Ratings for "Knight to King's Pawn"

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Ratings for "Knight to King's Pawn"

Post by neps » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:44 am

last week: 3.4/5 viewtopic.php?f=1047&t=13429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
from http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/200104911/m/299100581 wrote:NBC lagged, meanwhile, finishing in the distant No. 4 spot with its line-up of soon-to-depart Knight Rider (#4: 3.2/ 5), a repeat of Law & Order: SVU (#4: 3.8/ 6) and granddaddy Law & Order (#3: 5.6/ 9). While Law & Order did build from the second half of the SVU encore (4.0/ 6 at 9:30 p.m.) by 40 percent, let’s be honest: the ratings are certainly not what they used to be.
looks like NBCs lack of promotion during Tuesdays Primetime/Late Night paid off!

sigh.

remember - these numbers may improve as west cost comes in.

Amir
Operative

Re: Ratings for "Knight to King's Pawn"

Post by Amir » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 am

I'm no great american-ratings expert, but it seems to me that after a period of bad episodes that lost Knight Rider quite a few viewers since episode 1, the show has steadied itself quite nicely and has a regular fan-base who return every week. Problem is you need to do SOMETHING in order to get new viewers or older ones back, and between the impossible competition and the fact NBC doesn't really do a whole lot in term of promoting Knight Rider, that isn't going to happen.

With Knight Rider being quite a costly show, I'm struggling to believe NBC has just given up on it (and Wednesday nights) weeks ago and is just putting it there knowing it will be bitten hard, but how else can you analyze the situation?

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:52 am

Can't wait for number of viewers and demos. I hope we'll get 6-7 or more million viewers

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 am

Yeah, I believe they will improve somewhat. 3.4 is more like it.

What's important is that the show is still holding on its viewers. It hasn't imploded, even when in direct competition with Lost and American Idol.

I think we just might survive...

Reaction to yesterday's episode has been mostly positive. People were RAVING on Twitter. Even the NBC boards are kinda positive(!)

TravisKnight01
Recruit

Post by TravisKnight01 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:35 am

Wow i give credit to the guys on the knight rider staff for nbc they are keeping there numbers and since next weeks episode is actually #17 i think were in for some solid times.I loved last nights episode ac/dc and karr. :kitt2: :kitt2:

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am

Ok as usual I don't understand this system, could somebody tell me in laymans terms what the figures are in millions?

I'm lost :? :?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:56 am

more specific stats:
NBC lagged, meanwhile, finishing in the distant No. 4 spot with its line-up of soon-to-depart Knight Rider (Viewers: #4, 4.98 million; A18-49: #4, 1.5/ 4), a repeat of Law & Order: SVU (Viewers: #4, 5.57 million; A18-49: #4, 1.7/ 4) and granddaddy Law & Order (Viewers: #3, 8.49 million; A18-49: #3, 2.5/ 7). While Law & Order did build from the second half of the SVU encore (Viewers: 5.83 million; A18-49: 1.8/ 4 at 9:30 p.m.) by 2.66 million viewers and 39 percent in the demo, let’s be honest: the ratings are certainly not what they used to be.
here is specifics on ratings/shares from wikipedia:
The most commonly cited Nielsen results are reported in two measurements: ratings points and share, usually reported as (ratings points/share). As of September 1, 2008, there are an estimated 114.5 million television households in the United States. A single national ratings point represents one percent of the total number, or 1,145,000 households for the 2006-07 season. Share is the percentage of television sets in use tuned to the program.

For example, Nielsen may report a show as receiving a 9.2/15 during its broadcast, meaning that on average 9.2 percent of households were tuned in at any given moment. Additionally, 15 percent of all televisions in use at the time were tuned into this program (i.e. how many of those televisions were watching this particular show). Nielsen re-estimates the number of households each August for the upcoming television season.

tmtcnya
Volunteer

Post by tmtcnya » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Its the networks fault. Do not blame the show. The show is really good. I never see anything as far as promotion goes.

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Promotion does indeed suck... but why hype it when it's has probably been canceled... (nothing is for sure yet... just saying), and they are just waiting to let it run it's course.

However... the numbers for the last 4 episodes, though, seem to be steady... not a giant leap by any means... but they don't seem to be dropping off majorly either...

Haven't the last 4 episode been in the 3.0-3.5 category? I might be wrong. I would think that if it was to stay consistent there might be a better chance that we get a possible second season...

