Justifying A Second Season

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Re: Justifying A Second Season

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:07 pm

KittKattBar wrote:The haters don't get that 25 years have elapsed since TOS ended. Times and technology have changed. If KR08 were to only do stuff like in the 80s, then it really would suck. The show has to be modern and use modern technology if it's to have a chance. Those who want 80s stuff just need to watch TOS on DVD.
Right on! While I would not mind more solid connections to the TOS I think that wishing for the old KITT to reappear out of the blue as if no time has passed between the TOS and the new show is utter nonsense. They could make him reappear in flashbacks though to connect the past with the present.

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 pm

i for one am no hater of this new show, but when they were building up the pilot, justin bruening said how its not a remake, its a continuation of the original series. i loved the concept and thought it fitting because you couldnt remake the original, it was a really enjoyable series and remaking it, i dont think it would have lived up to it. now this series is going through the same problems as superman returns, as you're not quite sure if its a sequel or a remake or what. i think thats what the fans are upset about. theres no identity to this new show. its like a remakequel because they're picking and choosing which elements to keep.

if they kept the series as what it was intended to be, as a sequel, i think there wouldnt be as much confusion as there is right now. i love this series, but it is difficult to consider this a sequel to the original. i think the backdoor pilot was a sequel to the original, but the series itself has been set in its own continuity with no real connection to the original. i think the fans were expecting the series to be a continuation of the backdoor pilot, which i dont think it ended up being that way.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:31 pm

KittKattBar wrote:The haters don't get that 25 years have elapsed since TOS ended. Times and technology have changed. If KR08 were to only do stuff like in the 80s, then it really would suck. The show has to be modern and use modern technology if it's to have a chance. Those who want 80s stuff just need to watch TOS on DVD.
Nope. I'm a hater. I haven't complained once about KITT's technology. I have complained about the poor writing, lack of development of KITT and Michael's relationship, too many characters, unnecessary exposition, etc. All these things are tied to the poor quality of the creative direction of the show, they have nothing to do with the technology. Such things are timeless and aren't limited to a time period or decade. That's why Casablanca in its black and white film format will always be better than Speed Racer despite the fact that Speed Racer is a CG feast and used the latest film making technology available. Creatively KR08 sucks. TOS is a hundred times better than KR08 and TOS wasn't an Emmy type show. Which really goes to show just how bad KR08 truly is.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:47 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:Nope. I'm a hater. I haven't complained once about KITT's technology. I have complained about the poor writing, lack of development of KITT and Michael's relationship, too many characters, unnecessary exposition, etc. All these things are tied to the poor quality of the creative direction of the show, they have nothing to do with the technology. Such things are timeless and aren't limited to a time period or decade. That's why Casablanca in its black and white film format will always be better than Speed Racer despite the fact that Speed Racer is a CG feast and used the latest film making technology available. Creatively KR08 sucks. TOS is a hundred times better than KR08 and TOS wasn't an Emmy type show. Which really goes to show just how bad KR08 truly is.

Oh boy! :roll:

First of all your comparison between Casablanca a 1930's drama classic and the failed cartoon to life action movie of Speed Racer is laughable as the 2 are totally unrelated plotwise, dramawise and just about everything else you can think off wise...

Second of all it is not true that there has been no development whatsoever of the relationship between KITT and Michael especially in the latter episodes leading to the reboot. And the large cast has now benn largely eliminated in the reboot too so again wrong on those 2 counts as well...

Third of all there is nothing wrong with using CG as long as you do not rely on it too much or in a too obvious fashion, I have no problem with transformations as long as they do not overdo it as some previous episodes did...

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:51 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:Nope. I'm a hater. I haven't complained once about KITT's technology. I have complained about the poor writing, lack of development of KITT and Michael's relationship, too many characters, unnecessary exposition, etc. All these things are tied to the poor quality of the creative direction of the show, they have nothing to do with the technology. Such things are timeless and aren't limited to a time period or decade. That's why Casablanca in its black and white film format will always be better than Speed Racer despite the fact that Speed Racer is a CG feast and used the latest film making technology available. Creatively KR08 sucks. TOS is a hundred times better than KR08 and TOS wasn't an Emmy type show. Which really goes to show just how bad KR08 truly is.

