Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITT Season 4
Rookie

Re: Live Discussion - Knight to King's Pawn

Post by KITT Season 4 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:16 pm

One thing i didn't understand : They take out KITT's memories and personality, but the KITT downloads himself to the internet. They why did they have to hook it into the 3000 to see if it would work? And how did they get back KITT's memories?
The only thing i can think is he downloaded his memories to the net and then they were re-downloaded and given back to the AI?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:33 pm

KITT Season 4 wrote:The only thing i can think is he downloaded his memories to the net and then they were re-downloaded and given back to the AI?
That IS what they did.. did you miss part of the episode?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Lynda414 wrote:Okay, this may just be me. I rewatched the ep and I still feel this way, so... Everyone remember at the end of this episode where Charles inspires everyone to remake FLAG and everything?

OKay, well then Sarah and Mike hug and Zoe and Billy hug, and then there is the slow pan over to KITT. I couldn't help feeling really bummed out. KITT has no one to hug him! He was just standing there watching everyone else hug and his scan bar is moving real slow. That seemed like such a sad ending to me.

Is it just me?
I noticed that too! Maybe he misses Charles, or feels left out somehow? If not, then I guess that it was a small error.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:Okay, this may just be me. I rewatched the ep and I still feel this way, so... Everyone remember at the end of this episode where Charles inspires everyone to remake FLAG and everything?

OKay, well then Sarah and Mike hug and Zoe and Billy hug, and then there is the slow pan over to KITT. I couldn't help feeling really bummed out. KITT has no one to hug him! He was just standing there watching everyone else hug and his scan bar is moving real slow. That seemed like such a sad ending to me.

Is it just me?
I noticed that too! Maybe he misses Charles, or feels left out somehow? If not, then I guess that it was a small error.
I don't know if there was an error. It feels deliberate to me. I've noticed that this KITT seems to be very interested in the relationships his humans are in. Could just be me though.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:02 pm

Lynda414 wrote:
Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:

Is it just me?
I don't know if there was an error. It feels deliberate to me. I've noticed that this KITT seems to be very interested in the relationships his humans are in. Could just be me though.
Speaking of error, I meant a minor error with the VFX. He could be very interested, perhaps observing them at the time.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
Petition #9

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:12 pm

It just struck me as so sad though! Why does KITT get no hugs!

>_>

Still loving this pic you showed me. ^_^

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:20 pm

One thing I don't get is how the N.S.A. can develop a supposedly unstoppable war machine with such a blatant weak spot in the middle of the chest. How did this thing ever survive combat?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to post, but my computer was in the shop, and I just got it back today. 5 days have gone by since the episode aired. I remember being initially disappointed with it, but let's see if i can remember what i thought. I have to say, this show is a strange one- the episodes I'm not looking forward to are the ones i really enjoy, and the ones I'm really looking forward to are really a bit of a letdown. I wasn't going to sift though 12 pages of comments to see what anyone else might have said, I'm just going to go ahead with my thoughts.
1) I was disappointed in the lack of a funeral for Charles, if for no other reason then to see Carrie interacting with the others one last time. I liked Charles' hologram at the beginning and end, and the FLAG and Wilton Knight mentions. I'm glad they finally got all the sexual tension between Mike and Sarah out of the way.
2) I guess I'll talk about the battle with KARR- i thought it was too short, and too dark. I couldn't really tell what was going on half the time, like when Mike used his Grappling hook. I guess KI3T CAN turbo boost in normal mode, but that was one of the weakest I've ever seen. And KARR was defeated way too easily. speaking of KARR, I liked the idea that he wanted Mike to be his only partner, but it would have been better served if there had been more back story on it. And I would have liked to see KARR more in Mustang mode- he looked awesome. But, why would Charles build something like that anyway? And what was KARR doing this whole time- just sitting around, waiting for Mike?
What's going on next week? i was looking forward to the strength serum episode- but we're getting the bank robbery episode? Are they rearranging episodes again? Makes me wonder if you know who IS going to show up at the end. (groan.)
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:22 am

One thing which got me thinking was at the end of the episode we saw Kitts nano-skin regenerate and they used the old FX from the pilot movie.

Do you think this might mean they are going to switch back to using this kind of transformation instead of the mechanical?

I did think that it looked a little bit like Harry Potter magic, but in general I wouldn't be too worried if they moved away from the transformer FX.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 am

Rockatteer wrote:Why did they have to ruin the episode by throwing in a nun-to-subtle sex scene??

Sarah sitting on Mike grinding her hips under the sheets!?

What the hell are the producers thinking now? they didn't learn the first time??

I guess they're not aiming for the family demographic.

What was that ramp thing Kitt jumped off to do the grappling hook and flip move?
yeah i thought the sex scene with mike grinding sarah under the sheets was a bit much for knight rider, did we really need to see that, totally unneccessary :shock:
in glen larson we trust.

dcpan
Volunteer

Post by dcpan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 am

Special effects team, awesome job!

Sarah really looked nice.