Who knows...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:59 pm

If TVByTheNumbers.com is correct then this episode was the second least watched episode of the series.. It was even spanked by Cuidado con el Angel on Univision. Yeah, that is not good news.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/01/22/we ... lost/11338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: D'oh I see Neil posted the Zap2It article and it mentioned the total number of viewers, though they're slightly higher there than they are on TVBtN.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:52 pm

I think if we lost any, the new LOST episode would've contributed to that. But really, I am quite surprised to see the steady numbers.

We lost a drastic amount of viewers that week of obamanation in the beginning of november (or was it the end of Oct?) and haven't really recovered since. honestly, i don't even know if it was just the fact that some of the eps in the middle weren't as great but also because the show went off the air that week..when it was still new, perhaps leading people to believe that its just gone and scrappy. Hell WE were annoyed that it wasn't on, imagine casual viewers, they would just tune out.... and not tune back in thinking they missed an ep or something.

TallSox08
Volunteer

Post by TallSox08 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:50 pm

The major upside to the below average ratings is at least they are consistent, they havent dipped significantly since the "Obamamercial" that aired back in October. The silver lining is that they have a consistent audience that hopefully they can build upon after this reboot and can have a second season commissioned. If they can figure out a way to build upon that audience (and judging by the threads there is plenty of feedback as to how to do so) NBC could have a sleeper hit on their hands.

The groundwork is there, they just need to build something sturdy upon it.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:14 pm

yea but honestly if your a network person what are gonna do.... Continue to throw money at something that's not panning out or throw another reality show on tv like the bridesmade (spin off of the batcherolette) NBC has no money invested in a reality show that can probally hit the numbers knight rider is hitting.

Honestly look at rock of love for instance..... Most watched tv show in vh1 history. I think it had like 3 million or so viewers. but you see a commercial for it every 10 minutes on vh1.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

KnightIndustriesTT
Rookie

Post by KnightIndustriesTT » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:45 pm

Luis wrote:Yeah, I believe they will improve somewhat. 3.4 is more like it.

What's important is that the show is still holding on its viewers. It hasn't imploded, even when in direct competition with Lost and American Idol.

I think we just might survive...

Reaction to yesterday's episode has been mostly positive. People were RAVING on Twitter. Even the NBC boards are kinda positive(!)
So true, even with such massive competition and a questionable start they've got an extremely steady audience established that keeps coming back for more Knight Rider every single week regardless of what else is on TV. They pulled these ratings even up against LOST's 3-hour special/premiere night and a good number of scifi fans probably are interested in both shows so I think it also shows some good strength in that steady audience of KR viewers that NBC has right now in that some KR fans likely may have put off even watching something as huge as the Lost Special to watch KR before switching over to ABC to watch the 2-hour premiere. The overall feedback on the show has also turned around quite a bit in the last 3 weeks as the reboot arc has taken effect.

I suppose it's up to them to decide if having a steady audience that they've gotten addicted to the show is good enough to try to build off of and there are plenty of good ideas out there on how to grow the audience from here now that the reboot is in effect and the cost of the show is likely cheaper now having shed 3 stars which also leaves a better balance of the budget for Master Key's work. Also NBC should take note that scifi shows often get into their groove in the second season with all of the establishment out of the way.

adamtrek
Recruit

Post by adamtrek » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:55 pm

neps wrote:soon-to-depart Knight Rider (#4: 3.2/ 5)
So i guess this means the show is not getting renewed for another year? What else can soon-to-depart mean?

Well, at least Justin and Deanna and the rest of the gang have a decent resume enhancer.
Watching KITT turbo boost since 1982.

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:45 pm

adamtrek wrote:
neps wrote:soon-to-depart Knight Rider (#4: 3.2/ 5)
So i guess this means the show is not getting renewed for another year? What else can soon-to-depart mean?

Well, at least Justin and Deanna and the rest of the gang have a decent resume enhancer.
Soon-to-depart could also mean that the season is almost ending... keyword could.

knight_Sam
Recruit

Post by knight_Sam » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08 am

I HAVE A SIMPLE QUESTION WHY CAN KR NOT BE MOVED TO A BETTER DAY & SLOT? WEEKEND PRIME TIME SOUNDS A WINNER... IS NBC LISTENING?

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:21 am

^ What would prime time be? Sunday? NBC has NFL.

Saturday? thats a terrible terrible time. Friday? Even worse.

So far Thursdays seem to have less competition..but really, I don't think its just the time slot.

