steering wheel!

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MURDOCK
Rookie

steering wheel!

Post by MURDOCK » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Bring back the old wheel or at least something similar,it just looks sooooooooo kool!!!!!!
Attachments
knight-rider-kitt-1.jpg
knight-rider-kitt-1.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 29744 times

Lexicon
Operative

Re: steering wheel!

Post by Lexicon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 pm

The wheel may look cool but it's a big no-no from a safety standpoint not to mention it doesn't work well as far as being practical goes.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by BlueChaos » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:12 pm

Strange. Is the knight logo upside down on this one?
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:17 pm

BlueChaos wrote:Strange. Is the knight logo upside down on this one?

It wasn't put on properly. It's about 90 degrees from where it should be oriented.

Diddy1_98
Volunteer

Post by Diddy1_98 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:31 pm

The one in the pilot was close but people complained about the 'brand' name on it! That seems to be par for the new series.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:05 pm

It makes no sense from a storyline standpoint. The original steering wheel was meant to resemble the cockpit of an airplane based on Wilton Knight's previous work. Charles Graiman built the Knight 3000 and had nothing to do with building aircrafts, so there'd be no reason he'd make his vehicle resemble one.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:23 pm

There is a number of reasons for this, and one of them is for safety,it's probably for ergonomic reasons as well,and also KI3T could switch drivers in case of an emergency.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:17 am

bring back the momo steering wheel from the 2hr pilot episode, that would be much better then the crappy stock steering wheel they are using, a cool steering wheel is a must!!!!!!
in glen larson we trust.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:21 am

Lexicon wrote:The wheel may look cool but it's a big no-no from a safety standpoint not to mention it doesn't work well as far as being practical goes.
actually that's not true, i had a knight 2000 replica with the gullwing steering wheel and i had no problems driving it. and also hasselhoff had no problems driving with it for 4 seasons in the original knight rider series, so why would there be a problem with a similar updated type of steering wheel.
in glen larson we trust.

knightroostr
Stranger

Post by knightroostr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:19 am

actually the reason that the steering wheel is such a problem is because it is illegal. it must be a complete circle to conform with the transportion saftey people. there were alot of problems with people wanting steering wheels like that shortly after the show aired and they found out that it was illegal to have it on a car because it is considered unsafe. you can only grasp it on two points at a time instead of multiple points at anytime.

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:14 am

Fyi, the steering wheel used in the series is not stock! It is also a Momo, just a different type.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:52 am

After "Fast and Furious" airs later this year, let's see if GST will decide to update KITT for (hopefully) the second season.

* KITT transforming himself to KI3T v2.0 after watching Fast and Furious * :mrgreen:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

t.b.77b
Operative

Post by t.b.77b » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:03 pm

knightprobe89 wrote:
Lexicon wrote:The wheel may look cool but it's a big no-no from a safety standpoint not to mention it doesn't work well as far as being practical goes.
actually that's not true, i had a knight 2000 replica with the gullwing steering wheel and i had no problems driving it. and also hasselhoff had no problems driving with it for 4 seasons in the original knight rider series, so why would there be a problem with a similar updated type of steering wheel.
I think they mean the airbag and padding part of the safety not the drivability part of the safety.
Save the series! Save the world!
Tell you friends to tune in Wednesdays at 8 p.m.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:23 am

t.b.77b wrote:
knightprobe89 wrote:
I think they mean the airbag and padding part of the safety not the drivability part of the safety.
If you had a gullwing steering wheel like the Knight 2000, wouldn't you have to have a smaller steering ratio to match? Most cars have more than a 12:1 ratio - this means that, in most cars, you have to make 2.5 full revolutions of the steering wheel before the steering locks in one direction. So from lock to lock, you've got to turn the steering wheel quite a bit. With a conventional steering wheel, this isn't a (major) problem because you have multiple points of contact, facilitating hand-over-hand steering or any other technique that involves shuffling your hands. But with a gullwing steering wheel, quick steering changes would be more difficult. Not impossible, by any means, but definitely more difficult. (This would be why stunt KR cars were fitted with a standard wheel instead of the gullwing wheel.)

A little bit of info on steering ratios here. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:11 am

:dash: It sure looks good. cant they make a change in the 2nd sesoun???? :?: :dash4:

cazman101
Rookie

Post by cazman101 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:42 am

I don't see why they couldn't go with a funkier design for the steering wheel. It doesn't matter what shape the steering wheel is because according to the show the onboard computer will prevent the car from crashing. So the driver could be using a joystick. I would prefer a better looking dash and a funkier steering wheel.

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:49 pm

here's my modded momo wheel from the 08 pilot that I made so it looked like KI2T's old steering wheel
Attachments
My KI2T's New Wheel (final version).jpg
My KI2T's New Wheel (final version).jpg (198.87 KiB) Viewed 27901 times

bucksanass1
Volunteer

Post by bucksanass1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:18 pm

I've seen your wheel and like it alot :D 8) :good: :dash:

Kal-el4
Operative

Post by Kal-el4 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:23 pm

bucksanass1 wrote:I've seen your wheel and like it alot :D 8) :good: :dash:
thanks, but so far, my KI2T concept is still just that; a concept

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:48 am

the pilot steering wheel is awesome, they should have kept using it for the series! :good: :good: :good: :good:
in glen larson we trust.

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:40 am

Kal-el4 wrote:here's my modded momo wheel from the 08 pilot that I made so it looked like KI2T's old steering wheel
try to update this picture with the latest FLAG logo, the one that had been shown in the last episod of KR08. it should look good. Image :kitt:

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:25 am

Knight007 wrote:
Kal-el4 wrote:here's my modded momo wheel from the 08 pilot that I made so it looked like KI2T's old steering wheel
try to update this picture with the latest FLAG logo, the one that had been shown in the last episod of KR08. it should look good. Image :kitt:
the Knight's head would be the right logo for the steering wheel, as it is the logo of Knight Industries, the corporation that designed and build KITT.
FLAG is a completely different, independent organisation... the only connection is that both were founded by and belonged to Wilton Knight.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Diddy1_98 wrote:The one in the pilot was close but people complained about the 'brand' name on it! That seems to be par for the new series.
We complained from the promos but the BDP removed the MOMO name from it. After that they complaints pretty much stopped.
bucksanass1 wrote:I've seen your wheel and like it alot :D 8) :good: :dash:
I would hope so because if you some how didn't see the big attached picture I'd have to suggest seeing an Optometrist. :P
t.b.77b wrote:
knightprobe89 wrote:

I'm pretty sure air bags have nothing to do with it since I don't recall cars having them in 1982. Even today padding and air bags aren't mandatory... Or at least I don't think they are. But it's certainly the drivability issue as "proper" placement on a steering wheel is supposed to be at 10 and 2 o'clock. The K2000 gullwing pretty much only allows for 9 and 3..

On the other hand, it's television and unless they just have more restrictions now I don't see why a TV show has to completely comply with that.... Then again it could always be a Ford mandate. :roll: Personally I didn't mind the MOMO wheel once we saw it in the BDP since they removed the MOMO tag in the middle.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

stelios_z28
FLAG Recruit

Post by stelios_z28 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:55 am

Solid Snake wrote:Fyi, the steering wheel used in the series is not stock! It is also a Momo, just a different type.
i think that the new one is an isotta wheel not a momo!

NN11
Operative

Post by NN11 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:48 am

should have used the steering wheel from the pilot and add more buttons on it