Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Re: Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Rockatteer wrote:There's something I don't get.

Karr is suppose to be as strong as Kitt right?

so how is it that Kitt was able to blow right through Karr as if he was normal glass and metal?
I'd imagine that after KI3T ripped out part of KARR's chassis with his grapple hook, KARR was very vulnerable at that point. Additionally, KARR was still in prototype stage even with KI3T's chip, so he likely wasn't as durable as KI3T due to testing stages.

As for the Mustang thing....well, I figure that's just a shell. In the previous episode with KI3T, Mike, and Sarah stuck on the C-130 during a storm, KI3T mentioned the Knight Autocybernetic Roving Robot Exoskeleton, which showed KARR in car mode with no exterior shell (he looked like a large go-kart, hah). Maybe the Mustang shell is just one of many possible exteriors chosen for KARR.

That's a pretty far out explanation (and it's just speculation), but hey, you do the best with what you're given.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:54 pm

here's a question- how did KARR know Mike changed his name? When they were paired before, he was still Mike Traceur!
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 am

KRAvengerII wrote:here's a question- how did KARR know Mike changed his name? When they were paired before, he was still Mike Traceur!
Maybe from KITT's CPU? I'm not sure...

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:10 am

we can make up things why did or how did KARR do this.............the answer is........the writers felt like it.

but KARR was awesome for 3 mins :-)
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:25 am

Lynda414 wrote:
KRAvengerII wrote:here's a question- how did KARR know Mike changed his name? When they were paired before, he was still Mike Traceur!
Maybe from KITT's CPU? I'm not sure...
KI3T keeps an internal database. This, along with his memories, were part of his core - so when they yanked the chip, they got KI3T's database, his memories, and his core programming. As such, KARR would have access to current information.

If they bring KARR back, if the show does continue, it would be interesting to see where that goes. If KARR does have KI3T's memories, he could really psychologically screw with both KI3T and Mike....it would be really interesting to see, but I figure it's a long shot.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Knight_uk
Volunteer

Post by Knight_uk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:58 am

BobbyYoung82 wrote:First time posting a screen shot... I hope it works

Well its not as clear as it looked on my screen :) but The scanner moves back and forth on the monitor and looks like the one from the original Trans Am version :karr:

Well spotted and thanks for sharing it with everyone, I have looked at this several times now and I can't make my mind up wether it's just a nod to TOS. My other theory is a bit more interesting. If somebody from the NSA or government had salvaged anything from KARR after KITT vs KARR in TOS, this could have been a computer terminal/hard drive containing KARR's original programming. Charles could have been drafted in to help them modify and update the program to install in a military machine/vehicle. If this is the case then the NSA still have the original KARR programming in that computer. Therefore KARR would technically still exist in some form or another.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws or my imagination is running away but it is something to think about. KARR could come back somehow if we get a season 2.
MK: All these buttons and gadgets and there's no radio?
K.I.T.T.: What would you like to hear?

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:17 pm

If you really think about it, Karr could come back at any point, at any time. I doubt the military would spend so much money creating this amazing AI without having a few back up copies of it. All you'd need is the big robot. Didn't they say at one point they wanted more than one? I thought Graimen said something about it when he first mentioned Karr. (The whole "not again" thing? Maybe? -shrug-)

Oh and kudos on that scanner spot :P I had no clue that was there! Awesome.
---
Kitt the Cat, but you can call me Spiff.

Billy: "I just ask cause it sounds like Kitt's making you his bitch..."
Mike: "Get back to the math BILLY!"

Knight_uk
Volunteer

Post by Knight_uk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:53 pm

kittxthexcat wrote:If you really think about it, Karr could come back at any point, at any time. I doubt the military would spend so much money creating this amazing AI without having a few back up copies of it. All you'd need is the big robot. Didn't they say at one point they wanted more than one? I thought Graimen said something about it when he first mentioned Karr. (The whole "not again" thing? Maybe? -shrug-)

Bobbyyoung82 I think it is needs to take the credit, I never spotted it til I read his post, even after that it took a few replays to spot the left to right scanning like in TOS. :good:

Somebody on IMDB said that when KITT's memories were being uploaded at the end of the episode, when all the images were flashing up on the monitors, an image of KARR going over the cliff in Trust Doesn't Rust flashed up for a split second. Haven't checked it out yet myself though.