NBC needs to have some GOOD promotion.

edit: But I definitely agree with you... NBC really needs to start listening :( . I hope that the retooling is an indication that they have started and that there are good things to come. :D

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:01 am

Most of us were wishing for the KARR episode to save the series, but look where "No Brains Company" have gotten us to. They are not doing any effort in promotions, as Neil said (and let me paraphrase it), they let the fanbase do the promotion for them, KRO was doing way more promotion than NBC. KRO members felt that there was many material flying out there about KARR, but really, it was all credits to KRO and MKFX, none from NBC thank you very much.

Would be surprised if the series actually gets a second season. But hey, maybe it might! The show has a good, stable fanbase and NBC doesn't have to spend a lot of promotionals for it, there are still about five million people in the U.S who will keep watching it each week. Cheap show, quite good number of viewers, so why can't they continue it? They got a heck lot of money from FORD yet they're not spending much of it, so who's really raking in the money now?

Maybe the thing that will save KR, is for FORD to have better sales of Mustang GT500 and GT500KR this year, that means success for the show in FORD's eyes :mrgreen:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:06 pm

BlueChaos wrote:Most of us were wishing for the KARR episode to save the series, but look where "No Brains Company" have gotten us to. They are not doing any effort in promotions, as Neil said (and let me paraphrase it), they let the fanbase do the promotion for them, KRO was doing way more promotion than NBC. KRO members felt that there was many material flying out there about KARR, but really, it was all credits to KRO and MKFX, none from NBC thank you very much.

Would be surprised if the series actually gets a second season. But hey, maybe it might! The show has a good, stable fanbase and NBC doesn't have to spend a lot of promotionals for it, there are still about five million people in the U.S who will keep watching it each week. Cheap show, quite good number of viewers, so why can't they continue it? They got a heck lot of money from FORD yet they're not spending much of it, so who's really raking in the money now?

Maybe the thing that will save KR, is for FORD to have better sales of Mustang GT500 and GT500KR this year, that means success for the show in FORD's eyes :mrgreen:
I agree, NBC should really scratch themselves behind the ears!

As for Ford, the Mustang, the GT500 and KR are selling fine as is. Yet the general relationship with Ford and a high octane series can also be beneficial for Ford in general and thus a reason to stick to the show. To be honest, if GM was doing the show it would have been killed already, as GM has NO money for this kind of stuff. Not saying Ford has truckloads, but still they are in considerably better shape than GM.
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:28 am

PROMOTION is the magic word. KR needs PROMOTION. I hardly ever seen any sort of promotion. They should start promoting the show not just on the network, but in other ways. A billboard or on a bus perhaps? :)
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:34 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:PROMOTION is the magic word. KR needs PROMOTION. I hardly ever seen any sort of promotion. They should start promoting the show not just on the network, but in other ways. A billboard or on a bus perhaps? :)
I can see some of the cheesy billboard slogans. Like: "Don't you wish you had Turbo Boost for the Traffic Jams?" That kind of stuff. >_<

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:01 am

i agree......knight rider should get rather deserves a second season simply becaus of the fact that the show quite literally is holding on its own....no promotion....no funds....and still its getting 5 mil viewers which btw is a steady fanbase......so if NO BRAINS COMPANY! has in fact a LITTLE matter upstairs they would renew it rather than put another series which will most definately fail cse of NO BRAINS COMPANYS advertising policy.....which sucks btw. and the fact that there is bone crushing competition on that day.im surprised if u even look at it this way that NBC is thinking of weather it should come back or not...they really have NO BRAINS!
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:02 pm

ronni3 wrote:i agree......knight rider should get rather deserves a second season simply becaus of the fact that the show quite literally is holding on its own....no promotion....no funds....and still its getting 5 mil viewers which btw is a steady fanbase......so if NO BRAINS COMPANY! has in fact a LITTLE matter upstairs they would renew it rather than put another series which will most definately fail cse of NO BRAINS COMPANYS advertising policy.....which sucks btw. and the fact that there is bone crushing competition on that day.im surprised if u even look at it this way that NBC is thinking of weather it should come back or not...they really have NO BRAINS!
It's time they do promotion OUTSIDE of NBC. A few billboards and stuff...maybe have KI3T "appear" on a talk show, some small promotions here and there...maybe on the internet. Maybe they could use Yahoo Google, and MSN's homepage with a KR theme? Or at least advertise on their own networks.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:18 am

Here is a total viewers chart that I've been updating since the premier episode.
Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (41.77 KiB) Viewed 18273 times