Seriously though, right before the episode, I picked up my parents at the airport, and was able to make it home in time for Knight Rider.

I was soooo happy my dad was no where in the room and my mom had her back to the TV when Michael and Sarah got all over each other.

As much as I would have appreciated it if my parents weren't there, wasn't this somewhat of a family show?

Also, as I'm sure numerous folks have mentioned before me, KARR went down a little easy.

But seriously though, the lack of continuity bothers me, within the show.

In one of the earlier episodes, KITT went offline because of landing from turboboost in normal mode. Granted one could argue that the transformation in midair was what compromised structural integrity, being able to turboboost in normal mode only negates the need for attack mode further.

Similarly, how was Michael and KITT able to survive machine gun fire when KITT's nanoskin is offline when they first drove out of the crate and KITT was rebooting? Michael drove him through a wall no less. As much as I prefer MBS over nanoskin, lack of continuity within show bothers me more.

I have mixed feelings about the episode. The episode on its own merit was actually pretty good. However, consider how much KARR was played up and stuff, this SHOULD have been two episode and the one episode rush crunch was a let down. I would have preferred to see more KARR than Billy playing the stupid XBOX...I thought that was handled pretty poorly.

I've seen Billy in BSG...he's not a bad actor, but the writers here aren't giving him much to work with, IMHO.

Anyhow, I don't want to turn this into a rant, so I'll stop here....

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:03 am

dcpan wrote:In one of the earlier episodes, KITT went offline because of landing from turboboost in normal mode. Granted one could argue that the transformation in midair was what compromised structural integrity, being able to turboboost in normal mode only negates the need for attack mode further.
Actually the reason for Kitt's demise (as explained in that scene) was because he landed before completing the transformation process and so wasn't structurally 100% at the time of landing impact.

And here's a question about the whole Nano-skin thing....

After his fight with Karr Kitt is pretty beaten up. and I would presume much of the damage would have been internal, such as engine damage etc. Now at the end we see Kitt repair himself once the Nano thingy chips where fixed... so does that mean that Kitt's entire construction (engine, wind screens, fan belt, pistons, exhaust pipe etc etc) are all built with nano-tech?

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Rockatteer wrote: And here's a question about the whole Nano-skin thing....

After his fight with Karr Kitt is pretty beaten up. and I would presume much of the damage would have been internal, such as engine damage etc. Now at the end we see Kitt repair himself once the Nano thingy chips where fixed... so does that mean that Kitt's entire construction (engine, wind screens, fan belt, pistons, exhaust pipe etc etc) are all built with nano-tech?
I'd imagine seeing as the engine noise changes when the car transforms, then the answer is yes...

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:37 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:

I'd imagine seeing as the engine noise changes when the car transforms, then the answer is yes...
KI3T has many plotholes... This could just another on the list. Like his 3D Object Generator, or his Glovebox of Holding.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:34 pm

I wonder if it's one of KITT's modes?

Mike - KITT we gotta act fast if we're going to save those hostages from that bomb and we only have one shot at this, activate plot hole mode!

KITT - Plot hole mode activated, what size would you prefer Michael? You can choose between insignificant, small, annoying, drive a semi-truck through, fly a jumbo jet through, propel a air craft carrier through or "that just doesn't make any sense at all" Michael.

Mike - ...... Uhhh, hmm... Could you repeat that?

KITT - You can choose between insignificant, small, annoying, drive a semi-truck through, fly a jumbo jet through, propel a air craft carrier through or "that just doesn't ma...

*Bomb explodes*

Mike - Oh ****! KITT Go with the last one!

KITT - Initiating "that just doesn't make any sense" level plot hole generation.

Mike - Okay KITT, now time travel mode!

KITT - Time Travel mode activating, Michael please choose a time.

Mike - How about to ten minutes before the hostages were taken KITT?

KITT - You got it brosef.

Mike - *Thinking to himself* What the hell is brosef? *Sighs*

*Time Travel Mode activates in a eerily similar fashion as some well known movie from 1985 that spawned two sequels as Mike and KITT disappear leaving a flame trail behind and they arrive to stop the bad guys in less than 20 seconds and the universe implodes.*

EDIT: Eh, this could be better but what do you expect for something I wrote in less than five minutes? :P
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:45 pm

No, it's more like this:

Mike: KITT, activate Plothole Mode!
KI3T: Michael, I'm ALWAYS in Plothole Mode. You merely have to choose a function.
Mike: How many do you have?
KI3T: There is my 3D Object Generator, my Glovebox of magical healing and infinite carrying capacity, my Nanoskin of 'breaking down just when we need it most', my ability to display non-existant camera angles, my transforming into any FORD vehicle, my-
Mike: Okay, I have a headache now... I'm just going to lie here for a bit.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:12 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:

I'm sure that KI3T had internal damage, but yeah, the nanos can repair his internal parts as well. Note that this doesn't mean that KI3T's internal parts are comprised of the same material as his nanoskin - he very well could have a "regular" engine that is only repaired by the nanotech when it is damaged. But then, that may not be the case. I just suspend disbelief for these parts - he can repair himself, woo! Wish my vehicle could do that.
Rockatteer wrote:One thing which got me thinking was at the end of the episode we saw Kitts nano-skin regenerate and they used the old FX from the pilot movie.