:dash:

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Knight_uk wrote:
kittxthexcat wrote:If you really think about it, Karr could come back at any point, at any time. I doubt the military would spend so much money creating this amazing AI without having a few back up copies of it. All you'd need is the big robot. Didn't they say at one point they wanted more than one? I thought Graimen said something about it when he first mentioned Karr. (The whole "not again" thing? Maybe? -shrug-)

Bobbyyoung82 I think it is needs to take the credit, I never spotted it til I read his post, even after that it took a few replays to spot the left to right scanning like in TOS. :good:

Somebody on IMDB said that when KITT's memories were being uploaded at the end of the episode, when all the images were flashing up on the monitors, an image of KARR going over the cliff in Trust Doesn't Rust flashed up for a split second. Haven't checked it out yet myself though.

If that's true it would be hilarious b/c the car that went off the cliff in Trust Doesn't Rust was stock footage from an old film and the car looked to be an old 1950s chevy, not the Trans Am.

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:

If that's true it would be hilarious b/c the car that went off the cliff in Trust Doesn't Rust was stock footage from an old film and the car looked to be an old 1950s chevy, not the Trans Am.[/quote]

I would love to see that XD I just watched that episode yesterday and couldn't stop laughing after that. Oh man, TDR was just a long string of clips from other episodes/movies pasted together. So funny. Especially the part where Kitt from Slammin' Sammy's Stuntshow with all the stars on him is supposed to be Karr XD
---

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Speaking of which, isn't there still a duplicate AI of KI3T that wasn't loaded in KARR, out there somewhere?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:08 pm

kittxthexcat wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:

If that's true it would be hilarious b/c the car that went off the cliff in Trust Doesn't Rust was stock footage from an old film and the car looked to be an old 1950s chevy, not the Trans Am.

I would love to see that XD I just watched that episode yesterday and couldn't stop laughing after that. Oh man, TDR was just a long string of clips from other episodes/movies pasted together. So funny. Especially the part where Kitt from Slammin' Sammy's Stuntshow with all the stars on him is supposed to be Karr XD[/quote]

Yeah they reused a lot of stock shots especially of KITT driving. So many continuity errors on that show with the headlights and stuff.

Knight_uk
Volunteer

Post by Knight_uk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:53 pm

"If that's true it would be hilarious b/c the car that went off the cliff in Trust Doesn't Rust was stock footage from an old film and the car looked to be an old 1950s chevy, not the Trans Am."

The film was called "The Car"

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:43 am

Knight_uk wrote:"If that's true it would be hilarious b/c the car that went off the cliff in Trust Doesn't Rust was stock footage from an old film and the car looked to be an old 1950s chevy, not the Trans Am."

The film was called "The Car"

Yup, it's an old horror film. I used to own it on VHS. It's on DVD too.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Knight_uk wrote: Somebody on IMDB said that when KITT's memories were being uploaded at the end of the episode, when all the images were flashing up on the monitors, an image of KARR going over the cliff in Trust Doesn't Rust flashed up for a split second. Haven't checked it out yet myself though.
No, I think those are images of Mike's friend going off the cliff in Journey To The End Of Knight. Too bad though that would have been cool.
Untitled-7.jpg
Untitled-7.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 18366 times
Untitled-6.jpg
Untitled-6.jpg (18.5 KiB) Viewed 18365 times
I wonder if those lights were intentionally placed in the shot.
Untitled-8.jpg
Untitled-8.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 18363 times
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Sue wrote: I wonder if those lights were intentionally placed in the shot.
Untitled-8.jpg
Probaby, remember, they were using back-up generators so they must be using those as lights........
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:21 pm

