, but from what I'm reading here it sounds like they've gotten back to what Knight Rider is in our minds and what Knight Rider should be; 'one man and his inseperable partner fantastic car' with Mike and Kitt being the focus and the others being 'support' and not a focal point. I've been very critical of this new series as noted in the contructive criticism thread but if this is the direction they are going then kudos and thank god. I'm looking forward to seeing this episode...
You will enjoy it. As for the last post before yours I agree you don't have to see turbo boost every episode it loses it reality. TOS didn't TB every episode KR08 doesn't either true fans understand that.

dcpan
Volunteer

Post by dcpan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:49 pm

Easily best episode thus far!

I got 12 minutes left on the show as I type this.

I don't even mind the blatant Microsoft/Windows advertisement! (Not going to make me buy VISTA though)

arhskr81
Rookie

Post by arhskr81 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:56 pm

I'm thinking that the big suprise was not shown, and MAYBE and a big MAYBE at that is that while at the hospital, someone from TOS shows up and something like that.

ssilipino
Volunteer

Post by ssilipino » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:03 am

Any one know where I can watch it online know? I missed it and can't wait for iTunes tomorrow

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 am

I'm going to side with the minority on this one; I didn't think this was a strong episode.

If KARR should have been a two-parter, this episode should have been 30 minutes. There was a lot of "vamping" with little to move the plot forward. Gunfight ran a bit long; the tunnel chase ran long. And very little of the action involved KITT.

The storyline by itself was fine. There wasn't really anything "bad" about the episode, just nothing to make it stand out.

A few small things I did like:

When Mike said he needed coffee, I was terrified that KITT would pour him a cup. Glad he didn't.
I like that this wasn't an assignment; it was just something Mike stumbled into.
I like seeing the self-healing-windows.
Good to see KITT moving his own steering wheel (although we need to see KITT driving without tinted windows.
Mike: "You're gonna hit me again when I tell you... KITT's my car.... OWWWW... I saw that coming." Funny stuff.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

egomez2777
Volunteer

Post by egomez2777 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:14 am

I think they are heading in the right direction with the feel of the show, but the ending was lacking a bit. Kind of quick ending to a suspenseful episode. Although this episode is probably best suited for season two after the rise of FLAG is unfolded and they go on their missions, it was a good episode. Shades of the old Knight Rider.

On a side note... would anyone like to see the new KITT in convertable mode? :kittconv:
K.I.T.T.: "Don't worry Sarah, I got this!"

knight14
Volunteer

Post by knight14 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:14 am

You guys and gals need to remember about the episode shifts before tonight. You remember Sue pointing out about "clearing the set" at the end of this episode. Now that the episodes changed (as this episode was the last of the season originally) they had to edit out the surprise ending/cliffhanger of course. So please don't get all pissy about why the ending was short as it was a last minute edit I believe.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:25 am

egomez2777 wrote:I think they are heading in the right direction with the feel of the show, but the ending was lacking a bit. Kind of quick ending to a suspenseful episode. Although this episode is probably best suited for season two after the rise of FLAG is unfolded and they go on their missions, it was a good episode. Shades of the old Knight Rider.

On a side note... would anyone like to see the new KITT in convertable mode? :kittconv:
Um, we HAVE seen KI3T in convertible mode, in "Knight of the living dead."
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

egomez2777
Volunteer

Post by egomez2777 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:28 am

KRAvengerII wrote:
egomez2777 wrote:I think they are heading in the right direction with the feel of the show, but the ending was lacking a bit. Kind of quick ending to a suspenseful episode. Although this episode is probably best suited for season two after the rise of FLAG is unfolded and they go on their missions, it was a good episode. Shades of the old Knight Rider.

Um, we HAVE seen KI3T in convertible mode, in "Knight of the living dead."
I think i may have missed that episode. Maybe i would have remembered it if they installed a huge white "C" button like in the original.

Nebet1573
Stranger

Post by Nebet1573 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 am

Am I the only one that doesn't really mind the whole "Kitt driving with the windows tinted" thing? :) I mean, he *is* supposed to be a secret, plus they did use the window tinting bit every so often in TOS. :) I would rather see him driving that way instead of playing "Spot the Stunt Driver in the Backseat". :mrgreen:
"You know what confuses me?"
"There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you."
"Oh, snap!"
"Yes, Michael. Snap."

Adriano10
Stranger

Post by Adriano10 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:34 am

hi too everyone! i have been a member forever but i have never posted anything. i just wanted to say that knight rider is getting better this was a great episode. i loved the girl and KITT interaction it reminded me of old school Knight rider. i also signed the petition to save the show i was number 177 i think, i also made my sister sign it and she loves this knight rider more than the old one. i have truly loved the last 4 episodes the only thing that angered me was that i didn't see enough of KARR. what else can i write in my first post, lets see i think we should see more turbo boost, ski mode and kitt going through walls. i hope we get a second season!

emilio

egomez2777
Volunteer

Post by egomez2777 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:39 am

Nebet1573 wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't really mind the whole "Kitt driving with the windows tinted" thing? :) I mean, he *is* supposed to be a secret, plus they did use the window tinting bit every so often in TOS. :) I would rather see him driving that way instead of playing "Spot the Stunt Driver in the Backseat". :mrgreen:
2 quick things...
1st: It's funny how the hospital workers took the little girl out of KITT but it didn't dawn on then that it looked like a little girl was driving a mustang.