Do you think this might mean they are going to switch back to using this kind of transformation instead of the mechanical?

I did think that it looked a little bit like Harry Potter magic, but in general I wouldn't be too worried if they moved away from the transformer FX.
To clarify, that actually wasn't the original effect from the pilot movie - the pilot had a much more expensive "growing" effect that probably won't ever be used in the TV series because of its complexity. We've seen this effect before, albeit to a much lesser extent - rewatch the episode where Mike works with that British agent. When the truck is hit by bullets, you see the nanotech working with a similar blue effect. I think we'll only see this effect when KI3T repairs himself - but then hey, I could be wrong. It would be kind of cool to see this effect used for the transformation into Attack Mode, but it would require the effects team to create a new transformation effect instead of reusing the current one (which would require more time and more money).
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:12 pm

lunchmeat wrote:I'm sure that KI3T had internal damage, but yeah, the nanos can repair his internal parts as well. Note that this doesn't mean that KI3T's internal parts are comprised of the same material as his nano-skin - he very well could have a "regular" engine that is only repaired by the nanotech when it is damaged.
And how exactly would the nana-tech repair damage if the engine parts aren't made from a nano-material?

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:40 pm

I believe his engine's entirely made made of nano-tech, or maybe just the engine parts that suffer from wear and tear the most.
Petition #9

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:54 am

Now that I've caught up (after a long absence from the show), I very much enjoyed this one. I wouldn't have minded a little more of KARR (car-KARR would do just fine) either, but I can't say I'm disappointed. I was well aware that this was the final part of a transitional arc that had to entirely change the show's direction. A rampant Mustang monopolizing the episode would have severed the storytelling.

I do have issues with the continuity, however. I'm on the bottom of the list of those who care about a connection with the original series (hell, I still think this should have been a reboot and not a continuation), but the continuity as it stands now literally doesn't make sense. This is sloppy writing and it's not particularly appreciated even by me. It seems that they're going for sort of a "vague sequel" situation. But, having dealt with it in both movies and comics, I can tell with certainty that it rarely works; you only manage to piss off those who follow the continuity and those who don't... well, they'll eat up anything, anyway. So, yeah, someone's going to have to come out and clear that up for us.

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:56 am

Rockatteer wrote:
lunchmeat wrote:I'm sure that KI3T had internal damage, but yeah, the nanos can repair his internal parts as well. Note that this doesn't mean that KI3T's internal parts are comprised of the same material as his nano-skin - he very well could have a "regular" engine that is only repaired by the nanotech when it is damaged.
And how exactly would the nana-tech repair damage if the engine parts aren't made from a nano-material?
KI3T's nanoskin is comprised of tiny nanomachines that repair damage. It's logical that KI3T's engine is made of standard materials (although with higher tolerances and durability, of course) and if anything goes wrong, the nanotech is automatically deployed to fix it. Nanotech, in the sci-fi world (and even the real world, to an extent), is really complicated and allows for a lot of different ideas and solutions, because nanomachines can do almost anything. This is due to their manipulation of objects on the molecular level, which is why KI3T can do what he does.

A lot of people say that the 3D object generator doesn't make sense, but active nanotechnology would be able to create an object out of thin air by rearranging molecules. As such, KI3T could create objects out of thin air - he could even create a new engine for himself, provided he had the raw molecular materials. (Note that I'm not advocating the object generator; it's a deus ex machina, and it probably shouldn't be used in future scripts, even if it is plausible in the sci-fi world.)

There's more here at Wikipedia, if you're a nerd like me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_nanotechnology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:36 pm

There's something I don't get.

Karr is suppose to be as strong as Kitt right?

so how is it that Kitt was able to blow right through Karr as if he was normal glass and metal?

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:57 pm

I was just thinking about something...if Karr was meant as a war machine, to be used in the desert, why would they make him into a Mustang? Isn't that just...stupid? Shouldn't he transform into, I don't know, a Land Rover? Something practical? Just a thought :P
---
Kitt the Cat, but you can call me Spiff.

Billy: "I just ask cause it sounds like Kitt's making you his bitch..."
Mike: "Get back to the math BILLY!"

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:02 pm

Maybe he can transform into different cars liek KITT can, and for some reason he chose to look like KITT.

kittxthexcat
Rookie

Post by kittxthexcat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 pm

Lynda414 wrote:Maybe he can transform into different cars liek KITT can, and for some reason he chose to look like KITT.
Ha, true XD -feels stupid- Still, he'd make a pretty sweet Land Rover :P
---
Kitt the Cat, but you can call me Spiff.

Billy: "I just ask cause it sounds like Kitt's making you his bitch..."
Mike: "Get back to the math BILLY!"