-is confused on what the lights are O.o- Are you talking about the ones on the wall there? Or those "Pixar" lamps in that one episode I can't remember? lol
---

Milkman
Recruit

Post by Milkman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:31 pm

I have been reading this on and off since the last episode. I hate to repeat what everyone has already said, but just in case the writers actually read this site:
  • I think that a lot of the people on here are either overly dramatic or overly critical. I am too much of a fan to say that I would never watch it again
  • I agree, that there was not nearly enough KARR screen time. Typically (in TOS) there was almost 50/50 KARR/KITT face time. The end did feel very rushed to me as well, which made me very uncomfortable. I remember checking to see how much time was left near the end and was thinking that it would be a 2 parter for sure, since there was no way they could wrap it up in time.
  • I am shocked we didn't even see anything in the end indicating that KARR may come back in the future (as we saw in TOS).
Overall I thought the episode was ok overall. The KARR thing was a bit overhyped considering how little time he got.

I am half way through watching last nights episode, and so far I like it A LOT. It has that old Knight Rider feeling.

Sardanar
Stranger

Post by Sardanar » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:39 am

The one major problem that I had with this episode was not the fight scene (which I have to admit was a little - ok, VERY - short), or the editing, or anything else that people have mentioned before.

No, my real problem with this episode was that KARR's vehicle form was a Mustang. Considering that (in this reality) KARR was originally designed for combat in Iraq, a Mustang makes absolutely no sense at all! A Hummer, or a Land Rover, or some other form of vehicle that would be able to cross desert sands easily would make much more sense that to have his base form being a vehicle that is designed for URBAN use...

This either implies that KARR has the same transforming capabilities as KITT, or the writers wanted to keep KARR as the same vehicle as KITT for the sake of the fans (who naturally want KARR to be KITT's twin as it was in the original series). The trouble is that it doesn't fit with THIS KARR's back story.

This series still has a lot of potential, but the staff working on the series either can't see it or are unwilling to use it. And I do think that some of the problems that they are having (not all, by any means, but certainly some of them) come from us, the fans...

I think that they are trying to update the series to fit in with modern life, while trying not to alienate the fans of TOS. And because they are trying to compromise between old-school fans and the vision that they have of a 'successful' series these days, they are failing on all counts. The main reason BSG was successful was that the creators had a vision for a new series and stuck to it. The people working on KR don't seem to know what they want. Or, more to the point, they know what they want, but it turns out that what they want isn't what we, the fans, want. From some of the discussions I have seen here, a lot of the fans won't be happy unless they get an exact copy of the original (which is what the reboot looks likely to give us...)

Anyway, that's my opinion anyway. Hope I haven't offended anyone with this, but it just seems to me that one reason why KR08 is failing is because the die-hard OS fans won't be happy with anything less than seeing TOS brought back with new effects...

BobbyYoung82
Volunteer

Post by BobbyYoung82 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:09 am

Really the mustang is easy to explain.... It was part of KI3T's programming... maybe it was left on his CHIP that was put into KARR. KARR knew KITT was in Mustang form... What better to chase him down in then another Mustang... Works for me? lol but If you insist on just being nitpicky go for it.
Congratulations. You have successfully signed the petition: Save Knight Rider Signer # 2237

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:31 am

kittxthexcat wrote: Didn't they say at one point they wanted more than one?
Imagine an ep with an army of KARRs!
Not gonna happen but it'd have been awesome! If done properly of course!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:59 pm

Sardanar wrote:The one major problem that I had with this episode was not the fight scene (which I have to admit was a little - ok, VERY - short), or the editing, or anything else that people have mentioned before.

No, my real problem with this episode was that KARR's vehicle form was a Mustang. Considering that (in this reality) KARR was originally designed for combat in Iraq, a Mustang makes absolutely no sense at all! A Hummer, or a Land Rover, or some other form of vehicle that would be able to cross desert sands easily would make much more sense that to have his base form being a vehicle that is designed for URBAN use...