2nd: What's "TOS"? I'm trying to learn the lingo. :dash4:

Rainack
FLAG Recruit

Post by Rainack » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:42 am

I really enjoyed this episode.

Did anyone notice the changed intro. Wow! That was so very close to TOS intro. I still love the new intro music. I hope they put out a soundtrack!

I so loved the line when Mike told the guy he was going to hit him again when he said who Kitt was. :kittside:

Maddie was SO cute, too! I found it rather odd, though that the hospital workers didn't comment on how Maddie "drove." Then there was K.I.T.T. peeling out before the hospital workers had even gotten inside the building. Hello! Car driving by itself! You are SUPPOSED to stare in DISBELIEF!

This episode very nearly made me forget all about last episode!
To read my fanfictions, go to fanfiction.net and search for my screen name, Rainack.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:16 am

I absolutely loved this episode!
It had a smooth feeling of KR to me...
The introduction scene of everyone exhausted was wonderful!
The scenes with little Maddie were great!
The whole episode was just awesome to me and I can't wait to rewatch it again.

Thank You all KR cast and Crew for such a great episode!
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Nebet1573
Stranger

Post by Nebet1573 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:24 am

egomez2777 wrote:
Nebet1573 wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't really mind the whole "Kitt driving with the windows tinted" thing? :) I mean, he *is* supposed to be a secret, plus they did use the window tinting bit every so often in TOS. :) I would rather see him driving that way instead of playing "Spot the Stunt Driver in the Backseat". :mrgreen:
2 quick things...
1st: It's funny how the hospital workers took the little girl out of KITT but it didn't dawn on then that it looked like a little girl was driving a mustang.

I know! I thought the same thing. They didn't seem to have much of a reaction to her being in the driver's seat. Some will blame lazy writing but I'm just going to go with the worker's being in a rush and not really paying attention to that little detail until after the fact, and by then it was too late to do anything about it. :o

2nd: What's "TOS"? I'm trying to learn the lingo. :dash4:

"T"he "O"riginal "S"eries. :good:
"You know what confuses me?"
"There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you."
"Oh, snap!"
"Yes, Michael. Snap."

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:28 am

I don't even mind the blatant Microsoft/Windows advertisement!
I do. I expected KITT to pop a blue screen and need rebooting before he could help Mike.

There were your standard logical inconsistencies (regarding KITT himself mainly, when he drove to the hospital or when he was pretty much given free pass to drive up and down near the bank), but that was the least of my concerns.

Do you know what's incredibly funny, seeing the reaction from this episode? Change a few details here and there and this could've been fitted easily into the old direction. Throw Mike in the bank purposefully, replace robbers with terrorists and you more-or-less have the same thing you did 'till now. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I liked the show then just as well- I just find it interesting.

All these aside, I wasn't thrilled by the episode. I had fun, but the opening shootout was all over the place and I kind of lost interest in the heist half-way through. Not technically a bad episode, just nothing there to remember tomorrow.

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 am

I loved this episode to and think that the show is finally moving in the right direction with making it more like the original. And I didn't really mind the tinted windows. I like that they didn't use attack mode (at least I don't remember it if they did) and they only used the minor characters as a secound pair of eyes and didn't show them as much as they did Mike. I expected this episode to be one of the lesser ones in support because of the episodes coming from GST's writing that we have seen before but it was GREAT. I hope that the show will stay great for the remander of the season and will justify a second season.

P.S. Egomez TOS means "The original series"
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 am

I loved this episode to and think that the show is finally moving in the right direction with making it more like the original. And I didn't really mind the tinted windows. I like that they didn't use attack mode (at least I don't remember it if they did) and they only used the minor characters as a secound pair of eyes and didn't show them as much as they did Mike. I expected this episode to be one of the lesser ones in support because of the episodes coming from GST's writing that we have seen before but it was GREAT. I hope that the show will stay great for the remander of the season and will justify a second season.

P.S. Egomez TOS means "The original series"

Edit: sry for the double post a reply was made before I could delete it.
Last edited by t.b.77b on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 am

My_Friend_KITT wrote:I absolutely loved this episode!
It had a smooth feeling of KR to me...
The introduction scene of everyone exhausted was wonderful!
The scenes with little Maddie were great!
The whole episode was just awesome to me and I can't wait to rewatch it again.

Thank You all KR cast and Crew for such a great episode!
AGREED!

I'm also starting to feel like this is a show I can watch with my six year old daughter. I watched TOS when I was six, so it means a lot to me. I'm pretty lenient on what Auralia can watch, but the blatant T&A in the other episodes, and that one scene last ep really crossed a line with me. So I am happy to see the direction we are heading in.