Oh boy! :roll:

First of all your comparison between Casablanca a 1930's drama classic and the failed cartoon to life action movie of Speed Racer is laughable as the 2 are totally unrelated plotwise, dramawise and just about everything else you can think off wise...

Second of all it is not true that there has been no development whatsoever of the relationship between KITT and Michael especially in the latter episodes leading to the reboot. And the large cast has now benn largely eliminated in the reboot too so again wrong on those 2 counts as well...

Third of all there is nothing wrong with using CG as long as you do not rely on it too much or in a too obvious fashion, I have no problem with transformations as long as they do not overdo it as some previous episodes did...
The comparison was done to point out how kittkattbar misses the issue. Its not about KITT's technology, the hate has nothing to do with that. Just as Speed Racer and Casablanca have nothing to do with technology. Its about good storytelling, development of characters especially the two who are the focus of the show. What you're saying may be true, but its too little too late. This show is getting the axe and I can't f-ing wait.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:The comparison was done to point out how kittkattbar misses the issue. Its not about KITT's technology, the hate has nothing to do with that. Just as Speed Racer and Casablanca have nothing to do with technology. Its about good storytelling, development of characters especially the two who are the focus of the show. What you're saying may be true, but its too little too late. This show is getting the axe and I can't f-ing wait.
And as I said you are an idiot if you feel that way because it will also mean the end of the franchise, you may want KR to become another dead franchise for all time...

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:56 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:The comparison was done to point out how kittkattbar misses the issue. Its not about KITT's technology, the hate has nothing to do with that. Just as Speed Racer and Casablanca have nothing to do with technology. Its about good storytelling, development of characters especially the two who are the focus of the show. What you're saying may be true, but its too little too late. This show is getting the axe and I can't f-ing wait.
And as I said you are an idiot if you feel that way because it will also mean the end of the franchise, you may want KR to become another dead franchise for all time...
I'd rather have no KR than a pale copy of the original. Its an inferior production line model, this KR08. Time to put it out of its misery.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
I'd rather have no KR than a pale copy of the original. Its an inferior production line model, this KR08. Time to put it out of its misery.
Even though you agree they have done better with the reboot and all you still want it axed and that tells us that you sir are no fan...

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:11 pm

K.A.C.I. wrote:
DrWho2005 wrote:I really dont get why people think like this.
The show is a failure.
The ratings are horrible.
Having the originals back will up the ratings.

What dont you people get?!!?
NO. NO. NO!
Did you even read my post in its entirety?
Let me try saying that again: I HAVE SEEN IT DONE. IT DOES NOT WORK.

If you want to see the originals, watch the damn DVDs and leave KR08 alone.
Dont bring back originals?

It works fine..dont you know the massive world wide hit that is Doctor Who?

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:22 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:
K.A.C.I. wrote: Dont bring back originals?
Dr Who is a total different animal that has been ongoing in the UK for decades now. Given the fact that the Doctor can be reborn in a new body allows the show to basically continue on forever. But the visual FX even on that show have been largely improved over their 60's counterparts...

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lynda414 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:30 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
DrWho2005 wrote:
K.A.C.I. wrote: Dont bring back originals?
Dr Who is a total different animal that has been ongoing in the UK for decades now. Given the fact that the Doctor can be reborn in a new body allows the show to basically continue on forever. But the visual FX even on that show have been largely improved over their 60's counterparts...
Yeah, I watch the new Dr Who. But I won't watch the older eps. Because they are old.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Lynda414 wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:Yeah, I watch the new Dr Who. But I won't watch the older eps. Because they are old.
I don't understand what you are implying or trying to say here with this? Are you being sarcastic? If so it is misplaced because I never implied that I do not watch nor that the originals should not be watched be it Dr Who or K.R

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:40 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:Yeah, I watch the new Dr Who. But I won't watch the older eps. Because they are old.
I don't understand what you are implying or trying to say here with this? Are you being sarcastic? If so it is misplaced because I never implied that I do not watch nor that the originals should not be watched be it Dr Who or K.R
Nah, no sarcasm, I am just saying that I don't want to see 80s SFX in a show made today. I don't watch much of the TOS anymore. I've outgrown it I think.

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Lynda414 wrote:
Yeah, I watch the new Dr Who. But I won't watch the older eps. Because they are old.
What a stupid thing to say.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:04 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:
What a stupid thing to say.
That's your opinion. *shrug*