This either implies that KARR has the same transforming capabilities as KITT, or the writers wanted to keep KARR as the same vehicle as KITT for the sake of the fans (who naturally want KARR to be KITT's twin as it was in the original series). The trouble is that it doesn't fit with THIS KARR's back story.

This series still has a lot of potential, but the staff working on the series either can't see it or are unwilling to use it. And I do think that some of the problems that they are having (not all, by any means, but certainly some of them) come from us, the fans...

I think that they are trying to update the series to fit in with modern life, while trying not to alienate the fans of TOS. And because they are trying to compromise between old-school fans and the vision that they have of a 'successful' series these days, they are failing on all counts. The main reason BSG was successful was that the creators had a vision for a new series and stuck to it. The people working on KR don't seem to know what they want. Or, more to the point, they know what they want, but it turns out that what they want isn't what we, the fans, want. From some of the discussions I have seen here, a lot of the fans won't be happy unless they get an exact copy of the original (which is what the reboot looks likely to give us...)

Anyway, that's my opinion anyway. Hope I haven't offended anyone with this, but it just seems to me that one reason why KR08 is failing is because the die-hard OS fans won't be happy with anything less than seeing TOS brought back with new effects...
Yeah well, so much for that.

Maybe you have been lurking but I take it you haven't been here long but you clearly have no idea as to why the show wasn't working in the first place. To blame the fans, especially TOS fans with the mess the show has been IS borderline offensive. We're not the ones who made the choices, we didn't write the scripts, we didn't choose the direction. The only thing WE got is where they threw a bone here and there which seemed like a way of averting attention away from the bigger issues that had no impact on anything. I don't recall there being a demand for the new KITT to have the original's scanner sound, a pretty much throw away line referring to Devon and Bonnie or a host of small little things similar to that.

Battlestar Galactica and this show are apples and oranges, the new BGS wasn't sold as a continuation of the original, it was clearly, from the start an entirely different entity that had no connection with the original other than character names. So excuse fans of the original series, which if it weren't for them the original wouldn't have made it past its first season and there would be no new Knight Rider at all, if they have certain expectations. Only a small minority of irrational OS fans (most of which ARE NOT die hard fans) want the original series, especially with Hasselhoff and William Daniels and the nearly 27 year old Trans-Am to return along with a host other other things like the Semi being brought back or even someone who wanted Edward Mulhare to return from the apparent dead are typically mocked or put in their place for wanting such a silly thing or some cookie cutter remake of it. This is not what the rational, logical "die hard" Knight Rider fans want. But I guess it might be too much to ask for the show to keep it in the spirit of the original, to have a similar mission and ideas such as one man (or person in this more PC world) making a difference, helping the weak and powerless in fights they couldn't win on their own and not some boring "stop the terrorist of the week" angle, the total Lone Ranger aspect with some logical updates and changes to make it fit into today but still make it feel like Knight Rider, set 23 years later, not some rip off of a dozen TV shows and movies where the only thing in common with the original being a character named Michael Knight and an AI placed in a car called KITT who much of the time is little more than a prop. Even BSG, as different as it is, still has the same goal doesn't it? The whole finding Earth thing? Certainly everything else is pretty much different in one way or another but that goal remains the same.

I find it strange that your biggest apparent gripe with this episode is that KARR was a Mustang? Really? But meh, whatever I guess I'm not one of those "die hard" TOS fans that are partially to blame with the mess this show has been.

Maybe it's because I sit in on meets with the powers that be and have a real say in where this show should go, yeah that's it! Now if you excuse me, I have a meeting to go to discuss where we'll be taking Knight Rider next. I shouldn't say anything but let me tell you, it's going to be exciting! Heck with it, this idea is just too awesome to keep under wraps, next season KITT is going to be able to not only fly (we're calling it hover mode, genius, I know) but travel through time in a "time machine mode" where when KITT hits 288MPH (that's 200MPH faster than those other guys!) he disappears, leaving a flame trail behind, but uh oh there's going to be a glitch and Mike and KITT are going to be lost in the past with their only chance of getting home will be to help others and set things right that once went wrong, don't worry about the other cast though, they'll still be on but we'll mostly see them in the form of holograms that only Mike and KITT can see or hear. That only scratches the surface of what we have planned, if you like that then you're going to love our big, sweeps event where Mike and KITT go back to 1985 and meet his father and the original KITT! Now, I know you're wondering how are we going to manage this with Hasselhoff now pushing 60, well let me just say that while doing the CGI effect to make him look younger might be out of our budget range it doesn't stop us from getting someone new! How does Justin Timberlake sound? Yeah, I thought so! Oh and if we can't get William Daniels back then I have two words for you, Snoop Dog! It doesn't stop there either, the second half of the season we're going to turn things upside down when the "time travel mode" malfunctions again causing Michael and KITT to switch bodies! Hilarity ensues! Then there's the aliens.

Unfortunately we're going to be cutting the SFX budget (times are tough you know) so instead of the hardwork that Master Key Films does for this show we will be looking to Mrs. Stein's 3rd grade art class in Louisville, Kentucky to provide us with many of the effects we need. MKF will still be on board but unfortunately with only the core members locked in a janitor's closet as the janitor will no longer be needed.

Now if you excuse me, Ben is yelling that it's time to go. We just got some sweet bonuses and now we're going to be hitting Vegas in our private jet! Hopefully this time there won't be any dead hookers (that Ben, always the jokster) but you know what they say! Whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas as long as you bury the body out in the desert where no one will find it. :mrgreen:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:38 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Now if you excuse me, Ben is yelling that it's time to go. We just got some sweet bonuses and now we're going to be hitting Vegas in our private jet! Hopefully this time there won't be any dead hookers (that Ben, always the jokster) but you know what they say! Whatever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas as long as you bury the body out in the desert where no one will find it. :mrgreen:
ROFLMAO. Nice.

Knight_uk
Volunteer

Post by Knight_uk » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:42 pm

I agree with pheonix_zero, if I make a post either here or on another forum about something I don't like about KR08 and I mention I loved the original, everybody presumes I want Devon, the Hoff, William Daniels and a 82 Trans Am back.

The SSC thing didn't bother me, Torres and Rivai didn't bother me, the format of the show didn't bother me.

I just didn't want to see a hybrid of Fast and the Furious and Transformers.

The Mustang is cool and I just would have liked to have seen KITT stay like that, or similar to the pilot movie.

Also I would like a bit more continuity, GST crapped all over the pilot and went his own way.

Quite simply it didn't work as well as he intended, but I'm sure he did what he thought was right. I think Exit Light, Enter Knight was a big improvement over the first 3 episodes aired, but I felt that the show was growing on me anyway before that episode.

We haven't seen KITT transform for almost 2 and a half episodes, only KARR has transformed. I hope that is what KITT "forgot".

I have sent my letter to NBC campaigning to save the show yet some people read my posts and presume I hate the show. I really don't know why people think I want TOS back.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Sardanar wrote: The main reason BSG was successful was that the creators had a vision for a new series and stuck to it. The people working on KR don't seem to know what they want.
From my own experiences of the shows I have worked on, I would definitely be blaming the network for the lack of direction and not the fans.
PHOENIXZERO wrote: Unfortunately we're going to be cutting the SFX budget (times are tough you know) so instead of the hardwork that Master Key Films does for this show we will be looking to Mrs. Stein's 3rd grade art class in Louisville, Kentucky to provide us with many of the effects we need. MKF will still be on board but unfortunately with only the core members locked in a janitor's closet as the janitor will no longer be needed.
LOL! :mrgreen:
Well at least we have comedy to give us some relief. :D
I think the thing that stinks right now is that the economy is making us all a bit tense. Historically the entertainment industry has always been there for us in darker times. But right now even our one last hope of a nice diversion is desperately in need.
At least we can all still laugh at ourselves. :D
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.